• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Full Roster​
(Total Characters: 50)​
As much as I support Ridley, Dark Pit and Takamaru... I don't like that roster.

"Mr. Hanafuda" is the biggest flaw. It's not gonna happen.
Cut Pokémon Trainer and Ike, no Mewtwo, no Roy? What.
Too much third parties.
Why Isa instead of Saki? Odd choice.
Third EarthBound rep seems unlikely, so is Prince Fluff.
Lacks King K. Rool.
Zoroark AND N over possible Gen VI rep? Hardly a chance.
I think Balloon Fighter had been rejected by Sakurai before, so I don't think that's a good choice.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Too much third parties.
Lacks King K. Rool.
I think Balloon Fighter had been rejected by Sakurai before, so I don't think that's a good choice.
It's called obscure choices to balance the roster.

Heres something explainable:
Young Link appeared in Melee due having a game on 2000.
Then now we get to the newcomers.
Prince Fluff could appear due to having an appearance only a few years ago.
Ninten is the only Mother hero that hasn't appeared playable in a smash title. (I said it several times).
Isa is the only known rep probably everyone knows globally. (Saki only had his game in Japan, don't say AT as an excuse)
Isaac is technically the only hero that appeared in the majority of the Golden Sun series, one where he was an adult, and one when he was young.
King K. Rool could be questionable due to no major appearances in the Mario series nor the DKC series.
Zoroark and N are badass characters that have potential moveets, unlike the New Gen IV character that could possibly be badass, but potentially not.
Balloon Fighter has appeared minorly, as he had his own attraction in Nintendoland and had his Virtual console release on the Wii U.
And about Mr. Hanafuda, just call it a pre-historic Nintendo rep for now if you prefer. :awesome:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Ninten is the only Mother hero that hasn't appeared playable in a smash title. (I said it several times).
Isa is the only known rep probably everyone knows globally. (Saki only had his game in Japan, don't say AT as an excuse)
Isaac is technically the only hero that appeared in the majority of the Golden Sun series, one where he was an adult, and one when he was young.
King K. Rool could be questionable due to no major appearances in the Mario series nor the DKC series.
Zoroark and N are badass characters that have potential moveets, unlike the New Gen IV character that could possibly be badass, but potentially not.
Balloon Fighter has appeared minorly, as he had his own attraction in Nintendoland and had his Virtual console release on the Wii U.
And about Mr. Hanafuda, just call it a pre-historic Nintendo rep for now if you prefer. :awesome:
I call BS on the K.Rool reasoning. He was the main villain for all 3 of the original DKC games.
Prince Fluff appeared once, and has not been hinted at to return.
Ninten is WAY too simialr to Ness, and isn't even highly requested.
...da fuq is an Isa?
Zoroark and N have missed their chances, and Red will likely not be replaced, as that would be 3 new characters to be developed when they have a new generation on the horizon.
I can't argue Balloon Fighter, and I agree with Isaac.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I call BS on the K.Rool reasoning. He was the main villain for all 3 of the original DKC games.
Prince Fluff appeared once, and has not been hinted at to return.
Ninten is WAY too simialr to Ness, and isn't even highly requested.
...da fuq is an Isa?
Zoroark and N have missed their chances, and Red will likely not be replaced, as that would be 3 new characters to be developed when they have a new generation on the horizon.
I can't argue Balloon Fighter, and I agree with Isaac.
Well you can thank the h*ll that Sakurai made Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard playable, despite at the time, it was all about 4th generation.
Prince Fluff has a chance as a Young Link joke character.
Isa is a Sin & Punishment character. :)
King K. Krool, and then later he didn't appear as the main villain in DKCR. You could call this "Geno's chances".

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The protagonist of Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and Saki's son.

To be fair, I was being sarcastic, as he made the argument that EVERYONE knows who Isa is. Yet before I became a user here, I had no idea who Isa was. So I highly doubt a large amount of people would know who he is either.

Well you can thank the h*ll that Sakurai made Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard playable, despite at the time, it was all about 4th generation.
Prince Fluff has a chance as a Young Link joke character.
Isa is a Sin & Punishment character. :)
King K. Krool, and then later he didn't appear as the main villain in DKCR. You could call this "Geno's chances".
K.Rool is owned by Nintendo. Young Link was included because Sakurai finds it fitting to have two Links playable.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To be fair, I was being sarcastic, as he made the argument that EVERYONE knows who Isa is. Yet before I became a user here, I had no idea who Isa was. So I highly doubt a large amount of people would know who he is either.
I thought S&P2 was released globally? ( I didn't really mean everyone, just the countries that had S&P2)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
>Implying recentness actually means something.

Do you even know what is roster balance actually? I... don't think so.

Where did you see that information? Because I don't think it's true.

Sakurai has stated that the clones were last minute additions and that he always felt important that a younger version of Link was playable in Smash.

Do some research. It doesn't hurt and enhances your knowledge.

Not exactly the best argument you could use, but I'll bite.

Mother is also the less memorable game of the trilogy. There are more relevant characters from the franchise that are more relevant, for example Porky.
And that is if (and a big if, mind you) the Mother/EarthBound series gets a rep.

Saki is not Japan-only, since the original Sin & Punishment was released on the Virtual Console. Do your research.

Also, implying that Japan-only characters don't have a chance, yet we had Marth in Melee and Lucas in Brawl.

That I can agree with, actually.

Once again, sticking to recentness.

The DKC is one of the most recognizable game series, so why wouldn't they expand on its representation in Smash? Smash is celebrating Nintendo's HISTORY, not just recent characters and games. By history, you mean past and present.

By that logic, X character should be in because he or she is badass.

Mewtwo's new form could very well count as a Gen VI rep, given the promotion he's being given.

Still doesn't change the fact that Sakurai isn't very favorable on his inclusion.

I'm not even commenting on this.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So what do you think K. Rools non appearance in DKCR for? And Young Link is a similar situation.
He appeared in Barrel Blast (or whatever it was called) which was not in any way shape or form involving Rare, along with the Mario Spin-Offs, as well as Brawl. He isn't owned by Rare.

I couldn't tell you why he wasn't included, but it isn't because he is owned by Rare, because he isn't.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So what do you think K. Rools non appearance in DKCR for? And Young Link is a similar situation.
Young Link is not in a similar situation to K. Rool. Young Link is a case where they simply altered a character to fit a different medium, and to differentiate him from Link. (By making him the mascot of the Toon games, where classic Link would not fit.)

K. Rool was absent from DKCR likely because Retro didn't want to use him, and wanted to try their hand at making their own (unsuccessful and generaly uninteresting) villains. That's literally the only thing in the way, because the Kremlings are no longer affiliated with Rare and are entirely a Nintendo property. DKCR sold really well because it was a solid platformer, but the villains have been received far less favorably than the Kremlings overall. Retro is also known for only including a few past characters and wanting to try their own thing. (Metroid Prime was the main villain of Prime, not Mother Brain. Etc. Ridley wasn't in Prime 2.)

I don't know who Isa is; even if S&P2 sold globally, that doesn't mean it was well-received, and by the way, Mother 3 was not released globally. Yet we have Lucas. Ninten, and Mother 1 in general are typically unpopular, whereas Earthbound is really the face of the series, as is Ness. Notice that Japan got Mother 2 as a Classic for the Wii U, not Mother 1. That is the difference between Mother and S&P in this regard.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well:

Ninten appearance only in Japan = Saki appearance only in Japan (inb4 he appeared in Brawl)
Ness known globally = Isa known globally
Then, you suggest that Ninten should be playable AND keep ignoring the fact that the original Sin and Punishment (Saki's game) WAS RELEASED OUTSIDE OF JAPAN IN THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

And the fact that Saki appeared in Brawl as an Assist Trophy FAVORS his chances, whether you like it or not. Have you forgotten how the Fire Emblem series managed to be released outside of Japan?

Double standard and bias much, no? How about using your brain and apply consistent logic?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Also, for the record, putting a lot of obscure characters is not a good idea, as that is not the purpose of Smash Bros. The purpose is to bring Nintendo's best characters together to represent the company as a whole.

Characters will not just be put in for the sake of being obscure, besides maybe one. Other than that...no.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I guess Ninten and Prince Fluff aren't a good representation Nintendo as a whole and revolutionary, you got that. That means any other character (like Geno, Fawful, Daisy, Toad, AR Man, and many other obscure choices) with obscurity can't appear as playable characters.
(The two statements above is what I will stick to forever in arguments)
The other characters I guess represents the a step forward for Nintendo.
-Pokemon Black & White
-Golden Sun
-Kid Icarus Uprising

I guess I could add K. Rool and Pokemon Trainer too (Not replacing N). That would make much more sense.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm a BIG Mother fan and is rather not have Ninten. And I think it would be Sakurai making the decision, and I don't think Itoi wants Ninten THAT bad. He's a reasonable dude.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hurt my eyes when I saw BluePikmin's roster. :glare: It just reeks of bias.

At least he didn't add Nester. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention that Itoi has absolutely no say in the roster...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I doubt we will get saki or isa personally. They just aren't big enough. Most people only know saki from being an assist trophy. I mean I think saki has potentiality but there are too many characters that are more deserving of a spot. I bet if the roster was around 60 there would be a spot for saki but not with a roster from 45-50 like I expect. Also his argument for King K would be valid if it weren't for the fact that he is one of the top requested newcomers. I mean I don't take requests to heart that much, but the amount that Ridley little Mac takamaru and king k have been requested it would be an outrage not to add them. Also Ninten is too similar to ness to be in this game if we would get a third mother rep it would likely be a villain like masked man or porky.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Also his argument for King K would be valid if it weren't for the fact that he is one of the top requested newcomers. I mean I don't take requests to heart that much, but the amount that Ridley little Mac takamaru and king k have been requested it would be an outrage not to add them.
To be honest though people have been begging for k rool and others since before melee and theres still no sign that they were even considered or were even close to getting in even with their popularity. It doesnt really make his positioning any better with his recent absence either, hes in the same boat with a number of characters, and id say other than his fan following hes not as high up there as mac or ridley are because they have at least remained constant between brawl and now. Its either now or never for some of these guys

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
To be honest though people have been begging for k rool and others since before melee and theres still no sign that they were even considered or were even close to getting in even with their popularity. It doesnt really make his positioning any better with his recent absence either, hes in the same boat with a number of characters, and id say other than his fan following hes not as high up there as mac or ridley are because they have at least remained constant between brawl and now. Its either now or never for some of these guys
King K Rool is crazily requested even still. Sure he wasn't in DKCR but other then that he's been in quite a few of the donkey kong games before that as well as Mario spin offs. I'd say he's fairly guaranteed a spot in this game as well as being in the next new donkey kong game.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My Dream Roster: (Don't take this too seriously)

Total: 50

Mario Series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Toad

Donkey Kong Country: DK, Diddy/Dixie (Duo character), and K. Rool

Yoshi's Island: Yoshi

Wario Series: Wario and Ashley

Zelda Series: Link, Zelda/Shiek, Tingle, and Ganondorf

Metroid: Samus/ZSS and Ridley

MISC: Shulk, Captain Falcon, Mii, Saki, and Isaac

Retro: Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, ROB, Mach Rider, and Takamaru

Star Fox: Fox, Falco, Wolf

MOTHER: Ness and Lucas

Kirby Series: Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede

Kid Icaurs: Pit and Medusa

Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike, and Anna or an FE Awakening Character (Lucina or Chrom)

Pokemon: Pikachu, Trainer, Jiggz, Mewtwo, and one of the new Pokemon. (Zoroark, Genesect, etc.)

Third party: Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Namco Rep, and Slime

I'm gave up on a "realistic roster" because i'm lazy.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I love how as soon as the new Mewtwo is introduced to the world everyone started dropping Zoroark from their lists....

D

Deleted member

I love how as soon as the new Mewtwo is introduced to the world everyone started dropping Zoroark from their lists....
People have been dropping Zoroark from their prediction ever since E3 2011, but it was Gen 6's confirmation and Mewtwo's confirmation of a new form that finally caused the vast majority of the community to drop Zoroark for good. Most the community now expects just Brawl Pokémon's + Mewtwo and for very good reasons.

FourStar

Smash Ace
People have been dropping Zoroark from their prediction ever since E3 2011, but it was Gen 6's confirmation and Mewtwo's confirmation of a new form that finally caused the vast majority of the community to drop Zoroark for good. Most the community now expects just Brawl Pokémon's + Mewtwo and for very good reasons.
I guess but i still want zoroark hahaha

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
A completely legitimate chance. Or as much of a chance as a Gen VI Pokemon that isn't Newtwo. Heck, a better chance even.

D

Deleted member

A completely legitimate chance. Or as much of a chance as a Gen VI Pokemon that isn't Newtwo. Heck, a better chance even.
In a way, this is true. If it weren't for the fact that Mewtwo is looking to be promoted as a sort of a Gen VI mascot, I'd be more than willing to bet any potential 6th gen rep appearing in the next game. I do, however, feel as Gen 5 will fare better in the content department than Gen 3 did in Brawl (I think Sakurai and the Pokémon Company will try to include a mixture of Gen 5 & Gen 6 contents in the next game to make up for the probable absent of a true newcomer).

D

Deleted member

Kyurem as a boss like Rayquaza seems pretty reasonable. Especially if it appears more than once and goes Black/White Kyurem in a rematch.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I see that Rayquaza's appearance as a boss is often overlooked when considering Gen 3's representation in Brawl.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Too much third parties.
Lacks King K. Rool.

That is his opinion. I am getting sick and tired of the select few always dumping other character ideas. If you don't agree with their roster then you are an idiot. I would like to see their predictions for Brawl and Melee and see how accurate their roster perdictions where for those games. Who knows, Sakurai may really love Isa, Ninten, and Prince Fluff and may stick them in the game.

I know there is too many third parties but if we had to choose five, that sounds like the most logical five and all of them have reasons behind why they could appear in Smash 4 so I don't think it is that much of a stretch.

Most people didn't know who Marth, Roy, Lucas, or Ice Climbers were until they appeared in Smash. Bad reasoning.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If you don't agree with their roster then you are an idiot.
He said he didn't like that roster. Of course it's an opinion, but he (and many others, including me) find it straying too far from reality. We're predicting rosters, not making dream rosters.

Most people didn't know who Marth, Roy, Lucas, or Ice Climbers were until they appeared in Smash. Bad reasoning.
Marth and Lucas were chosen due to fan demand (in Japan, obviously.)
Roy was for promotion, and the fact that Sakurai liked him when shown by IntSys.
Using retros in this argument is wrong. They're chosen because they aren't well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom