• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool to see everyone again, it has been a while. Both for me being on the Smashboards as well as the fact the boards were down.

I have a question to ask everyone else though, are you getting logged out every time you change the page? Or is it just me? Because it is actually quite annoying. Thanks. :)

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Quick question for you all since this is coming up soon. I'm designing Meowth's moveset, but I'm not sure about a Final Smash since Meowth's move-pool doesn't exactly have many powerful finishing moves to choose from. I was thinking something like Faint Attack, working something like X-23's Level 3 HC from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but I'm a little low on ideas ATM.
Maybe Team Rocket comes out and sends out there Pokemon, being alot like the enemies from Subspace Emissary?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Quick question for you all since this is coming up soon. I'm designing Meowth's moveset, but I'm not sure about a Final Smash since Meowth's move-pool doesn't exactly have many powerful finishing moves to choose from. I was thinking something like Faint Attack, working something like X-23's Level 3 HC from Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but I'm a little low on ideas ATM.
Imo, a super powered version of Pay day :p

@Dragon, other than the constant cloud check, everything is fine on my end.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Maybe something that isn't in his move pool.
I was thinking something like that myself, but then there's so many vague and odd moves that could be used by Meowth for this, the most notable being Gunk Shot, poison's equivalent of Sacred Fire.

Can you post the special moveset? Just to get a grip on what I'm dealing with.

Oh and welcome back!
Standard Special: Pay Day
Side Special: Fury Swipes
Up Special: Aerial Ace
Down Special: Fake Out

And thank you. :)

Maybe Team Rocket comes out and sends out there Pokemon, being alot like the enemies from Subspace Emissary?
That could work, but remember, this isn't designed to be the actual talking Meowth of the anime.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think each of the potential sword users can each reflect a different sword style from history, and thus have a different flavor of sword user. This would allow for a difference between swords styles and emphasis.

Marth: Spanish Fencer
Ike: Roman Gladiator (Antiquity)
Chrom: German School of Fencing
Lucina: Samurai

and thus:
Marth: Speed
Ike: Strength
Chrom: Agility
Lucina: Technique (in Smash, this would be timing and combos)
Not really feeling it, there is generally more colorful options available that would provide more.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
@ Meowth FS - Last Resort is the only thing springing to my mind. In games, it's supposed to get stronger after all other (specials in this case) moves have been used. It's shown as a high-flying body slam type move in the Adventures Manga.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
My Current Roster:

I don't know, I feel better about this one but am not sure yet.

Pokemon got cut down to 4 (removing Zoroark) and Sheriff is added. Three cuts in the end (Wolf, Lucario, and Snake).

While Zelda and Mario have 5 reps, I kind of thought how the main three technically have 6. When it comes to Mario the main Mario cast is from Mario to Bowser Jr. The likes of Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi are part of it but also part of their own franchises, thus not actually counting. One of them is still a big influence in the Mario games though, Yoshi (so I in the end count him more Mario than the other two while still counting him as Yoshi's Island). The Zelda roster is simple, there are 5 characters but Sheik basically makes them 6. As for Pokemon, Pikachu,Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo count as one rep each. The Pokemon Trainer counts as three, thus 6 characters. The Pokemon roster will also be heavily X and Y based (updated look and some moves for Pikachu, Jigglypuff gets a slight Fairy makeover, and the Trainer and Mewtwo have Mega-Evolutions as Final Smashes).

Doing this allows room for Sheriff, thus boosting the Retro reps to 5 (and having 2 new reps as what have been seen in the last two games).

16 Newcomers
10 New Franchises (2 Third Party, 2 Retro, 6 Misc).
6 Total Females (+Genderless Pokemon)

I just realized I never critiqued this one.
Anyway, just looking at it, Ghirahim and Isa we've gone over hundreds of times already, also think we've gone over Adult Isaac, but other than that, not much really stands out as bad.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Probably hurt a whole bunch more if it was Slippy replacing Wolf.
That's literally something that's possible that actually deos scare me.
I still think Dixie is more important. Why are people so confident that King K. Rool is going to be playable in Tropical Freeze anyway?

EDIT: His appearance would have no effect as the roster was finalized before the reveal of Tropical Freeze.
doesn't this apply to dixie as well LOLOLOL

Espio264

Smash Ace
Howdy kids! I never thought I'd miss you all so much.
I had so many burning questions while we were gone, but now I've forgotten most of them. But here's one...

The picture of Kirby early last week, Sakurai makes reference to the art style I believe. This picture to me looked like promo art and not a screen shot. I could be wrong. For all I know this is covered in another thread somewhere, but do you guys have any thoughts on that?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
@ Meowth FS - Last Resort is the only thing springing to my mind. In games, it's supposed to get stronger after all other (specials in this case) moves have been used. It's shown as a high-flying body slam type move in the Adventures Manga.
Hotfeet, how about Nasty Plot? I know that it raises Special attack, but it could be used creatively
In one episode, Meowth uses Fury Swipes so quickly and strongly, he creates a tornado.
I think working all this together would be an excellent idea. Thank you for the ideas, I'll be sure to credit you when the video comes out. :) Thankfully Genesect won't be that hard to design after Meowth, I already have the PERFECT final Smash in mind...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Here's my current roster. I'm not getting Maker until I get my new computer.

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

DK:
DK
Diddy
K. Rool
Dixie

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

Paper Mario:
Paper Mario

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jiggs
Mewtwo
Red

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Chrom

Mother:
Ness

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Pikmin:
Olimar

Animal Crossing:
Villager

Punch Out:
Little Mac

Xenoblade:
Shulk

Wii:
Mii
Wii Fit Trainer

Retro:
Ice Climber
G&W
ROB
Takamaru

3rd Party:
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

What do you think?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What 3rd parties have good shots, now that we're on the topic?
Pac-Man & Bomberman. Those are the only 2 I see getting in.

Edit: SHANTAE IN SMASH WOULD BE SO ****ING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T IT JUST HAPPEN!:love:

I figured I'd point this out too, seeing as you tried to put your own words in my mouth. Hypocrite much bro?
The hell are you talking about? I suggested that he LIKELY did that. How did you come to the conclusion that I put words in your mouth, you were very vague.

Here's my roster, 45 characters :grin:

What do you guys think?

1. Harry will NEVER happen in the history of anything related to Super Smash Brothers.
  2. Why I am sitting here telling you that Chrom over Ike will never happen. I don't need to tell you why. You've listened to me to tell you and you understand it completely. So why do you just IGNORE things? If Sakurai came out and said all these characters wouldn't happen, you'd STILL try to convince yourself they will.
  3. SPEAKING OF IGNORING SAKURAI HIMSELF: You KNOW Sakurai came out and said that Diddy & Dixie as a tag team does NOT work. You are ACTUALLY ignoring the creator himself!!!!
  4. Prince Sable screams "Assist Trophy" you know that full well. You think Issac & Little Mac became assist trophies the first time, but Prince Obscure won't. You think Sakurai is going to run into time constraints and put Prince Sable in? You're like the guy on YouTube who posts his videos and disables the comments.
  5. Tom Nook: YOU KNOW, FULL WELL BLUEPIKMIN11!!! And don't use that dumb "AC deserves 2 reps excuse" Characters get added because they are necessary to the representation of the game. We have Villager with moves that represent everything you do in AC. Tom Nook is not necessary and having furniture as a move set is just stupid.
  6. Zoroark over Lucario & Mewtwo will not happen. (though I'd like to see him even if it means the removal of my precious Lucario. I luv them both, but I got a soft spot for darkness)
  7. Pac-Man over Snake? eeeeeeeeehhhhh no. If you keep Sonic then you should keep Snake, that's totally unfair regardless of how iconic he is.
So yeah...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why is everyone so against Pac-Man?
I mean...
He's Pac-Man!
You just answered your own question :troll:
(to elaborate there are so many cool characters in the gaming universe, Pac-Man is one of the uncooliest. I mean out of all the video game characters in existence there are people like Bomberman, Shantae, Bayonetta, Banjo, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd, Chrono, Cloud, Conker, Hell even Glover is cooler.) IMO

Out of all the obtainable ones, Pac-Man would be dissapointing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pac-man doesn't really scream out "want". I mean sure he's a well known character and that's all peaches and cream, but he's not the very first choice that absolutely screams "want" by a long shot. You know, like a Ridley kind of want, or a Sonic kind of want, a choice that is normally unanimously desired by many folks for once reason or another, mainly because people like the idea of the character and will push forward to the bitter end. Pac-man as a whole lacks some sort of coolness factor to push him, and it feels like the only reason why people bring him up is because of people coat tailing on the fact that Nacmo Bandai is working on the next Super Smash Bros.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Pac-man doesn't really scream out "want". I mean sure he's a well known character and that's all peaches and cream, but he's not the very first choice that absolutely screams "want" by a long shot. You know, like a Ridley kind of want, or a Sonic kind of want, a choice that is normally unanimously desired by many folks for once reason or another, mainly because people like the idea of the character and will push forward to the bitter end. Pac-man as a whole lacks some sort of coolness factor to push him, and it feels like the only reason why people bring him up is because of people coat tailing on the fact that Nacmo Bandai is working on the next Super Smash Bros.
I think the only reason other than the ideas of supporting Pac-Man because of Namco Bandai's work on the current title, it's also the fact that he's easily the biggest gaming icon they have, and the only one that really measures up to the likes of Sonic, Snake and MegaMan. I mean sure, Lloyd's fine, Nightmare's amazing, Jin is boring as all hell but somehow popular, and Klonoa is underrated but continued to be remembered by his company, but none of them come close to those three.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
The hell are you talking about? I suggested that he LIKELY did that. How did you come to the conclusion that I put words in your mouth, you were very vague.
You continue to baffle me with your comprehension skills Noah haha. You said the above statement. I said regardless of your above statement, Jiggs got in over Mewtwo. We don't know why, only Sakurai does. We can make conjecture, however, no one knows 100% but Sakurai. Then you accused me of deciding what constitutes how a character is chosen over another....when I didn't. Meaning you put words into my mouth by telling me that I said such and such....when I didn't, because you didn't understand what you just read. Come on meow, defend yourself rationally & don't come off as rude, instead of throwing around accusatory statements. For the forum's sake.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You continue to baffle me with your comprehension skills Noah haha. You said the above statement. I said regardless of your above statement, Jiggs got in over Mewtwo. We don't know why, only Sakurai does. We can make conjecture, however, no one knows 100% but Sakurai. Then you accused me of deciding what constitutes how a character is chosen over another....when I didn't. Meaning you put words into my mouth by telling me that I said such and such....when I didn't, because you didn't understand what you just read. Come on meow, defend yourself rationally & don't come off as rude, instead of throwing around accusatory statements. For the forum's sake.
I have a theory for that if you'll humor me for a moment. The main idea is that it's mainly regarding how easy Jigglypuff is to create as a character. Jigglypuff uses around the same base model as Kirby, and by base model, I mean the creation of a round character in a 3D frame. Jigglypuff also uses the same kind of floating jump and a couple of moves, which could have been recycled from Kirby's moveset as well. Of course, I'm not saying Jigglypuff is a rip-off of Kirby, but they do have their similarities. Mewtwo, however, is a little trickier. His model is larger (Although he's really small for what he's supposed to be) and working in new moves and such, including crafting the hitboxes for holding weapons/items the way Mewtwo does takes longer than others, since it's practically creating a mallet space around Mewtwo to pull an item out of when he picks it up. Maybe it was trickier creating it for items like the Cracker Launcher, who knows? But his character definitely has some characteristics that would take a little more time to put together than that of the other characters.

There's also the possibility that Sakurai and his team simply copied over everything from Melee and just touched up the model with Wii graphics and gave her a final Smash that was simple to create, as it was just simply expanding the model and then shrinking it back down. It was easy to do as there was no new moves given to Jigglypuff other than the final smash.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wow, I don't see what the smart alack attitude is for. If you act like this every time someone misunderstands the implications of your vague comments, then you must be a very unpleasant person to be around in real life. I mean really, you should work on that issue. :ohwell:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pac-man, while certinaly iconic, doesn't really seem to have much potential in my opinion. I mean, his most well known ability is eating. I can't really see that working in Smash with Pac-man, at least in a way that isn't very different from Wario's chomp attack. Kirby steals the powers of who or what he inhales, Yoshi turns his enemies into eggs, but Pac-man eats ghosts and they are reduced to eyes. I haven't played Pac-man World, but I've read that he can throw power-pellets at enemies, and use a Sonic-esque spin dash, and a ground pound like Mario, but I wouldn't want him to have any moves similar to Sonic, maybe a ground pound, and the power-pellet being thrown could be a neat attack, but his most iconic ability is still eating things, and I just can't really see him working properly in Smash.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Wow, I don't see what the smart alack attitude is for. If you act like this every time someone misunderstands the implications of your vague comments, then you must be a very unpleasant person to be around in real life. I mean really, you should work on that issue. :ohwell:
Uhmm. Vague to you perhaps. No need for your attitude in the first place, treat others how you wish to be treated my good sir. And I see you still insulted me, but I'll overlook that. If the trivial argument is done then...
I really don't think Pac-Man will make it anyway. His iconic status is as a 2D Pac-Man, not this 3D platformer abomination. We don't need another G&W-esque character, and he wouldn't even have limbs anyway. Kinda hard to make up a moveset with just a limbless yellow dot. I say a stage or AT at best.

I have a theory for that if you'll humor me for a moment. The main idea is that it's mainly regarding how easy Jigglypuff is to create as a character. Jigglypuff uses around the same base model as Kirby, and by base model, I mean the creation of a round character in a 3D frame. Jigglypuff also uses the same kind of floating jump and a couple of moves, which could have been recycled from Kirby's moveset as well. Of course, I'm not saying Jigglypuff is a rip-off of Kirby, but they do have their similarities. Mewtwo, however, is a little trickier. His model is larger (Although he's really small for what he's supposed to be) and working in new moves and such, including crafting the hitboxes for holding weapons/items the way Mewtwo does takes longer than others, since it's practically creating a mallet space around Mewtwo to pull an item out of when he picks it up. Maybe it was trickier creating it for items like the Cracker Launcher, who knows? But his character definitely has some characteristics that would take a little more time to put together than that of the other characters.

There's also the possibility that Sakurai and his team simply copied over everything from Melee and just touched up the model with Wii graphics and gave her a final Smash that was simple to create, as it was just simply expanding the model and then shrinking it back down. It was easy to do as there was no new moves given to Jigglypuff other than the final smash.
This is the exact thing I think happened with Jiggs. But Noah got mad because he claims I'm not qualified, when all I said was any logical person would think that. I think that's what happened with Puff, she was ported from Melee, given the slightest graphical overhaul, then they gave her an uninspiring Final Smash. It also explains her absence from the SSE. However I don't think Jiggs is ripped from Kirby anymore. In SSB, she definitely was pretty much a clone, save her smaller hitboxes, and different specials. Even her Fighting Polygon Team polygon was almost the exact same as Kirby's. However Melee is when they gave her her own model.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Pacman is in.

He was bigger than Mario at one point. Plus, I think Sakurai would love the challenge of designing him. A moveset based on his one-of-a-kind movements and various pellets would unique.

With this version of Smash being extremely flavorful and having a broader range of character types, Pacman seems like a guarantee to me. But we'll see.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Shantae icon and signature
I'm HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Shantae fan too! :love:

Uhmm. Vague to you perhaps. No need for your attitude in the first place, treat others how you wish to be treated my good sir. And I see you still insulted me, but I'll overlook that. If the trivial argument is done then...
I'm not trying to insult you. I'm trying to prevent pointless and needless arguments I see you basing off incredibly stupid things that wouldn't normally be seen as issues to most people.

This is the exact thing I think happened with Jiggs. But Noah got mad because he claims I'm not qualified.
I don't know what made you think I was mad. But, please do continue to milk this and complain to other people so that we may refrain from moving forward on this forum. Now if you are done I'd like to start a new subject:

What do you guys think is going to happen with Ganondorf's move set? I think he is perfectly fine the way he is, but maybe he will get new Smash Attacks. I don't see him getting his own Specials though as he is known for being a man of brute strength and rarely a swords man or user of magical projectiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom