• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Been playing Mystery Dungeon lately?
Now what makes you say that?

jk Yes I have been. I actually haven't gotten very far in it, sometimes I stop playing a game, then I don't play it again for a long time. Stopped playing Mystery Dungeon shortly after starting, then I started playing recently again, and I must say I'm enjoying it.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Now what makes you say that?

jk Yes I have been. I actually haven't gotten very far in it, sometimes I stop playing a game, then I don't play it again for a long time. Stopped playing Mystery Dungeon shortly after starting, then I started playing recently again, and I must say I'm enjoying it.
Crashboards.

Sorry to go off-topic, but which Mystery Dungeon game is it? Red/Blue Rescue Team or Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky?

Also, it seems weird for Donkey Kong to have four characters, the same number as Mario and Donkey Kong, I mean Pokemon.

----

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Crashboards.

Sorry to go off-topic, but which Mystery Dungeon game is it? Red/Blue Rescue Team or Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky?

Also, it seems weird for Donkey Kong to have four characters, the same number as Mario and Donkey Kong.

----
Explorers of Time.

Though I've said it before, I might as well mention the personality test told me I was a Charmander. Also, despite using Chikorita in these posts along with Charmander, I chose Squirtle as my partner.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Also, it seems weird for Donkey Kong to have four characters, the same number as Mario and Donkey Kong.
I can see how you'd think that, but I think people would get used to that, just as easily as they got used to other, more egregious series misrepresentations, such as Donkey Kong having as many characters as the Ice Climbers, F-Zero, and Game & Watch in Melee, not to mention Star Fox in Brawl being Star Fox in Brawl.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Crashboards.

----
Not really. The Donkey Kong series was huge in the SNES days. And it's returned to prominence with the return of DKC series. DKCR sold really well. Donkey Kong is just as old as Mario.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Here's a roster with what I believe will be the max amount of additions, with no cuts. (WITH NO SHERIFF :awesome:)

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

What is the best part you ask???...no Sheriff
Why include Wonder Red? If he was to be a playable character, why was he not revealed prior to W101's release. He means very little to Nintendo's history, and his game was a complete flop. Put Isaac in his place. Other than that, 9.5/10.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
An amendment to my previous post: I don't think Donkey Kong receiving four characters would be an egregious misrepresentation, quite the opposite, actually. I meant to say that it could be perceived as one due to people not caring about or not having played the series' games.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
An amendment to my previous post: I don't think Donkey Kong receiving four characters would be an egregious misrepresentation, quite the opposite, actually. I meant to say that it could be perceived as one due to people not caring about or not having played the series' games.
If Mario, and/or Zelda, and/or Pokemon got 5 characters each, then I'd be fine with DK receiving four in SSB4, since it's Nintendo's fourth best-selling franchise if I recall correctly.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sheriff deserves it more. Dillon seems like an excuse to have a recent character.
"Deserves"? Bah, what makes the Sheriff such an ideal character? When I look at him, I see probably the most boring character created by Nintendo. Especially because there's nothing worth noting about him, he's a blank slate when it comes to personality and appearance. Nothing screams "unique" about him, and I don't know anybody who would personally want to play as such an obscure random character that nobody really knows about. At least with the other retro characters, they actually have a fanbase and are important to Nintendo's history as the Sheriff just steals the spotlight as being falsely named as "Nintendo's First Character". Nintendo's first actual character should be considered to be Jumpman, as he actually had a name that was not his occupation and an actual unique design with unique characters (Yes it's kinda dumb to think like that, but that's just how I see it).

Ice Climbers were NEVER referenced by the time Melee came out.
Uh, never heard of Animal Crossing? Ice Climber was playable in that game.
IWho said anything about Sheriff being as iconic and recurring as ROB & Mr. Game & Watch? Nobody that's who. He simply fits the criteria in terms of throwbacks to important parts of Nintendo History. And he is an important part of Nintendo History for many reasons
So you're telling me that nobody, not even you says that Sheriff is near the same league as Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B.. But yet despite that, he still fits the same criteria despite not being anywhere near as important or iconic as them?
That's quite the contradiction.
I said he's next in line after ROB & Mr. Game & Watch. It was solely your choice to assume what area/criteria I was referring to. Though it would make you less foolish to attempt to find out.
Heh, if that's the case. Explain to us what makes him next in line then, rather than trying to make yourself feel smarter than the rest of us and expect us to figure it out.
  • No room for DK Jr because Dixie & K. Rool
  • Sheriff represents the Arcade specifically. The current Donkey Kong is different and represents a different series as does the current Mario. Sheriff would represent solely the arcade.
  • Yes, a cartoon character is always more important to Nintendo.
• There is no support for DK Jr., and if there was it's practically non-existant.
• Why do we need an Arcade rep if we already have so many arcade stars? Even Sonic and Mega Man are arcade stars too. It seems rather unnecessary to represent something when everybody else already does that.
• In this case, the cartoon character who lead to the creation to the most well known video game character would be considerably more important to a company than a completely obscure and unknown character from one game that nobody knows of.

Your logic is flawed. You say you agree that Sheriff doesn't compare to G&W and ROB, but you still say he would represent the same thing. So stop contradicting yourself and understand this:
If he can't compare to Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B., he wouldn't be treated as such.

So with that in mind, please stop calling him important because he's honestly anything but that.
Seriously, Golden. A cartoon character that was one of the first games Nintendo made is more important than a recurring Arcade character that was one of the first games Nintendo made? Sheriff is and unimportant part of Nintendo History?
So you say that being recurring doesn't matter for retro characters and you agree that Sheriff has only been in three games but you STILL call him recurring?
Stop. Contradicting. Yourself.
you wouldn't last a second against winston payne

Also, you've got some fan mail too Saturn!
Somebody who may or may not be related to a Deity named Robert said:
I never once said they were based on recency. You, however, made the point that he's often referenced in Nintendo history. I was merely debunking that. You were quite literally making the point that Sheriff was in Mr. Game & Watch's and R.O.B.'s league. Of the many reasons he's an important part of Nintendo history, you've named none aside from being Miyamoto's first character. I'd call you something along the lines of narcissistic or naive for simply assuming I don't know a thing about what I'm getting into, but oh, I guess that'd make me pissy, wouldn't it?

I'm not pissy for finding your support for a character to be unjustified for the reasons (or therefore lack of) you're giving, and I'm not getting any threads locked by doing just that, much to your dismay I'm sure. You haven't sold me on a character I disagree with and I'm exercising my right to poke at the flaws in your support, nothing sacrilegious to the thread like you imply. It's that simple.
(You should probably unblock him too, he's a nice guy if you get to know him.)

When it comes to the Sheriff debate, I will say he would be a good choice to include a classic, historical, character.

Represents the arcade and one of Nintendo's earliest characters.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
When it comes to the Sheriff debate, I will say he would be a good choice to include a classic, historical, character.

Represents the arcade and one of Nintendo's earliest characters.
Sheriff doesn't scream "Historical" to me. If you want a character who is "Historical", go for Diskun or a Hanafuda based character. At least they are a major part of Nintendo's history.

Kind of late to the party there, AEM.
Late or not, I always intend to put my thoughts in a discussion. I read through 9 pages of this thread during 6 hours because switching from homework to this constantly. I'm only like a page late anyways, so it's kinda still relevant.
Here, have a hug.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's what I like to see upon entering the thread. Skip all the debates/flame wars, get right down to the shipping fodder.

Sheriff would be a neat AT. As would King Hippo.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sheriff was one of their original characters though, from the arcade too, that in and of itself seems pretty historical to me.
So was Mario Jumpman and Donkey Kong.
Not to mention all of the Game & Watch characters in the G&W games that were all mixed into Mr. Game & Watch.
He's one of the first alright, but not nearly as notable as the others.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sheriff was one of their original characters though, from the arcade too, that in and of itself seems pretty historical to me.
Sheriff is historical.

Just like the Virtual Boy.

You need more than that to be a character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's what I like to see upon entering the thread. Skip all the debates/flame wars, get right down to the shipping fodder.
Of course, Ariand/AEMxGoldenYuiitusin are the new OTP man!

I wouldn't mind King Hippo as a AT as would be interesting to see what they pull off with him.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sheriff is a blank slate. Dillon and Wild Gunman can feasibly do everything which he can.

And no, Sheriff isn't that important to Nintendo either, not getting a single mention in Melee or Brawl.

Reznor

work in progress
Mario and DK were on early arcade cabinets

if Sheriff was important then his game would have made it on the virtual console

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sheriff is a blank slate. Dillon and Wild Gunman can feasibly do everything which he can.

And no, Sheriff isn't that important to Nintendo either, not getting a single mention in Melee or Brawl.
He was a trophy in Melee.

Sheriff is historical.

Just like the Virtual Boy.

You need more than that to be a character.
And what would said character need, dare I ask?

----

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Exactimundo! There is nothing special about what Sheriff does that can feasibly transfer into a fighting game if all he did was shoot things in eight directions. He just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the cast.
Well...

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
On searching, yes, he did get a trophy. My bad.

So Sakurai did consider him along with the other rejected retro characters. So it puts him on par with other retros.
I wouldn't go that far, but I would say he has a slim hope for Smash. I'd, personally, be happy to see him in, though I'd rather see DHD.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm, I wouldn't say he considered Sheriff as a playable character for Melee just because he ended up as a trophy.

----
No, I meant he was on the list drawn up by Sakurai, which also included Bubbles, Excitebike rider, Balloon Fighter, whom Sakurai rejected due to not having enough to work with.

Reznor

work in progress
No, I meant he was on the list drawn up by Sakurai, which also included Bubbles, Excitebike rider, Balloon Fighter, whom Sakurai rejected due to not having enough to work with.
I was looking for the list but I couldn't find it :(
can you send a link to the list?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was looking for the list but I couldn't find it :(
can you send a link to the list?
The list was only mentioned in passing by Sakurai. All we know is that Bubbles, Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter and Excitebike rider were on the list, but I think that the other retros that got trophies in Melee were also on the list.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The list was only mentioned in passing by Sakurai. All we know is that Bubbles, Urban Champion, Balloon Fighter and Excitebike rider were on the list, but I think that the other retros that got trophies in Melee were also on the list.
Did he go in depth with each of those characters? I seem to recall him stating he rejected Excitebike rider because of jumping animation issues. Were explanations similar to that given for the others?

Reznor

work in progress
the site i'm checking melee trophies might be wrong but I don't see a Little Mac trophy on it
Little Mac was most likely also thought of as a retro rep so I don't think the trophy thing holds up (i'm just assuming things)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Did he go in depth with each of those characters? I seem to recall him stating he rejected Excitebike rider because of jumping animation issues. Were explanations similar to that given for the others?
No, he didn't. He only gave explanations for the aforementioned 4 characters, which I think are kinda lousy.

the site i'm checking melee trophies might be wrong but I don't see a Little Mac trophy on it
Little Mac was most likely also thought of as a retro rep so I don't think the trophy thing holds up (i'm just assuming things)
I believe he did skim over the characters who got trophies, but of course, it is possible for characters to not get trophies as well.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
No, he didn't. He only gave explanations for the aforementioned 4 characters, which I think are kinda lousy.
Erm, I was referring to the other 3 aforementioned characters, and it seems they do have explanations (apparently lousy ones). I shall search for them.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think Sakurai was going for an NES retro character for Melee, if I recall. Sheriff is from the arcade, so he wouldn't be considered.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Is Bubbles that dinosaur that shoots different colored balls to try to connect a lot of them? Or am I thinking of something completely different...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Sakurai was going for an NES retro character for Melee, if I recall. Sheriff is from the arcade, so he wouldn't be considered.
You're right.

Sakurai said that he wanted an NES rep. Not a "retro" or "arcade" rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom