• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So what about Lip as a potential retro rep instead?

Edit: If I had to pick a new Wario rep it would be Captain Syrup too. Wario does a good enough job of showcasing Warioware's quirky, bizarre sense of humour.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hmm... I say the chances of another Wario rep are in between 10-15%.

Sakurai could shock us, though, which I am hoping (damn you Ashley obsession!).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't think the Wario series will get a newcomer.

I don't expect the Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero and Yoshi series to get one either. With Toon Link in the game, I also have my doubts regarding a new Zelda newcomer.

The series I think as likely to get a newcomer are Donkey Kong (King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong), Kid Icarus (Palutena) and Metroid (Ridley). In fact, I think we will get more newcomers from new series than from series already with characters.

New series we may see this time could be Punch-Out!! (Little Mac), Golden Sun (Isaac), Murasame Castle (Takamaru) and Xenoblade (Shulk).

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys, I'm sorry for bringing it up, but what do you think the chances are to see a Wario newcomer? Not who you think is likely, just the chance of there actually being a new character?

In fact, for any franchise?
I actually don't think the WarioWare franchise is going to get a newcomer. In short, the casual players still view characters like Wario and Yoshi as Mario characters, even if they acknowledge the presence of their spin-off series. I honestly think they made WarioWare a thing to include more Mario characters without upsetting the balance of the roster too much. I doubt they would divulge in more playable characters in WarioWare or Yoshi for that matter.

I think Kid Icarus is worthy of 2 new reps. However, Sakurai's modesty will probably only leave us with one rep.

Donkey Kong could be getting 2 reps. I don't see the relevance in the either or fallacy that people advocate and perpetuate.

Pokemon will probably have the BIG 5. Possibly a cut to Pokemon Trainer.

Zelda will probably be the same as in Brawl. I wish Tingle were playable. I just don't see it happening.

Ice Climbers/G & W/ R.O.B will most likely return without any additional reps.

Fire Emblem... yeah... not going to talk about that one. Just kidding. Marth, Ike, and Roy baby!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think, if a Wario newcomer were to be added, it would be because they had merit as a character, not because they were a Wario newcomer. That being said, I don't believe any Wario newcomer has a chance.

I believe we are guaranteed a character from the Donkey Kong series, and we have a great chance of getting a character from Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem. Mario is a toss-up. Newcomers from Zelda, Kirby, F-Zero and Pokemon have small chances of appearing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Watch Sakurai troll us by adding a second Wario rep who is Overalls Wario. He's the Wario Land version of Wario with the hats from Wario Land 1 and the transformations from Wario Land 3. :troll:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'm a Chrom fan, and I stood up for him... like 5 or 6 pages back maybe? You can't categorize all people into one group when that's not entirely true.
I didn't realize you represented the majority of Chrom fans.
Your anecdotal example sure showed him!

Also, I don't recall Chrono ever saying that every single Chrom fan acted like that.

When a group of people is criticized, people get all defensive and start bringing out a straw man, assuming that the person was criticizing every individual member of that group.
And then one person gives out an individual example about he/she's "not like that" and acts like that somehow disproves something.

----

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Donkey Kong could be getting 2 reps. I don't see the relevance in the either or fallacy that people advocate and perpetuate.

You brought up something I'm in full agreement with. K. Rool and Dixie are quite possibly the least interchangeable characters you could add to a roster, and people only consider them as such because of the stupid 'reps' concept. One is a heavyweight fan-favorite series villain who's been wanted for years and has a high likelihood of receiving an original moveset, one is a slightly more contemporary on-and-off lightweight tritagonist with a smaller collection of fans, Brawl data as a psuedo-Nana and a high likelihood of receiving a Luigified moveset. If people decide on one or the other for their roster, I wish they would stand behind their choice instead of trying to take the easy way out by claiming neither brings anything to the roster unique from the other.

I feel the same way about, say, Mario newcomers, except not as strongly, given that it's more of a choice between a second Mario and a miniaturized Bowser at this point. Same with Roy and Chrom.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I didn't realize you represented the majority of Chrom fans.
Your anecdotal example sure showed him!

Also, I don't recall Chrono ever saying that every single Chrom fan acted like that.

When a group of people is criticized, people get all defensive and start bringing out a straw man, assuming that the person was criticizing every individual member of that group.
And then one person gives out an individual example about he/she's "not like that" and acts like that somehow disproves something.

----
There was no reason to bring this up at all. But I just gave my two-cents worth on the subject, I did not get defensive. I may have misread something and if I did, I'm sorry.

EDIT: I would love to see K. Rool and Dixie, but if I had to choose it would be K. Rool. There is definitely enough spots for the both of them, and I think most people would be satisfied and wouldn't consider it a "waste of a spot", but there's always a select few people that will complain about any character getting in.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
There was no reason to bring this up at all. But I just gave my two-cents worth on the subject, I did not get defensive. I may have misread something and if I did, I'm sorry.

EDIT: I would love to see K. Rool and Dixie, but if I had to choose it would be K. Rool. There is definitely enough spots for the both of them, and I think most people would be satisfied and wouldn't consider it a "waste of a spot", but there's always a select few people that will complain about any character getting in.
It wasn't meant as a personal attack; It was towards people in general who use that argument.

If Dixie got in, part of me wants her to be paired up with Kiddy, kinda like how Sakural originally planned for Diddy and Dixie to be paired up. (not like the ice climbers, but like how they are teamed up in the original DKC games) Kiddy isn't that notable, but still...it would make Dixie seem like less of a clone or semi-clone.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong is much more of a "Donkey Kong" character than a "Mario" character, if that makes sense. He has plenty of games and spin-offs to be able to get two newcomers without complaint, his series is strong alone, without the help of the Mario franchise.

Wario, on the other hand, isn't in the same boat. He is considered his own franchise, according to Smash, and while he does have his own games, he is mostly associated with Mario and Friends. I mean, sure you could add a "Wario" newcomer, but I feel neither of his Ware or Land franchises are strong enough, and have a popular enough character to gain a spot.

So yes, 2 Donkey Kong characters are pretty reasonable, and I think it's a big enough stand alone franchise to get 2 without much of an issue!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I've just realized I just missed another pointless Fire Emblem bickering. Nothing of value is lost.

My opinion on the subject? Doomed to fail utilizing it's fullest potential and I ****ing hate every single one of you for pushing for mediocrity. Sales and demographics be damned.

xXBlazeMonkeyXx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xXBlazeMonkeyXx
no comment

i'm not a big fan of the golden sun series, but i think Matthew is a better choice then isaac.

- matthew is the most recent golden sun hero.

- it also seem like sakurai going select new character that came after brawl and before ssb4 (unless it's a retro character)

Then why did we get Wind Waker Link instead of Spirit Tracks Link? And Olimar instead of Alph?

- sakurai did the same thing with the mother/earthbound series back in smash bro 64. (why did sakurai choose ness over ninten because at the time when n64 ssb was in development, earthbound/mother 2 was the most recent game in the series)

- what i'm saying is this, sakurai going to select character that appear after brawl and before ssb4 (unless it's a retro character), i didn't say veteran
character going get replace by newer character, (unless it's ike or lucario).

Reznor

work in progress
I'm thinking someone from the original title with a strong design has the best chance.
every time I talk about Wario Ware there are always people who talk about how Ashley is the most popular Wario Ware character (by far)

I would prefer Mona to Jimmy or Ashley

xXBlazeMonkeyXx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xXBlazeMonkeyXx
what a
I don't think the Wario series will get a newcomer.

I don't expect the Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero and Yoshi series to get one either. With Toon Link in the game, I also have my doubts regarding a new Zelda newcomer.

The series I think as likely to get a newcomer are Donkey Kong (King K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong), Kid Icarus (Palutena) and Metroid (Ridley). In fact, I think we will get more newcomers from new series than from series already with characters.

New series we may see this time could be Punch-Out!! (Little Mac), Golden Sun (Isaac), Murasame Castle (Takamaru) and Xenoblade (Shulk).
-what about Panel Del Pon (Lip), Sin & Punishminet (Isa Jo), Golden Sun (Matthew), Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo), and The Legendary Starfy (Stafy)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If there had to be another Sonic Rep, who would you want?

While I'm not the biggest fan of the Sonic series, if they do add another rep it should be either Tails or Eggman. Seeing as how they are the most important next to Sonic himself.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
every time I talk about Wario Ware there are always people who talk about how Ashley is the most popular Wario Ware character (by far)

I would prefer Mona to Jimmy or Ashley
Mona's my preference.

I don't factor popularity too much when it comes to most decisions. Popular by what measure of what community. Ashley's popularity isn't big enough to convince me that she would outrank those senior to her in the series. Mona and Jimmy have iconic designs for the series. Mona's initial design fits perfectly with Wario's SSB design. Not to mention I don't think they would pair up Wario with a younger character from his series. It's just a look thing for me.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
xXBlazeMonkeyXx said:
what a​
-what about Panel Del Pon (Lip), Sin & Punishminet (Isa Jo), Golden Sun (Matthew), Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo), and The Legendary Starfy (Stafy)
other thread plugs:
Lip
On Matthew vs Isaac from awhile back:​
Generally, Smash reflects the previous video game generation in representation and stages. The Zelda series is the best example of this. Melee had touches of OoT all over it, with all Zelda reps reflecting OoT, and Termina Bay showcasing MM. Brawl had both WW and TP strongly represented, with its stages, and representatives. Wii U has both TP and SS (remember, TP was a Wii Launch title). The 3DS has OoT and ST.​
With that in mind, it's reasonable that GS would be represented by DD in its character. Has this ever happened before though? The first hero in a generational series not being repped and picked over another hero from another generation? Yes, it happened with the N64 with Ness getting in over Ninten. Remember, 64 was intended to be only for Japan, so Japan only status wouldn't matter.​
But Isaac is more well known to Smash Players as an AT? Yeah, I generally don't buy that for a few reasons. First of all, Isaac did not beat out Matthew as a rep. Matthew didn't exist yet. So it's a different situation than AT's like Waluigi and Lyn. Secondly, we apply the AT boost separately by characters and series. AT status doesn't help Samurai Goroh, Devil, and Knuckle Joe as much as it helps Isaac. I have yet to see an AT appearance help a character make it in. I can understand an AT appearance helping a character's chance when he/she beat other characters (examples being Waluigi and Lyn), but I don't see it aiding them against newly created characters (as Lyn doesn't beat out Chrom in most people's eyes).​
Isaac is more requested but popularity is not the be all end all. I think popularity gets you to door, but popularity doesn't put you over other characters. Sakurai picks whoever he wants. Should GS get another release, Matthew stands to be a better rep for the series' future. And should Sakurai consult second party developer Camelot (as he does with other series like FE), it's very possible they would recommend Matthew, as they have hinted that Matthew's saga is the real story of the Golden Sun series.​

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
While I'm not the biggest fan of the Sonic series, if they do add another rep it should be either Tails or Eggman. Seeing as how they are the most important next to Sonic himself.
This is probably what the majority of people think. If there ever will be 2 Sonic characters, it would be between Tails, Eggman/Robotnik and maybe Knuckles too.

But most (including me) think just Sonic works fine. He brings enough to the table by himself, and only he is the popular one amongst his friends.

(No Big the Cat, seriously...)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Heres a new interesting question for you guys, how would you feel about a 2nd Animal Crossing rep?
recent debates have helped me to realize how awesome Tom Nook is. And how evil he is. I am a fan of the Tom Nook sees the letter theory.

And what can another AC rep that the Villager can't do?
Put you in severe debt!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Second Animal Crossing Rep sounds like a good character to me, too. I might just main Second Animal Crossing Rep because I adore the character and my experiences with him/her/it. I wonder what sort of playstyle Second Animal Crossing Rep has in store for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom