• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ganondorf isn't important anymore, and Nintendo is clearly trying to usher him out. Groose is the more important character, and he's a sidekick, which we need more of in Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Pacman is in.

He was bigger than Mario at one point. Plus, I think Sakurai would love the challenge of designing him. A moveset based on his one-of-a-kind movements and various pellets would unique.

With this version of Smash being extremely flavorful and having a broader range of character types, Pacman seems like a guarantee to me. But we'll see.
Keep telling yourself that, because it's simply not going to happen.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
new subject:

What do you guys think is going to happen with Ganondorf's move set? I think he is perfectly fine the way he is, but maybe he will get new Smash Attacks. I don't see him getting his own Specials though as he is known for being a man of brute strength and rarely a swords man or user of magical projectiles.

Personally I'd like to see a toon gannon like moveset, but that's not gonna happen, so... give him more magic based abilities, and let him swing that sword for once... the less he is of a falcon clone the better.

D

Deleted member

Pac-man, while certinaly iconic, doesn't really seem to have much potential in my opinion. I mean, his most well known ability is eating. I can't really see that working in Smash with Pac-man, at least in a way that isn't very different from Wario's chomp attack. Kirby steals the powers of who or what he inhales, Yoshi turns his enemies into eggs, but Pac-man eats ghosts and they are reduced to eyes. I haven't played Pac-man World, but I've read that he can throw power-pellets at enemies, and use a Sonic-esque spin dash, and a ground pound like Mario, but I wouldn't want him to have any moves similar to Sonic, maybe a ground pound, and the power-pellet being thrown could be a neat attack, but his most iconic ability is still eating things, and I just can't really see him working properly in Smash.
Sonic's most iconic ability is rolling into a ball, and he worked just fine.
As much as people try to ignore The Ghostly Adventures, there IS the option of Pac using the various abilities from the Power Berries for specials while leaving the classic Pac-Man moves such as the Rev Roll and Butt Bounce as normal moves.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, because we really desperately need to be reminded that the dweeb Pac-man from that ****ty cartoon exists. WILL REALLY MAKE PEOPLE PLAY THE GAME AMIRITE GUIZE?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sonic's most iconic ability is rolling into a ball, and he worked just fine.
As much as people try to ignore The Ghostly Adventures, there IS the option of Pac using the various abilities from the Power Berries for specials while leaving the classic Pac-Man moves such as the Rev Roll and Butt Bounce as normal moves.
Was he able to use anything like his Homing Spin in Brawl in any of his games before he made it into Smash? I haven't really played many Sonic games. That aside, he uses his ball form with his speed, which I thought he is more well known for.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Pac-man got any powers from the Ghostly Adventures, though I didn't mention it because I don't watch the show (overall I don't watch Disney XD that often) but I wouldn't like his design in that show to be used.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Was he able to use anything like his Homing Spin in Brawl in any of his games before he made it into Smash? I haven't really played many Sonic games. That aside, he uses his ball form with his speed, which I thought he is more well known for.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Pac-man got any powers from the Ghostly Adventures, though I didn't mention it because I don't watch the show (overall I don't watch Disney XD that often) but I wouldn't like his design in that show to be used.
Indeed in sonic adventure he had his homing attack (neutral b) might as well leave this here if your interested.

?????????????

Smash Master
I get Pac-Man. Like the 3rd party characters we've seen before, he is the mascot character of his respective company. I, personally, would find Pac-Man underwhelming when compared to Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man. Sure, Pac-Man is an iconic video game character, but what I find less interesting about him is that I don't think he's really going anywhere new. Any new Pac-Man games that have come since Pac-Man have been rehashes of the original game, average minigame party games, poor and forgotten games, and Pac-Man World, which was just okay.

CalumG

Smash Lord
EDIT: dubs

Hey, guys. Guys.

what if

Peach's Toad isn't regular Toad, it's small Toad

and playable Toad is big Toad

It's so flawless. 10/10 you may thank me later. #graspingatstraws

EDIT:

I don't see him getting his own Specials though as he is known for being a man of brute strength and rarely a swords man or user of magical projectiles.
Am I right to assume this is a troll post?

xXBlazeMonkeyXx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xXBlazeMonkeyXx
I get Pac-Man. Like the 3rd party characters we've seen before, he is the mascot character of his respective company. I, personally, would find Pac-Man underwhelming when compared to Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man. Sure, Pac-Man is an iconic video game character, but what I find less interesting about him is that I don't think he's really going anywhere new. Any new Pac-Man games that have come since Pac-Man have been rehashes of the original game, average minigame party games, poor and forgotten games, and Pac-Man World, which was just okay.

in japan announce another Mario Arcade GP DX (its a Pacman crossover Mario racing game)

3DS Roster.png
o3o

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
To be fair, they are trying to rebrand Pac-Man as cool adventure platformer man who eats things. This really is the first time they've really done anything really different with the character. The last time they really innovated Pac-Man was having the sleeping Ghosts in Pac-Man Championship Edition and the Multiplayer Pac-Man arcade games, and those are really great games. I can already tell that Pac-Man and Ghostly Adventures probably won't be the greatest thing in the world, but it does feature something new with the character that they haven't really explored with him previously with the many different types of Power Pellets.

So he is going somewhere different, it's just somewhere I don't think a lot of his original fanbase is too fond of.

Also:

Another Pyrosphere picture without Ridley.
But really, who woulda thought Ridley bursted a hole into an open Hallway?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The thing with Pac-Man is that you have to consider not only the gaming fan-base that he may have or lack, but the way the general public as a whole would react.

Brawl introduced many people to gaming, and many of those people I know only got into it because Mario was in the cover and Sonic was in it too. It's like a gateway drug. And as history has shown, the name Pac-Man pretty much is synonymous with video games. I really would be impressed if they don't take advantage of this now to make Smash more of a gateway drug for people to get into the gaming franchises involved.

And if it's a matter of uniqueness or movesets, frankly I'm not that worried considering the stuff Sakurai has pulled before. If we think about it, Bowser technically had only fire to work with and the rest is original moveset. Even if Pac-Man only has eating to work with, I'm sure they'll be able to think of more.

Oh yea, glad to be back!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I've got mixed feelings on this roster.
+ Third DK Rep is a big thing. Whether it's Dixie or King K. Rool is debatable, but one of them is bound to show up.
+ Palutena, Little Mac, Takamaru, Mewtwo.
+ Adding Lip is certainly a plus for me. I really think she has a shot, with Panel de Pon being pretty well referenced in the previous two games.
48 Characters is reasonable.
I'm indifferent to Matthew and Isa, but I think Isaac and Saki are the more realistic choices. Especially in Matthew's case, and a Sin and Punishment character is something I don't see likely at all.
I don't think Chrom will replace Ike, but I see the possibility.
- You've got 5 Mario characters, 3 Zelda characters, and 4 Pokémon characters. I'm not saying balance is necessary, but you should at least consider that if 5 Mario characters are a possibility, there is absolutely no reason for there to not be 5 Pokemon characters.
- That being said, you've demeaned the Zelda franchise without a fourth rep to take up Toon Link's mantle. I'm not saying that Toon Link should be brought back, but the franchise should remain 4 characters at the very least.
- Paper Mario as your fifth Mario character? I see why, but the likes of Bowser Jr. and Toad (or uh, Blue Toad...?) flatten his chances in the long run.
- Goroh's got little to no shot, F-Zero probably will remain to be represented by Falcon alone.
- Absolutely no reason for Snake to not return.

Overall it's a nice roster. It sorta has what everybody is expecting with it's own little flavor added in.

---

I personally think it's nice when things go for a change like that, but as a general rule longtime fans hate when the thing they like changes rather drastically.
It certainly is nice to happen from time to time, especially for Pac-Man right now. I'm happy that they're trying to change him up, instead of letting him slowly die off by releasing rehashes of the same game. (Unlike a certain Blue Man we all know of...)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Wait what.
Although I see this as a possibility but mmmmmm. You know, it's not that impossible for it to be Blue Toad. Not saying that he's likely or anything
I thought Blue Toad was the straw all of the Toad supporters in denial have been grasping at lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom