• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He said he didn't like that roster. Of course it's an opinion, but he (and many others, including me) find it straying too far from reality. We're predicting rosters, not making dream rosters.

Marth and Lucas were chosen due to fan demand (in Japan, obviously.)
Roy was for promotion, and the fact that Sakurai liked him when shown by IntSys.
Using retros in this argument is wrong. They're chosen because they aren't well known.
Marth, Roy, and Lucas are not retros. Wolf was another one that really wasn't on many people's pre-Brawl rosters as most had Krystal.

The fact is who knows, Prince Fluff may beat out Bandana Dee in Sakurai's mind or Ninten maybe an exciting character. Isa may have a moveset that fits Smash better than Saki (personally I see Saki > Isa but I am not going to criticize his roster). Same goes for Skull Kid. Look at the demand for a new Majora game. Majora was competing with Ocarina as the BEST ZELDA ever. That to me makes Majora/Skull Kid relevant but apparently not everyone sees that.

In reality, none of us has a clue who is going to be in the game. Some characters are more likely than others granted but who are we to call out another person's roster. Let's just enjoy the ride until the final roster is revealed :).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I see that Rayquaza's appearance as a boss is often overlooked when considering Gen 3's representation in Brawl.
Probably because the way Ray was executed as a boss was terribly out of character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Probably because the way Ray was executed as a boss was terribly out of character.
I always thought they were trying to reference the Monster of Loch Ness with him during that scene in Brawl... Maybe a different pokemon/Nintendo monster would have been better suited though...

But yeah, I suppose Rayquaza was the 3rd gen rep of Brawl. Just not as a playable character...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He said he didn't like that roster. Of course it's an opinion, but he (and many others, including me) find it straying too far from reality. We're predicting rosters, not making dream rosters.

Marth and Lucas were chosen due to fan demand (in Japan, obviously.)
Roy was for promotion, and the fact that Sakurai liked him when shown by IntSys.
Using retros in this argument is wrong. They're chosen because they aren't well known.
To be clear, my roster was not dreamy, it's predicting. My roster was based on recent revivals or recent new characters like Isaac, Isa, Little Mac, and Prince Fluff. I only added Ninten as an obscure character, as a Mother fan. Sakurai could add him as a forgotten hero that needs more attention, same for Mr. Hanafuda, only as an prehistoric rep.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, Mr. Hanafuda and Ninten are still on the dreamy side. And to a lesser extent, Prince Fluff.

D

Deleted member

It could very well be that there was a scene that had to be scrapped where the downed Arwing crossed paths with Rayquaza in the sky, and knocked it down into the water below.
Hence why Rayquaza would attack the Arwing first when it pops out.

Given that there were scenes from the story that had to be cut for time, it wouldn't surprise me if this was such a scene.

As for why Rayquaza is digging underground during the boss fight, that's a mystery....

Maybe for Ninten, but really Mr. Hanafuda is not dreamy, he's suppose to be a pre-historic rep that's suppose to represent Nintendo's begininning.
Is the character essentially made up by you in order to come up with some crazy idea for a historic character? Then it's a ****ing dream character.

Your idea isn't any more likely than my idea for a robot made up of Nintendo consoles and hardware that gives off numerous Nintendo-based references. That is to say, your idea (like my own) has literally non-existent chances.

D

Deleted member

Why do you keep forgetting what Mr. Hanafuda is based off of and the reason why he has magician-like abilities.
"Based off of".
That alone should be reason enough why he's not going to happen. Because you MADE HIM UP.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Add some silly legs and arms to a deck of Hanafuda cards and name him not unlike Mr. Game & Watch.

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It could very well be that there was a scene that had to be scrapped where the downed Arwing crossed paths with Rayquaza in the sky, and knocked it down into the water below.
Hence why Rayquaza would attack the Arwing first when it pops out.

Given that there were scenes from the story that had to be cut for time, it wouldn't surprise me if this was such a scene.
Now why didn't I think of that? That actually makes a lot of sense. Though was Rayquaza flying around those clouds too or was Fox flying in space and dealt with Rayquaza before he went after the Halbert? I guess we will probably never know...

As for why Rayquaza is digging underground during the boss fight, that's a mystery....
He probably bumped into some trainer who was about to teach his dear Digglett "Dig" but got hit by the TM (Or was it HM) and he learned it instead. Ignore this bit I'm just spouting some random bull**** out.

Is the character essentially made up by you in order to come up with some crazy idea for a historic character? Then it's a ****ing dream character.

Your idea isn't any more likely than my idea for a robot made up of Nintendo consoles and hardware that gives off numerous Nintendo-based references. That is to say, your idea (like my own) has literally non-existent chances.
Oh the memories... I really need to kill that awful sketch of mine with fire. :T

D

Deleted member

Let's have Mr. Love Hotel while we're at it. Represent a form of history Nintendo doesn't want us to remember? :troll:

EDIT: @ Kiwi: Oh yeah, I forgot you brought up a similar idea and even made a picture (and thread, lol) for it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
EDIT: @ Kiwi: Oh yeah, I forgot you brought up a similar idea and even made a picture (and thread, lol) for it.
Nah I just made the sketch. It was someone else who made the thread who's name escapes me right now... :T

Ah I remember now. It was Peeup who made the thread. I didn't expect him to actually do it though.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
That is his opinion. I am getting sick and tired of the select few always dumping other character ideas. If you don't agree with their roster then you are an idiot. I would like to see their predictions for Brawl and Melee and see how accurate their roster perdictions where for those games. Who knows, Sakurai may really love Isa, Ninten, and Prince Fluff and may stick them in the game.

I know there is too many third parties but if we had to choose five, that sounds like the most logical five and all of them have reasons behind why they could appear in Smash 4 so I don't think it is that much of a stretch.
Yeah man. Lots of people toss around ideas on this forum as fact when really anything could happen. While I think that a few characters are likely for the game, there aren't any that are sure thing characters. No one like bowser for Melee or wario for brawl. But people seem to think that the world would end if the top characters on this sites popularity poll make it, the world will end. And everyone who has something different reflected on their rosters is bashed to hell. And also cuts are absolutely hated with no other reasoning other than THEY WON'T HAPPEN UR STOOPID. They most likely will. The point of this site should be to be open-minded about the roster not so close minded like everyone is. The reason I am excited for ssb4 is because of the thousands of different potential rosters out there, not the one agreed upon roster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wow... lots of butthurt. I never insulted anyone, yet I'm the one who's being insulted.

Not that I care, but still...

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Kind of out of nowhere, but am i the only one who gets tired of seeing a double standard against snake? I always see people saying that he is more in danger of being cut than sonic, when i think that sakurai would treat both guests equally and either bring them back or cut them both. I dont think the team would have any favoritism of one over the other based on nintendo allegiance or something like that.

I just get tired of seeing that, especially on the troll hole known as gamefaqs where it seems at its worst.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kind of out of nowhere, but am i the only one who gets tired of seeing a double standard against snake? I always see people saying that he is more in danger of being cut than sonic, when i think that sakurai would treat both guests equally and either bring them back or cut them both. I dont think the team would have any favoritism of one over the other based on nintendo allegiance or something like that.

I just get tired of seeing that, especially on the troll hole known as gamefaqs where it seems at its worst.
Yeah I feel sorry for Snake too. I personally much prefer Snake over Sonic and would rather he stays if one of them has to leave but that's just me really. :/ I guess its all up to the owners of these characters if they want to keep their characters or not.

I hope Snake sticks around though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Most people didn't know who Marth, Roy, Lucas, or Ice Climbers were until they appeared in Smash. Bad reasoning.
It isn't really bad reasoning when Saki is clearly more well known that Isa because of Smash.

So what if you're sick and tired of people not liking another person's roster? The point of this thread is to discuss them, so let them discuss.

Also:
1. If I don't agree with their roster i'm an idiot? That doesn't make any sense. By that logic, I could post a roster of 35 different forms of Mario, and someone can't say they don't like it without being labeled an idiot?

2. Arguing a character's inclusion based on hypothetical means is even worse reasoning than what I posted, if that was even that terrible. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that Ninten, Prince Fluff, and Isa are not entirely as likely as several other characters. along with the fact that the number of characters added isn't going to be nearly as large as previous installments, it is even more unlikely.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

I have nothing against snake, but I feel like sonics fan base is much bigger for one thing. I feel like sakurai will take a fresh look at all third party candidates again. I mean him being a veteran will help but he could still get cut over sonic. Sonic getting cut on the other hand would quite possibly start world war three though because those crazy sonic fans are plentiful and god damn annoying. I would feel pretty bad if snake got cut though because he has one of the most unique movesets in all of brawl, if not the most unique.

It isn't really bad reasoning when Saki is clearly more well known that Isa because of Smash.

So what if you're sick and tired of people not liking another person's roster? The point of this thread is to discuss them, so let them discuss.

Also:
1. If I don't agree with their roster i'm an idiot? That doesn't make any sense. By that logic, I could post a roster of 35 different forms of Mario, and someone can't say they don't like it without being labeled an idiot?

2. Arguing a character's inclusion based on hypothetical means is even worse reasoning than what I posted, if that was even that terrible. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that Ninten, Prince Fluff, and Isa are not entirely as likely as several other characters. along with the fact that the number of characters added isn't going to be nearly as large as previous installments, it is even more unlikely.
Just wondering, why do you say that the number of characters added wont be as much? Brawl had 35 characters by cutting five and adding 15. I could easily see at least going up to 45 by ousting a couple characters and adding 12 that's not too much less. But personally I think more than 2 will be cut so it will be around the same amount of new characters. But even if no cuts were made, whose to say the roster won't go up to say 48?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Marth, Roy, and Lucas are not retros. Wolf was another one that really wasn't on many people's pre-Brawl rosters as most had Krystal.

The fact is who knows, Prince Fluff may beat out Bandana Dee in Sakurai's mind or Ninten maybe an exciting character. Isa may have a moveset that fits Smash better than Saki (personally I see Saki > Isa but I am not going to criticize his roster). Same goes for Skull Kid. Look at the demand for a new Majora game. Majora was competing with Ocarina as the BEST ZELDA ever. That to me makes Majora/Skull Kid relevant but apparently not everyone sees that.

In reality, none of us has a clue who is going to be in the game. Some characters are more likely than others granted but who are we to call out another person's roster. Let's just enjoy the ride until the final roster is revealed :).
Just because a character is liked doesn't mean the are relevant.

When I say "relevant" I direct that at "What is Nintendo trying to market right now?" It definitely isn't Skull Kid.

You are a hypocrite. You say that Skull Kid and his game are liked, but they aren't relevant so you are confused. Yet you end by saying that even though Skull Kid could be liked, he still wouldn't be relevant. What?

Just wondering, why do you say that the number of characters added wont be as much? Brawl had 35 characters by cutting five and adding 15. I could easily see at least going up to 45 by ousting a couple characters and adding 12 that's not too much less. But personally I think more than 2 will be cut so it will be around the same amount of new characters. But even if no cuts were made, whose to say the roster won't go up to say 48?
Sakurai has been quoted saying that there will not be as many characters added as there were in previous installments.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well there isn't much to work with otherwise. If he says that, then it should be expected at the very least.

FourStar

Smash Ace
All i know is sakurai might pull a character out of his and be like "guess what *******? didn't see that coming did you now?"

splat

Smash Lord
I think we've been going on about Prince Fluff and Mr. Hanafuda long enough, so I figured I'd go and show my roster, which I think is pretty unbiased:

Transformations are shown in white, and are connected to the ones they transform 'out of'. Pokémon Trainer being the exception of course, as he doesn't fight himself, but is still present in battle.
Characters in blue near the bottom I can easily see take the slot of the character they are connected to. Bowser Jr. and Toad are - in my opinion - exchangeable, both having a somewhat equal chance to make the game (though, as shown in my roster, Toad's is slightly bigger in my views). At this moment, I'd like to swap Goroh and Mach Rider, but we'll see how that turns out.

Oh, and if anyone wonders - I couldn't find any pictures of Chrom, Lucina and Shulk with a comparable style to the rest of the roster. Mach Rider is a slight edit of F-Zero's Phoenix.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, some of the images used are artworks made by other people than me. Roy and Impa, for example, are made by fans, all credit to the original images goes to them.
Any thoughts? I'm willing to explain my choices, if anyone would want me to.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@splat
I like that roster. :)

BTW, what program did you use to make it? It looks really nice.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Just because a character is liked doesn't mean the are relevant.

When I say "relevant" I direct that at "What is Nintendo trying to market right now?" It definitely isn't Skull Kid.

You are a hypocrite. You say that Skull Kid and his game are liked, but they aren't relevant so you are confused. Yet you end by saying that even though Skull Kid could be liked, he still wouldn't be relevant. What?

So let me get this straight, you are in Nintendo marketing and have an idea on what Nintendo is marketing overall. I see.

If you are going on commercials and recent appearances in games then I would say most of the characters you guys are high on (King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Saki, etc.) are not even in the mix. You would have characters like Bowser Jr, Daisy, the Tikis from DKCR, etc. in the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So let me get this straight, you are in Nintendo marketing and have an idea on what Nintendo is marketing overall. I see.

If you are going on commercials and recent appearances in games then I would say most of the characters you guys are high on (King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Saki, etc.) are not even in the mix. You would have characters like Bowser Jr, Daisy, the Tikis from DKCR, etc. in the game.
It doesn't take a genius to understand who they would want to put in the game for advertisement.

They aren't going to advertise something that isn't new and irrelevant over something that IS new and irrelevant.

If a car company is advertising their product, they sure as hell will be showing off the 2013 make of a car rather than the 2003 model. Unless they revive the look of the car in a newer version. That only makes sense. I may not be a marketing member as I never said I was you smartass, but I can kinda get an idea.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It doesn't take a genius to understand who they would want to put in the game for advertisement.

They aren't going to advertise something that isn't new and irrelevant over something that IS new and irrelevant.

If a car company is advertising their product, they sure as hell will be showing off the 2013 make of a car rather than the 2003 model. Unless they revive the look of the car in a newer version. That only makes sense. I may not be a marketing member as I never said I was you smartass, but I can kinda get an idea.
Well if they are planning on doing a Major remake, then I would say Skull Kid would be a proper representative under YOUR LOGIC. Also I would say if Isa was the star character of the next Sin and Punishment, they may emphasis him over Saki.

Honestly, you have no clue what the roster is going to be so trying to bash other people's lists is pretty futile because in my opinion you guys love some characters that are highly likely to not appear as well. I would be shocked if I saw Takamaru, Ghirahim, or Bandana Dee in Smash 4.

Also Sakurai is quoted to have said he adds characters because they are fun and they have good play styles. He has mentioned that some characters in the past (Balloon Fighter) were not able to be added because he could not find a proper moveset for them.

Perhaps Sakurai may want a character in the game because he has a unique and fun moveset. That is the primary reason Ice Climbers made it into Melee.

splat

Smash Lord
Agreed, FalKoopa.

Though I want to point out that Smash is not an elaborated advertisement like a car company would put out. Of course a car company would prefer to show their latest models, but Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's past, present and future.
To keep the car company analogy, look at Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed; a racing game where many of the available cars had their production discontinued way before the launch of that game. Same goes for Smash: sometimes a character is added to remind you of the times that have been - Kid Icarus had a new game because Sakurai supposedly liked Pit's redesign, but the Ice Climbers were added in Melee as a throwback to the NES era and have had no new game since. In essence, Smash is a blend of Nintendo's favorite characters - no matter what period they stem from.

@splat
I like that roster. :)

BTW, what program did you use to make it? It looks really nice.
Thanks! I made it in Photoshop, as you might've guessed :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Let's have Mr. Love Hotel while we're at it. Represent a form of history Nintendo doesn't want us to remember? :troll:

So it's not worth enough for people to find out the first piece of Nintendo history?
I may have made a deck of cards that has unrealistic limbs just to let the character move on it own, but it is a character that represents Nintendo in the beginning. Also Mr. Love Hotel is bad idea (despite the fact is was a joke).

D

Deleted member

@splat: Great roster there. I'd play it.

Just two things. One is why Tingle? He's uncommonly requested and has been kept out of his Zelda franchise due to his hate base. Plus Zelda is not likely to get a rep.

I'm also not sure why Mega Man is left out entirely (not even as a swap-in). I know there's the "Capcom hates Mega Man" argument, but Mega Man is probably the most wanted newcomer for this game, Sakurai has noticed Mega Man's demand ever since pre-Melee and he is an icon. As for Capcom, I'd be surprise if they rejected Mega Man since they've allowed him in cross-overs (Project X for the 3DS and Worlds Collides comic with Mega Man and Sonic).

splat

Smash Lord
I added Tingle because I felt the Zelda universe could do with a fifth rep, because the franchise is so big. The point with the series, though, is that many important characters appear in only one or two games. Skull Kid, Vaati and Ghirahim spring to mind - all pretty cool characters, but I don't see them as representative for the series enough. I didn't want to add another 'Toon' character, either.
This more or less left me with Impa, Epona and Tingle. It's obvious why I didn't put Epona on there - I decided on Tingle because his spin-off games show at least some popularity, with over 300.000 sold games. Also, his weird character would be make for a very different fighting style than anything we've seen so far, I reckon.

As for Megaman, I personally feel three third party characters is more than plenty. If I were to add a fourth slot, It'd be Megaman for the reasons you mentioned. I opted for Pac-man in this case because Namco Bandai is helping out, so adding one of their characters felt more logical to me. In a extended version I made, which includes a list of 30 substitutes I can also see making the cut or be added as DLC, Megaman is on the top row of subs, next to Mach Rider.

FourStar

Smash Ace
If megaman is put in Smash 4, i feel like it would reinvent Megaman just like how Brawl did for Pit and the Kid Icarus series and Melee brought Fire emblem to the US

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well if they are planning on doing a Major remake, then I would say Skull Kid would be a proper representative under YOUR LOGIC. Also I would say if Isa was the star character of the next Sin and Punishment, they may emphasis him over Saki.

Honestly, you have no clue what the roster is going to be so trying to bash other people's lists is pretty futile because in my opinion you guys love some characters that are highly likely to not appear as well. I would be shocked if I saw Takamaru, Ghirahim, or Bandana Dee in Smash 4.

Also Sakurai is quoted to have said he adds characters because they are fun and they have good play styles. He has mentioned that some characters in the past (Balloon Fighter) were not able to be added because he could not find a proper moveset for them.

Perhaps Sakurai may want a character in the game because he has a unique and fun moveset. That is the primary reason Ice Climbers made it into Melee.
After this, i'm not going to reply because this is a stupid argument. I would absolutely label Skull Kid as a possible addition if there was a Majora's Mask remake. However, there hasn't been one announced, and there is nothing pointing towards that either.

We may not know the roster for now, but there are characters that are incredibly likely compared to others, such as Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena etc... While I like Ghirahim, I am not a very vocal supporter, so I honestly have no idea why you keep bringing that up to me.

What Sakurai says is indeed important, but no one but Sakurai can say what he thinks is fun and unique. You think Skull Kid may be interesting, but he may not. Or he may. Who knows?

I wouldn't call it bashing as much as it is criticizing. This thread is for discussion, and that is what we have been doing. If I don't like something on your roster, I will say/ask why it is there. I'm not personally attacking anyone for their choices. I just don't agree.

@splat

The reason I use the car example, is because that is basic marketing. The new product is what a company will want to be advertised. Your argument using Pit and Ice Climbers is good, but they are put in the game for the purpose of being retros. Not every character meets that criteria. This is where my reference to revivals of classic cars, like a Ford Mustang is prevalent.

That would be like putting Wart from Mario Bros. 2 in. That wouldn't make sense to advertise an obscure character from so long ago. This game is about the "Nintendo All-Stars". Would random characters make sense to be along side Mario, Link, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Samus? I don't really think so.

Granted, the pool of characters is beginning to run shallow, but not shallow enough that we have to dig THAT deep.

volbound1700

Smash Master
After this, i'm not going to reply because this is a stupid argument. I would absolutely label Skull Kid as a possible addition if there was a Majora's Mask remake. However, there hasn't been one announced, and there is nothing pointing towards that either.

We may not know the roster for now, but there are characters that are incredibly likely compared to others, such as Ridley, K.Rool, Palutena etc... While I like Ghirahim, I am not a very vocal supporter, so I honestly have no idea why you keep bringing that up to me.

What Sakurai says is indeed important, but no one but Sakurai can say what he thinks is fun and unique. You think Skull Kid may be interesting, but he may not. Or he may. Who knows?

I wouldn't call it bashing as much as it is criticizing. This thread is for discussion, and that is what we have been doing. If I don't like something on your roster, I will say/ask why it is there. I'm not personally attacking anyone for their choices. I just don't agree.
I can live with that and as Fal Koopa stated, let's move on. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom