• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh, I totally get that, but that's exactly why I think Medusa or Hades would be more interesting as playable characters in SSB. If Palutena were the only other important character in Kid Icarus, I wouldn't have a second thought, but because other characters exist in the franchise that DO actively start or participate in fights, I don't think Palutena is super obvious.
I don't think Palutena is obvious either, if anything, Sakurai could pull a curve-ball out of nowhere and add Medusa or Hades, or even Magnus if he wanted to. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If only two characters could be added, then we could have both Palutena AND Medusa so that Kid Icarus would never again require extra representation, but I wouldn't expect that until at LEAST SSB5.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
At this point, no character is seeminly obvious.
Other than Big Little Mac for multiple reasons.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
At this point, no character is seeminly obvious.
Other than Big Little Mac for multiple reasons.
Ridley could be put under that category, especially when you take a look at the way the quote is described, but that's another story for a different day. I wish they'd just tell us though, all this wait is painful. I'd rather it be quick and painful, like ripping off a band-aid.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
eh the only character i could ever imagine getting in over Palutena is Medusa. that said Palutena just makes sense as the 2nd character to me.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ridley could be put under that category, especially when you take a look at the way the quote is described, but that's another story for a different day. I wish they'd just tell us though, all this wait is painful. I'd rather it be quick and painful, like ripping off a band-aid.
The wait for September is going to be gruesome. This is just like what happened with the flying gyroid.
>Oh hey guys look at this cool flying gyroid wow!
>Now look at Olimar's arm patch, we added more detail this time around!
And so the flying gyroid was never mentioned again
ever

Just watch it not end up being in the final game.
I'm calling it.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The wait for September is going to be gruesome. This is just like what happened with the flying gyroid.
>Oh hey guys look at this cool flying gyroid wow!
>Now look at Olimar's arm patch, we added more detail this time around!
And so the flying gyroid was never mentioned again
ever

Just watch it not end up being in the final game.
I'm calling it.
Who can they even add in September? Other than just dropping the bomb on Ridley's fate, who could they add? The last time I checked, no major Nintendo titles come out that month other than Wonderful 101...so...Captain Falcon? I don't know, they look kind of similar in style, I don't see why not. Not to mention I want to see a Falcon Punch in HD.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Who can they even add in September? Other than just dropping the bomb on Ridley's fate, who could they add? The last time I checked, no major Nintendo titles come out that month other than Wonderful 101...so...Captain Falcon? I don't know, they look kind of similar in style, I don't see why not. Not to mention I want to see a Falcon Punch in HD.
Anybody they wanted to, really. It's an open ball game for anybody unless Nintendo decides to make an announcement regarding an unannounced title or something.

They're not based on real dogs and Kawashima. Theyare digital representations of dogs and Kawashima, practically unchanged bar a lower poly count.

It's like I'm talking to a wall here.
I just took notice to this.

Dr. Kawashima in no way would be a logical playable character, I agree with you there. Nintendog is partially understandable though. Regardless of what you say Calum, if it's referred to as a Nintendog, it's a Nintendo character. No way around that.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Dr. Kawashima in no way would be a logical playable character, I agree with you there. Nintendog is partially understandable though. Regardless of what you say Calum, if it's referred to as a Nintendog, it's a Nintendo character. No way around that.
On technicality, they own the name of Nintendogs. The look, mannerisms and even the sounds are public domain from a copyright and intellectual property point of view. 'Nintendogs' belong to Nintendo; but that doesn't make them any more of a Nintendo character.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Seems like the only person you dont fight in kid icarus is viridi...Guess she wouldnt be a good KI rep anyway....
Viridi is my favorite character in the game...that being said I would shoot myself in the foot and make myself believe that RIdley is too big before letting her be playable.
Granted, beating Bowser or Ganondorf up with an 8-year old girl would look hilarious, but I digress.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I just want to point something out to you all.
"That decision-making process starts with Sakurai forming his own thoughts on who should feature in the next Smash Bros., but also factors in various surveys, he said. From there, a list of candidates is refined by evaluating their contribution to the game's roster: 'What is the uniqueness of this character? What does this character bring into the Smash Bros. universe? What do they have that other characters don't? How do they complement or contrast other characters?'" - Polygon's interview with Sakurai.
Let me paraphrase. Initially it's all about what he thinks. Sakurai is an enigma, and is shown to be unpredictable, very few limits. Sakurai also factors in surveys etc., that's fine, but it is relegated to a minor position, as we have seen.
Then, here's the important part, then it's all about uniqueness, all four of those rhetorical questions are just different ways to say the same exact thing. That's what it's all about.

Here's the hazard, people, we take whatever our vision of Sakurai's thought is and conform it to our opinions. Do not do that, it's dangerous and improper. You, Mr. SaturnGamer64, and many others, offhandedly dismiss many good candidates for asinine reasons, and warp Sakurai's opinions to fit your views, to nestle them in safety, to cradle them invincibly from any criticism.
This is a curse and hurdle we must all surpass, I'll not spare you my preaching, sir!
Nintendog, Mr. Kawishima, Dark Pit, Tom Nook, Prince Sable, and AR Man.....................THAT'S who you're defending right now...

You want warping Sakurai's views and dismissing good candidates for asinine reasons, go back to the Bomberman discussion.

You're defending a fighter who is a literal DOG! And a person from REAL LIFE! What's Sakurai gonna do for Nintendog? Do you expect him to record the sounds of an abused dog to add in when Ganondorf beats the **** out of it!? Do people want to see Wario EAT a REAL dog's head? Or a the greatest heroes and villians get their asses whooped by a stupid dog? Do you think Sakurai's gonna be like "Oh, I need a really unique fighter for SSB, but I need it to be a really cool character too...........I know how about a ****ING DOG!"

This post should by my desktop wallpaper.
Great, you're encouraging him to make ignorant choices. Good work, MonK4.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
On technicality, they own the name of Nintendogs. The look, mannerisms and even the sounds are public domain from a copyright and intellectual property point of view. 'Nintendogs' belong to Nintendo; but that doesn't make them any more of a Nintendo character.
Then Sakurai would just improvise or something, I don't know.
I don't even support the idea of a Nintendog, I'm just suggesting it's a possibility.
I'm not even gonna lie Ariand/AEM, I thought we were the same person this whole time basing off of text color.
...we aren't?
Let the alternate account conspiracies commence!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Then Sakurai would just improvise or something, I don't know.
I don't even support the idea of a Nintendog, I'm just suggesting it's a possibility.
On it's own, that makes it unlikely. However, the combination of all the factors makes it impossible. Firstly Nintendogs aren't distinguishable from normal dogs, secondly the image and likeness of dogs isn't Nintendo's property, thirdly no moveset potential (or at least, very forced moveset potential giving even AR Man a run for his money), fourth is that they already appear in the background of a stage (inb4 Donkey Kong and Toon Link), then the fact that there's no fan-support, and of course the big one that Nintendo is a family-friendly company, and no matter how much cartoony violence is in Smash, animal rights activists, concerned parents and the media in general will not be okay with Ganondorf Flame Choking a photorealistic dog and then it making a real-life dog wail as it falls to the floor in hitstun. Each reason alone doesn't completely rule out Nintendog, but put them all together and you've got a character who quite frankly I'd say gets outprioritized by the likes of Reggie Fils-Aime and Big Mac. And that's saying something.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i saw a nintendog on the tv in the back of the nintendogs stage
nintendog confirmed

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
On it's own, that makes it unlikely. However, the combination of all the factors makes it impossible. Firstly Nintendogs aren't distinguishable from normal dogs, secondly the image and likeness of dogs isn't Nintendo's property, thirdly no moveset potential (or at least, very forced moveset potential giving even AR Man a run for his money), fourth is that they already appear in the background of a stage (inb4 Donkey Kong and Toon Link), then the fact that there's no fan-support, and of course the big one that Nintendo is a family-friendly company, and no matter how much cartoony violence is in Smash, animal rights activists, concerned parents and the media in general will not be okay with Ganondorf Flame Choking a photorealistic dog and then it making a real-life dog wail as it falls to the floor in hitstun. Each reason alone doesn't completely rule out Nintendog, but put them all together and you've got a character who quite frankly I'd say gets outprioritized by the likes of Reggie Fils-Aime and Big Mac. And that's saying something.
Alright I see your point. You win.
please don't hurt the puppies ;-;

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, it is true, there's nothing really going for Ninten except some different PSI and three protags triangle.
Yeah, that's not nearly as deserving and creative as as A DOG!

Do the people of SmashBoards ACTUALLY require this to be explained in great detail why this is not near as likely as Ninten.........let alone ANYTHING. I know SmashBoards is common for double standards and bias, but THIS?

I don't buy it, where's the hidden camera?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've never seen the big appeal with Palutena myself. I know she's popular and all around here, but I would find several other Kid Icarus characters more interesting.

Well, other than the personality thing, I personally like that she could potentially have an interesting play-style centered around light attacks, and essentially having more passive specials. What I mean is, things like summoning a Centurion for a Side Special, or creating a column of light around her that could heal her, but slowly cause opponents to take damage if they pass into it, or disorient them due to the brightness. But eh, just my opinion, haha.

Anyway, I decided to update my roster with some of the new icons that Ariand/AEM let people use.

Transformations included, it totals 50 characters. And the roster unintentionally looks like a chalice.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, other than the personality thing, I personally like that she could potentially have an interesting play-style centered around light attacks, and essentially having more passive specials. What I mean is, things like summoning a Centurion for a Side Special, or creating a column of light around her that could heal her, but slowly cause opponents to take damage if they pass into it, or disorient them due to the brightness. But eh, just my opinion, haha.

Anyway, I decided to update my roster with some of the new icons that Ariand/AEM let people use.

Transformations included, it totals 50 characters. And the roster unintentionally looks like a chalice.
Nothing special here. Just a normal roster with only the most requested/expected characters. I'd honestly be shocked if the final outcome of the roster was nothing, but the most expected characters ever.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

This roster works for me.

Given that and it's shape, I shall now call this, the Holy Roster.

Gune

Smash Lord

Your rosters always seem to meet my tastes Opossum that being said there is nothing I can really complain about here its perfect for me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I totally get that, but that's exactly why I think Medusa or Hades would be more interesting as playable characters in SSB. If Palutena were the only other important character in Kid Icarus, I wouldn't have a second thought, but because other characters exist in the franchise that DO actively start or participate in fights, I don't think Palutena is super obvious.
How is that, she is the Zelda of the game. How could it be anyone but her unless Sakurai adds Medusa as a semi-clone of her.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How is that, she is the Zelda of the game. How could it be anyone but her unless Sakurai adds Medusa as a semi-clone of her.
Medusa is a female villain, the most recurring villain in the series, and it might be a nice change to have a female villain playable for once.

Though, for some reason I view Palutena as a better choice. I also personally think it would be rather shameful to not have her playable after appearing in a SSE cutscene in Brawl, as well as in Pit's Final Smash.

I also think it would be shameful to not have Ridley playable after getting a bigger role every new Smash game thus far.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh Good! I didn't miss Noah's final rant of the day. Gotta love how he continues to be ignorant even when proven blatantly wrong, do nothing but bash other's ideals while thinking his are better than that of everyone else's, and accuse everyone of being Divine Deity when they go against his thought pattern. And he most likely blocked me because of butthurt earlier today, but whatever. Did I mention that he also likes to play the victim, just like Divine Deity does? :p Regardless, looks like Noah definitely hasn't changed.

Anyways, I just came back to say that I'm upping the number of choices that are going to be made for the Super Smash Bros Up To You from 10 to 15 because I'm feeling not only bored, but generous as well.

Also, be sure to check out this link for the playlist revolving around 12 very likely newcomers:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiilXmdZxPx9sOv5ICCVUZUDEucsnJXgZ
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiilXmdZxPx9sOv5ICCVUZUDEucsnJXgZ

Leave your request in the comment section of this video, and remember, only one per person, so no multiple choices okay? Thank you for your support and Good night to you all. :)

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I hate people out of Smashboards. Go on any Smash YOUTUBE character prediction not by someone in Smashboards. They make me facepalm so hard it goes through my forehead and hits someone else in the head behind me.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I hate people out of Smashboards. Go on any Smash YOUTUBE character prediction not by someone in Smashboards. They make me facepalm so hard it goes through my forehead and hits someone else in the head behind me.
Oh, I know what you're talking about. We were making fun of one earlier that's considered a serious blight.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Oh Good! I didn't miss Noah's final rant of the day. Gotta love how he continues to be ignorant even when proven blatantly wrong, do nothing but bash other's ideals while thinking his are better than that of everyone else's, and accuse everyone of being Divine Deity when they go against his thought pattern. And he most likely blocked me because of butthurt earlier today, but whatever. Did I mention that he also likes to play the victim, just like Divine Deity does? :p Regardless, looks like Noah definitely hasn't changed.
Aww... come on man. You're a pretty cool guy generally. I say generally, because Noah has his ups and downs but by continually making pot-shots at him you're not really being any better at the moment. Writing a whole paragraph slandering him is pretty much exactly what you were saying earlier about how he doesn't drop things - only now it's you who's not dropping it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Medusa is a female villain, the most recurring villain in the series, and it might be a nice change to have a female villain playable for once.
Yes, but she is not important to the series the way Palutena is, and unfortunately characters aren't going to be picked for being female, villian, or both. If you want Medusa and Palutena together in a roster though, you can stare at my roster and play Melee menu music over it.................and pretend. :love:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yes, but she is not important to the series the way Palutena is, and unfortunately characters aren't going to be picked for being female, villian, or both. If you want Medusa though you can stare at my roster and play Melee menu music over it.................and pretend. :love:
That all aside, I wouldn't really care much if Medusa got in or not.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Aww... come on man. You're a pretty cool guy generally. I say generally, because Noah has his ups and downs but by continually making pot-shots at him you're not really being any better at the moment. Writing a whole paragraph slandering him is pretty much exactly what you were saying earlier about how he doesn't drop things - only now it's you who's not dropping it.
It was more of a test to see whether or not he hid behind the ignore button more or less, and since he hasn't said anything back and knowing he wouldn't be able to resist if he saw what I said, I'm now fairly certain I'm back on the ignore list. So, no harm done right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom