• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Conspiracy theory time: We will get a new trailer in October.

Remember that old list of characters that would be revealed at E3 that only half came true? Remember the other half? Little Mac, Pac-Man, Miis.
Look at October:

-Mike Tyson's Punch-Out's anniversary in North America (where it first came out)
-Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures video game release on the 29th
-Wii Party U release on various days around the globe

The conspiracy that I just came up with is that because all three have something in October, they will all be shown off at the same time then. And with Sonic Lost World and Pokémon X/Y, we might get Sonic and at least one Pokémon character too, if not getting them separately based on the release of those games.
It definitely makes sense, though I'll admit, I do not want the Miis in the game. Also, if that's the case, I could see Mewtwo as the Pokémon rep since he'd easily generate hype.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would love it if Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii were confirmed on October. I genuinely like them and can see why they could be considered. I think it would make me hype for the game more than a Pokemon veteran reveal (Toad would really make me hype the most). But I'm not holding my breath for them next month. In fact, I will be expecting a Pokemon veteran next month because that is the most logical thing to look forward to according to the pattern of veterans revealed to tie in with their games' release dates.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
So am I the only one that thinks jigglypuff is going to be the October reveal? cause that's something that sakurai would do. (showing up dem fairy moves)

To me he'd save the heavy hitters ridley, mewtwo, etc for like a direct or e3 or something.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would love it if Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii were confirmed on October. I genuinely like them and can see why they could be considered. I think it would make me hype for the game more than a Pokemon veteran reveal (Toad would really make me hype the most). But I'm not holding my breath for them next month. In fact, I will be expecting a Pokemon veteran next month because that is the most logical thing to look forward to according to the pattern of veterans revealed to tie in with their games' release dates.
I don't know what I am going to do if Jigglypuff is revealed next month. She is the only thing I am looking forward to.
:jigglypuffmelee:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So am I the only one that thinks jigglypuff is going to be the October reveal? cause that's something that sakurai would do. (showing up dem fairy moves)

To me he'd save the heavy hitters ridley, mewtwo, etc for like a direct or e3 or something.
Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and/or Trainer could easily be the Pokémon reveal(s).
Sonic later in the month too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't he'll release the whole roster bro, it'll be 1 pkmn and sonic (cause LW is bigger game then Olympics.)
Yeah, I think that too.
I'm really hoping Pokémon Trainer and Mewtwo along with Sonic.
I dunno, I think X and Y can warrant 2 reveals if it comes to that.
It is two games after all... :awesome:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
A new Pokémon reveal on or near X/Y's release date seems obvious, but the real question is who? All of Brawl's Poke roster and Mewtwo seem to be all affected by Gen 6, and with Luigi and Toon Link's early reveals screwing everything up, it could be anyone.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, I think that too.
I'm really hoping Pokémon Trainer and Mewtwo along with Sonic.
I dunno, I think X and Y can warrant 2 reveals if it comes to that.
It is two games after all... :awesome:
Do you really think Pokemon Trainer is finished yet? Even if he was, is 10 pictures enough to truly showcase 4 different character models?

I honestly think that they would save Mewtwo for later (seeing as he is a perfect hype-builder).

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I think Villager is literally a Mii though. Like I could boot up my Wii U and make a Mii with the same hair, eyes, and nose. Make it wear a red shirt... voila. Aside from that, I think a Mii would draw lots of correlations from Villager. The boxing gloves maybe alluding to Wii Sports. The retro balloon fighter thing could easily be assigned to a Mii. Random attacks like bowling balls and plants might relate to the generic yet random attributes of Miis. I just think it could work.
the thing is, if Mii is playable I think it would play entirely different from Villager. The boxing and Bowling ball are two of the few villager moves I think Mii would use (well not now that villager has them).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you really think Pokemon Trainer is finished yet? Even if he was, is 10 pictures enough to truly showcase 4 different character models?

I honestly think that they would save Mewtwo for later (seeing as he is a perfect hype-builder).
I guess that's true, but it wouldn't really be a problem.
3 for Squirtle, 3 for Ivysaur, 3 for Charizard, one close up on Trainer.
There we go.
Plus, even though Mewtwo is a great hype builder, so are many other characters.
Getting people hyped early isn't a bad thing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sure, maybe... But there are lots of things that Mii could do that Villager don't do in Animal Crossing and won't do in Smash. There's plenty of ideas to draw from... Wii Sports games, Wii Play games, Wii Party games, StreetPass Mii Plaza games, and Pilotwings Resort... and Mii doesn't even need moves from Wii Fit games (Wii Fit Trainer already covers them). Mii could have an unique gimmick where one of Mii's special moves depends on the palette swap... Just like in StreetPass Find Mii.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I think Mewtwo will be saved for later too, since we already have an incoming hype-train with Sonic.

As for if Pokémon Trainer is finished. We don't know how far he is in development, but he's gotta be of quite a high priority, not only because of his importance, but exactly because of the amount of work involved with him. The pictures aren't a problem, since they showcased him on Brawl's Dojo with a mere 4 pictures it's gonna be no problem to showcase him with 10, and hey, he's gotta be shown at some point anyways.

Morbi

Scavenger
A new Pokémon reveal on or near X/Y's release date seems obvious, but the real question is who? All of Brawl's Poke roster and Mewtwo seem to be all affected by Gen 6, and with Luigi and Toon Link's early reveals screwing everything up, it could be anyone.
I think it will be Jigglypuff. Here is why. :039:

1. Jigglypuff, alongside Luigi (one of the other reveals), is a member of the original 12. This not only makes Jiggs significant, it also follows the start of a pattern.

2. Jigglypuff, alongside Luigi, is the only other character that is unlockable in every Smash game.

3. Jigglypuff, alongside Toon Link, was a low priority character in Brawl. Obviously Sakurai's criteria has changed. Jigglypuff would be a logical reveal after Toon Link.

4. Jigglypuff is the only "obvious" Pokemon reveal/ Jigglypuff is a great preliminary Pokemon Reveal.
- Pokemon Trainer might be cut/not finished now due to tech limitations and development complications.
- Lucario is a "bridge the gap" Pokemon. His new Mega Evolution is over-shadowed by not only Mewtwo, but also the Kanto Starters. He is the only 4th generation Pokemon.
- Mewtwo is not guaranteed just yet. He will most likely be revealed late because of his significance.

5. Jigglypuff has a costume fetish, being the only Smash character (aside from Pichu and sort of Wario) that doesn't just change colors. October is the month of Halloween, a costume holiday.

Reznor

work in progress
if we get pokemon trainer again I hope they mix it up a little like
Bulbasaur,Charmeleon,Blastoise

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You know, I think October is going to be a big surprise for all of us. Either way, we're going to see someone who will knock the wind off our feet:
  • Jigglypuff being low priority and somewhat hated (which is stupid, I love her)
  • Lucario for obvious reasons (many think he'd be the first to go)
  • Mewtwo for returning and bringing huge hype
  • Pokemon Trainer, since it will show that Sakurai can handle 3DS limitations just fine
  • Sonic for being Sonic, as well as a possibility we may see Snake come back
October is coming, people! I'm pretty excited.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. Jigglypuff, alongside Luigi (one of the other reveals), is a member of the original 12. This not only makes Jiggs significant, it also follows the start of a pattern.
A funny thing is it'll mean that if the characters that are being revealed on the site really are starters, we'll have a case that's opposite of what Melee did with the original 4 unlockables, meaning Ness and C. Falcon will be unlockables, and Luigi and Jiggs will be starters instead.

Charizard won't be replaced, he's like the reason the character was even made to begin with.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
A funny thing is it'll mean that if the characters that are being revealed on the site really are starters, we'll have a case that's opposite of what Melee did with the original 4 unlockables, meaning Ness and C. Falcon will be unlockables, and Luigi and Jiggs will be starters instead.

If Toon Link is a starter then that will be great for me.

No more going through tediously long game modes just to unlock and play as my favourite character! : D

Morbi

Scavenger
Heavens NO. The main reason Pokemon Trainer was even a success was because of Charizard.

Maybe... Mudkip (a meme), Bayleef (pushed in the anime), and Charizard.

Maybe... Blastoise, Venasaur, and Charizard (Venasaur would play like Ivysaur). This would kind of correlate with their new Mega Evolutions.

Maybe... New Kalos starters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I really want Jigglypuff to get in the game. If she is revealed next month I think we can forget about cuts.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wow, I thought you hated her all this time.
But she's definitely not first to go. If WOLF is revealed, then we can forget about cuts.

I really want Jigglypuff to get in the game. If she is revealed next month I think we can forget about cuts.

Actually no, no we cannot. Just because he reveals two or three characters that were on the chopping block during Brawl doesn't mean we wont have cuts. Cuts will always be a very real "threat" until Sakurai states that he didn't need to cut anybody.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm expecting her to be of higher priority in development than Toon Link.
I seriously doubt that, but I see no reason why we can't fit in Jigglypuff. Actually I take that back since there wasn't enough time to program Dr. Mario.

Wow, I thought you hated her all this time.
But she's definitely not first to go. If WOLF is revealed, then we can forget about cuts.
ARE YOU KIDDING?
I LOVE JIGGLYPUFF!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I think we can all agree that Lucario is going to be our least likely reveal for X&Y. Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, and Jigglypuff each all have their own things going on that would, for the most part, make Lucario seem like an unexciting reveal. Mewtwo's got huge hype and a Mega Evolution, Jigglypuff has newfound Fairy-typing, and Pokemon Trainer has starters that are all available in X&Y. Lucario wouldn't offer anything in terms of showing off X&Y aside from Mega Evolution, Mewtwo of which already has covered twice over with more people's attention.

Personally I hope it's Jigglypuff so we can throw out previous-game priority altogether. Two-thirds of the last three added in Brawl should basically confirm Wolf as safe too, considering how Wolf isn't even a semi-clone. Seriously, he plays nothing alike Fox or Falco and only his specials even have similarities in the first place. If Wolf wasn't one of the last characters added in Brawl, I don't think he'd even be considered as a potential cut. Nowhere where he currently is, at least.
I seriously doubt that, but I see no reason why we can't fit in Jigglypuff. Actually I take that back since there wasn't enough time to program Dr. Mario.

ARE YOU KIDDING?
God damnit Noah, I love Jigglypuff too, but you don't see me needing to spam a giant friggin' random image off Google images just to show that. Learn some restraint for once in your life.

Morbi

Scavenger

ARE YOU KIDDING?
Welcome to the Jigglypuff Fan Girl Club.

I think we can all agree that Lucario is going to be our least likely reveal for X&Y. Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, and Jigglypuff each all have their own things going on that would, for the most part, make Lucario seem like an unexciting reveal. Mewtwo's got huge hype and a Mega Evolution, Jigglypuff has newfound Fairy-typing, and Pokemon Trainer has starters that are all available in X&Y. Lucario wouldn't offer anything in terms of showing off X&Y aside from Mega Evolution, Mewtwo of which already has covered twice over with more people's attention.

Personally I hope it's Jigglypuff so we can throw out previous-game priority altogether. Two-thirds of the last three added in Brawl should basically confirm Wolf as safe too, considering how Wolf isn't even a semi-clone. Seriously, he plays nothing alike Fox or Falco and only his specials even have similarities in the first place. If Wolf wasn't one of the last characters added in Brawl, I don't think he'd even be considered as a potential cut. Nowhere where he currently is, at least.

God damnit Noah, I love Jigglypuff too, but you don't see me needing to spam a giant friggin' random image off Goggle images just to show that. Learn some restraint for once in your life.
I would say the same thing about Jigglypuff. :jigglypuffmelee:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't think we should forget about cuts yet, as we have yet to determine if Pokemon will get 5 reps or not (Specifically these 5 :pikachu2:,:jigglypuff:,:lucario:, :pt:,:mewtwomelee:), it could remain at 4 and could get Lucario cut if Mewtwo takes the 4th Pokemon spot.
We also have to be aware of Ike as he may be replaced for Chrom to give space for other characters.
We also have Snake, who is a mixed bag, could also be cut for other characters.
The other characters are fine and safe IMO and represents their franchise well in general.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 2766
Here is mmine if you have any sugetion do tell and red means that they need to be unlocked
  • Rayman ain't happening and there is no way we'd get 5 Third-Party characters. 2 was enough.
  • Meowth will replace Lucario as soon as pigs learn to pee into a shot glass that's spinning on a record player that's tied to a running cheetah's back while riding a unicycle on a tightrope. Seriously, though Meowth replacing Lucario is just atrocious and you only have gen 1 Pokemon.
  • Chrom replacing Ike just doesn't make sense. Ike is the 2nd most popular lord and basically the Marth of the west. He is clearly more deserving as he's one of the few lords to appear twice.
  • Eh, I don't know about Toon Zelda, it's way too excessive and unnecessary.
  • Props for adding Paper Mario
  • Krystal doesn't fit in and I don't see why people add her

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
View attachment 2766
Here is mmine if you have any sugetion do tell and red means that they need to be unlocked
idc about mario newcomers, not sure about TZ, eww corn, should be 3 FE characters imo, not sure about rayman and meowth, paultena yes, krystal yes, but 4 SF characters is pushing it tho, overall okay roster.

@Saturn, people add her just because dat staff moveset, it would brings something refreshing to the roster instead of just punches and kicks.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
What is it with the assumption that the Pokemon Trainer is suddenly going to change his Pokemon selection, or even be replaced himself? Acknowledging the Pokemon Trainer is indeed Red, the only logical course to venture upon is to have the Trainer use Pokemon he already possesses, and of course, acknowledging Red, there would be no reason replace such a man of elevated status. Consider these points of contenion:

1. Replace the Trainer - Red
This variation of the Pokemon Trainer (Red) is considered to be the most iconic, especially in terms of being recognizable with not only the Pokemon but the Trainer itself. Why replace a quintessential aspect of the Pokemon universe with some unknown, never before heard of, God-knows-where-that-came-from Trainer from Kalos? Not unless Red is playable in Pokemon X and Y, yet to my knowledge he is not.

2. Replace the Pokemon - Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard
Consider the complicated process of Sakurai having to balance out not one new Pokemon, but three new Pokemon. Why not, instead of rebuilding the structural foundations from scratch, simply just take what is already before us and modify it to an extent that it works within its new surroundings. With the Pokemon Trainer using original three main Starters, Sakurai can already implement an underlying blueprint he has used previously in balancing the roster, but with a few major changes here and there; of course, there's removing the stamina system (which I doubt, though), buffing certain aspects of each Pokemon, and balancing out with newcomers. In substance, having the current selection of Pokemon would work just as comfortably and conveniently.

I will consider the idea that two Pokemon Trainers can co-exist... yet, that all depends on whether or not Sakurai will devote such energy to a project such as that. Personally, I would favor the effort towards three other characters, whether veterans or newcomers, than to another Trainer. That is just my subjective opinion.

It's not to say I wouldn't enjoy a new Trainer or even new Pokemon, but to transition from the legendary status of Red and his Pokemon to something else entirely less (at least in exemplary terms)... that I cannot envision.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Welcome to the Jigglypuff Fan Girl Club.

I would say the same thing about Jigglypuff. :jigglypuffmelee:
Morbid Altruism is a girl?

I don't think we should forget about cuts yet, as we have yet to determine if Pokemon will get 5 reps or not (Specifically these 5 :pikachu2:,:jigglypuff:,:lucario:, :pt:,:mewtwomelee:), it could remain at 4 and could get Lucario cut if Mewtwo takes the 4th Pokemon spot.
We also have to be aware of Ike as he may be replaced for Chrom to give space for other characters.
We also have Snake, who is a mixed bag, could also be cut for other characters.
The other characters are fine and safe IMO and represents their franchise well in general.
Lucario's not getting cut. He's just not.
Chrom will replace Ike when pigs fly and I lose faith in this thread when people suggest Chrom will replace Ike.

I like Rayman and would want him in Smash (mainly stuff from Rayman 1 and 2), but he's very unlikely. Pac-Man seems to be the only other third-party who has a chance.

----

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
  • Rayman ain't happening and there is no way we'd get 5 Third-Party characters. 2 was enough.
  • Meowth will replace Lucario as soon as pigs learn to pee into a shot glass that's spinning on a record player that's tied to a running cheetah's back while riding a unicycle on a tightrope. Seriously, though Meowth replacing Lucario is just atrocious and you only have gen 1 Pokemon.
  • Chrom replacing Ike just doesn't make sense. Ike is the 2nd most popular lord and basically the Marth of the west. He is clearly more deserving as he's one of the few lords to appear twice.
  • Eh, I don't know about Toon Zelda, it's way too excessive and unnecessary.
  • Props for adding Paper Mario
  • Krystal doesn't fit in and I don't see why people add her
Yeah pretty unlikely I was going to cut snake but then people would be bit*ching
Mewowth dint replace lucario
Ike will most than likely get cut in order to add Chrom I wont say "ITS A TREND!!"because thats just stupid
Toon Zelda was planned in Brawl so I dont see why leave her out
and Krystal beacause Smash needs more females and WE NEED A STAR FOX CHARACTER THAT DOSENT PLAY LIKE FOX!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Wait morbid is a girl.....

I have been lurking for years i thought I had everyone pegged down by now...

I have failed.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Fairy typing for Jigglypuff is very overrated, she'll definitely be back, but not on that merit.

Really, any of the four could be revealed next month and get some excitement. Mewtwo for being a returning veteran that was cut, Jigglypuff for being a classic character many love, PT for his unique mechanic and Lucario for being one of the characters many consider to be a on the chopping block and would be happy to see return.

Honestly, I don't get the hype behind Wolf's cut. He's a popular character that's important to his series that just happens to be a semi-clone. Really, if it wasn't for the latter bit, I wonder if he would be considered to be on a chopping block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom