• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
How did we state that as pure fact? You were simply perceiving our words incorrectly. The very notion is subjective to begin with, that should have been your first clue that our statements were highly opinionated. If you can find a quote where we actually stated or alluded to their immunity being fact and not simply an opinion, I promise to close my account and never come back. :awesome:
I said people. Not MorbidAltruism.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
How did we state that as pure fact? You were simply perceiving our words incorrectly. The very notion is subjective to begin with, that should have been your first clue that our statements were highly opinionated. If you can find a quote where we actually stated or alluded to their immunity being fact and not simply an opinion, I promise to close my account and never come back. :awesome:
But your the reason I caught the like-like itis, If you go (which you won't) I promise to avenge you and show everyone the power of the like-like!:awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
Huh? Yeah that's a possibility. So is Anna. Every character in Smash goes through IS. they can recommend whoever they want. That's my point.

SaturnGamer made the quote sound different. He changed it. My points cuts are possible and Sakurai has prepared us all for cuts. So if there are cuts, he said it right there. He said cuts are possible.

But the lost in translation point is very weak. If you think like that, then there is no point in reading translated interviews. Sakurai's intentions are very clear. Questioning the translation undermines the work of translator.

I thinks cuts are possible and likely consider the size the roster is now. Even just one cut. I think it is possible Jigglypuff can be cut. I do not think Jiggly puff will be cut.

It's easier to determine what characters won't be cut than what characters will be cut. Under no circumstance.
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Pikmin & Olimar,
Pit
Wario
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong
Fox McCloud
Ganondorf (or Ganon)
Ice Climbers,
Kirby,
Link
Luigi
Mario,
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Pikachu
Princess Peach
Princess Zelda
Pokemon Trainer (some form)?
Samus Aran
Yoshi

The Chopping Block
Wolf
Ike
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer's Starters
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toon Link
Lucario
R.O.B.
Falco Lombardi

We have only seen one round of cuts. Hardly enough to determine Sakurai's approach. Any of the bottom can happen. Even if there's a 99% chance it won't.

I don't think Jiggly, Falco, ROB and Sonic will be cut. But that it's base on a limited amount of information.
No, you misunderstand. I mean the most minute discrepancies tend to occur when articles are translated. I am actually one of the only people excited for cuts. I think it will be great to have a refined roster. I was one of the only people stating that there WOULD be cuts, back when everyone was saying that there would be no cuts. So I totally agree with your premise. I was simply trying to prove that out of context quotes can be changed or manipulated and that Sakurai's intent cannot be 100% correctly translated. The general aspects of the article still retain the value that they hold regardless of the language (the notion that there WILL be cuts or that the roster has realistically hit its cap being 2 examples of this).

Bajef8

Smash Ace
His incorrect perceptions happen a lot. Just read and understand our actual statements, instead of trying to incorrectly guess the undertones you think you are hearing.

Morbi

Scavenger
The deal with Nintendo seems incredibly reminiscent of the deal of SEGA and Nintendo working together before Sonic's debut in Brawl back in 2007, so I'll say he'll easily return. I'll also vouch for Naked Snake to come in Solid's place.
Yes. That is what I want more than anything. Usually I hate third-party characters, or at least I would prefer a first-party over any given third-party. However, Big Boss is just too great. With MGS5 coming out it would be a great transition. I know it wont happen, but it is keeping me excited. Everyone should have that one character that they support despite the odds. Just to retain some interest. Big Boss is mine.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
His incorrect perceptions happen a lot. Just read and understand our actual statements, instead of trying to incorrectly guess the undertones you think you are hearing.
How incredibly hipocritical of you. I mentioned neither of your names when I said "People like to claim their immunity as pure fact." Now who is the one reading into non existent things with incorrect perceptions?

Please keep bringing this up though, we all wanna hear this stupid discussion you are so obsessed in revisiting. We really do, bajef8. :glare:

View attachment 2496
SUPER ULTRA MIGHTY BONES ROSTER VERSION THRES
Everything is perfect except for Toad

josh bones

Smash Lord
I guess once equals a lot. I also never said either of you claimed the immunity as fact. I said people claim it as fact. Please keep bringing this up though, we all wanna hear this stupid discussion you are so obsessed in revisiting. We really do, bajef8. :glare:

Thank you Saturn, but your perfect rooster is in another castle:)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Huh? Yeah that's a possibility. So is Anna. Every character in Smash goes through IS. they can recommend whoever they want. That's my point.

SaturnGamer made the quote sound different. He changed it. My points cuts are possible and Sakurai has prepared us all for cuts. So if there are cuts, he said it right there. He said cuts are possible.

But the lost in translation point is very weak. If you think like that, then there is no point in reading translated interviews. Sakurai's intentions are very clear. Questioning the translation undermines the work of translator.

I thinks cuts are possible and likely consider the size the roster is now. Even just one cut. I think it is possible Jigglypuff can be cut. I do not think Jiggly puff will be cut.

It's easier to determine what characters won't be cut than what characters will be cut. Under no circumstance.
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Pikmin & Olimar,
Pit
Wario
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong
Fox McCloud
Ganondorf (or Ganon)
Ice Climbers,
Kirby,
Link
Luigi
Mario,
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Pikachu
Princess Peach
Princess Zelda
Pokemon Trainer (some form)?
Samus Aran
Yoshi

The Chopping Block
Wolf
Ike
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toon Link
Lucario
R.O.B.
Falco Lombardi

We have only seen one round of cuts. Hardly enough to determine Sakurai's approach. Any of the bottom can happen. Even if there's a 99% chance it won't.

I don't think Jiggly, Falco, ROB and Sonic will be cut. But that it's base on a limited amount of information.
I was literally just going to do this.
Good idea, let's expand on this.
I agree with everyone on the chopping block, except ROB.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
It's hard to state this, I don't think I ever seen any single character from a new Nintendo (not third-party) IP get cut.
I don't think R.O.B. will be cut, but until he's confirmed it's something people won't agree on. I do agree it's unlikely that an previously represented IP will end up unrepresented (i.e. Ness and Lucas are cut and no Mother characters are added, Game and Watch, R.O.B.), but it's not a sentiment everyone shares.

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess once equals a lot. I also never said either of you claime the immunity as fact. I said people claim it as fact. Please keep bringing this up though, we all wanna hear this stupid discussion you are so obsessed in revisiting.

The innate assumption we got was that you were referencing us. It is probably because we have been arguing for 30 plus minutes. No one else really jumped in the conversation. So naturally we assumed you meant us. Sorry for incorrectly assuming that. It just seemed logical. Sometimes literal statements can be perceived as hypothetical statements. For instance, when you said "people", I assumed you were using that as a placeholder for both of our names and making a general statement to the forums as opposed to directly talking to us.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I guess once equals a lot. I also never said either of you claimed the immunity as fact. I said people claim it as fact. Please keep bringing this up though, we all wanna hear this stupid discussion you are so obsessed in revisiting. We really do, bajef8. :glare:

Thank you Saturn, but your perfect rooster is in another castle:)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't think R.O.B. will be cut, but until he's confirmed it's something people won't agree on. I do agree it's unlikely that an previously represented IP will end up unrepresented (i.e. Ness and Lucas are cut and no Mother characters are added), but it's not a sentiment everyone shares.
I think R.O.B, is staying, because I highly doubt we'd have a roster with Wii Fit Trainer, but not R.O.B.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Well "people" referring to the fact that only Morbid and I were defending their status, then you claimed "people", which we took as being us, said it was fact that they're immune. However enough of the snide comments at the end of your comments. It's bringing out your old rude side, which I thought was over with.

Edit: And actually you said "you every one" in response to my statement. So I logically assumed you are referring to me, seeing as it says "you every one". I can only guess you forgot to delete the you because you initially were accusing me of saying it was fact.

Morbid, so you're in favor of cuts, as long as the chopping block doesn't touch the Original 12? Or am I guessing incorrectly?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's my current roster. I'm not getting Maker until I get my new computer.

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

DK:
DK
Diddy
K. Rool
Dixie

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

Paper Mario:
Paper Mario

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Lucario
Red

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Chrom

Mother:
Ness

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Pikmin:
Olimar

Animal Crossing:
Villager

Punch Out:
Little Mac

Xenoblade:
Shulk

Wii:
Mii
Wii Fit Trainer

Retro:
Ice Climber
G&W
ROB
Takamaru

3rd Party:
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

What do you think?
Just sharing this again, nobody responded, so what do you think now?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yeah I don't think sonic is getting cut.... same with r.o.b.

@Louie

FE should have 3, same with starfox. and I think mother will have at least 2 playable characters.

Paper mario won't have his own catagory.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think R.O.B, is staying, because I highly doubt we'd have a roster with Wii Fit Trainer, but not R.O.B.
I don't necessarily want R.O.B to return; however, I also believe he will be staying. I just never really got into his play-style. That is something to consider though. I am sure his unique play-style was a lot of fun for other people. I don't think R.O.B will initially be on the list. I am thinking pseudo-clones will be the first on the "chopping block".

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's super effective!
Is there a way to "Super Friend" you on SmashBoards?

I don't necessarily want R.O.B to return; however, I also believe he will be staying. I just never really got into his play-style. That is something to consider though. I am sure his unique play-style was a lot of fun for other people. I don't think R.O.B will initially be on the list. I am thinking pseudo-clones will be the first on the "chopping block".
A character's move set has no influence on their importance as a character/representative imo

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Characters people think are in trouble that really aren't:
Jigglypuff
Falco
ROB
Sonic

That's it really.
Personally I prefer the air, think falco is in trouble more so than wolf.

Sonic is like 90% safe imo. same with the rest. (jiggly rest...get it? WAKA WAKA *shot*)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally I prefer the air, think falco is in trouble more so than wolf.

Sonic is like 90% safe imo.
Why? Falco is more important to Smash and (although Saturngamer might get a bit angry at me for this) is a veteran, which increases his chances significantly.
Wolf was a lazy semi-clone thrown in last minute because Sakurai said so.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well "people" referring to the fact that only Morbid and I were defending their status, then you claimed "people", which we took as being us, said it was fact that they're immune. However enough of the snide comments at the end of your comments. It's bringing out your old rude side, which I thought was over with.

Morbid, so you're in favor of cuts, as long as the chopping block doesn't touch the Original 12? Or am I guessing incorrectly?
You are correct, good sir. I am not necessarily too keen on characters getting cut. However, I want this to be the best Smash possible. Sakurai is correct, the plausible roster was realistically met with Brawl. I think we could have squeezed a few more in. I don't want it to turn into a Dragon Ball Z game. If you have ever played those. There are 5 Frieza forms, 4 Cell forms, 4 Buu forms, 10 Goku forms, not to mention a ton of generic nameless characters such as the Cell Jrs or Saiybamen. You just need to be realistic. If Sakurai thinks a refined roster is necessary for the progression of the franchise, I am all for it. To be honest, I agree with him. We want every character to have a role and feel unique.

However, I do not want to see any of the original 12 go. I don't think anyone invested with the series wants such an atrocity to be committed. I would rather see some Brawl newcomers go over some of the Melee veterans as well. It is all about the investment with the characters. I like to say this as unbiased as possible. Wolf, Lucario, and Ike are some of my favorite characters from Brawl. I would be sad to see them go. If it is for the greater good, I am all for it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I agree. Wasn't Mr. Game & Watch in the same position preBrawl? What makes R.O.B. any different?
My list was made trying to achieve consensus. If I applied my previously represented IP will have at least one character, then this is the chopping block:
The Chopping Block
Wolf
Ike
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Toon Link
Lucario
Falco Lombardi

As much as I don't think Jigglypuff or Falco will be removed, (it's like 99%), I have to put them on the list.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Why? Falco is more important to Smash and (although Saturngamer might get a bit angry at me for this) is a veteran, which increases his chances significantly.
Wolf was a lazy semi-clone thrown in last minute because Sakurai said so.
Cause falco is a side character, wolf is a villain and smash needs more of those.
Falco left the team before he might do so again.
Plus that opens up the possibility of a certain staff wielding character
Falco is more of a clone than wolf is imo.
But again could be wrong, its just my opinion.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
You are correct, good sir. I am not necessarily too keen on characters getting cut. However, I want this to be the best Smash possible. Sakurai is correct, the plausible roster was realistically met with Brawl. I think we could have squeezed a few more in. I don't want it to turn into a Dragon Ball Z game. If you have ever played those. There are 5 Frieza forms, 4 Cell forms, 4 Buu forms, 10 Goku forms, not to mention a ton of generic nameless characters such as the Cell Jrs or Saiybamen. You just need to be realistic. If Sakurai thinks a refined roster is necessary for the progression of the franchise, I am all for it. To be honest, I agree with him. We want every character to have a role and feel unique.

However, I do not want to see any of the original 12 go. I don't think anyone invested with the series wants such an atrocity to be committed. I would rather see some Brawl newcomers go over some of the Melee veterans as well. It is all about the investment with the characters. I like to say this as unbiased as possible. Wolf, Lucario, and Ike are some of my favorite characters from Brawl. I would be sad to see them go. If it is for the greater good, I am all for it.
I can dig that. I do think newer characters should take precedence of being cut VS the older 12 and Melee vets. Wolf and Ike would pain me if they left very much so.

And Noah, I have no hard feelings. Just don't come off as rude, and I won't react in a rude or snide way. That's all bud.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Cause falco is a side character, wolf is a villain and smash needs more of those.
Falco left the team before he might do so again.
Plus that opens up the possibility of a certain staff wielding character
Falco is more of a clone than wolf is imo.
But again could be wrong, its just my opinion.
Krystal left the team too, you know.

Attachments

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Alright, not sure if this was covered earlier yesterday, but I have a question for you all. Since we got Peach this month on the 12th, does anyone think we'll get a second character this coming Friday because of Wind Waker HD's release with the Wii U bundle? Zelda perhaps?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, not sure if this was covered earlier yesterday, but I have a question for you all. Since we got Peach this month on the 12th, does anyone think we'll get a second character this coming Friday because of Wind Waker HD's release with the Wii U bundle? Zelda perhaps?
It's possible, but it's probably going to wait until LBW in November.
Edit: Also why Peach was announced now, Super Mario 3D World is November too.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pokemon Trainer's starters are like 90% safe.
Kanto starters in X and Y, remember?
I think that has more to do with the principle that cutting Pokemon Trainer would be like cutting 4 characters. Thus saving a variety of 4 characters from being cut, but only taking one slot out. Not to mention if we are going to get a Pokemon Newcomer, Sakurai might attempt to balance that by cutting a Pokemon. Pokemon Trainer is an easy target because he is a pain to develop and balance.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'd like to think this pattern of "once a month" reveals keeps happening. I feel like the "character advertising a new game" reveals stopped once Peach showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom