• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gune

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree that Lucario is going to be our least likely reveal for X&Y. Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, and Jigglypuff each all have their own things going on that would, for the most part, make Lucario seem like an unexciting reveal. Mewtwo's got huge hype and a Mega Evolution, Jigglypuff has newfound Fairy-typing, and Pokemon Trainer has starters that are all available in X&Y. Lucario wouldn't offer anything in terms of showing off X&Y aside from Mega Evolution, Mewtwo of which already has covered twice over with more people's attention.

Personally I hope it's Jigglypuff so we can throw out previous-game priority altogether. Two-thirds of the last three added in Brawl should basically confirm Wolf as safe too, considering how Wolf isn't even a semi-clone. Seriously, he plays nothing alike Fox or Falco and only his specials even have similarities in the first place. If Wolf wasn't one of the last characters added in Brawl, I don't think he'd even be considered as a potential cut. Nowhere where he currently is, at least.

God damnit Noah, I love Jigglypuff too, but you don't see me needing to spam a giant friggin' random image off Google images just to show that. Learn some restraint for once in your life.
I don't think he is the least likely just because he was overshadowed by mewtwos mega form point is he has one and can also Rep gen 6 if he wanted to so he is still a valid contender for a reveal also we have no idea if jiggs will get any recognition for her fairy typing.

Reznor

work in progress
Morbid is a girl .... well that would explain why she likes Batgirl so much

Yeah pretty unlikely I was going to cut snake but then people would be bit*ching
Mewowth dint replace lucario
Ike will most than likely get cut in order to add Chrom I wont say "ITS A TREND!!"because thats just stupid
Toon Zelda was planned in Brawl so I dont see why leave her out
and Krystal beacause Smash needs more females and WE NEED A STAR FOX CHARACTER THAT DOSENT PLAY LIKE FOX!
being female should not be a reason a character should get into smash :glare:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah pretty unlikely I was going to cut snake but then people would be bit*ching
Mewowth dint replace lucario
Ike will most than likely get cut in order to add Chrom I wont say "ITS A TREND!!"because thats just stupid
Toon Zelda was planned in Brawl so I dont see why leave her out
and Krystal beacause Smash needs more females and WE NEED A STAR FOX CHARACTER THAT DOSENT PLAY LIKE FOX!
1.The point is that you have Meowth and not Lucario. That makes literally no sense and will never happen let alone Meowth being playable at all.
2. Chrom will never replace Ike, I kind of just explained why that's not really an option
3. Being planned for Brawl doesn't necessarily mean you'll be planned again or else we gotta have Roy & Dr. Mario. Toon Zelda was unfinished for a reason that is quite obvious. Having 2 Toon characters doesn't make any sense, you might as well add Paper Luigi and Nurse Peach. It's totally going overboard and that makes a total of 5 Zelda characters that share moves with someone else.
4. Being female doesn't get you in and I don't see why we need a Star Fox character that doesn't play like Fox. That's not really important.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Morbid is a girl .... well that would explain why she likes Batgirl so much

being female should not be a reason a character should get into smash :glare:
Staff moveset, brings something new to the table, either declone wolf and falco or just add krystal. just no clones please.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I don't get the hype behind Wolf's cut. He's a popular character that's important to his series that just happens to be a semi-clone. Really, if it wasn't for the latter bit, I don't think anyone would be calling for his head.
Anybody who thinks THIS is why he'd stay knows absolutely nothing about how characters get cut. Being a character that people like doesn't save you from being cut, Wolf is popular, but guess what: Others are popular too. You have to make the cuts that are the least big of a problem regardless that it's still a problem. This kind of stuff you are mentioning didn't save Mewtwo or Roy so it sure as hell isn't going to save Wolf.

If I here one more person talk about Ike & Lucario getting cut and Wolf not being a choice for cuts I'm gonna shoot myself in the face.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
1.The point is that you have Meowth and not Lucario. That makes literally no sense and will never happen let alone Meowth being playable at all.
2. Chrom will never replace Ike, I kind of just explained why that's not really an option
3. Being planned for Brawl doesn't necessarily mean you'll be planned again or else we gotta have Roy & Dr. Mario. Toon Zelda was unfinished for a reason that is quite obvious. Having 2 Toon characters doesn't make any sense, you might as well add Paper Luigi and Nurse Peach. It's totally going overboard and that makes a total of 5 Zelda characters that share moves with someone else.
4. Being female doesn't get you in and I don't see why we need a Star Fox character that doesn't play like Fox. That's not really important.
1.Mewtwo replaced lucario not meowth(and im sticking by that)
2.Even thought he was popular he wasent a requested character like toon link or sonic meaning his chances of getting in are(WARNING HORRIBLE KID ICARUS UPRISING REFERENCE COMING!!!)and his chances of getting in are LOWER THA YOUR BELLY BUTTON!!AND THATS REAL LOW!!!!:p couldnt pas it up
3.She can be made diferent after Nintendo isnt lazy
4.Yes we do need more characters that dont play like fox beacause its just anoying one character that plays alike is alright but 3 is overboard

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Fairy typing for Jigglypuff is very overrated, she'll almost definitely be back, but not on that merit.
Really, any of the four could be revealed next month and get some excitement. Mewtwo for being a returning veteran that was cut, Jigglypuff for being a classic character many love, PT for his unique mechanic and Lucario for being one of the characters many consider to be a on the chopping block and would be happy to see return.
Can you explain why it's overrated, exactly? Game Freak is really pushing for Fairy-type to be well-known and liked. We're getting a bunch of new Fairy-types, and a few Pokemon like Jigglypuff, Marill, and Gardevoir who all have had sizable fan-bases at one point or another were retconned to have the new typing. A pure Fairy-type mascot legendary, a lone Eeveelution of Fairy-type with no secondary Eeveelution to hog the spotlight, Fairy being outright immune to the type that's been dominating the metagame for ages now... Dark and Steel never had this type of support back in Generation II's unveiling in comparison. Fairy-type is definitely going to have its share of importance this time around. Sakurai said he goes to the Pokemon Company and simply asks what's the current "hot-ticket" in Pokemon, and Fairy-type certainly sounds like it. I think Jigglypuff will actually be pressured by either Sakurai and/or Pokemon Company in terms of how a veteran fighter now syncs up perfectly with a new marketing agenda in Pokemon.

All of that doesn't sound overrated at all. If anything, the smash community is underrating just how much significance Fairy-typing is going to play for Jigglypuff. Without Jigglypuff as one of the first revealed Fairy-types, she'd be in the same position she was in Brawl, but with this timing working to Jigglypuff's favor, I think you can't just dismiss Fairy-typing as not a factor in this. Given, it's not the main reason she's coming back, but it's definitely a boost to her support.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Staff moveset, brings something new to the table, either declone wolf and falco or just add krystal. just no clones please.
You're just going to have to deal with clones. It's not a big deal like so many people exaggerate it to be. The staff is ACTUALLY a downside to Krystal. It's an outdated thing she doesn't use anymore and it would be totally weird to see her using that the way she is now. Plus it doesn't really make sense why 3 of our Star Fox characters are pilots that share moves, but this one doesn't. I don't think Sakurai really gives a **** about Star Fox Adventures.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Anybody who thinks THIS is why he'd stay knows absolutely nothing about how characters get cut. Being a character that people like doesn't save you from being cut, Wolf is popular, but guess what: Others are popular too. You have to make the cuts that are the least big of a problem regardless that it's still a problem. This kind of stuff you are mentioning didn't save Mewtwo or Roy so it sure as hell isn't going to save Wolf.

If I here one more person talk about Ike & Lucario getting cut and Wolf not being a choice for cuts I'm gonna shoot myself in the face.
Ice is gunna be cut fer corn cuz muh relevancy, Lucakrio is a goku clone he's gunna be cut, and volf is gunna stay cuz his gun is kool.

:troll:

Reznor

work in progress
a character should not get into Smash because of their gender Krystal might have some good reasons to get in but her gender isn't one of them
decloning the others seems like a better idea the other 3 are far more important (and we all know 4 Starfox characters is too much)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we're gonna talk about cuts, here are the people in trouble. Keep in mind that even if they're 99% in, they are in a tiny bit of peril.
Wolf
Snake
Lucario
Ike
Jiggs (not really)
Sonic (not really)
Pokémon Trainer's Starters (not really)
Falco (not really)
Lucas
ROB (not really)

The "not reallies" are 90%-99% in.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I know I'm late on Jiggs moveset talks, but I was doing homework during it. So I'm just gonna throw it out there:
In Smash 64 I absolutely love walking on faces with her D-aerial, then once you hit the ground instantly follow up with a D-Smash cuz it hits so fast after being used. Best combo ever.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

Wolf isn't currently competing with a more recent face from a newer game, however. Ike and Lucario are in the form of Chrom and Mewtwo. I'm not advocating for either of them to be cut, but you'd be sophomore to dismiss that chance completely.

Oh, and uh, here you go.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
1.Mewtwo replaced lucario not meowth(and im sticking by that)
2.Even thought he was popular he wasent a requested character like toon link or sonic meaning his chances of getting in are(WARNING HORRIBLE KID ICARUS UPRISING REFERENCE COMING!!!)and his chances of getting in are LOWER THA YOUR BELLY BUTTON!!AND THATS REAL LOW!!!!:p couldnt pas it up
3.She can be made diferent after Nintendo isnt lazy
4.Yes we do need more characters that dont play like fox beacause its just anoying one character that plays alike is alright but 3 is overboard
  • I just told you it doesn't matter if Mewtwo replaces Lucario, If you don't have Lucario, but you have Meowth then something is dead wrong with you. That will never happen and neither will Meowth being playable.
  • Actually Chrom is the least likely of all 3 FE characters that have been in Smash. Again, you cannot have Chrom if you don't have Ike.
  • But, she won't because Masahiro Sakurai explained that Child Link has to be made the same as Normal Link and thus the same applies to Child Zelda, and you must no understand how the cloning process works (somebody is going to make a joke out of the use of the words "cloning process" I just know it.)
  • No we don't. That's your own opinion and very likely not Sakurai's.
a character should not get into Smash because of their gender Krystal might have some good reasons to get in but her gender isn't one of them
decloning the others seems like a better idea the other 3 are far more important (and we all know 4 Starfox characters is too much)
Krystal has NO good reasons to be in smash. There's really no sense in it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Does it bother anyone else when people use "Wolf is important to Star Fox" as a reason? With that logic, we really shouldn't have lost Mewtwo.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Can you explain why it's overrated, exactly? Game Freak is really pushing for Fairy-type to be well-known and liked. We're getting a bunch of new Fairy-types, and a few Pokemon like Jigglypuff, Marill, and Gardevoir who all have had sizable fan-bases at one point or another were retconned to have the new typing. A pure Fairy-type mascot legendary, a lone Eeveelution of Fairy-type with no secondary Eeveelution to hog the spotlight, Fairy being outright immune to the type that's been dominating the metagame for ages now... Dark and Steel never had this type of support back in Generation II's unveiling in comparison. Fairy-type is definitely going to have its share of importance this time around. Sakurai said he goes to the Pokemon Company and simply asks what's the current "hot-ticket" in Pokemon, and Fairy-type certainly sounds like it. I think Jigglypuff will actually be pressured by either Sakurai and/or Pokemon Company in terms of how a veteran fighter now syncs up perfectly with a new marketing agenda in Pokemon.

All of that doesn't sound overrated at all. If anything, the smash community is underrating just how much significance Fairy-typing is going to play for Jigglypuff. Without Jigglypuff as one of the first revealed Fairy-types, she'd be in the same position she was in Brawl, but with this timing working to Jigglypuff's favor, I think you can't just dismiss Fairy-typing as not a factor in this. Given, it's not the main reason she's coming back, but it's definitely a boost to her support.
GF has been pushing the typing, but Jigglypuff is nowhere near the forefront in that campaign. Out of the initial four, Sylveon, Marill and Gardevoir have easily gotten more attention across advertisements while I can't say I've seen much (if anything) of Jigglypuff by comparison. If they really wanted a Fairy type marketer, it'd be Sylveon before Jigglypuff. Plus, I don't think Fairy type is going to have that much an effect on Jigglypuff's moveset, it's pretty content as it is and doesn't really need too many tweaks based on its character.

Really, I think Jigglypuff's unveil would be more because it's a classic Smash character many love, it doesn't need Fairy type with that in mind.

And I still don't see a good reason why he has to be on the chopping block, as GRC said, he has no competition for a new face nor has any trouble standing out right now. Star Fox is content with its current three it has and it doesn't need any cuts.

Reznor

work in progress
If we're gonna talk about cuts, here are the people in trouble. Keep in mind that even if they're 99% in, they are in a tiny bit of peril.
Wolf
Snake
Lucario
Ike
Jiggs (not really)
Sonic (not really)
Pokémon Trainer's Starters (not really)
Falco (not really)
Lucas
ROB (not really)

The "not reallies" are 90%-99% in.
every youtube video that talks about cuts always cuts R.O.B for some reason they think he isn't important :facepalm:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does it bother anyone else when people use "Wolf is important to Star Fox" as a reason? With that logic, we really shouldn't have lost Mewtwo.
Not really.

Mewtwo was only cut because of time restraints. He was still in line for being a character, and still seen as important. Just other characters at that time were viewed as more important or easier to make.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The only character I see on thin Ice right now is Snake, and maybe Lucario.
Just kill me, kill me and ressurect me when Smash Boards is done talking about cuts because nobody knows how to cut characters.

YOU ARE ALWAYS THE FIRST PERSON TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET ACROSS TO THESE GOOD FOLK!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You're just going to have to deal with clones. It's not a big deal like so many people exaggerate it to be. The staff is ACTUALLY a downside to Krystal. It's an outdated thing she doesn't use anymore and it would be totally weird to see her using that the way she is now. Plus it doesn't really make sense why 3 of our Star Fox characters are pilots that share moves, but this one doesn't. I don't think Sakurai really gives a **** about Star Fox Adventures.
but clones to me... are a waste of potential. imo I hope that TL (because of sakurai's rule) is the only clone we are going to get. I bet either the 3 pilots will get revamped movesets or krystal might get in.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
T
That time constraint on Brawl really caused some major decisions. Mewtwo was the most complete character, not included. Doesn't mean he was not viewed as important, but that's just what happened. Mewtwo wasn't removed because they thought he wasn't important.

So Wolf being important is a reason, and is the reason he was included in the first place. What will get him cut most likely, is lack of time. Which I firmly believe will not happen to this game.

Basically, importance gets you in Smash Brothers. Time will cut you out.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Are people still pretending they know who is and isn't likely to be cut or is there another more interesting discussion happening?

Seriously, with Toon Link being announced yesterday I would of thought everyone had realised that none of us have the slightest clue about who is or isn't likely to be cut anymore.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Right, more females, got it...
super bash sisters.png

Who wants to play some Super Bash Sisters? :troll:

Reznor

work in progress
Are people still pretending they know who is and isn't likely to be cut or is there another more interesting discussion happening?

Seriously, with Toon Link being announced yesterday I would of thought everyone had realised that none of us have the slightest clue about who is or isn't likely to be cut anymore.
its still fun to speculate and Toon Link forced us to change our minds on some things (like how I think Lucario/Ike won't get cut)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So you guys believe time constraints will happen again this time?
Eh...
Maybe, maybe not.
Toon Link being revealed so early might reveal that Sakurai and the team are making some good progress, and even low priority characters will be returning.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
So you guys believe time constraints will happen again this time?
Like I said, I am 98% sure it won't happen. It happened to brawl because of its overly ambitious adventure mode.

No HUGE story mode/cutscenes=No time constraints. And because there is no time constraints, I really feel that they're going to try and bring everyone back and maybe even Mewtwo and Roy. Hell, Dr. Mario too if Sakurai still likes him.

You can quote me on that.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
GF has been pushing the typing, but Jigglypuff is nowhere near the forefront in that campaign. Out of the initial four, Sylveon, Marill and Gardevoir have easily gotten more attention across advertisements while I can't say I've seen much (if anything) of Jigglypuff by comparison. If they really wanted a Fairy type marketer, it'd be Sylveon before Jigglypuff. Plus, I don't think Fairy type is going to have that much an effect on Jigglypuff's moveset, it's pretty content as it is and doesn't really need too many tweaks based on its character.

Really, I think Jigglypuff's unveil would be more because it's a classic Smash character many love, it doesn't need Fairy type with that in mind.
No, she hasn't been the forefront of the campaign, but do you really think Sylveon, Marill, or Gardevoir would take Jigglypuff's spot in Smash Bros.? The fact is that through Jigglypuff, Pokemon would have representation of a brand new "hot ticket" type that the roster would otherwise completely lack. Through Fair-type Jigglypuff being in Smash Bros., people would be reminded of X&Y and the new Fairy-type. Through newfound relevant Jigglypuff in Pokemon, people would be reminded that she's a playable character in that hot Nintendo fighting game on the Wii U and 3DS. Her newfound typing goes hand-in-hand with vetership in Smash Bros., I'm saying, not purely one or the other. Pokemon Trainer's starters are relevant to Pokemon X&Y in that they're available to choose from, which just so happens to coincide with their notability in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and likewise bringing relevance into SSB4 themselves. Do you understand me yet, or do I need to elaborate better?

And Jigglypuff could really do with a better Up Special than Sing. Fairy-typing would be the perfect opportunity to shift her moves around like how Pound was changed into her Side Special in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom