• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Really? You think Charizard is more detailed than Ridley. Just no. NO. They don't even need to scale down Charizard either. It is fine. I will eat my words if I am wrong. I am not going to throw logic out the window just because Ridley is a cool character.

"That doesn't sound any harder than Jigglypuff!" > What your quote sounded like to my ears. :jigglypuffmelee:
He never said that. He said that the two share similar shapes and that aside from longer/thinner limbs, animating Ridley for the most part would just be a slightly more difficult Charizard. I don't know where you got Charizard being more detailed than Ridley.

And do you really think Ridley of all things is going to break the 3DS? Not Olimar or Ice Climbers or someone that actually takes up processing power rather than screen size?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If a character suffers from terrible balance, that's not an inherent quality of the character, it's a failure on the part of the developers. Ridley is no exception.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks for the review, but I have a question about the PETA thing as it's been brought up a few times:

Punching monkeys and apes in the face is okay, but not dogs?

I mean, I know the concern regarding PETA(They're insane; Tanooki Mario anyone?) but seems like it's odd to punch Dixie, DK or Diddy and get away with it but not a cartoon dog.
Domesticated animals have more priority. That is why Jigglypuff and Wolf were so late to Brawl. :jigglypuffmelee:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Thanks for the review, but I have a question about the PETA thing as it's been brought up a few times:

Punching monkeys and apes in the face is okay, but not dogs?

I mean, I know the concern regarding PETA(They're insane; Tanooki Mario anyone?) but seems like it's odd to punch Dixie, DK or Diddy and get away with it but not a cartoon dog.
I know, trust me I know. The hypocrisy is blinding. I think it's a double standard that they really only care about dogs, cats, and anything that's commonly made into fur coats.

However, they have ranted on Mario and Pokemon before, so I can easily see them ranting even more on Smash for including a DOG into the game, that would make them go ballistic. I feel they would just get rid of the thought of them to avoid legal issues, but that's me.

EDIT: As for characters like Wolf, Fox, etc. it may just be because they're humanoid.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The only difference between Ridley and Charizard is that Ridley has longer and thinner limbs than Charizard. It makes him harder to animate per say, but it shouldn't make him look like a pruple barf on the 3DS.
Well, in all honesty, while that is the case, the arms are the only part of Ridley that would be troublesome to animate on account of the fact that Ridley would most likely be hunched over and walk like something similar to himself as Omega Ridley and Bowser's old walk-cycle.

Size-wise, I'm sure he'll be huge, my guess on par or taller than Ganondorf, but not by a large amount (Or, in this game, a bit taller than Bowser, since I'm guessing the two baddies will be equal height as Bowser's standing upright). I dunno, he could work, but he would either be really overpowered, which would make people complain, or really sucky, due to his size, weight, etc.
I simply disagree with the overpowered part, especially since people will go and call people OP because of little things while in reality they're nowhere near OP, EG: Sonic, Ike, Pit, etc. Ridley could be perfectly balanced and people would still find things to complain about. People are already calling Villager and MegaMan OP for Christ's sake.

Morbi

Scavenger
If a character suffers from terrible balance, that's not an inherent quality of the character, it's a failure on the part of the developers. Ridley is no exception.
This.

He never said that. He said that the two share similar shapes and that aside from longer/thinner limbs, animating Ridley for the most part would just be a slightly more difficult Charizard. I don't know where you got Charizard being more detailed than Ridley.

And do you really think Ridley of all things is going to break the 3DS? Not Olimar or Ice Climbers or someone that actually takes up processing power rather than screen size?
He was responding to my post. My post alluded to these problems. So that is where I am getting it... the ORIGINAL SOURCE MATERIAL. The reason he even responded to me!

I don't think he will break the 3DS. I think he will look like **** on the 3DS. That is really my only complaint. I can't wait to see him if they actually go through and develop him. It might be akin to Netherrealm Studios faces. Haha.
:jigglypuffmelee:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, in all honesty, while that is the case, the arms are the only part of Ridley that would be troublesome to animate on account of the fact that Ridley would most likely be hunched over and walk like something similar to himself as Omega Ridley and Bowser's old walk-cycle.

I simply disagree with the overpowered part, especially since people will go and call people OP because of little things while in reality they're nowhere near OP, EG: Sonic, Ike, Pit, etc. Ridley could be perfectly balanced and people would still find things to complain about. People are already calling Villager and MegaMan OP for Christ's sake.
I respect your opinion, and it is true, people nitpick. But I can see him being advantageous to every other character if not done correctly. But it's my own opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
I respect your opinion, and it is true, people nitpick. But I can see him being advantageous to every other character if not done correctly. But it's my own opinion.
I actually do agree with you. Ganondorf and Bowser are bottom for a reason. Big slow characters have a tough time competing with small fast characters like Metaknight and Diddy Kong. So if Ridley is slow, I anticipate that he will suck. That is just the way the Jigglypuff crumbles. Lets just say, Squirtle vs. Charizard. Squirtle has the advantage... and it isn't because he is a Water-Type. :jigglypuffmelee:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isn't Charizard harder to program than a hypothetical Ridley?

Ridley has long legs while Charizard has stubs for legs.

I thought animating the stubs were harder.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Any character can be advantageous if not done properly, as we saw wit Meta Knight. Besides, there's not alot of things to make Ridley OP, as priority seems to be a bigger issue over reach, and I don't see Ridley being a super-priority character. Besides, if he has the reach people fear, the Fire Emblem crew are gonna have a field day.

Morbi

Scavenger
Isn't Charizard harder to program than a hypothetical Ridley?

Ridley has long legs while Charizard has stubs for legs.

I thought animating the stubs was harder.
Who knows. Maybe, I am not really a programmer. I would think that Ridley is harder to program, but obviously I have no experience. If Charizard is truly more difficult to program, I highly doubt we will be seeing Pokemon Trainer. It isn't like he doesn't already have 3 characters, 4 models, a battle mechanic, 3 voice actors, and close to 9x the balancing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ YoshiAndToad

I can live with that roster. It's got the majority of my most wanted characters - Toad, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt Dog. It's more than enough for me to overlook Zelda's and Pokemon's stagnant rosters and Fire Emblem's over-representation.

Also, **** PETA. It's not like we are abusing a Nintendog. This is Duck Hunt Dog we are talking about here. He's a cartoon dog, not a realistic puppy.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I actually do agree with you. Ganondorf and Bowser are bottom for a reason. Big slow characters have a tough time competing with small fast characters like Metaknight and Diddy Kong. So if Ridley is slow, I anticipate that he will suck. That is just the way the Jigglypuff crumbles. Lets just say, Squirtle vs. Charizard. Squirtle has the advantage... and it isn't because he is a Water-Type. :jigglypuffmelee:
Well, Ganondorf wasn't always bottom, but I get the point. And no, I would see Ridley being slow on the ground, but he has a fighting style that lets him connect attacks into his ability to fly/float then into more aerial attacks to make up for his lack of mobility on the ground, because even in the Metroid games, Ridley is pretty sluggish on the ground. This way, he isn't OP, but has enough options to keep him from being bottom tier.

@ YoshiAndToad

I can live with that roster. It's got the majority of my most wanted characters - Toad, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt Dog. It's more than enough for me to overlook Zelda's and Pokemon's stagnant rosters and Fire Emblem's over-representation.

Also, **** PETA. It's not like we are abusing a Nintendog. This is Duck Hunt Dog we are talking about here. He's a cartoon dog, not a realistic puppy.
Tanooki Mario was just a Cartoony Plumber in a cartoony Raccoon outfit, Super Meat Boy was just a Cartoony piece of raw meat, Pokemon are practically all Cartoon-esque, I don't really think PETA cares and I'm personally surprised they haven't made something revolving around the Duck Hunt Dog at this point.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ YoshiAndToad

Nintendog and Duck Hunt Dog are the same things... virtual dogs. I don't understand why it would be OK to attack a not-realistic dog versus a realistic dog. Is there some kind of study that draws correlation between realism in video games being associated as more real for a child's primitive brain or something?

Not using this to really prove anything to anyone, but here's a neat little article I found about Ridley and his sizes. Nothing that hasn't already been established before, but a nice compilation for whenever we need to shut down anyone saying Ridley can't be down-scaled into Smash Bros.

Oh, and Bowser too.
I truly do hope that wasn't meant for me. I am not arguing that he can't be scaled down. :jigglypuffmelee:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Charizard and Ridley aren't that much alike apart from their wings.

Charizard is like Wario with a tail.
And Ridley is like Waluigi with... a tail. And a smaller moustache.

Morbi

Scavenger
You callin' me a liar?
I don't know. I was pretty sure you were implying that I needed the article despite your disclaimer. It just seemed like a non-confrontational way of throwing it out there. Like a reserved Jigglypuff sitting alone in a cafeteria. I suppose you have not given me any reason to doubt the validity of your word. I apologize. Like a Jigglypuff offering you half a sandwich. :jigglypuffmelee:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
@ YoshiAndToad

Especially when you can even shoot the Duck Hunt Dog in VS Duck Hunt.

Also I dream that the Nintendog was playable last night, it was the labrador one and his dash attack was a tackle while shouting "TA DADADA TA DAAA PUPPY POWER !", god d*** Scrappy Doo.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, Ganondorf wasn't always bottom, but I get the point. And no, I would see Ridley being slow on the ground, but he has a fighting style that lets him connect attacks into his ability to fly/float then into more aerial attacks to make up for his lack of mobility on the ground, because even in the Metroid games, Ridley is pretty sluggish on the ground. This way, he isn't OP, but has enough options to keep him from being bottom tier.

Tanooki Mario was just a Cartoony Plumber in a cartoony Raccoon outfit, Super Meat Boy was just a Cartoony piece of raw meat, Pokemon are practically all Cartoon-esque, I don't really think PETA cares and I'm personally surprised they haven't made something revolving around the Duck Hunt Dog at this point.
To be fair Fox is a cartoon fox, Falco is a cartoon bird, Wolf is a cartoon wolf, Squirtle is a cartoon turtle, DK is a cartoon gorilla and Diddy is a cartoon monkey. As far as I'm aware, no one has said anything about kicking their skulls in yet. Although I may be wrong.

Whoops; look like I may have started a topic about contraversy accidentally.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why are we even talking about PETA, some of the most hypocrites to ever set foot on Earth?
Want to switch to the Westboro Baptist Church?

It all started because someone put Duck Hunt Dog on their roster. He wasn't even on the roster, he was just a wild card. Like a Jigglypuff in the forest, solemn and alone.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
To be fair Fox is a cartoon fox, Falco is a cartoon bird, Wolf is a cartoon wolf, Squirtle is a cartoon turtle, DK is a cartoon gorilla and Diddy is a cartoon monkey. As far as I'm aware, no one has said anything about kicking their skulls in yet. Although I may be wrong.

Whoops; look like I may have started a topic about contraversy accidentally.
Well...at least one of them has referenced at least ONCE. (Pokemon Black & Blue....the person who made that is a cruel *******...and the sad part is...I know who made that game)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess it is a good thing few people are supporting Meowth. PETA would have a field day with Smash over abusing cats. :rolleyes:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well...at least one of them has referenced at least ONCE. (Pokemon Black & Blue....the person who made that is a cruel *******...and the sad part is...I know who made that game)
Do you know why he made it exactly?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wanted to like your post for the reply and information, but the implications would be horrible.

I guess it is a good thing few people are supporting Meowth. PETA would have a field day with Smash over abusing cats. :rolleyes:
Hopefully no one tells them what animal Mewtwo is based on.

Someone pick a new topic quick!

Morbi

Scavenger
Wouldn't it be amazing to see Meowth v Jigglypuff v Pikachu though? That would be like a surreal dream. I wish it could happen. Nobody gives Meowth the credit he deserves.

I don't know what it is. Based on how you guys are talking about it... it was probably made for shock-value. A lot of Metal music is composed in the same way. Well... at least Death Metal.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I don't know his exact name, but I know his other work. Remember many years ago on Cartoon Network.com when they had that Teen Titans fighting game that was played by tons of people and loved? Yeah, the same man who created said game is the creator of Black & Blue.

I'm personally surprised that they didn't attack UMVC3 because of Amaterasu being playable.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know his exact name, but I know his other work. Remember many years ago on Cartoon Network.com when they had that Teen Titans fighting game that was played by tons of people and loved? Yeah, the same man who created said game is the creator of Black & Blue.
Wait?

THAT GAME?!? That game was awesome!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would absolutely love to see a free-for-all match between Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, and Meowth. It is a pipe dream, I know, but I love that dream.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Guys, I'm sorry for bringing it up, but what do you think the chances are to see a Wario newcomer? Not who you think is likely, just the chance of there actually being a new character?

In fact, for any franchise?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Guys, I'm sorry for bringing it up, but what do you think the chances are to see a Wario newcomer? Not who you think is likely, just the chance of there actually being a new character?

In fact, for any franchise?
I personally want nobody from the franchise other than that of Captain Syrup. Chances? Probably not likely until next Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom