• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pokemon Trainer's starters are like 90% safe.
Kanto starters in X and Y, remember?
yeah. 90% safe. hence there on the list. Doesn't matter if its 90% or 99%, there's still a chance we might be wrong. Unless it's 100%.

I do think generational representation in something the Pokemon company accounts for. Hence, if we get Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu, I think they might want a Kalos trainer or something like that. It's up to them after all. Even with Mewtwo generation 6 mascot status, it would be harder to show gen 6 with mewtwo's two mega forms. I would however think Mewtwo in one of his Mega Forms the whole match would be worthy of Gen 6.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I think that has more to do with the principle that cutting Pokemon Trainer would be like cutting 4 characters. Thus saving a variety of 4 characters from being cut, but only taking one slot out. Not to mention if we are going to get a Pokemon Newcomer, Sakurai might attempt to balance that by cutting a Pokemon. Pokemon Trainer is an easy target because he is a pain to develop and balance.
Right. I also like to think he won't be cut since he's supposed to be repping the avatar or Pokemon, or even more so, Red himself. I just hope they call him Red if he shows up again, but I doubt they will do that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, not sure if this was covered earlier yesterday, but I have a question for you all. Since we got Peach this month on the 12th, does anyone think we'll get a second character this coming Friday because of Wind Waker HD's release with the Wii U bundle? Zelda perhaps?
I actually never thought about that. I mean that would be really cool. Reveal both Princesses around the same time? I don't think it will happen, but it is certainly a possibility. Sakurai will probably just reveal one once a month though. Next one might be a Pokemon rep if he continues to cross-promote Nintendo games.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who cares about which Brawl veterans return more than newcomers right now?
Pokemon Trainer in October, Diddy in December, Wario with Mario Kart 8.
Less worrying for me (although they're all safe), and I'm content.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Am I the only one who cares about which Brawl veterans return more than newcomers right now?
I was more thinking of October being Mewtwo's confirmation, while Yoshi gets confirmed in November.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am actually with you on this one. I kind of already know all of the possible Newcomers, it is just up to Sakurai to pick. However, the cuts are going to change the game just as much, if not more. We already know Mewtwo and Little Mac are strong possibilities. A Kid Icarus rep is imminent. Donkey Kong rep is all but guaranteed. So they aren't as interesting to me. The cuts though. If they cut Wolf, Lucario, or Ike there will be an emptiness. Even if they cut Toon Link (someone I actually kind of want cut) I will be a little disappointed.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I think so, I wanna see some newcomers. (because i want this place to explode with hype, and laugh and the reactions)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Honestly I really wanna know what's up with the Zelda cast. Is Toon/Child/Some 2nd form Link returning? How will Ganondorf look, be, play, or will he possibly even make it? Is Zelda gonna still have Sheik? The Zelda cast has a lot of unanswered questions for me, plus it's my favorite series.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Honestly I really wanna know what's up with the Zelda cast. Is Toon/Child/Some 2nd form Link returning? How will Ganondorf look, be, play, or will he possibly even make it? Is Zelda gonna still have Sheik? The Zelda cast has a lot of unanswered questions for me, plus it's my favorite series.
I'm personally thinking this "all-encompassing" thing isn't going to work with Zelda and Ganondorf like it does for Link. Link almost always looks the same, young man in a green tunic with a sword and shield. Zelda and Ganondorf almost always look differently in each game, Ganondorf especially.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think what we're looking at with this constant streak of Veteran reveals is a trailer revealing more than 1 Newcomer at once.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My predictions:
October: Pokemon Trainer and/or Mewtwo
November: Zelda
December: Diddy and potentially another newcomer
Mario Kart 8: Wario
Yoshi's New Island: Yoshi
I also forsee Zero Suit Samus revealed soon for some reason.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'm personally thinking this "all-encompassing" thing isn't going to work with Zelda and Ganondorf like it does for Link.
Could you explain what you mean by"all-encompassing thing" for me? Not really sure what you mean.

Also I think a Mewtwo reveal would we perfect as the next one. It'd be a great way to inject some good early hype into the Smash community.

Morbi

Scavenger
Could you explain what you mean by"all-encompassing thing" for me? Not really sure what you mean.

Also I think a Mewtwo reveal would we perfect as the next one. It'd be a great way to inject some good early hype into the Smash community.
I think he means how Link is technically not Twilight Link or Skyward Link. Link is more of a universal interpretation of himself rather than tied to a specific version of a game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think he means how Link is technically not Twilight Link or Skyward Link. Link is more of a universal interpretation of himself rather than tied to a specific version of a game.
Which is why I don't see Toon Link returning.
Thanks for this, I didn't really know exactly how to put it.

Edit: You know, because Spirit Tracks stage.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

The idea of this is that this new Link is an all-encompassing Link, featuring designs from the Wii U Tech Demo and Skyward Sword, and possibly even Ocarina of Time 3D. It's mainly means that it's not a Link based on one game in the franchise or its a future release Link. People think Ganondorf and Zelda will follow suit, but I just don't see it working that way. Link is always the same young man with a sword and shield, Zelda and Ganondorf are usually portrayed differently each game with different abilities, there's almost no way to create an all-encompassing character of them both.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
If the game's release date is near summer, I think we could expect a barrage of unlockables.
Which would be AWESOME because there's nothing that brings more hype than this
I like this sound better; couldn't find smash 4's sound alarm but that one is best, i'm gonna enjoy hearing that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The idea of this is that this new Link is an all-encompassing Link, featuring designs from the Wii U Tech Demo and Skyward Sword, and possibly even Ocarina of Time 3D. It's mainly means that it's not a Link based on one game in the franchise or its a future release Link. People think Ganondorf and Zelda will follow suit, but I just don't see it working that way. Link is always the same young man with a sword and shield, Zelda and Ganondorf are usually portrayed differently each game with different abilities, there's almost no way to create an all-encompassing character of them both.
I think that Smash is going to stick with the Twilight Princess versions of everyone.
They seemed to work really well.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Which is why I don't see Toon Link returning.
Thanks for this, I didn't really know exactly how to put it.

Edit: You know, because Spirit Tracks stage.
You do realize that Spirit Tracks Link and Wind Waker Link are not the same person, right? Also, Toon Link not returning would be a heavy insult towards The Wind Waker HD.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You do realize that Spirit Tracks Link and Wind Waker Link are not the same person, right? Also, Toon Link not returning would be a heavy insult towards The Wind Waker HD.
Neither is Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link.
It'd be weird to see "Link" in the background of Skyloft, don't you think?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Except their all "Link" there is no "Toon Link" in the Zelda canon so technically we did have Link meeting Link in the Spirit Tracks stage... :rolleyes: (Same thing with the Link's in Melee and Brawl really I guess)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Thanks for the explanation.
I do disagree with that though. I do believe an "all-encompassing" Zelda is definitely possible. But the main problem I see with her is Sheik. I have no idea how that would work with an "all-encompassing" Zelda, or if she'd even have a transformation at all. I think it's idiotic when people say Zelda will transform into Impa, seeing as Impa =/= Zelda. Ganondorf really baffles me. He's never really had art that went a bit cartoony (aside from Toon G-dorf), so I'm not sure how he'd be pulled off, or even implemented. A 2nd Link also scares me, because I think it is totally necessary to represent the Zelda series by having 2 Links(as does Sakurai when he mention Toon Link on the Brawl Dojo).

In conclusion, "WTF is gonna happen with the Zelda cast" is my biggest concern.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
But this Link isn't Twilight Princess Link...
Except their all "Link" there is no "Toon Link" in the Zelda canon so technically we did have Link meeting Link in the Spirit Tracks stage... :rolleyes: (Same thing with the Link's in Melee and Brawl really)
This is silly. We aren't repping a specific Link. We are repping Zelda with the primary characters of Zelda. The triforce trio is ever present and important, but an Adult and Child Link is also important. There needs to be 2 Links repped. Zelda has always differentiated the Links by having an adult one and a child one. Young Link just so happens to be represented by this "Toon Link" that came about after Wind Waker.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the safest thing to predict with the Zelda cast is us getting the triforce trio (in whatever design they are) along with Sheik for Zelda and a younger Link (Whatever design he is) as a last minute addition. Basically the same thing we got in Brawl and Melee. Not sure about any other realistic additions though and most of them seem to be tied to the second Link except for Tingle and Impa, the rest are one shots who could make it in but most likely probably wouldn't. But that's just my opinion really... :/

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I think the safest thing to predict with the Zelda cast is us getting the triforce trio (in whatever design they are) along with Sheik for Zelda and a younger Link (Whatever design he is) as a last minute addition. Basically the same thing we got in Brawl and Melee. Not sure about any other realistic additions though and most of them seem to be tied to the second Link except for Tingle and Impa, the rest are one shots who could make it in but most likely probably wouldn't. But that's just my opinion really... :/
This is the safest, and probably most likely guess, but I'm still curious about how they look and feel, if they even get in.
However don't forget about Tetra and Vaati. They aren't one-offs and are important to the series still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom