• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know what?
To please the totally non-judgmental and understanding people of this fair blog, I am strongly considering not cutting anyone.

Except Snake! I really don't like Snake!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No, she hasn't been the forefront of the campaign, but do you really think Sylveon, Marill, or Gardevoir would take Jigglypuff's spot in Smash Bros.? The fact is that through Jigglypuff, Pokemon would have representation of a brand new "hot ticket" type that the roster would otherwise completely lack. Through Fair-type Jigglypuff being in Smash Bros., people would be reminded of X&Y and the new Fairy-type. Through newfound relevant Jigglypuff in Pokemon, people would be reminded that she's a playable character in that hot Nintendo fighting game on the Wii U and 3DS. Her newfound typing goes hand-in-hand with vetership in Smash Bros., I'm saying, not purely one or the other. Pokemon Trainer's starters are relevant to Pokemon X&Y in that they're available to choose from, which just so happens to coincide with their notability in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and likewise bringing relevance into SSB4 themselves. Do you understand me yet, or do I need to elaborate better?

And Jigglypuff could really do with a better Up Special than Sing. Fairy-typing would be the perfect opportunity to shift her moves around like how Pound was changed into her Side Special in Melee.
X&Y is probably getting their representation through Mewtwo's mega evolution(s), possibly even Lucario's and Charizard's (though I really doubt this one), so it's not that necessary. Also, Jigglypuff doesn't need Fairy type in the same vein that Mewtwo wants to represent its new forms, it's a new typing that doesn't have any defining effect on the character and on top of that, typing has barely played a part in Smash representation considering we didn't get a Dark or Steel rep back in Melee and the Steel type (and Poison type) we did get weren't represented via his moves.

Also, Sing is its trademark, removing that is like removing Yoshi's Up Special. It can use something more useful, but you're sacrificing its character in the process. You know, it would be funny if Sing turns out to be Fairy type.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Anybody who thinks THIS is why he'd stay knows absolutely nothing about how characters get cut. Being a character that people like doesn't save you from being cut, Wolf is popular, but guess what: Others are popular too. You have to make the cuts that are the least big of a problem regardless that it's still a problem. This kind of stuff you are mentioning didn't save Mewtwo or Roy so it sure as hell isn't going to save Wolf.

If I here one more person talk about Ike & Lucario getting cut and Wolf not being a choice for cuts I'm gonna shoot myself in the face.

Careful now. You may be setting yourself up for the emergency room.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If there has to be ONE cut, who would it be?
My money's on Solid Snake.
See, this **** is hard now, because usually I'd say Toon Link, but that obviously doesn't run anymore. Previously Lucario would have been my second choice after that, but you know, Mega Evolution and all that. As of right now, I feel it could be Wolf, but Snake, Ike and Lucas are also in the danger zone I feel.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
This is actually my bet too. The only way Snake will return is if Kojima asks again, which I don't think he will. It seems like it could be a passing "thanks for putting him in a game haha" and that's that. (Doesn't want to overstay his welcome.)

Unless Sakurai feels Snake should return too. Then that's an easy character to get again.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
If we're getting a Super Bash Sisters then I wantz mah Chikorita.
No, Meganium is sexier better.

No.

I guess I would chose...urgh....either Falco or Wolf. Falco is more iconic, but Wolf has a more unique moveset and is a rival character.... I hate cuts...

----

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not too fond of cuts either (Thank goodness Toon Link is spared) and there really aren't as many likely ones as there were in Melee since they pretty much all deserve to come back imo. I hope Sakurai just tries to bring as many of them back as he can.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I guess I would chose...urgh....either Falco or Wolf. Falco is more iconic, but Wolf has a more unique moveset and is a rival character.... I hate cuts...

----
I think a third party that only got in because of a personal friendship with the developer has a lower chance of returning than a character who has earned his spot in 2/3 entries in the series so far...

I also hate cuts, and I'm willing to bet Sakurai does too. I really do think, because of toon link, that we should stop feeling like we should discuss "who should be cut." Haha it may be pointless, and everyone returns.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thing is, no character in Brawl's roster really has any good reason to be cut (barring time constraints).

That's why predicting cuts is so hard.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
X&Y is probably getting their representation through Mewtwo's mega evolution(s), possibly even Lucario's and Charizard's (though I really doubt this one), so it's not that necessary. Also, Jigglypuff doesn't need Fairy type in the same vein that Mewtwo wants to represent its new forms, it's a new typing that doesn't have any defining effect on the character (for instance, we haven't seen it use a move related to Fairy types yet) and on top of that, typing has barely played a part in Smash representation considering we didn't get a Dark or Steel rep back in Melee and the Steel type (and Poison type) we did get weren't represented via their moves.

Also, Sing is its trademark, removing that is like removing Yoshi's Up Special, it can use something more useful, but you're sacrificing its character in the process.
Mewtwo can easily get away with not having its Mega Evolutions in gameplay whatsoever outside of a Final Smash, however. Fairy-typing would obviously be a new aspect etched straight into Jigglypuff in that she is and forever will remain part Fairy-type in Smash Bros. And I don't think I have to justify her not using a move related to Fairy-types yet when Fairy-type didn't even exist in Brawl.

Lucario's very heavily Aura-based like he was in the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie. In that movie, he used no Steel-type moves either, almost exclusively relying on sensing presence through aura and spamming Aura Sphere. It's understood that Lucario in Brawl was heavily based off this incarnation and thus Steel-type moves would have no real purpose on Lucario. Jigglypuff isn't constricted in the same sense. Just move Sing to her Neutral Special, Rollout to her Side Special, add a new Fairy-type Up Special, and boom, Jigglypuff stays in character while representing a new part of the Pokemon franchise. Ivysaur, for the record, makes use of unspecified powder moves as an Up Smash, Up Aerial, and Down Aerial. The brightly colored hue could indicate that it's Poison Powder, meaning Poison-type is at least nodded to in Ivysaur's moveset.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Mewtwo can easily get away with not having its Mega Evolutions in gameplay whatsoever outside of a Final Smash, however. Fairy-typing would obviously be a new aspect etched straight into Jigglypuff in that she is and forever will remain part Fairy-type in Smash Bros. And I don't think I have to justify her not using a move related to Fairy-types yet when Fairy-type didn't even exist in Brawl.

Lucario's very heavily Aura-based like he was in the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie. In that movie, he used no Steel-type moves either, almost exclusively relying on sensing presence through aura and spamming Aura Sphere. It's understood that Lucario in Brawl was heavily based off this incarnation and thus Steel-type moves would have no real purpose on Lucario. Jigglypuff isn't constricted in the same sense. Just move Sing to her Neutral Special, Rollout to her Side Special, add a new Fairy-type Up Special, and boom, Jigglypuff stays in character while representing a new part of the Pokemon franchise. Ivysaur, for the record, makes use of unspecified powder moves as an Up Smash, Up Aerial, and Down Aerial. The brightly colored hue could indicate that it's Poison Powder, meaning Poison-type is at least nodded to in Ivysaur's moveset.
Of course not, but just in the same manner that Mega Evolution can be pushed aside to being a Final Smash (which actually could serve to represent 6th gen that way if they wanted), so can her new Fairy type be pushed aside, especially since it's not an integral part of her character even with the new advertisements for the typing.

Which is the point, Lucario's character is based around that ability, not Steel. Similarly, there's nothing that's been associated with Jigglypuff's that Fairy as GF hasn't cared to give her something that's her own in that regard so it's not necessary. It could happen just like Lucario getting Bullet Punch or something, but it's doesn't have to happen as not everything advertised has to be inserted into Smash, we have gotten extremely little of the Eeveelutions for instance.

As for Ivysaur, hypothetically it could be, but you can also argue it's supposed to be Stun Spore in the same breath.

Morbi

Scavenger
10 Alerts: They're all likes from Morbid Altruism

But, seriously what's with ya "liking" every post?
Do you know anyone else that "likes" every post? That is the point. It is something unique to me on any given forum (although I have only been a part of 3, each at different times). It helps people remember me. That is obviously important for lasting discussions. Which is also why I rarely switch my profile pic. I also want everyone to know that I am totally Jigglypuffs NUMBA 1 FAN. :jigglypuffmelee:

Reznor

work in progress
Do you know anyone else that "likes" every post? That is the point. It is something unique to me on any given forum (although I have only been a part of 3, each at different times). It helps people remember me. That is obviously important for lasting discussions. Which is also why I rarely switch my profile pic. I also want everyone to know that I am totally Jigglypuffs NUMBA 1 FAN. :jigglypuffmelee:
your plan worked too well last time I can't think of you as a jiggly fan I only see the Batgirl army leader

Morbi

Scavenger
your plan worked too well last time I can't think of you as a jiggly fan I only see the Batgirl army leader
They are the same thing really. Batgirl is still my favorite DC character. Jigglypuff is ONE of my favorite Pokemon. I actually like a few others above her. However, none of them are playable in Smash. Haha.
:039:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Okay, so this is an experiment roster: Keep in mind that my where I stand on Starfy in Smash remains the same! I still think he's getting in with Little Mac and Issac, but like both those characters he's not essential. Since Sheriff is a likely candidate (though he works better as an assist trophy) and we don't always get the most expected characters, I want to see how people would react if this is the outcome of the roster.
Full Roster 6.3.png

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay, so this is an experiment roster: Keep in mind that my where I stand on Starfy in Smash remains the same! I still think he's getting in with Little Mac and Issac, but like both those characters he's not essential. Since Sheriff is a likely candidate (though he works better as an assist trophy) and we don't always get the most expected characters, I want to see how people would react if this is the outcome of the roster.
View attachment 2772
I would probably cry tears of joy. I also liked your rosters the best. They have some of the best logic put into them. There are a few odd choices, but like you said, we don't always get the expected characters. I never knew that I even wanted Sheriff until you brought him up. In fact, Smash might be boring if all we got were the obvious ones like K. Rool, Ridley, Chrom, Palutena, and Mewtwo. Plus you were competent enough to put Jiggypuff on the roster. So I would love the roster. My only criticism might be the size of the roster. It is just a little on the large side.

Reznor

work in progress
View attachment 2772
Samu/Zero suit not the same character and no Ridley :mad:
I don't see Roy getting in over Chrom
I doubt we will get both Takamaru and Sheriff
get rid of the mii man no one want any mii's

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Okay, so this is an experiment roster: Keep in mind that my where I stand on Starfy in Smash remains the same! I still think he's getting in with Big Mac and Issac, but like both those characters he's not essential. Since Keriff is a likely candidate (though he works better as an assist trophy) and we don't always get the most expected characters, I want to see how people would react if this is the outcome of the roster.
View attachment 2772
I dont see the keeping both lucario AND adding mewtwo
I dont see Chrom getting overshadowed by Roy and I dont see Sherif getting in and no pac man bomber man or ray man?Disapointing!And also,No Redley?Why not?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
View attachment 2772
Eh, well I'd be fine with it. It's pretty good, my only problems are the inclusion of the Mii and the lack of Ridley. I'd be fine with it regardless. Also, ZSS should NOT have her own slot.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
View attachment 2772

Wow,this is roster is great,you have the guts to don't include Ridley and K.rool ,I respect that , 8/10.
Bad things:Sheriff.
My personal wishes:Add Bandana Dee instead of that Zero Suit Samus slot ,cut Snake and add Bomberman instead,that will be a 10/10 for me XD.

Morbi

Scavenger
The more I think about it... the casual consumers might actually want Miis. Obviously most of the hardcore players think that it is irrational to add Miis, but I am actually worried that since Sakurai is marketing this game towards the casual players that we might actually get Miis. That would be decadent.

I dont see Chrom getting overshadowed by Roy and I dont see Sherif getting in
What is with the either or fallacy? Lucario and Mewtwo could very well be together in the same game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I dont see Chrom getting overshadowed by Roy and I dont see Sherif getting in
Lucario & Mewtwo were planned to be in Brawl together. These 5 are the only choices to be honest. I mean there aren't any other Pokemon to overshadow them.

• Ridley is a 50/50 character like every smash game
  • Why can't we get both Takamaru & Sheriff? We got both Pit & ROB and both Ice Climbers & Mr. Game & Watch.
  • Sakurai doesn't refrain from adding characters because you don't want them. (ROB, Toon Link, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager.)

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Lucario & Mewtwo were planned to be in Brawl together. These 5 are the only choices to be honest. I mean there aren't any other Pokemon to overshadow them.

• Ridley is a 50/50 character like every smash game
  • Why can't we get both Takamaru & Sheriff? We got both Pit & ROB and both Ice Climbers & Mr. Game & Watch.(hey guys get mad cuz ima say something you wont like!!:troll: and your gonna mop me)
  • Sakurai doesn't refrain from adding characters because you don't want them. (ROB, TOON LINK???!?!?!?)
TOON LINK?!NO ONE LIKES TOON LINK?!BULL!!!GET LOST!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom