• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I used to have him, but I don't think he's too likely anymore.
I don't see why

It's not necessary,but it's the smartest move and DK will be done representing for the time being. I don't see what other one's your talking about because you can add extra representation to alot of the franchises and still have 4 DK characters.
You CAN, but then there is less room if you want to keep veterans and new franchises

DK needs more representation than most other franchises.
It's one of Nintendo's major franchises and it's rather insulting that it only recently got a 2nd character.
Needs??? No.

Sheriff, Harry,or a Hanafuda characters are the only good choices after G&W and R.O.B.
Harry is not an iconic or referenced part of Nintendo History. He represents a part of Nintendo's history that needs to be forgotten. And why is Hanafuda even a thing? It's probably the dumbest idea for character to ever exist, nor does it have anything to do with the company "Nintendo" currently is and it has NOTHING to do with video games.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Don't be silly, Mario needs Dry Bowser and Mother needs Ninten before bottom-of-the-barrel guys like Third Donkey Kong Rep.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
DK needs more representation than most other franchises.
It's one of Nintendo's major franchises and it's rather insulting that it only recently got a 2nd character.
It's suggested that, during that time, there were some complications regarding to using Donkey Kong characters redesigned/created by Rareware. I have absolutely nothing to legitimize this statement, but judging by some prototype stuff from the likes of Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, there is implications that even using the redesigned DK was a tad of a complication in itself.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Wii Fit Trainer is our WTF character this time. Character nobody saw coming, and is in a way a "hardware character". Sheriff I think would be more of a retro character myself. But I could be wrong.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Don't be silly, Mario needs Dry Bowser and Mother needs Ninten before bottom-of-the-barrel guys like Third Donkey Kong Rep.
We are talking about 4 Donkey Kong reps. And I don't consider those incredibly problematic characters as you're sarcasm implies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We are talking about 4 Donkey Kong reps. And I don't consider those incredibly problematic characters as you're sarcasm implies.
Sorry, I thought K. Rool and Dixie were interchangeable anyway.

A former Rare employee (sourced in some old DKVine thread, so it ought to be taken with a grain of salt) claimed that Rare designed far more content for Melee than actually made it into the game, namely trophies, so there's credence to what Xenoblaze is saying. Poor Diddy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Wii Fit Trainer is our WTF character this time. Character nobody saw coming, and is in a way a "hardware character". Sheriff I think would be more of a retro character myself. But I could be wrong.
There's not a limit of WTF characters. And Sheriff is retro in the same way that Mr. Game & Watch is. And what defines a WTF character? Just a non-requested character?

As with Sheriff, I didn't see much going for him.
Why? He's a commonly referenced and important part of Nintendo History like Mr. Game & Watch.

Well then, which DK rep would you want more: Dixie Kong or King K. Rool?
WANT? uhhhh.........I GUESS Dixie?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You CAN, but then there is less room if you want to keep veterans and new franchises
There'd be less room to keep veterans and new franchises regardless if one added them both or not. I smell the usual Noah bias.
Why? He's a commonly referenced and important part of Nintendo History like Mr. Game & Watch.
When? When do you ever see Sheriff, Noah? I've only seen him in the original WarioWare, Inc. Nowhere else.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

My roster is a no-cut roster, I have a good amount of Miscellaneous characters and 4 DK characters so it's not that bad.
Here's my roster btw.
I'd be content if this was the final roster. 4 FE characters could be a bit of a stretch, but it's plausible, being a franchise with countless amounts of characters.

I like the idea of Vaati, regardless of how likely he is. And... that's really it.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

My roster is a no-cut roster, I have a good amount of Miscellaneous characters and 4 DK characters so it's not that bad.
Here's my roster btw.
im not really sold on the idea of Shulk, Vaati or Robin. but overall id be pretty happy with this roster.

D

Deleted member

How so? Seriously, what makes you say that?
-The Game & Watch was Nintendo's first gaming success and was a long, notable part of Nintendo's history.
-R.O.B. was the Trojan Horse that saved video games in the Western market during the Crash of '83.

Both are "revived" through various means as time goes on (G&W games continuously get rereleased on handheld systems, R.O.B. makes numerous cameos throughout Nintendo's series, etc.)

Sheriff? Complete lack of notability for Nintendo other than the thought that he is Nintendo's first actual "character", but the first "character" was really among a set of horse jockeys or race car drivers in EVR Race (the game Nintendo claims was their first) depending on which tapes were used. And then baseball players in EVR Baseball.
Also doesn't appear that often if at all in other games, with the only notable reference in the past decade being the remake Wario's Sheriff in the first WarioWare back in 2003.

So no, Sheriff cannot be compared to G&W and R.O.B. at all. No one really can.

Reznor

work in progress
wait people are serious about Sheriff for Smash 4? (I thought it was some joke thing like Reggie for Smash)
I think there are a few other Retro characters that make more sense

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Here's my roster btw.
I think this is a solid roster because it doesn't go out of its way to exclude popular characters just for the sake of standing out and getting attention, and yet still covers a sizable expanse of Nintendo history, new and old. I question whether Sakurai will add a second shock character beyond WFT, as well as potentially Mii or Pacman, but believe me, I'm more than happy seeing guys like Vaati in their stead.

xXBlazeMonkeyXx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xXBlazeMonkeyXx
Here's the problem, BlazeMonkey. You can't say that a rule applies for one thing, but not the other and then claim there are rules that contradict other rules. You say that Olimar didn't get replaced by Alph because Olimar is a veteran. Then you turn around and say Ike & Lucario will get replaced regardless that they are veterans!?!? Where the living **** is the logic in that? You also go around saying that only the most recent Nintendo History matters to Sakurai (which is bull ****) UNLESS they are retro or unless they are veteran! Now you are declaring a rule and yet declaring your own exceptions to that rule which you are not qualified to do. That's like saying "Sakurai picks the most iconic Pokemon, Oh, but this one's a longer veteran so it doesn't matter" or "This ones a starter so it doesn't matter". You don't get to decide that.

- "Sakurai picks the most iconic Pokemon" if Pokemon does get a 5th rep it should be Zoroark or Genesect so they can represent the 5 generation Pokemon, their no reason bring back Lucario because we are not representing the 4 generation Pokemon.

- You also go around saying that only the most recent Nintendo History matters to Sakurai (which is bull ****) UNLESS they are retro or unless they are veteran! why are you cussing..... but anyways Sakurai said himself that SSB4 going be base off Wii/Wiiu/3DS/DS, unless it's a retro character's

- You say that Olimar didn't get replaced by Alph because Olimar is a veteran. it's true Olimar it a veteran, but Alph fell like a one time character, (Isaac maybe was the starred of two big Golden Sun games on the GBA, but his son Matthew is the future of Golden Sun Series)

- Then you turn around and say Ike & Lucario will get replaced regardless that they are veterans their is a possible that Ike will return if Sakurai give "Fire Emblem 3 reps" but it should be Lucina or Chrom to represent the recent fire emblem awaking game. (plus 3ds also got a fire emblem awaking stage)

- You don't get to decide that. Occurs i don't im not sakurai!!!!! xD
3DS Roster.png
is my roster that bad for you get so mad.... :happysheep:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
wait people are serious about Sheriff for Smash 4? (I thought it was some joke thing like Reggie for Smash)
I think it's more in-line with WTF characters, which we already have Wii Fit Trainer. Of course, I'd personally prefer Sukapon.

By the way, congratulations on 1000 posts! :)

D

Deleted member

It's suggested that, during that time, there were some complications regarding to using Donkey Kong characters redesigned/created by Rareware. I have absolutely nothing to legitimize this statement, but judging by some prototype stuff from the likes of Mario Party and Mario Kart 64, there is implications that even using the redesigned DK was a tad of a complication in itself.
Ah, that's understandable.
Though at the same time, when deciding on clones for Melee, Sakurai could've gone with DK Jr. since he was still around at the time and wouldn't have had complications in regards to Rare...
So it still is rather insulting to me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What would be your reaction if Balloon Fighter makes it into Smash Bros. 4?
That really depends on how he is done in Smash... if he does have an interesting moveset like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer do, I would be more accepting of him, you know?

But then again, Sakurai gave Villager the only thing that made Balloon Fighter unique... and now he has nothing. Sakurai even said Balloon Fighter would be useless without his balloons. Villager has his balloons so what does Balloon Fighter have to offer now?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I have to side with Golden; other than the fact that they're all retro, there's nothing in common with them. G&W was the first huge success, and ROB pretty much saved video gaming. They're kinda in a class of their own.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I think this is a solid roster because it doesn't go out of its way to exclude popular characters just for the sake of standing out and getting attention, and yet still covers a sizable expanse of Nintendo history, new and old. I question whether Sakurai will add a second shock character beyond WFT, as well as potentially Mii or Pacman, but believe me, I'm more than happy seeing guys like Vaati in their stead.
I have a 2nd shock character? Well, you know more about my roster than I do.

Reznor

work in progress
I think it's more in-line with WTF characters, which we already have Wii Fit Trainer. Of course, I'd personally prefer Sukapon.

By the way, congratulations on 1000 posts! :)
hellz ya 1000

I think we can get a better WTF character

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
@xXBlazeMonkeyXx:
I'm so sorry to get into this, but your grammar is horrendous.

I'm sorry, but when you're on a forum, people would eat you alive for this type of stuff.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have a 2nd shock character? Well, you know more about my roster than I do.
No, I meant that your roster doesn't have another one, and I'm unsure whether there will be another one in the actual roster. I figure it's a crapshoot if you're making a roster prediction anyway, given that you're not supposed to be able to guess them, and when people try predicting them, they mainly choose unimportant guys like that 3DS Shop NPC Golden refused to add to his speculation thread a while back. :chuckle:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
No, I meant that your roster doesn't have another one, and I'm unsure whether there will be another one in the actual roster. I figure it's a crapshoot if you're making a roster prediction anyway, given that you're not supposed to be able to guess them, and when people try predicting them, they mainly choose unimportant guys like that 3DS Shop NPC Golden refused to add to his speculation thread a while back. :chuckle:
Oh. That's why I never had a WTF character before the SSB4 E3 trailer, because then it's no longer a WTF character and it's rather pointless to think of one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ah, that's understandable.
Though at the same time, when deciding on clones for Melee, Sakurai could've gone with DK Jr. since he was still around at the time and wouldn't have had complications in regards to Rare...
So it still is rather insulting to me.
I really like Donkey Kong Jr.... I loved to play as him in Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis... and I liked playing the arcade game on the NES... I had Donkey Kong Classics when I was a kid. I would have liked Donkey Kong Jr. in Melee too... hell, I wouldn't even mind if he got replaced with Diddy Kong in Brawl... because at least Donkey Kong Jr. was already playable in Melee and I could always go back to play Melee when Brawl and SSB4 are out. But too little too late now...

Like the Duck Hunt Dog? :cool:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'm so sorry to get into this, but your grammar is horrendous.

I'm sorry, but when you're on a forum, people would eat you alive for this type of stuff.

Edit: This was to xXBlazeMonkeyXx. Sorry, I can't quote him.
Thank you for being the one to say that...you saved us all the trouble. Sorry xXBlazeMonkeyXx, we don't hate you or anything, we just wanted to let you know.

Like the Duck Hunt Dog? :cool:
I'm sorry to say this but...I feel like Duck Hunt Dog is like the Tingle of retro characters...sure he's a good choice, but he's one of the most hated characters in videogame history. To be honest, if anything, people would want him in to beat the crap out of him.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
-The Game & Watch was Nintendo's first gaming success and was a long, notable part of Nintendo's history.
-R.O.B. was the Trojan Horse that saved video games in the Western market during the Crash of '83.

Both are "revived" through various means as time goes on (G&W games continuously get rereleased on handheld systems, R.O.B. makes numerous cameos throughout Nintendo's series, etc.)

Sheriff? Complete lack of notability for Nintendo other than the thought that he is Nintendo's first actual "character", but the first "character" was really among a set of horse jockeys or race car drivers in EVR Race (the game Nintendo claims was their first) depending on which tapes were used. And then baseball players in EVR Baseball.
Also doesn't appear that often if at all in other games, with the only notable reference in the past decade being the remake Wario's Sheriff in the first WarioWare back in 2003.

So no, Sheriff cannot be compared to G&W and R.O.B. at all. No one really can.
Yes, complete lack of notability. That must be why he's always revived in some way. Whether it's a Wario Ware Mini Game (or actual part of the game) or the credits in the Gameboy Camera he seems to always be referenced. He's also an arcade title which is quite a merit in the way Sakurai wanted an NES character for Melee. This is an important part of their history however you want to look at it and it's certainly not an obscure one. You seem to be saying that because Game & Watch had a little more that anything less couldn't ever be added alongside him. Sheriff still fits the similar historical merits even if it wasn't AS remembered by the players. It' still remembered, acknowledged, and referenced by Nintendo.

And even then he shares merits with other characters beside them. I'm saying his criteria is similar and that he's a throwback character just like ROB & Mr. Game & Watch.

He's not really a retro character in the sense that I think you are implying.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think Duck Hunt Dog is really that hated... he is more like a character people "love to hate".

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm sorry to say this but...I feel like Duck Hunt Dog is like the Tingle of retro characters...sure he's a good choice, but he's one of the most hated characters in videogame history. To be honest, if anything, people would want him in to beat the crap out of him.
This is literally how I feel about hand full of retros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom