• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Here's what I'd see as a realistic, but worse-case scenario 45-character roster. (3 beloved characters are replaced)
I also have a semi/un-realistic 60-character roster that I might post later.

View attachment 802

Also, should these roster pics go in the display thread, or stay here in the discussion thread? I'm a bit confused.

The difference is that Cloud actually has a chance, originating from a video game and all.
once again not realistic at all. first off the original 12 will never get dropped. so jigglypuff will be in the next game regardless. and really? captain syrup? smh.... and saying cloud actually has a chance is like saying master cheif will be in the next game. just please be realistic

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Palutena is not a princess.
She's a nerd.

Takamaru
Takamaru
Takamaru
Takamaru
For the most part Takamaru's the only one I'm interested in, everyone else (including the ones already dismissed by Sakurai) are mostly a passing fancy except for Mr. Peepers who belongs on a Duck Hunt stage not a roster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In the name of Palutena, let me shine some heavenly light on the subject.

Takamaru
Mach Rider
Balloon Fighter
Mr. Peepers Duck Hunt Dog :troll:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
On the topic of retro characters, I'm not sure what Sakurai could possibly yank from his hat this time around. G&W and ROB, as crazy as they seemed, were based on things that impacted Nintendo and are a big part of its history. And they had really interesting movesets. I can't think of anyone that could live up to the other two on either terms. I have a difficult time imagining an interesting moveset for Muddy Mole, Lip, or Balloon Fighter.
I suppose Miis could be the new G&W and R.O.B.

They are pretty important.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Now that I really think about it, it's probably the closest thing we'll get to G&W and ROB this time around. Aww man...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Retro-wise:

The ones I definitely want
Simon Belmont (I guess he's current as well, but I think of him from the original NES Castlevania games)
Dig Dug (Can't get more retro than that unless you throw in Pong)
Rygar (I'm the only one, sigh)
Black Mage

The ones I'd be happy to have
Mach Rider (I like the way we as fans describe him/her, but I still feel odd having a "rider" character that isn't riding)
Takamaru (I'm excited for his character to get fleshed out, but as is he isn't actually much of a character so much as, well, a generic samurai)

D

Deleted member

Despite not being a Nintendo IP, Popeye could easily serve as a "G&W/R.O.B.", given his historical significance to Nintendo.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.

Ew, no. I don't want Miis in Smash at all, and certainly not as a set-in-stone character since they're supposed to be avatars. Having them as anything other than customizable would make no sense. And they're not retro either.

Honestly, I'd rather have the retro reps in SSB4 be Little Mac and Takamaru (those two, Ridley, and K. Rool are the only ones I'd say are shoe-ins). I don't want Sakurai to put so much effort into surprising us that it results in a mediocre character.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac is no longer Retro.
He's had a new Wii title and a WiiWare title since Brawl.

I think we should called them "G&W/R.O.B." reps, since historical reps don't seem to be working.
It's pretty much the same thing.

However, what isn't "working" is the fact you keep treating your own creation as an actual character that Sakurai would go with.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ew, no. I don't want Miis in Smash at all, and certainly not as a set-in-stone character since they're supposed to be avatars. Having them as anything other than customizable would make no sense. And they're not retro either.

Honestly, I'd rather have the retro reps in SSB4 be Little Mac and Takamaru (those two, Ridley, and K. Rool are the only ones I'd say are shoe-ins). I don't want Sakurai to put so much effort into surprising us that it results in a mediocre character.
Who said the historical hardware character had to be Retro?

And Little Mac isn't retro... How many times have I said that?

D

Deleted member

Who said there are specifically "historical hardware characters"?
Certainly not Sakurai.

I still think of him as retro since the Wii game was a remake... and this is the first I've heard of a WiiWare Punch-Out. O_O Are you sure you don't mean VC/eShop rerelease instead?
Doc Louis' Punch-Out.
A Club Nintendo award for Platinum members in 2009 that was a game where you can fight Doc Louis.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still think of him as retro since the Wii game was a remake... and this is the first I've heard of a WiiWare Punch-Out. O_O Are you sure you don't mean VC/eShop rerelease instead?
Punch Out!! for the Wii was not a remake. It was a brand new game!

D

Deleted member

Exactly.
A reboot =/= a remake.
The Wii game is a reboot of the franchise (since well, Mac retired at the end of the NES game just like the new one).

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Punch Out!! for the Wii was not a remake. It was a brand new game!
Debatable. I think of it as a remake since it has the same title, gameplay, and most of the same boxers with different presentation and controls.

I know it feels different enough to most people, which would lead them to consider it a brand new game. That's what makes it such a gray area.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
once again not realistic at all. first off the original 12 will never get dropped. so jigglypuff will be in the next game regardless. and really? captain syrup? smh.... and saying cloud actually has a chance is like saying master cheif will be in the next game. just please be realistic
Well, yeah, I said "worse case scenario" for a reason.
---

The Wario series (moreso Wario Ware) is still going strong for a spinoff and I think it would warrant another slot if there were 45 or 50 characters. Captain Syrup is more of a personal preference to represent the original Wario Land games.
---

I thought he was saying that Cloud originated from a manga or something, like Goku.
Cloud is a popular video-game character, so he has a higher chance than Goku nonetheless.

I guess a full "realistic" roster would only have 40 characters, since I'm taking what Sakurai says about reaching size limits seriously.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Whether Mac is retro or not, he deserves to be playable in SSB4.

I guess a full "realistic" roster would only have 40 characters, since I'm taking what Sakurai says about reaching size limits seriously.
O_O We're not getting that few newcomers. They're trying to sell this game and they know what the fans want. With Namco on board, I think the balancing process will go fast enough to where they can get the roster's amount to about 45.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here is my realistic prediction roster

More Predictions

1. I could easily see another zelda rep due to it being such a huge franchise and getting a new rep every game, I just dont know which one.

2. I could easily see toon link and dr. mario returning if sakurai wishes or he will most likely make them costumes.

3. Mewtwo will transform or always be in that new form.

4. F Zero could easily get a character since they have had only captain falcon for several games but this is also hard to determine.

5. Depending on whether sakurai wants to recognize luigi as his own ip I could foresee the inclusion of king boo (popular or not).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Debatable. I think of it as a remake since it has the same title, gameplay, and most of the same boxers with different presentation and controls.

I know it feels different enough to most people, which would lead them to consider it a brand new game. That's what makes it such a gray area.
It's only debatable if you want to be difficult and restrictive. It was a game designed to be true to the original and show they didn't want to deviate too far from the formula. If it was a remake, they wouldn't have touted it as a new game.

Instead, it would've been something like Wind Waker HD.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

More Predictions

1. I could easily see another zelda rep due to it being such a huge franchise and getting a new rep every game, I just dont know which one.

2. I could easily see toon link and dr. mario returning if sakurai wishes or he will most likely make them costumes.

4. F Zero could easily get a character since they have had only captain falcon for several games but this is also hard to determine.

5. Depending on whether sakurai wants to recognize luigi as his own ip I could foresee the inclusion of king boo (popular or not).
I think you should remove Bowser Jr., seperate Dixie and Diddy and it's fine to me.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I think you should remove Bowser Jr., seperate Dixie and Diddy and it's fine to me.
Diddy and dixie where apart of the forbidden 7 they were originally to be a team I think if dixie gets in (which she probably will) they will go with their original team concept, also the mario brand will always get a new rep and jr. is a core enemy in the mario franchise and very popular to boot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Diddy and dixie where apart of the forbidden 7 they were originally to be a team I think if dixie gets in (which she probably will) they will go with their original team concept, also the mario brand will always get a new rep and jr. is a core enemy in the mario franchise and very popular to boot.
I'm not too sure if Bowser Jr. is even worth the addition, Bowser is enough representation for a villain in Mario.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'm not too sure if Bowser Jr. is even worth the addition, Bowser is enough representation for a villain in Mario.
He would implement some of bowsers moves such as firebreath and some normals, while his recovery would use the clown kart, b over would be like squirtles shell special but more damaging, and b down would change him to shadow mario (who is awesome) who uses several different kind of paint brush attacks and oddly thought out normals since he isnt really mario.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, Bowser Jr. being a villian isn't the only reason for him. He is important to the story of NSMB games as well.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

More Predictions

1. Star Fox has too many slots compared to larger series like Fire Emblem and Kirby. Either keep the existing 3, or replace Falco with Krystal.

2. I'm not sure if Sakurai thinks an Animal Crossing character would be appropriate as a fighter. I'd like Nook, though.

3. I think Diddy & Dixie together was the original plan for Diddy, but since he's by himself, I don't think he should change drastically like that.
I'd say a fourth DK character would be Dixie & Kiddy, instead.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I thought Metaknight was the better side villain.
You're talking about Mario reps. Bringing up a Kirby villain isn't really proving a point other then you think Meta Knight is a cooler villain. (which i will agree with you on)

But don't just left turn the argument like that.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
1. Star Fox has too many slots. Either keep the existing 3, or replace Falco with Krystal.

2. I'm not sure if Sakurai thinks an Animal Crossing character would be appropriate as a fighter. I'd like Nook, though.

3. I think Diddy & Dixie together was the original plan for Diddy, but since he's by himself, I don't think he should change drastically like that.
I'd say a fourth DK character would be Dixie & Kiddy, instead.
A new star fox addition is 50/50 id say, (their franchise has gotten a new character every game so far) im just saying that I predict she makes it. For Tom Nook animal crossing is just too popular and quality of a franchise to no longer be represented in character form imo I think sakurai will correct this. As for diddy/dixie I feel sakurai due to having more time will finish the work he had on those two instead of having to create an entirely new moveset for dixie and kiddy.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Dr. Mario makes more sense as a costume.
Making Toon Link as a costume makes little to no sense, especially considering that hitboxes would have to be drastically changed because they have different body sizes.

Dr. Mario is Mario in a Doctor's outfit. Toon Link is a Link from a different timeline and is a different person. Alternate costumes should be the same character wearing different clothing. Casual Link makes more sense as an alternate costume.

EDIT: In regards to a new Star Fox character
I wouldn't count on it. Star Fox has been pretty much untouched at this point and a new character would be way over representing the franchise. Also removing Falco or Wolf in favor of Krystal would also lash out in fan rage. It's safe to say that we probably won't see any characters removed (Outside of Lucario and Ike, but removing them is also a touchy subject).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Representing both links makes sense (Unless you haven't played Zelda games much) and unlike Melee, they're now very aesthetically different.

Doc makes more sense as a costume. Paper Mario or Shadow Mario with BJ? I can get behind that. Doc? No. He had the same hitboxes as Mario in Melee to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom