• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So it's not worth enough for people to find out the first piece of Nintendo history?
I may have made a deck of cards that has unrealistic limbs just to let the character move on it own, but it is a character that represents Nintendo in the beginning. Also Mr. Love Hotel is bad idea (despite the fact is was a joke).
Having people find out about the first piece of Nintendo history is a good idea.
Doing so through a completely random deck of cards with cartoonish limbs is a **** idea. Worse than the Mr. Love Hotel idea.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why not make them an item that the character can grab? They can throw cards that explode at people.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Love hotel should be an item. :troll:

When someone touches it, he and anther random character are drawn into the hotel, and fall in love with each other. :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If it was not a character, then no one would give a ..... about an item, just like Unira.
I think I said before having it as an item would be dull anyways. But bringing a product with something new (with card like powers) as a character has never been done in Smash. It's like a rock with actual legs. Sakurai even allowed a treasure chest with legs to be in KI:U. So there goes your opinion about a deck of cards being a .....ty idea.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ok, I posted on the wrong thread, but here I'll explain:
Sakurai had to think of a way to implement G&W products into a Smash game. Sakurai then came up with the ridiculous idea of making into a character, in which his moves came from a variety of G&W games. He then called it "Mr. Game and Watch.", although it's not an actual character from the G&W games. It's pretty similar to Mr. Hanafuda, but his moves come from a variety of Nintendo toys. For the most part it would look pretty weird for a floating deck of cards to attack players, so adding limbs to this character would make this character not look like floating Lunatones, it's a pretty crazy idea to as a LCD black and white figure. So probably, this guy would be called "Mr. Hanafuda", despite similarities with the names of Mr. Game and Watch.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Atleast, G&W looks like a sentient being. Your idea of Mr. Hanafuda doesn't even have that.

I'm not saying that a character representing Hanafuda is impossible, but I'm 100% sure it won't be a pack of cards with hands and legs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How do you suppose you that it can be a character without being a Yu-Gi like character.
Nintendouji. :smirk:

Anyways, A YuGiOh like character isn't a bad idea in the slightest. There are no such characters like that in Smash now.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well clearly you didn't find the craziness in having a deck of cards that uses Nintendo toys as attacks that works when you realize.
He's a crazy idea, but I'm sure MANY would be put off by his looks. Mr. G&W at least looks like a cartoon.

Now that I think about it, a pack of Hanafuda cards WITHOUT hands and legs seems more interesting. :laugh:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Meet Oswald from King of Fighters... he uses cards as his main weapon of attack. Yes, he slashes foes... WITH CARDS.

D

Deleted member

Ok, I posted on the wrong thread, but here I'll explain:
Sakurai had to think of a way to implement G&W products into a Smash game. Sakurai then came up with the ridiculous idea of making into a character, in which his moves came from a variety of G&W games. He then called it "Mr. Game and Watch.", although it's not an actual character from the G&W games. It's pretty similar to Mr. Hanafuda, but his moves come from a variety of Nintendo toys. For the most part it would look pretty weird for a floating deck of cards to attack players, so adding limbs to this character would make this character not look like floating Lunatones, it's a pretty crazy idea to as a LCD black and white figure. So probably, this guy would be called "Mr. Hanafuda", despite similarities with the names of Mr. Game and Watch.
Mr. Game & Watch was not a ridiculous idea; the Game & Watch franchise has dozens of nameless characters, and Mr. Game & Watch is just a composite of them all.
Mr. Hanafuda is just a deck of cards. With cartoon arms and legs. Downright idiotic.

Now, if Mr. Game & Watch was a Game & Watch handheld with arms and legs, then he'd be as stupid as Mr. Hanafuda.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There are no actual characters in Hanafuda, so whats, left, It would need to give it limbs as something crazy. Then give it Nintendo toys as moves to make it crazier in a good way to represent its pre-videogames era.

splat

Smash Lord
Not quite. While Mr. Game & Watch was not an established character, his basic design (a pitch-black stick-like figure) appeared in many Game & Watch games, as you can see when you follow this link. Of course, there's some differences between games, but look at Pikachu's sprites and you'll notice that's still happening. Hanafuda cards, on the other hand, have no set design. They have basic guidelines the sets follow (much like the Jack, Queen, King and Ace in a common card deck), but the design differs from set to set. Crafting a character that's obvious Hanafuda at first sight is near impossible for that reason.

Another thing is that Game & Watch was solely produced by Nintendo. Hanafuda cards aren't: there's still companies that make them to this day (including other big companies such as Disney). I think it's pretty awkward to include something that's not Nintendo's intellectual property (third party characters excluded, those are a different case) in a Nintendo All-Stars game.
Sure, Nintendo manufactured the things for a long time, but they also produced Twister, Mahjong, Chess and Checkers games at a certain point. Mr. Chess & Checkers make sense in Smash? We can go on about things they did in the distant past because it's nice to know where they came from, but at the end of the day, all of us only know (and love) Nintendo for their video games.

Also dude, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. You seem so assured your own creation is going to make Smash 4 - going as far as saying his name will "probably" be this. If Sakurai can make it work without it feeling out of place then all the power to him, but I can't see how a set of cards or a deck containing them will feel like a proper character.

D

Deleted member

Implying that Nintendo's Hanafuda days needs to be represented through a character.
Or their toy days.

The entire concept of a deck of cards as a character, regardless if it has arms and legs or not is just plain stupid. And is never going to happen, so it shouldn't even be discussed in a roster prediction thread.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I listed a moveset before about making his regular attacks card-basedm on the thread, with his special moves and Smash attacks being based on Nintendo toys. I'm sure Hanafuda won't look exactly like it if it appears in some kind of form. But without limbs, it just seems way too awkward.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I'm with Golden here, supporting a fan-made up card deck with limbs for a playable character is like supporting a fan-made robot made up of Nintendo consoles for a playable character. You're very likely of setting yourself up for disappointment if you support things like these. But hey if for any very crazy and derpy reason they do end up playable. Then more power to you I guess...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah I'm with Golden here, supporting a fan-made up card deck with limbs for a playable character is like supporting a fan-made robot made up of Nintendo consoles for a playable character. You're very likely of setting yourself up for disappointment if you support things like these. But hey if for any very crazy and derpy reason they do end up playable. Then more power to you I guess...
It's not fan-made, it's just a possible look. How would you make a deck of cards character move without limbs, it would look strange for a concept. That's the only reason I added limbs. It's basically a deck of cards with limbs, so it can move like any other character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not fan-made, it's just a possible look. How would you make a deck of cards character move without limbs, it would look strange for a concept. That's the only reason I added limbs. It's basically a deck of cards with limbs, so it can move like any other character.
You made the character (put limbs on a hanafuda deck), therefore it's fan made.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So you would make something that began Nintendo and treat it as an item? I would still be jealous that Mr. Game and Watch is still in the game.
Well... Hanafuda cards aren't exactly character material, now are they?

My best idea to make an allusion to Hanafuda would actually be a stage or even a mini-game to unlock stuff such as Trophies and other such collectibles.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really see why it would be an insult if it was an item, stage, assist trophy, trophy, sticker or whatever. At least it would still be represented as a part of Nintendo's history. The Hanafuda Deck feels more like a historical item than something that would suit being a character so I personally wouldn't mind seeing it as a trophy or stage or something.

inb4R.O.B.orwhatevercounterargumentIwillget.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well if you can make a thing into a character and give it some characteristics and some things that fit to the theme, it would work.
Console bot would be a terminator-like character with the ability to shoot various console portable name logos.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well if you can make a thing into a character and give it some characteristics and some things that fit to the theme, it would work.
Except things aren't linear as you think.

Unlike Mr. Hanafuda, Mr. Game & Watch's design is taken from the generic characters in the G&W games and made into a composite character with moves based off the many G&W games.

Your drawing of Mr. Hanafuda is just a deck of cards with MS Paint limbs added. That is lazy and uninspiring design and I doubt Sakurai would do something like that and call it a day.

By that logic, we could have a Maxim Tomato character which would be a Maxim Tomato with legs that shot ketchup at the other characters. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Why don't you find the theme of Mr. Hanafuda behind it, I posted about being a Luxord-like character, so basically its a magician, only the magician is a deck of cards. I could add a magician hat on his head if you still don't realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom