• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is as bad as saying Wolf is a Fox clone. :facepalm:

Also, that attack is not Aether!
Ummm Wolf is TECHNICALLY a Fox clone.

Plus regardless of it not being CALLED Aether, it does pretty much the exact same thing besides the sword being thrown up into the air.

So which would be better?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ummm Wolf is TECHNICALLY a Fox clone.
Yeahno. Wolf isn't a Fox clone. Wolf and Fox have only 5 moves in common, out of a total of 23 moves. (The four specials and the Landmaster) Even calling them semi-clones is a stretch, due to the moves functioning differently.
Plus regardless of it not being CALLED Aether, it does pretty much the exact same thing besides the sword being thrown up into the air.
If you remember Lyn's Assist Trophy in Brawl, Lyn did not use that sword. Her katana (the Mani Katti, which she uses in her Brawl AT) is far more iconic to her.

Also, Lyn is neither a heavy-hitter nor a slow character (from a Smash perspective).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only character everyone can agree on definitely being in smash as a Fire Emblem rep is Marth. Everyone else is just a free recipe of getting a huge headache. Honestly, in the end we might as well all just agree to disagree since we really can't predict what they will do with the Fire Emblem cast. Either Ike returns, either Roy returns, either Chrom joins, or they will all be there. (or we might get the likes of Anna, Lyn and Lucina). etc etc etc etc.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeahno. Wolf isn't a Fox clone. Wolf and Fox have only 5 moves in common, out of a total of 23 moves. (The four specials and the Landmaster) Even calling them semi-clones is a stretch, due to the moves functioning differently.

If you remember Lyn's Assist Trophy in Brawl, Lyn did not use that sword. Her katana (the Mani Katti, which she uses in her Brawl AT) is far more iconic to her.

Also, Lyn is neither a heavy-hitter nor a slow character (from a Smash perspective).
Regardless of that she still has 2 special moves very similar to Ike and a bow.

So what do you call someone who has altered but same special moves, but not not ALL the same moves

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I say Wolf's special moveset was based on Fox's, because it obviously was, but I don't call him a clone (which he's not), or even semi-clone (which is more debatable), just because someone will start ******** about the definition.

Learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lyn using aether would not make any sense.

Aether is Ike's (and Chrom's) thing.

Wouldn't it make more sense for her to do Dolphin Blade?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Roy is the only fire emblem character that's basically gonna be in it, lyn and chrom are in the category under him to make it in as far as I'm concerned. Realisticly I think we will only get a decloned Roy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Marth, Ike, Roy and/or Chrom is the most likely scenario.

Marth and Ike because they are popular veterans.

Roy because of his demand to come back and his popularity.

Chrom because of his popularity.

All four of them have good shots.

Any other FE character doesn't really have a good shot.

Lyn is the only choice that I might reconsider.

Anna would be the perfect WTF character though.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
1. Because there are so many of them. She happens to be one of the few who is a main protagonist.
I get that there are a lot of female characters in Fire Emblem. That much is a fact. I'm asking why we should have one, though. Is the fact that they're female the only reason we're including them? I just don't understand why a character's inclusion should be based on their gender is all. If gender was so important, wouldn't we have more females already?

2. Lyn's moves would not be new. She has a bow that Pit & Link have and her B up and Forward would probably be the same as Ike. Plus her slash move would probably take up her B forward. Anna is traditionally a non playable character. She usually hosts shops and tutorials.
Okay, but that doesn't really answer my question. Eirika only uses Swords in The Sacred Stones, meaning that she has nothing to differentiate herself from Lyn or Anna, both of which can use a second weapon type in addition to their swords, as well as that both are much more recognizable in the series. What I'm asking is why should Eirika be playable over the other two, not why shouldn't the other two be playable.

3. Eirika takes up the spot as the Marth clone.
Now what do you mean by that? Ike wasn't a Marth clone. A character being a clone means they share extremely similar movesets and animations. A player would be able to play as one and have most of the difficulty curve for the other over with. Ike and Marth play very differently in that they follow none of the above criteria. Still, are you saying that because Eirika would play just like Marth, she should be playable? Because I'd rather see a different character if Eirika would just be another Marth...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wait a minute. Eirika is being included because she would be a Marth clone? :laugh:

It's rare to see someone who wants to add clones.

In any case, if you want a Marth clone, I suggest Roy.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Roy is the only fire emblem character that's basically gonna be in it, lyn and chrom are in the category under him to make it in as far as I'm concerned. Realisticly I think we will only get a decloned Roy.

Not to rain on any Roy supporters' parades, but I think that Roy is probably lowest on the priority list of Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Roy. He's certainly got better chances than any FE lord who hasn't been in Smash, with the exception of characters from Awakening, but I think it'll be a bit tougher for him to get in than an Awakening rep, and certainly tougher than Ike. Roy doesn't pull in new players, while an Awakening rep does, and Nintendo will likely find FE:A cross-promotion very desirable.

They've all got a good chance, but I would rank the likelihood as Marth > Chrom/FE:A rep > Ike > Roy, personally.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wait a minute. Eirika is being included because she would be a Marth clone? :laugh:

1. Never said it was BECAUSE she's a clone. You said that just now.
2. Are you implying there is not going to be a SINGLE clone in SSB4. That's pretty farfetched :ohwell:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not to rain on any Roy supporters' parades, but I think that Roy is probably lowest on the priority list of Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Roy. He's certainly got better chances than any FE lord who hasn't been in Smash, with the exception of characters from Awakening, but I think it'll be a bit tougher for him to get in than an Awakening rep, and certainly tougher than Ike. Roy doesn't pull in new players, while an Awakening rep does, and Nintendo will likely find FE:A cross-promotion very desirable.

They've all got a good chance, but I would rank the likelihood as Marth > Chrom/FE:A rep > Ike > Roy, personally.

Roy is more popular both in the West and Japan.

Roy would pull in more players. And there is the fact that the Ike VS. Roy DLC packs were called "Smash Brethren".

I personally don't think Ike is going anywhere, either. He's the Number 1 most popular Western Lord, and trumps both Chrom AND Roy in popularity.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Heres how I see it Marth>Ike>Roy>Lyn>Chrom, since marth and ike are already established as well as roy being popular being in a smash already and roy was almost in brawl and is extremely popular and he had dlc in the new fire emblem game, lyn over chrom since she was the first main character for western audiences in a fire emblem game and she has gone so far as to be an assist trophy, chrom is just the flavor of the month (aka the main character of the newest game).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
2. Are you implying there is not going to be a SINGLE clone in SSB4. That's pretty farfetched :ohwell:
1. It's just that you say that like we need a Marth clone when Brawl did without one just fine. Besides if we get a Marth clone, it would be Roy.
2. He never said that. Don't put words in his mouth.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Roy is more popular both in the West and Japan.

Roy would pull in more players. And there is the fact that the Ike VS. Roy DLC packs were called "Smash Brethren".

I personally don't think Ike is going anywhere, either. He's the Number 1 most popular Western Lord, and trumps both Chrom AND Roy in popularity.

Roy doesn't pull in new players, though. Roy pulls in people who are already big fans of Smash and liked him in Melee, and these people are already very likely to buy a new Smash. That's what hurts Roy in comparison to a FE:A rep. He's a great nostalgia rep, but he doesn't offer Nintendo anything in terms of promoting upcoming games or attracting new players to the franchise, because Roy's game is quite old and (from what I read, anyways, I haven't played it) FE players have generally mixed feelings toward him in that game.

I don't think Ike is going anywhere, as I think FE gets three slots, but if push comes to shove I think Nintendo will go with a character that offers them much greater cross-promotion potential, as they have done in the past with Brawl.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
So basically, if you got characters, fill 'em up? Why expand a finished franchise such as Mother or a over-representated franchise such as StarFox when other franchises, that are relevant, can be expanded/introduced? Such Metroid, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Super Punch Out, Advanced Wars, Sin and Punishment, Shin Onigashima, etc etc etc. what I'm trying to say is why bolster a well-representated series when other series have yet to be well-representated or have no representation? "Oh, Metroid only has Samus so let's throw in Ninten!"

The series I've listed are all active or have received attention (f-zero) in some form. Hence why I think pulling characters from there, to fill a roster spot, is much more beneficial than diving into finished/dead series that have been already represented. Unless Mother/EB will receive a reboot or a port, I'll stand by that Mother/Earthbound has already been represented well enough in the Smash Universe.
because, as I said, some lesser franchises have more Viable characters that actually fit into smash than the popular ones.

wasn't your point that franchises that are more "popular and relevant" should get reps over one's that are lesser but you ae naming franchises that are less relevant that Earthbound or star Fox to the Smash bros franchise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If there was a bounty hunter rep in SSB4 who would be the best choice?
Samus.

In all seriouness. None of them. There are none that stick out.

All Metroid needs is both form of Samus and Ridley.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What was your reasoning for Eirika then?

I said that people usually want to cut clones.
And actually Smash 4 having no clones isn't really farfetched. Brawl had only one full clone.:toonlink:
Falco, Ganondorf, Luigi were very differentiated from Fox, Capt. Falcon and Mario.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Heres how I see it Marth>Ike>Roy>Lyn>Chrom, since marth and ike are already established as well as roy being popular being in a smash already and roy was almost in brawl and is extremely popular and he had dlc in the new fire emblem game, lyn over chrom since she was the first main character for western audiences in a fire emblem game and she has gone so far as to be an assist trophy, chrom is just the flavor of the month (aka the main character of the newest game).

Chrom's just the flavor of the month, true, but he is an extremely popular flavor of the month for a very recently released game, and the power of that popularity cannot be discounted.

I'm also dubious as to the arguments that Roy's DLC in Awakening gives him better odds than an actual Awakening character since, well, it's DLC for Awakening.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

I kind of get what he is saying in a way. The game does have a high chance of having last minute clones added to the roster at the end, even if people want to think that it couldn't possibly happen. Most fighting games do have a few clones and personally I don't care because the character probably would not have gotten in if it weren't due to being a clone. Predicting these, while maybe not something we want, can still be worthwhile.

That being said, Eirika being a last minute Marth clone is completely bogus. First of all, there are other fire emblem characters who would easily take her spot as a Marth clone such as Roy or Lucina. Second of all she uses a rapier and using all of Marths moves would look really really awkward. I'd say if Eirika were to make it, it would be as a Eirika/ephraim team, but that's the only way.

And also Noah says that lyn would be an Ike clone.... Wut.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Roy doesn't pull in new players, though. Roy pulls in people who are already big fans of Smash and liked him in Melee, and these people are already very likely to buy a new Smash. That's what hurts Roy in comparison to a FE:A rep. He's a great nostalgia rep, but he doesn't offer Nintendo anything in terms of promoting upcoming games or attracting new players to the franchise, because Roy's game is quite old and (from what I read, anyways, I haven't played it) FE players have generally mixed feelings toward him in that game.
There's the Roy DLC, you know. So he can pull in some new players.
No really, some users on this site have stated that the Roy's new design has made them fans of Roy.

I kind of get what he is saying in a way. The game does have a high chance of having last minute clones added to the roster at the end, even if people want to think that it couldn't possibly happen. Most fighting games do have a few clones and personally I don't care because the character probably would not have gotten in if it weren't due to being a clone. Predicting these, while maybe not something we want, can still be worthwhile.
I honestly doubt that. The roster isn't a small one anymore that Sakurai would want to buff the roster. And there is the possibility of DLC.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Chrom's just the flavor of the month, true, but he is an extremely popular flavor of the month for a very recently released game, and the power of that popularity cannot be discounted.
Like Zoroark? Look how that turned out.

Lasting popularity is the most important because we can rely on it. The fact that Roy has stayed so popular for this long is astounding. It shows true love for the character.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

And actually Smash 4 having no clones isn't really farfetched. Brawl had only one full clone.:toonlink:
Falco, Ganondorf, Luigi were very differentiated from Fox, Capt. Falcon and Mario.
I still think they need to work a little more on falco, lucas and ganon though (and tons on toon link), and give luigi his vacuum.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There's the Roy DLC, you know. So he can pull in some new players.
No really, some users on this site have stated that the Roy's new design has made them fans of Roy.

I don't doubt it, but anyone playing that DLC has already played through at least a good chunk of Awakening itself. Roy just can't compete with an Awakening character in the cross-promotion department. The WiiU's distress also probably helps the chances of an Awakening rep, as Awakening's gigantic popularity provides Nintendo with a large, readily-accessible base of players they can encourage to buy Smash by including a popular character from the latest Fire Emblem.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can't you pretty much use that same argument for Lucario?
Not really. Lucario is still pretty popular in both Pokemon and Smash. And this is years after Gen 4.

Zoroark's popularity in Smash crashed the moment Mewtwo's new form was announced. He's still a decently popular Pokemon, but no where near Lucario.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Like Zoroark? Look how that turned out.

Lasting popularity is the most important because we can rely on it. The fact that Roy has stayed so popular for this long is astounding. It shows true love for the character.
It doesn't say anything, Roy is popular because he was in smash. Likewise Chrom will be just as popular if he makes it to smash. Even more likewise, zoroark would be popular if he made it to smash. Lucario would also likely not be popular if he didnt make it to smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Can't you pretty much use that same argument for Lucario? Yet he became playable. :/
Lucario is more a case of Roy actually. Zoroark never reached the level of popularity Lucario enjoyed.

And with Gen 6, Zoroark's support collapsed. Lucario's support was affected that badly.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Well,that's just not true: :wolf::lucas:

And Toon Link wasn't a FULL clone he had differences too, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Note that when I say clone I am not reffering to someone EXACTLY the same as another character.

Clones are a traditional thing in SSB.

There is no term for someone who has the same specials, but differentiated and their own A moves. And there has never been a character 100% the same as another.

So generally I use the term clone. I could only be referring to alternate versions of the character since there are no characters that are 100% the same.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No, I was talking about during the Brawl day's. Where Lucario was very popular and still made it into Brawl. A similar case with Fire Emblem Awakening where the game is very popular too. As well as Chrom being really popular in the game polls. And getting his own little... fanservice DLC due to how popular he was.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It doesn't say anything, Roy is popular because he was in smash. Likewise Chrom will be just as popular if he makes it to smash. Even more likewise, zoroark would be popular if he made it to smash. Lucario would also likely not be popular if he didnt make it to smash.
Lucario got into smash because of requests sir. He is a very popular pokemon.

And I never said how characters got that popularity. I just said Roy has a huge amount of it. While smash plays a huge part in it, he's also popular in Japan because of FE6 and his manga.

Zoroark and Chrom would be more popular if they made it into smash, but Lucario and Roy are still incredibly popular out of smash as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom