• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical Situation:

Lets say we get 4 new retro character choices. Who do you think they should be?

My answer: Sheriff, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, & Mike Jones

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personality means nothing towards chances unless it contributes to the popularity of the character, which it doesn't in Sables case.

And Sable has a better chance than Muddy because Sakurai knows about Sable's game? :facepalm:
Here's a surprise... Sakurai knows about Mole Mania as well. :smirk:
Sable is a perfect little obscure Gameboy rep.
Just check out the review dang it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnTh5CIGlc

It's the reason why I support Sable in the first place.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hypothetical Situation:

Oh man, as much as I'd love to see Mike Jones I doubt it'll ever happen. My bets would be on Takamaru, Muddy Mole, Mach Rider and either Ballon Fighter of Sheriff, I'm not sure which is more likely.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'd go for Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Duck Hunter (the dog), and Mike Jones.
Having Takamaru, a Japan-only character along with Mike, a Western-only character, would be interesting.

Startropics needs representation in Smash in some way. I'm expecting a music track and maybe an Assist Trophy if lucky.

I see Sheriff as being grouped with G&W and R.O.B than being grouped with characters like the Ice Climbers.

Here's a surprise... Sakurai knows about Mole Mania as well. :smirk:
Is that really true or not? I saw that on Mole Mania's page on Hardcore Gaming 101.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Not many of us know this, but what we're doing isn't actually making "predictions" or finding what is "perfect" or establishing probabilities. What everyone is really doing is generalizing trends set by us, speculation at best.

Hypothetical Situation:

I think we all know Paper Boy is actually the best possible retro choice. :)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sable is a perfect little obscure Gameboy rep.
Just check out the review dang it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEnTh5CIGlc

It's the reason why I support Sable in the first place.
So you support Sable for personal opinionated reasons. Therefore, he has a better chance than Muddy. Logic certainly has taken a hit today. :rolleyes:

Hypothetical Situation:

Who should they be? Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sheriff, and Lip imo.

Who would they be? Probably Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sheriff, and Mach Rider.

Who I want them to be? Balloon Fighter, Goku, Lip, and Sukapon. :grin:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is that really true or not? I saw that on Mole Mania's page on Hardcore Gaming 101.
Is it true that Sakurai stated he personally liked Muddy or Mole Mania? I dunno, probably, I don't really have the time or inclination to search right now. Is it true that he stated Muddy would be a good character for Smash? Unlikely. Is it true that he is aware of Muddy? Definitely, he's Sakurai, he knows as much, if not much much more about Nintendo and its games and characters than we do.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So you support Sable for personal opinionated reasons. Therefore, he has a better chance than Muddy. Logic certainly has taken a hit today. :rolleyes:

Who should they be? Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sheriff, and Lip imo.

Who would they be? Probably Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Sheriff, and Mach Rider.

Who I want them to be? Balloon Fighter, Goku, Lip, and Sukapon. :grin:
Watch the play through if you still don't get it. It has a touching story like Earthbound, with gameplay similar to Zelda.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Watch the play through if you still don't get it. It has a touching story like Earthbound, with gameplay similar to Zelda.
The point. That's not it.

I have nothing against Sable's game, but just because you like it doesn't make him a more likely character than Muddy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
IMO, Shulk is the better RPG rep than Isaac.
Great. Except there isn't going to be an "RPG" rep. It's not like Sakurai will prevent a character getting in just because one from the same genre has already been included. :rolleyes:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Heres my view.

Mach Rider = Balloon Fighter = Takamaru > Muddy > Mike = Sable

I'm not going to argue about this either because this is just my opinion and i will stand by it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Stop with the "rep" garbage, it's making you guys look like twits.
You are aware Sakurai choosing a category or a "rep" before actually deciding on a specific character to fit that category has happened before, right? Something like an RPG rep is dumb, sure, but stuff like a "retro rep" or a "FE rep" has existed in Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You are aware Sakurai choosing a category or a "rep" before actually deciding on a specific character to fit that category has happened before, right? Something like an RPG rep is dumb, sure, but stuff like a "retro rep" or a "FE rep" has existed in Smash.

He never stated that he picks characters to fill in some sort of imaginary niche, he simply picks characters people would like and goes with it.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Uh I don't think SNES characters count as retro characters especially when they're third party... Also no one wants Mallow.
hey they should come in a bundle.

How are SMRPG characters retro?
As far as I know, Geno and Mallow are also owned by Square, which could make them third-party.

EDIT: Beat. I love how someone said the exact same thing.
Well they are still retro to me, besides those are the only retro characters I want since little mac is no longer retro.

Nice try but I would rather have just takamaru and balloon fighter :p

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Simply because they are third party doesn't also mean they aren't "retro". Unless you think being third party magically makes you recent somehow.

Edit: Oh, you guys just think that SNES isn't retro. I'm not so sure about that. Retro doesn't imply it has to be the earliest.

Well I was going to put in Mach Rider instead of Mike Jones, but changed at the last second

Regardless the choices of Takamaru, Sheriff, and Balloon Fighter stay

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He never stated that he picks characters to fill in some sort of imaginary niche, he simply picks characters people would like and goes with it.
He was looking for a retro character in Melee, he went through many options before deciding Ice Climbers.

He was looking for a FE character in Brawl but didn't know who to pick so asked IS for suggestions, he liked and agreed with their suggestion, which resulted in Ike.

It doesn't happen often, but there are times he looks to fill a niche before actually finding the character. "Reps" exist, though characters chosen that way likely make up only a small minority.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What I meant was if they were added they wouldn't be seen as retro characters, they would be seen as either third party characters or Mario characters. Also Geno did appear on the GBA if that counts.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
if i could choose any 4 retro characters it would probably be Mach Rider, Lip, Prince Sable and Muddy Mole.

as to who's likely i'd say Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider and i guess Sheriff. im more confident on the other 3 having a good shot than Sheriff.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I just realized I really want to see Palutena playable. Not sure why but I'd be happy to see her inclusion. She has a attractive design, a unique personality, great move set potential, and is fairly important to KI/Nintendo.

She's one of the characters I would literally die if confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom