• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
...I still think most of you are being way too optimistic with the roster. Anything over 40 characters is realistically pushing it. You have to take into account Sakurai's statements and the fact that the rosters will be the same size for 3DS and Wii U

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
...I still think most of you are being way too optimistic with the roster. Anything over 40 characters is realistically pushing it. You have to take into account Sakurai's statements and the fact that the rosters will be the same size for 3DS and Wii U
You have nothing to back the statement that the roster is realistic at 40. Adding 5 characters and cutting several will not be appealing to most people. Characters are what sell the game.

Not to mention, Sakurai has not said he is cutting anyone. Ever. He also said that he isn't going to let gameplay enhancements hold back more characters. He just wants to focus on the gameplay.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
SSF43D had 35 characters, which took up most of the 2 GB.
The maximum for a 3DS Cart is 8 GB.
I'm sure we will get a big roster, if Sakurai crams in all the GBs right.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Though getting only 40 slots certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility, there is also the statement that Sakurai wants to add as many characters as possible and that he and his team are focusing most of their energy on the characters and stages. The roster should be fine hopefully and the 3DS shouldn't affect it too much. I think 45 slots is okay, go higher than 50 and you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Guys,There's no reason to be rude to bluepikmin 11. He's simply posting he'd be really hyped if those characters were in SSB4. Some are taking it a little too seriously. Unless of course he's fighting to the death that they are characters that could be in it without actual reasons. Even then there is no need to get so worked up.

Also
POSTING MY ROSTER AGAIN BECAUSE IT'S MY THREAD AND I CAN IF I WANT TO!

I'm not sure why Dillon is still in there. He is a recent Nintendo character, but it was just an eShop game that just came out. It would be weird to place him as a playable character. An assist trophy would make more sense. An maybe it's just me, but I feel there should be more. Also why are there 5 Pok'emon reps while there are only 4 Mario reps. Mario is the mascot so if one universe is gonna get 5 it'll be him. And if Mewtwo doesn't replace Lucario then somebody else will. Yes I am aware of them both being in Brawl originally. But it' important that because there are 700 Poke'mon that the ones in SSB should be as different from each other as much as possible.

Besides that I have NO complaints about this roster.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Any comments on my roster guys?

I'd like to mention that Dillon is basically there just to be there. He may or may not get in, but I don't totally expect him. Dixie is there in case she makes it instead of/with K.Rool.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Uh, yeah......I know that's why I said "Why would you have 5 Zelda reps and 5 Poke'mon reps, but only 4 Mario reps?

To be fair, so far Mario has had five different Mario reps throughout the series if you're including Yoshi as a Mario character, while Pokemon so far has had eight different characters, if you count the P.Trainer as three. So, having more Pokemon reps than Mario isn't exactly unheard of.

@Wigglytuff
I don't think I would consider Paper Mario to be WTF at all. Totally rando FE or unpopular Pokemon character... Well, that'd just be confusing more than "WTF", in my opinion.

It'd be nice to get Isaac in... Smash has a surprising lack of JRPG characters in it (if the FE characters are instead considered tactical RPG). I never played his games, but he seems like he could have a nice moveset.

Too bad he's another silent protagonist though... I have trouble caring too much about heroic mimes, especially when they're surrounded by actual characters.

Edit: Though I guess in later games he actually talks since he is no longer the main character? Just looking over his wikia page... Older Isaac looks kind of cool too. Trenchcoat + neckbeard = classy

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's the thing with Mario and Zelda. Both of the series are essentially completed character wise. An other additions would be shadowed by the importance of the other 4, or in Zelda's case 5.

Pokemon is made up of a crap ton of characters. There is no disputing that. But look at it this way.

The types that Pokemon can be attributed, are represented fairly well I'd say. We have, Electric, Fire, Flying, Water, Grass, Psychic, Steel, Fighting, and Normal. Then count all of the unplayable Pokeball items. Not to mention, Pokemon already has more characters than Mario AND Zelda. That doesn't really make much of a difference if you ask me.

Again, i don't expect Dillon. He is just there because of the possibility.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still think Mewtwo and Lucario can coexist.

max.

Smash Rookie
I kinda feel the same way. It all depends on how the approach the 3DS version, though. Have they said anything about sharing EVERYTHING with the Wii U edition? I mean, are both variants going to have the same modes and options? Is it possible that the 3DS version has all the same characters but is a more bare-bones game? Who knows.

Anyway, here's a little food for thought. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition had 35 characters. Tekken 3D: Prime Edition had 41 characters. I have not played those games so I don't know how much content those games have outside of their character count.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, so far Mario has had five different Mario reps throughout the series if you're including Yoshi as a Mario character, while Pokemon so far has had eight different characters, if you count the P.Trainer as three. So, having more Pokemon reps than Mario isn't exactly unheard of.

@Wigglytuff
I don't think I would consider Paper Mario to be WTF at all. Totally rando FE or unpopular Pokemon character... Well, that'd just be confusing more than "WTF", in my opinion.

It'd be nice to get Isaac in... Smash has a surprising lack of JRPG characters in it (if the FE characters are instead considered tactical RPG). I never played his games, but he seems like he could have a nice moveset.

Too bad he's another silent protagonist though... I have trouble caring too much about heroic mimes, especially when they're surrounded by actual characters.
Yoshi is not going to count as a Mario rep, that's just a lazy excuse to not to add one. Also pointing out that Poke'mon & Zelda will always have more reps because of Sheik & Pkmn Trainer is also kind of a lazy excuse not to add a Mario Character. Because Trainer/S/I/C & Zelda/Sheik technically count as 1 character on the roster it makes no sense to have 5 reps of a series and not 5 reps of a Mario series. It's really self explanatory. These aren't excuses to not have 5 Mario reps.

And no, Paper Mario is not even close to a WTF character. He may be even more likely than Bowser Jr.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Would anything be done to further differentiate Lucario and Mewtwo's moves, namely their up and neutral specials?

Would people want to play Mewtwo all of his specials, even his classic shadow ball, were replaced?

(yes. The answer is yes.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
We, probably not the only difference. You got to keep in mind the factor of music, trophies, stickers, and maybe even game modes too.
This is true. I'm honestly hoping that there is some sort of transferring option between the two. I love the theme to Gerudo Valley, and it plays on the Gerudo Valley stage in the 3DS version. But then that would ruin the differences :glare:.

Yoshi is not going to count as a Mario rep, that's just a lazy excuse to not to add one. Also pointing out that Poke'mon & Zelda will always have more reps because of Sheik & Pkmn Trainer is also kind of a lazy excuse not to add a Mario Character. Because Trainer/S/I/C & Zelda/Sheik technically count as 1 character on the roster it makes no sense to have 5 reps of a series and not 5 reps of a Mario series. It's really self explanatory. These aren't excuses to not have 5 Mario reps.

And no, Paper Mario is not even close to a WTF character. He may be even more likely than Bowser Jr.
Sakurai considers each character a part of the roster. So Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard count towards the roster, making it a roster of 39. ZSS and Sheik are also included in this total.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I can't see us getting more slots for Zelda and Pokemon then Mario. Also I don't understand why Zelda and Pokemon having more characters in Brawl means it's ok to add more Pokemon and Zelda characters in this game yet leave the Mario series hanging with only 4 characters.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Here is my roster:

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Waluigi: it seems logical to add him at this point. His moveset could be based on all the spinoff games. He could have a Mario Kart attack, similar to Wario's motorcycle. He could also have a baseball bat, tennis racket similar to peach's, and a move that somehow referenced Mario Party. Maybe his up B could be the dice and it could work similar to game and watch's hammer.
Rosalina: Rosalina is a very important character in Galaxy. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of the best games on the Wii, and are very important games in Mario's history. Rosalina is a logical add and could be unique to Peach with a different moveset.

Paper Mario:
Paper Mario: Another original moveset, and a completley new playstyle is possible here. He'd be able to use his hammer and the Final Smash could be extremely creative.

WarioWare:
Wario

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool: he's one of the few long time Nintendo villains who has never made a Smash appearance. Chance for an original moveset as well as a long time requested villain.

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Painting Link: We've seen that Sakurai likes to include a recent variation of Link, and while Toon Link has a shot due to the Wind Waker remake, I think Painting Link could be the more unique character.

Metroid:
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley: does this really need to be explained?

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena: We know Sakurai likes to include much into Smash from the games he has personally developed. Combine that with the high demand for her after the success of uprising, and I think she'd be a great character to add.

Ice Climbers:
Ice Climbers

ROB:
ROB

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Yarn Kirby: There is potential for a completley original and fun moveset here. Epic yarn was a wonderful game and should be represented.

Pikmin:
Olimar
Charlie: Pikmin 3's new captain should play similarly to Olimar, but should feature the new Pikmin from the new game.

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal: Along with Ridley, Brawl's biggest snub. Time to bring her in.

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypiff
Red (Pokemon Trainer, keeping Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle)
Blue: Another Pokemon trainer who's three Pokemon would be Lucario, Mewtwo, and Pichu.
Black/White or X/Y Trainer: Another trainer that would play like Red. Gives the opportunity for three current gen Pokemon reps.

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike
Chrom: Ike and Marth are different enough to keep both. But I'd love to see Awakening repped and Chrom would be a fine selection. The best selling FE game ever needs some love on this roster.

Mother:
Ness
Lucas

Game and Watch:
Mr. Game and Watch

Fling Smash:
Zip: Zip would be one of the most unique characters in the game. As a brand new Nintendo franchise, Fling Smash could use the exposure. Zip could be unique in that he is slow on land, but the fastest aerial character in the game. He could have very powerful aerial smash attacks as well.

Chibi-Robo:
Chibi-Robo: It's time this franchise got some love. Chibi-Robo has two games out now, with a third rumored, yet it's still almost unheard of. Nintendo would do well to promote this character. Chibi-robo is an endearing character that is easy to like. He'd be very original.

Captain Rainbow:
Captain Rainbow: It seems he'd be perfect for a Smash game. He is a superhero in his own game, so he'd already have a decent moveset. Besides, Rainbow vs Falcon would be really funny.

Doki Doki Panic:
Imajin: This would just be epic. Doki Doki Panic is the game that became Super Mario Bros 2 here in the States, and Imajin is the character that became Mario. The game (and character as well, iirc) was created by Miyamoto. Without Doki Doki Panic, the Mario series would never have had shy guys, birdo, or anything else introduced in that game. Peach wouldn't be pulling turnips in Smash and the SSE may have a different name (the world you entered when you walked through all those doors in Mario 2 is called the Subspace). Imajin's game is a huge part of Nintendo history.

Wii Etc:
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii: I'm actually thinking of a pre-designed, generic Mii rather than one of your own Mii's on the console. It would have moves based on wii sports, wii fit, wii sports resort, wii play, etc.

Animal Crossing:
Villager

Xenoblade:
Shulk: Next to the return of Sonic, this is my most wanted character. Xenoblade is an absolutely incredible game, and is one of the most critically acclaimed games of this console generation. And wielding the Monado as Shulk...this needs to happen.

Golden Sun:
Isaac: right up there with Krystal and Ridley, one of the most requested characters. It's time he's added to the roster.

3rd Party:
Sonic
Snake
Mega Man
Pac-Man: with Namco involved in development, I feel this classic character is close to a shoe-in.
Viewtiful Joe: no third party character would fit better. His moveset in Viewtiful Joe would fit seamlessly into Smash. His game won several GOTY awards as a GameCube exclusive and every single game he has been featured in, with the exception of Marvel vs Capcom 2, has been on a Nintendo platform (sometimes exclusively).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's been awhile for me, but how does everyone feel about cuts now? I've been firmly against them and doubting them. But after yesterday it almost seems inevitable which saddens me.
I've got this one.

Sakurai said that not all the characters would come back when Brawl was first announced. Pichu, Roy, Doc and Mewtwo did not come back; however, the latter three were all on the disc. Mewtwo was much farther along. The only reason these guys weren't in was because of Sonic (which was also why the game was delayed). This wont be a problem this time because Megaman was added from the start and there doesn't look like any third party character that is popular enough to join. It's likely that most of the characters will return. The only characters I expect not to come back are Sonic and Snake on account of them being guest.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Uh, yeah......I know that's why I said "Why would you have 5 Zelda reps and 5 Poke'mon reps, but only 4 Mario reps?
Oh.
Because Mario is technically over represented as it is and the franchise doesn't really need another character anyways.

If it was to get another character I would go for Toad.
Ariand, that roster looks really safe, no new surprise whatsoever.
If you saw this two weeks ago you wouldn't believe the roster at all. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are the new surprises, hands down. We don't really need another big surprise. But I honestly believe that this roster will be the bare minimum of what we could get. Sakurai wants to fit as many as possible so here is something a bit more interesting for your taste (I posted this with the other roster as a wishful roster).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Painting Link?!?

I need a drink....

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh.
Because Mario is technically over represented as it is and the franchise doesn't really need another character anyways.
What!? Okay

1. How is having 5 Mario characters over representing the Mario Franchise, but having 5 Zelda or Poke'mon reps isn't? Is having 3 characters within Poke'mon Trainer over represented then?

2. How do you over represent the Face of Nintendo. The company's mascot and one of the most famous video game characters of all time. That's why we had 5 Mario reps in Melee instead of 4. Mario deserves special treatment.

3. "As it is" Are you saying having more than 3 characters in Brawl from the face of the company was too many? Meaning there should have been less than the other games?

I'm sorry, but there is no logic in that whatsoever.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
You have nothing to back the statement that the roster is realistic at 40. Adding 5 characters and cutting several will not be appealing to most people. Characters are what sell the game.

Not to mention, Sakurai has not said he is cutting anyone. Ever. He also said that he isn't going to let gameplay enhancements hold back more characters. He just wants to focus on the gameplay.
Sakurai: "It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed."

Sakurai has and almost certainly WILL cut characters in Smash. Better learn to deal with this fast. Though you are right at saying that I have no proof that a 40-character roster is realistic. I still hold that it's a more realistic prediction than the 40+ character rosters you see made in these threads.

As for your second statement, I have to partially disagree. Famous characters are what sell the game, and let's be realistic- most of the famous characters were veterans from the 64 version of Smash.

SSF43D had 35 characters, which took up most of the 2 GB.
The maximum for a 3DS Cart is 8 GB.
I'm sure we will get a big roster, if Sakurai crams in all the GBs right.
Sakurai cannot actually afford to have a massive roster though. Having many characters is a lot of work- it ceases being a matter of space and it starts becoming a matter of time. Remember they are making TWO GAMES AT THE SAME TIME. Sure, they might be different teams, but they have to coordinate with each other, and work out the differences between the games, and make stages, and music, and so on and so forth. Point is: the release date has been set for 2014, and as someone who has studied 3D animation in university I can assure you that game design is hard and time consuming. Very, very time consuming.

Though getting only 40 slots certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility, there is also the statement that Sakurai wants to add as many characters as possible and that he and his team are focusing most of their energy on the characters and stages. The roster should be fine hopefully and the 3DS shouldn't affect it too much. I think 45 slots is okay, go higher than 50 and you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
Ok, I'm pretty tired of people taking that quote out of context.

"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS," Sakurai said. The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters.
"So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible."

Now, It's not made clear whether Sakurai is literally talking about the character sizes or the characters themselves, but either way the roster is affected.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So many people take that quote the wrong way. It essentially means that don't expect a roster jump in size equivalent to Brawl's increase. Not the roster size itself. That is usually how people see that quote.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, but with the money, they can buy more time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Certainly, but then you can expect the 50 character roster version of Smash so many people here want in 2015.

And even if it did take that long, I wouldn't mind at all. At least then they don't have to rush and create another "Forbidden Seven" situation...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People halp. I am making a 50 character roster.

Should I have 5 Poke'mon, Mario, and Zelda reps?

Or should I have 5 Mario reps and stay at 4 Zelda and Poke'mon reps?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That depends on who you're adding. Specify?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
It' going to be at least 50 characters in total
Prepare to be disappointed.

And even if it did take that long, I wouldn't mind at all. At least then they don't have to rush and create another "Forbidden Seven" situation...
I can wait, too. But can the other millions of Smash fans wait? Can Nintendo wait, when the Wii U is already struggling in terms of exclusive titles? Can Sakurai deal with it, when he says himself that working on Smash is stressful and hard? I really think you should all wake up just a bit.

40 characters. That's my final say.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's always the possibility of DLC. Sakurai isn't against it, after all.

Still keeping my expectations low, though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Prepare to be disappointed.

I can wait, too. But can the other millions of Smash fans wait? Can Nintendo wait, when the Wii U is already struggling in terms of exclusive titles? Can Sakurai deal with it, when he says himself that working on Smash is stressful and hard? I really think you should all wake up just a bit.

40 characters. That's my final say.

You act as though your say is the "be all, end all," though, which isn't the case. I'm sure if people knew it would be a better game for the wait, they'd understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom