• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I find it more likely to see Roy added as DLC, I don't think he's relevant or important enough to warrant being added to the main game, but he's definitely popular enough to warrant a DLC slot. He's a character you could live without yet you know he would sell, and I'm sure they now he would sell too.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't really get where the idea that Chrom is "unappealing" comes from.
I don't know, maybe because he's trying to be a knock off of Marth and Ike and he lacks anything really notable about him to really make people enthusiastic about the character. I mean, you think people were ******** about Chrom being a really boring addition for ****s and giggles?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Sakurai has stated that Smash has found its niche, in gamaeplay and fanbase because it's such a massive franchise now. He's not going to be looking to draw in more masses to the games, it's already huge. He's said that he's gonna focus on making it even more polished and perfect. Appeal to the fanbase if you will, thus I think bringing back old cut characters is a move he's gonna make. Marth & Ike > Roy > Chrom > any other probable FE reps.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
*might if he is in the game

Honestly everyone here seems to assume that mega man is in the game for sure, and it dumbfounds me. Like I know he would make a perfect character, but he isn't Nintendo property in the least bit! Why is he such a guarantee...
He's as likely as Chrom. Sakurai wasn't kidding when he spoke of the possibility of a Capcom character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't know, maybe because he's trying to be a knock off of Marth and Ike and he lacks anything really notable about him to really make you enthusiastic. I mean, you think people were *****ing about Chrom being a really boring addition for ****s and giggles?
I'm speaking of his appeal in terms of bringing in players, not his appeal to members of the community here. Chrom is massively popular as an FE:A character as demonstrated by popularity polls and fan discussion alike, and would certainly attract a lot of attention with his inclusion, particularly given how many people got into FE for the first time with FE:A.

Thinking back on that poll again, I think Lucina actually was significantly more popular since they counted
"Marth"
as a separate character. She's still got the crippling problem of looking way too much like Marth, though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Reduced the roster to 50, I had some realizations.
1. King K. Rool is the majority DKC franchise, with DKC to DKC 3, Dixie is pretty minor since all 3 (DK, DK, KKR) appeared in every game.
2. Snake doesn't really represent Nintendo, I replaced him with Professor Layton, because he had the better bond of Nintendo, with most of his exclusives belonging to Nintendo.
3. I removed King Hippo, because apparently, Punch Out is fine alone with just Little Mac, it hasn't got quite to the point where it has a gaining popular as FE.
4. I removed Dillon and Red Hero, simply because Platinum has one good rep already, and Dillon was personally my removal (Despite being a great eShop rep)

I will just be short on description, simply because I said it before.

Best Additional DKC Rep- King K. Rool
Best Additional Metroid Rep- Ridley
Best Modern Reps- Shulk, Little Mac, Tom Nook
Best Additional KI Reps- Palutena, Hades (I still believe that a new KI character from KI:U should be added)
Best Retro Rep- Prince Sable, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter
Best Additional FE Rep- Chrom
Best Additional Pokemon Rep- Mewtwo
Best 3rd Parties that represent partnerships- Megaman, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Professor Layton.

Although I have a feeling of not being satisfied here, what do you think of this roster now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Chrom was more popular than Lucina overall, at least according to the poll that directed the swimsuit DLC. Lucina's main problem is that she is so similar to Marth visually that there'd probably be just too much room for confusion.

I don't really get where the idea that Chrom is "unappealing" comes from. He does exceedingly well in all of the Awakening popularity polls that I've seen, as well as general internet discussion about the game.

Honestly, people are saying all sorts of things where I'm just not sure anymore who to listen too. Everyone seems to say that Lucina is way more popular. Yet in the poll's I've seen their at least equal or Chrom is higher than her. Such as these ones.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/fe13poll.jpg
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

Not to mention Summer Scramble where Chrom and a few others received swimsuit clothes because they were the most popular characters in Awakening, yet Lucina wasn't included. Like seriously, who is telling the truth? Please to both sides. Show your sources that Lucina is more popular than Chrom becuase this is just getting silly now. That's all I'm asking for and I will accept it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm convinced that Megaman is likely because he's got massive support and he's Nintendo's best option for a jaw-dropping, hype-generating inclusion to rival that of Snake's, which they will want.

Thinking about it, it is rather unfortunate that the announcements which generate the biggest hype aren't actual Nintendo characters, though. To be expected, I suppose.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
He's as likely as Chrom.
No he's not :laugh: how can you possibly say a character not owned by Nintendo is more likely than one of the two top contenders of a franchise that could include both?! The only third party that actually is likely is a namco rep and that isn't opinion it's common sense.

Mega man is third party and his company is not co developing the game.

Also I think I need to post this on every page just to remind everyone, habanero REALLY hates Chrom so don't try to reason with him in that regard.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm speaking of his appeal in terms of bringing in players, not his appeal to members of the community here. Chrom is massively popular as an FE:A character as demonstrated by popularity polls and fan discussion alike, and would certainly attract a lot of attention with his inclusion, particularly given how many people got into FE for the first time with FE:A.

Yes, it's going to attract a very minimal amount of people to the game. But it's not going to be worth it overall no matter how you look at it. The bigger picture here is that fans of Super Smash Bros. are going to complain about him being a very unoriginal character and he's going to be a very unpopular character because of it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
1. Five 3rd parties is very unlikely. I suggest you to cut Bayonetta.
2. Tom Nook is awesome, but Sakurai shot them down unfortunately.

The rest of the roster is fine, with the notable absence of Isaac. Put him in Bayonetta's spot.
Props for removing Mr. Hanafuda!

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

1. King K. Rool is the majority DKC franchise, with DKC to DKC 3, Dixie is pretty minor since all 3 (DK, DK, KKR) appeared in every game.
2. Snake doesn't really represent Nintendo, I replaced him with Professor Layton, because he had the better bond of Nintendo, with most of his exclusives belonging to Nintendo.
3. I removed King Hippo, because apparently, Punch Out is fine alone with just Little Mac, it hasn't got quite to the point where it has a gaining popular as FE.
4. I removed Dillon and Red Hero, simply because Platinum has one good rep already, and Dillon was personally my removal (Despite being a great eShop rep)

Best Additional KI Reps- Palutena, Hades (I still believe that a new KI character from KI:U should be added)
Best 3rd Parties that represent partnerships- Megaman, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Professor Layton.

Although I have a feeling of not being satisfied here, what do you think of this roster now.
That's looking a lot better. People are gonna say you have sketchy picks but I won't because sakurai will 100 % guaranteed not just add the 15 most popular characters or whatever. You really cleaned this up nice. Props.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yes, it's going to attract a very minimal amount of people to the game.
Isn't FE:A one of the best-selling entries in the entire series? And hell, it's not like they haven't cast lords before based at least in part for marketing purposes. Roy's inclusion was certainly motivated by a desire to promote the new FE game, though I am certain that other factors played into his inclusion as well.

The bigger picture here is that fans of Super Smash Bros. are going to complain about him being a very unoriginal character and he's going to be a very unpopular character because of it.

Says who? Chrom is very widely liked by FE:A fans. No reason he wouldn't be very widely liked by Smash fans, especially since FE characters are traditionally very popular in Smash.

Yes I know, but they are both lower than Chrom who received more votes. (plus for "Marth" it could be that some really thought that Lucina was Marth and weren't that far into the game yet.)

They're both lower, but put together they have almost 100 more votes than Chrom. Whether or not people realized that it was Lucina is pretty immaterial, since it was still Lucina acting with Lucina's personality no matter what she was wearing. That said, even if only half the people who voted for "Marth" actually know who it was, Lucina still surpasses Chrom.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No he's not :laugh: how can you possibly say a character not owned by Nintendo is more likely than one of the two top contenders of a franchise that could include both?! The only third party that actually is likely is a namco rep and that isn't opinion it's common sense.
For the same basic reason you quoted about adding in the stragglers. :p

I'd argue that he is less likely than a big gun like K. Rool or Ridley, but he would be a bigger priority than Chrom or Roy or Lucario.
(Just a repeat of what happened in Brawl. Mewtwo and Roy got shafted for Sonic.)

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

The rest of the roster is fine, with the notable absence of Isaac. Put him in Bayonetta's spot.
Opinions change, I still have hope for Tom nook. As for the third parties I would cut Layton first, since platinum is working with Nintendo now and bayonetta would potentially take snakes slot as the mature addition. All in all I would be perfectly fine with this roster. Also doesnt platinum now working with Nintendo make bayonetta second party?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Says who? Chrom is very widely liked by FE:A fans. No reason he wouldn't be very widely liked by Smash fans, especially since FE characters are traditionally very popular in Smash.

It doesn't matter if he's widely liked by fans of Fire Emblem, he's not exactly a keen choice for a character in Super Smash Bros. You may be in denial now, but watch as he gets revealed and people complain about the character being some sort of Ike wannabe and start questioning if Fire Emblem truly has nothing else to offer. He's not going to be the character that will attract a lot of people by a long shot, I'm warning you right now.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Says Habanero.

He really hates Chrom with a passion.

Yeah, I get that impression.

except it'll probably be Marth...just to troll us.

We'll most likely see Marth before any other FE character. The question is whether we see another FE character along with Marth, dueling with him or something. That'd be a fun way to (re)introduce Roy/Chrom/Lucina/whoever.

It doesn't matter if he's widely liked by fans of Fire Emblem, he's not exactly a keen choice for a character in Super Smash Bros. You may be in denial now, but watch as he gets revealed and people complain about the character being some sort of Ike wannabe and start questioning if Fire Emblem truly has nothing else to offer. He's not going to be the character that will attract a lot of people by a long shot, I'm warning you right now.

If Roy managed to attract a highly loyal following despite being extremely similar to Marth in terms of gameplay, I think Chrom will do fine.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I added Bayonetta simply because of (rumors), she is still a one shot (Like Snake, simply because of interest despite of the partnership).
I still believe that AC needs a rep.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They're both lower, but put together they have almost 100 more votes than Chrom. Whether or not people realized that it was Lucina is pretty immaterial, since it was still Lucina acting with Lucina's personality no matter what she was wearing. That said, even if only half the people who voted for "Marth" actually know who it was, Lucina still surpasses Chrom.

I'm still not certain about that. Why put both together and if people knew that masked Marth was Lucina, why didn't they vote for her instead? She was also on the poll. I'm going to stick to the assumption that most of those who voted for "Marth"really thought she was Marth unless proven otherwise. :/

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm still not certain about that. Why put both together and if people knew that masked Marth was Lucina, why didn't they vote for her instead? She was also on the poll. I'm going to stick to the assumption that most of those who voted for "Marth"really thought She was Marth unless proven otherwise. :/

It's tough to say either way. If somebody voted for masked Marth because they haven't gotten to the midway point in the game, they are unable to vote for Lucina even if they suspect that it's not actually Marth behind the mask, which they really should. I'd certainly be willing to bet that at least a third or so of those votes are by people who suspected that it wasn't Marth, since the game makes it pretty obvious, and that alone is enough to put her past Chrom.

Still, can't really say either way, I suppose.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nah. Ike was fine, any subsequent FE lords will be fine.

I'd really like to see an FE character without Counter. I think that'd be interesting. Give them something else cool instead.
But, he has like the same type of sword and is related to Marth. what special moves did he have in awakening?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But, he has like the same type of sword and is related to Marth. what special moves did he have in awakening?
Chrom's Falchion looks incredibly different than Marth's. They are different types of swords.

Chrom could use spears, and use the exalted Falcion.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The special abilities he gets by default are Aether and Rightful King, the latter of which is a passive bonus, but I think you can reclass him to a few different things? Regardless, I wouldn't expect Nintendo to adhere to the special moves strictly available to the Lord class and no more. Plenty of stuff to choose from.

So Marth was never part of FE:A?

He's in DLC with a neat redesign.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's tough to say either way. If somebody voted for masked Marth because they haven't gotten to the midway point in the game, they are unable to vote for Lucina even if they suspect that it's not actually Marth behind the mask, which they really should. I'd certainly be willing to bet that at least a third or so of those votes are by people who suspected that it wasn't Marth, since the game makes it pretty obvious, and that alone is enough to put her past Chrom.

Still, can't really say either way, I suppose.

Then they voted for her in the assumption that she was Marth. Of course they may count it as Lucina anyway but its pretty hard to tell what those who voted for "Marth" thought of it in the end, of course there is a percentage of those who ended up liking her in the end. But there could also be those who were disappointed in finding out she wasn't Marth despite the hints given and maybe even replacing her with the real Marth through that Champions of Yore DLC. (Okay, a card version of the real Marth but still).

I guess we won't know unless we could ask all of those who voted for "Marth." Because in the end, this is all just assumptions we are making right now. :/

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Then they voted for her in the assumption that she was Marth.
I can't speak for them, but I was doubting that the masked individual was Marth after their very first appearance. If it was the real Marth, they wouldn't be wearing a mask. Characters are given masks to hide something.

I guess we won't know unless we could ask all of those who voted for "Marth." Because in the end, this is all just assumptions we are making right now. :/
Heh, true.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I can't speak for them, but I was doubting that the masked individual was Marth after their very first appearance. If it was the real Marth, they wouldn't be wearing a mask. Characters are given masks to hide something.

Heh, true.

Yes, that is usually true. But I guess some people could still have had a shred of hope that it would be the real Marth anyway, I've actually seen a number of people who got easily fooled.

Again, we wont know for certain.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I used to remember everyone ******** about Chrom being incredibly drab and were complaining that we were forced to get that character instead of something a lot more colorful. I don't understand how that's turning around lately.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Three Kid Icarus reps is unlikely. Especially when the third one would work better as a boss in story/boss rush mode. If you still want to believe this then i recommend using Magnus or soemthing.
An Animal Crossing rep is not going to happen unless Sakurai says otherwise.
Five third parties will not happen. Two of your choices are very unlikely also. (Bayo and Layto)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Three Kid Icarus reps is unlikely. Especially when the third one would work better as a boss in story/boss rush mode. If you still want to believe this then i recommend using Magnus or soemthing.
An Animal Crossing rep is not going to happen unless Sakurai says otherwise.
Five third parties will not happen. Two of your choices are very unlikely also. (Bayo and Layto)
It's called partnership.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Ooooh, speaking of bosses: what do we think for those? Or are we not allowed to discuss that here?

I wonder if we'll see Grima, though he might be too large entirely. And I guess that could be considered a spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom