• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd be fine with another character was added to either Mario or Pokemon, not that its all that needed much it'd be cool. Legend of Zelda on the other hand is better off staying at four. I can't really think of anyone else to add that's been all that consistent and popular to warrant being the fifth character. Maybe Tingle, But if I'm not mistaken only the Japanese audience really likes him that much. But he's still fairly reasonable compared to say Zant or Skull Kid. Maybe Vaati(his biggest draw is actually being multiple games, like Tingle)too, but he hasn't been in any recent games as far as I know.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I've said it before but ideally they remain at 4, and other well endowed franchises like Star Fox and Kirby stay at 3, but the likes of Metroid and Kid Icarus maybe get one more while the main focus is on introducing new franchises. Whether Sakurai sees the same way I don't know. All newcommers have come from new franchises so far but it's too early to say how important that is.
I see it like this. The design of newcomers in Smash 4 is something as follows:

The idea is representing new franchises, both new or classic, but filling in a couple of holes along the way, like giving Donkey Kong a third character in either K.Rool or Dixie, Metroid the much deserved newcomer in Ridley, and Mewtwo returning to Pokemon.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Ever? I think by Smash 5, Kirby and Star Fox will have 4 reps.

I don't think we'll ever see a 60+ roster. There'll come a point, and Sakurai is tacking this as we speak, where the roster will reach it's maximum. Not that we should be looking to Smash 5 with 4 round the corner, I think the roster will be a similar size to 4 if not the same. It won't just keep expanding. That is if there is another Smash of course.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Don't overthink it. For all we know, these could be the last games.

But, if we continue to get more games, I'd say the next series to get 5 would be Kirby, then FE, then DK, then StarFox.
I don't think Kirby and Starfox should exceed four characters ever. Kirby's franchise could only really use Dark Matter, and the only thing missing from Starfox is Krystal, we don't need to go beyond that really.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think we'll ever see a 60+ roster. There'll come a point, and Sakurai is tacking this as we speak, where the roster will reach it's maximum. Not that we should be looking to Smash 5 with 4 round the corner, I think the roster will be a similar size to 4 if not the same. I won't just keep expanding. That is if there is another Smash of course.
*CLAP*

I agree. The roster is definitely about to hit its peak.

So, how about that Ridley, guys?

I don't think Kirby and Starfox should exceed four characters ever. Kirby's franchise could only really use Dark Matter, and the only thing missing from Starfox is Krystal, we don't need to go beyond that really.
True, but then again, no one else really needs 5 characters other than those big three franchises.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Reminds me of pre-Brawl where everyone was convinced we were going to get a 50+ character roster. Little did said nimrods realize, betting on such hasty beliefs quickly led to tragedy and we barely missed the 40 mark, though for obvious reasons that people forgot about like development time, budget, and balance.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I want Porky...
If we ever get a third Mother rep it should be Ninten as a last minute semi-clone. It's funny how if Ninten didn't wear a hat, we'd all have him on our rosters.

This is my Ninten Move Set:

Neutral B: PK Brain Shock (like PK Freeze, but it controls differently and instead of damaging people, it stuns them)
Forward B: PK Beam (this works like PK Fire, but it pushes Ninten back a great distance. The beam has no limited traveling distance.
Downward B: Power Sheild/PSI Counter (Similar to Marth's Counter, but it has longer range, and reflects projectiles.
Upward B: PK Thunder (This thunder maintains the physics from Melee and can paralyze people similar to ZS Samus's gun.)

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
People can say what it is they want to say, I'm still remaining positive towards his inclusion. We're almost a month past that stage's reveal, there's no way in hell he'd hide Ridley's appearance as a stage hazard for that long.

This.

To me it smacks of Sakurai the troll at his finest.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Reminds me of pre-Brawl where everyone was convinced we were going to get a 50+ character roster. Little did said nimrods realize, betting on such hasty beliefs quickly led to tragedy and we barely missed the 40 mark, though for obvious reasons that people forgot about like development time, budget, and balance.
-3DS technical limitations
-Near guarantee that characters will be cut because of time constraints.
-Miis likely getting in for customization which would also require programming of all Mii heads, hairs, and facial features.

THERE IS NO WAY WE ARE GETTING MORE THAN 45 CHARACTERS.

People can say what it is they want to say, I'm still remaining positive towards his inclusion. We're almost a month past that stage's reveal, there's no way in hell he'd hide Ridley's appearance as a stage hazard for that long.
That seems exactly like something Masahiro Sakurai would do. I mean he hasn't yet given us a statement about Toon Link.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
This.

To me it smacks of Sakurai the troll at his finest.
Not to mention, is it just me, or is there no way in hell a normal sized Ridley would be able to fit in that hallway? Maybe if the other side of the hole was the Geothermal Power Plant my thoughts would sink like an anchor, but this...this means more than just a stage hazard, it has to. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Sakurai is a troll...but he is not cruel.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Look on the bright side everyone! We at least know that about a third of our roster is set in stone! That's something!

@Hotfeet- I agree that I'm still staying positive, but I'm just waiting. Anything can happen. And he is stalling Ridley's "grande reveal", so he may have something big in store for us. But I can wait, he's not my most requested character.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, consider how things were at the time of Melee compared to now. Mario was their big flagship franchise, easily shown to be their most important franchise. Zelda was doing very well from the still recent success of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and Pokemon was just three years old, still at the beginning of its life. Now, both Mario and Pokemon are almost tied for being the biggest franchise in the world, and they have no competitors for that position either, of course they're going to keep even. Zelda is still a hugely successful franchise, basically Nintendo's equivalent of Metal Gear Solid in the fact that a new game doesn't come out very often, but when one does, it's always very highly acclaimed and considered one of the best games of its time. As of now, Pokemon is celebrating its 15 year anniversary here in North America, Mario is still going on strong with a new title on the way, and the Legend of Zelda's new title, most hinted to be a sequel to Twilight Princess, is going to be a huge hit when it comes out like every other 3D Zelda game before it. Sure Zelda doesn't need to be tied with Mario and Pokemon, but Mario and Pokemon should not exceed each other, especially Pokemon exceeding Mario.
I have to disagree, the thing with Mario is that it's pretty much content with the four it already has. It could get another newcomer, but it hardly needs it. With Pokemon, they have 3 characters that have high importance, two that are coming into their own and many others to choose from. Restricting them to such a low number means limiting the number of characters that Pokemon can represent.

So, how about that Ridley, guys?
Quiet you! We can't start up another argument!

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Look on the bright side everyone! We at least know that about a third of our roster is set in stone! That's something!

@Hotfeet- I agree that I'm still staying positive, but I'm just waiting. Anything can happen. And he is stalling Ridley's "grande reveal", so he may have something big in store for us. But I can wait, he's not my most requested character.
He's not my most requested character either. What I care about most right now is Sonic and Mewtwo returning with updated movesets.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
And I hope for Mewtwo too. As well as Zelda and Ganondorf getting buffed. DON'T LET ME DOWN SAKURAI.
I agree with the likes of Zelda, hopefully she'll be as good as she was in Melee, which wasn't amazing, but nowhere near bad. As for Ganondorf, I don't think it's a case of buffing, but making Ganondorf more like the actual Ganondorf, like what they're doing with Bowser, making him more sociable with Super Mario Bros than Super Smash Bros, which is what I felt about Bowser for the first two games he appeared in.

So what you are saying is.......................Ridley's too big?
Nah, the hallway's just too narrow, especially for Other M Ridley's more buff physique. Not to mention, what about people walking around the station? Hard to enjoy your coffee break when you see a 15 foot tall Alien trying to crawl through the hallway to your break room. It's just SO inconsiderate.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I really don't see the logic in taking away Ganondorf's specials. That's the way he fights. How often do you see him using his sword or magical projectiles compared to his brute strenght!? That sword is almost just for show, and we don't need 3 Swordsmen representing the Zelda series.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I really don't see the logic in taking away Ganondorf's specials. That's the way he fights. How often do you see him using his sword or magical projectiles compared to his brute strenght!? That sword is almost just for show, and we don't need 3 Swordsmen representing the Zelda series.
Hmmmm...let's see...

Ocarina of Time boss fight...uses magic projectiles and energy waves to battle you...

Wind Waker Boss fight...twin sword style with alot of flips and speed for a person his size. This is the only game where Ganondorf actually tries to punch someone.

Twilight Princess Boss Fight...four part boss fight featuring dark magic, possession, a huge beast form, a battle on horseback, and a final battle to the death with his Sage Sword.

Skyward Sword Boss Fight...While not Ganondorf, Demise is responsible for Ganondorf's existence, and his main ability of fighting is with a dark version of the Master Sword.

That sword is just for show indeed...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
How about every Legend of Zelda game he's in when he actually fights?

Besides, everybody, why can't we just, you know, give Ganondorf magical stuff too? No need for swordsmen, but there's no such silly excuse holding his cool magics back.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Still not as much as his brute strength.

I'll just refer you back to Hotfeet444's post:

Hmmmm...let's see...

Ocarina of Time boss fight...uses magic projectiles and energy waves to battle you...

Wind Waker Boss fight...twin sword style with alot of flips and speed for a person his size. This is the only game where Ganondorf actually tries to punch someone.

Twilight Princess Boss Fight...four part boss fight featuring dark magic, possession, a huge beast form, a battle on horseback, and a final battle to the death with his Sage Sword.

Skyward Sword Boss Fight...While not Ganondorf, Demise is responsible for Ganondorf's existence, and his main ability of fighting is with a dark version of the Master Sword.

That sword is just for show indeed...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Swords are cool and all, but the raw brutality behind the Warlock Punch and other physical moves really emphasizes Ganondorf's power. I'm rooting for him to keep the physical moveset.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention, is it just me, or is there no way in hell a normal sized Ridley would be able to fit in that hallway? Maybe if the other side of the hole was the Geothermal Power Plant my thoughts would sink like an anchor, but this...this means more than just a stage hazard, it has to. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Sakurai is a troll...but he is not cruel.

Hadn't thought about that but it's certainly plausible.

And you're right Sakurai knows how requested Ridley is. To leave him out, while I wouldn't do something stupid like not get the game, would be a bit of a hype killer for me at least in his immediate aftermath of de-confirmation.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@ Hotfeet444, Monk4 & Arcadinir: I think you guys missed the "IN COMPARISON TO HIS STRENGTH" part. and for you complaining he doesn't use his magic, he already uses electricity, shadow, and explosion.

And Hotfeet, nice try using Skyward Sword as an excuse. That doesn't count. Shigeru Miyamoto is responsible for creating Mario. I guess that means he is well known for spitting Fire Balls.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982

He's used magic plenty of times dude.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
He's used magic plenty of times dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom