• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
on topic

would you guys be ok if we didn't get a new Mario character this time BUT we got 2 DK characters
If Bowser Jr. were the Mario character, I'd take K. Rool and BJ, because moveset-wise, I'd prefer BJ's paintbrush to Dixie's hair. Otherwise, I'd take K. Rool and Dixie in a heartbeat over any other potential Mario character (with a chance, that is...King Boo is an enticing dream character).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
King Boo would be a fun character in my opinion. He's undoubtably one of my favorite fictional characters. Though, I'd be happy to get him as a boss, possibly a fighter-style boss.

On Bowser Jr., I'd love to play as him. And I don't see why many people think he would likely be a Bowser clone, there are plenty of ways he could easily differ from Bowser moveset-wise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
On Bowser Jr., I'd love to play as him. And I don't see why many people think he would likely be a Bowser clone, there are plenty of ways he could easily differ from Bowser moveset-wise.
Ditto. Bowser Jr. could always be more speed-oriented, and he does have the paintbrush as well.

This is both what I believe is what the roster is definitely going to be made up of (top), and the the potential newcomers to fill in the holes (bottom).

I thought we could group roster this. First thing is first though, are we cool with the current shoe ins? (dixie, mewtwo, chrom, LMac, Pac Man, and Miis)
You're forgetting Yoshi and Wario there.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

This is both what I believe is what the roster is definitely going to be made up of (top), and the the potential newcomers to fill in the holes (bottom).

I thought we could group roster this. First thing is first though, are we cool with the current shoe ins? (dixie, mewtwo, chrom, LMac, Pac Man, and Miis)

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman

You might get some objections from people about Chrom, however I'm perfectly content with that. I can see everyone on that roster making it in.

As for your pool of potentials, the bias in me says Toad. However Palutena I firmly believe is a shoe-in, or at least close to one the only obstacle being Sakurai's "humbleness".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd be hesitant to call any specific character a lock other than Mewtwo or Little Mac; I do consider certain demographics to be locks, however, namely a new retro character, a new heavyweight character (that will likely also be a new villain), and a new sword user.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
on topic

would you guys be ok if we didn't get a new Mario character this time BUT we got 2 DK characters

Yes. In fact, I'd prefer it. Especially if those two newcomers are Dixie and King K. Rool. But its safe to say that it might be kinda unlikely.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
As for your pool of potentials, the bias in me says Toad. However Palutena I firmly believe is a shoe-in, or at least close to one the only obstacle being Sakurai's "humbleness".

With the way IS works, I think Chrom is simply in the game. I don't think that Roy isn't, per se, just I'm definitely not 100% sold on it. Palutena and Ridley were originally in the picture, but I moved them back to the pool just.. because I wasn't as sold on them as I was the other six.

I'd be hesitant to call any specific character a lock other than Mewtwo or Little Mac; I do consider certain demographics to be locks, however, namely a new retro character, a new heavyweight character (that will likely also be a new villain), and a new sword user.
I meant to move Taka back down. Lemme edit the new picture. Everyone else, I stand by pretty firmly though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ditto. Bowser Jr. could always be more speed-oriented, and he does have the paintbrush as well.
I can imagine Jr. being quite fast, more tactial than Bowser. I'd hope for the paintbrush to be a part of his moveset, and this could easily help him be more of a tactical character, like painting the ground to make it slippery, and possibly spawning some of the paint-based monsters from Super Mario Sunshine.

Perhaps his fire could also home on players slowly like in New Super Mario Bros Wii, and set the ground on fire? Him weighing low and his lack of physical strength could be his weakness.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Dr.Mario and no Bandana Dee,what's wrong with you? :c

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Bowser Jr. feels like a flop of a character that Nintendo keeps pushing on Mario fans.

He's a pretty popular character overall. I wouldn't consider him a flop. Even 4chan as a decent Junior fanbase, and they dislike a lot of later addition characters to franchises.

I'll throw on a few more characters to add to the potential pool I guess, since I'm already editing it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well, I guess I should have added, to me he feels like a flop. There already were seven kooplings and they were traded for a miniature Bowser.

In any case, it seems like robots and machines are Bowser Jr.'s method of attack rather than a paintbrush now. Not that they couldn't decide to give him the paintbrush. But I don't see his chances as high.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So 0 Cameos makes you important to Sakurai. But with 3 cameos you don't mean **** to Nintendo.

Popeye: A character that is directly linked to the creation of Nintendo's flagship franchise.
This is a very warped view of what's more important. Considering something important from the view of a company because it inspired 3 Characters which linked to other things unrelated to Popeye the Sailor Man himself (who again isn't a Nintendo Character). You can claim A LOT of things are directly linked to Nintendo's Flagship franchise and guess what: Those things don't mean **** to Sakurai.

Whenever you start writing in CAPS, posting videos and gifs nonstop and start acting childishly over character speculation-
Let me stop you right there. The irony is too much to handle, not you specifically, but I can name many people who are much more guilty of this. Specifically Hotfeet & Golden. I swear I sit here laughing every time you accuse obliviously accuse me of these things out of all people.

I don't just start being a **** out of nowhere, this brings us back to GoldenLotus's post.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Speaking of which I was kind of upset when it was said the Koopalings were not Bowser's kids, and Bowser Jr. was his only child. (despite knowing Bowser Jr. before I knew the Koopalings)

I'm glad all of them are starting to appear together in Mario games now, even though it's not that often they all show up.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Let me stop you right there. The irony is too much to handle, not you specifically, but I can name many people who are much more guilty of this. Specifically Hotfeet & Golden. I swear I sit here laughing every time you accuse obliviously accuse me of these things out of all people.

I don't just start being a **** out of nowhere, this brings us back to GoldenLotus's post.
I think they've posted reaction GIFS and videos, but not nearly as much as you.

You even have videos on your YouTube channel that are uploaded solely for being forum reactions.

----

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh come on. I've been gone for awhile and there are still murmurs of Sheriff? Give it a rest. This conversation is getting nowhere.

So I'm seeing the general consensus here is that we'll be getting a little bit over 10. I think i'm going to guess anywhere from 10-14. Less than Brawl, which is the most amount of additions, but more than the initial debut of Smash Bros which is 12. Is that crazy?

I think my prediction roster is around 48, so i'll see what I have and repost it. I think my last roster was actually 44. Yay for more characters!

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
So I'm seeing the general consensus here is that we'll be getting a little bit over 10. I think i'm going to guess anywhere from 10-14. Less than Brawl, which is the most amount of additions, but more than the initial debut of Smash Bros which is 12. Is that crazy?

I think my prediction roster is around 48, so i'll see what I have and repost it. I think my last roster was actually 44. Yay for more characters!
My prediction is everyone returns from brawl -Snake (34 slots) and it will be increased to 49 slots + random slot (5x10 grid) So 15 characters including Mewtwo :)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
...Why are we talking about Popeye?

Dude, don't worry, he has MUH RECENCY thanks to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. :p (A Game people give too much flak when its ending is freaking bawl-worthy)
That's nice to hear, I think the game's pretty underrated (especially the ending), though I do understand some of the complaints.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Oh come on. I've been gone for awhile and there are still murmurs of Sheriff? Give it a rest. This conversation is getting nowhere.
Only for the reason that the sole supporter of Sheriff won't accept any sort of downside to him being in Smash Bros. as anything less than hilarious. The conversation would either go great places or just outright be done with if said supporter would stop being so naive. Any chance you'd like to simply put an end to this in a way our beloved one-man Sheriff fanbase will not throw a fit over?
Hi guys, long time no see! How are guys...

... are... are you talking about Popeye...?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's a roster with what I believe will be the max amount of additions, with no cuts. (WITH NO SHERIFF :awesome:)

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

What is the best part you ask???...no Sheriff

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Well, if you add Dixie and King K Rool, you would not get any new DK reps for the following Smash games. So why not just add them both. If King K Rool gets added, Dixie would top wishlists for the next Smash, and vice versa. Tbh, Diddy should have been in Melee. The DK franchise and Diddy were at their peak during SNES and N64, so it's weird seeing DK alone in Melee. I mean DK used to be one of N's primary franchises, with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. If Diddy was in Melee, King K. Rool would have most likely been in Brawl, then Dixie in Smash 4.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Here's a roster with what I believe will be the max amount of additions, with no cuts. (WITH NO SHERIFF :awesome:)

All vets stay.
photobuc14 Newcomers

This is a REALLY good roster, personally. It almost looks exactly like mine haha except I have Roy instead of Chrom, but I think both have a great shot. I don't have Wonder Red either, but he's cool too.

Brownie points for Palutena.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

the only objection I have is that Pokemon has more reps than Mario. And as much I love Wonder Red, he doesn't seem too likely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
on topic

Unacceptable. I want both Toad and a Donkey Kong newcomer - either Dixie Kong or King K. Rool will suffice. Though I would be more than happy to have all three.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
On the subject of Wonder Red, that reminds me, a subject I don't think we've discussed before: if there's a character in the game that can be used to promote a new release, is there any conceivable scenario where they wouldn't be shown alongside that game?

It boggles my mind to think that Wonder Red would be in the game as an advertisement to Smash, and yet not advertised around his game's release date when it desperately needed some reason for the public to take interest in it. The only real scenario I could think of is that so many of the game's newcomers are advertisements for games coming soon that showing them all off now would be comparable to Sakurai blowing his load too early.

This is worth discussing, given that it could very well apply to Dixie and Toad in the coming months.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Other than missing Yoshi and Wario, that's fine. At least my main's in, so I'm okay with this roster and it looks good. I personally prefer Lucina over Chrom, but if Chrom makes the roster, I'll live. Sane for Pac-Man. Maybe add Palutena to the shoo-in list as well

Wouldn't Takamaru be close to a heavyweight? If Link, Snake, and surprisely Yoshi are somewhat close to heavyweight, so could Taka

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

Wonder Red would be so cool. But I'm afraid he won't make it. If he wan't announced during the W101 Direct, Japan launch, America launch, or this month, I don't think he is in the game.

This is where my current roster is at (with a few DLC choices). You can go over the main roster as much as you want, the DLC is still under construction a bit (a few of the choices).

Thoughts?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
This is a very warped view of what's more important. Considering something important from the view of a company because it inspired 3 Characters which linked to other things unrelated to Popeye the Sailor Man himself (who again isn't a Nintendo Character). You can claim A LOT of things are directly linked to Nintendo's Flagship franchise and guess what: Those things don't mean **** to Sakurai.
This leads me to ask you 2 questions:

1. Why is Miyamoto's first creation so important to Sakurai while a direct link to Miyamoto's greatest isn't?

2. No matter how you answer question 1, how can you guarantee that that's how Sakurai feels?

I said it was my opinion, and asked you not to enforce yours as fact. Surprisingly, you went ahead to continue enforcing your opinion and even insult mine. You used to be better than this. I'm dissapointed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think Taka would be far closer to Marth in weight, given that he's not carrying around an arsenal of weaponry like Link.

Also, being the Lion King nerd I am, when I saw 'Taka' as an abbreviation, I thought it was a reference to Scar's birth name, which means 'trash' in Swahili.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

I like the roster, but my only complaint is Pokemon getting more reps over Mario. Might as well throw Wonder Red out and put in someone like Bowser Jr. Other than that, I'm pretty sold on this roster

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think Taka would be far closer to Marth in weight, given that he's not carrying around an arsenal of weaponry like Link.

Also, being the Lion King nerd I am, when I saw 'Taka' as an abbreviation, I thought it was a reference to Scar's birth name, which means 'trash' in Swahili.
I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one around here who knows Scar's birth name.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
On the subject of Wonder Red, that reminds me, a subject I don't think we've discussed before: if there's a character in the game that can be used to promote a new release, is there any conceivable scenario where they wouldn't be shown alongside that game?

It boggles my mind to think that Wonder Red would be in the game as an advertisement to Smash, and yet not advertised around his game's release date when it desperately needed some reason for the public to take interest in it. The only real scenario I could think of is that so many of the game's newcomers are advertisements for games coming soon that showing them all off now would be comparable to Sakurai blowing his load too early.

This is worth discussing, given that it could very well apply to Dixie and Toad in the coming months.
why should Wonderful 101 get a character? It hasn't earned its spot on the Smash roster. That game needs to be successful on its own merits, not because of Smash.

Sakurai could have put Olimar in Melee as advertisement when Pikmin was brand new but he didn't. Pikmin became successful and popular on its own merits. Obviously it earned the privilege of having a character in Brawl. The same goes for Animal Crossing (planned for Brawl, added in SSB4) and Wii Fit (brand new pre-Brawl, added in SSB4).

It is partially why I always felt Roy never deserved to be in Melee. He never earned that spot in Melee but let's not turn this into another Fire Emblem war.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
why should Wonderful 101 get a character? It hasn't earned its spot on the Smash roster. That game needs to be successful on its own merits, not because of Smash.

Sakurai could have put Olimar in Melee as advertisement when Pikmin was brand new but he didn't. Pikmin became successful and popular on its own merits. Obviously it earned the privilege of having a character in Brawl. The same goes for Animal Crossing (planned for Brawl, added in SSB4) and Wii Fit (brand new pre-Brawl, added in SSB4).

It is partially why I always felt Roy never deserved to be in Melee. He never earned that spot in Melee but let's not turn this into another Fire Emblem war.
I agree with you on all points (except the Roy bit, on which I am neutral). There's literally no evaluation of Wonder Red as a candidate, it's just "He's in a new game, he's very likely to get into Smash." Granted, he seems to have some unique potential for mechanics, but that's secondary to most users. Still, that's not what I'm evaluating; I'm saying, if Wonder Red were to get in the game as a cheap advertisement, is there any reason he would not be revealed at by far the most obvious opportunity to use him as a cheap advertisement?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

All vets stay.

14 Newcomers

Ridley
Dixie Kong
K.Rool
Palutena
Little Mac
Takamaru
Shulk
Pac-Man
Chrom
Mewtwo
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Mega Man
Wonder Red

Best roster I've seen.

My only objections are Pac-man and Wonder Red. I don't find them that likely (particularly Wonder Red) but I would like to see Wionder Red in Smash. The inclusion of Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Palutena, Little Mac and Mewtwo is what mostly helps along with the lack of cuts. I'm also glad you kept Jigglypuff.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Best roster I've seen.

My only objections are Pac-man and Wonder Red. I don't find them that likely (particularly Wonder Red) but I would like to see Wionder Red in Smash. The inclusion of Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Palutena, Little Mac and Mewtwo is what mostly helps along with the lack of cuts. I'm also glad you kept Jigglypuff.
Been playing Mystery Dungeon lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom