• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I should just add Ninten. It'd be so easy to just redesign him, and it's better than having 3 KI reps.
Ninten looks too similar to Ness, only has one PK ability unique to him (really having Ninten, Ness AND Lucas would make decloning harder), and is overshadowed by Porky, a central villain in two Mother games. I could see Ninten being an assist trophy at best.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Yeah don't expect the final roster to be the "generic", I'm just following this path now, since I expect more surprises.
My main problem is, there's a difference between a surprise, and a stupid choice. Kawashima and Nintendogs are stupid choices.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You must really hate Kid Icarus then.
I think there are series' that need a new character first, AKA Donkey Kong and Metroid, before Kid Icarus gets anywhere near a third character. It's a small series, it doesn't need that much over-representation. The only way we'd even get Palutena at this point is if Sakurai doesn't consider her one of his characters, because in terms of a series standpoint, she isn't. Not to mention I think Hades would make a much better third spot than that of Dark Pit.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Yeah don't expect the final roster to be the "generic", I'm just following this path now, since I expect more surprises.
But every surprise, even the ones like Wii Fit Trainer, make sense in context. I can't think of any context where Nintendog, Prof Layton, Prof Kawashima, Dark Pit and a Chrom/Lucina hybrid would work when paired with a lack of new reps for Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/DK/Metroid. As I say, play it different - being different is good. This is what we call too different, and for little good reason.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think there are series' that need a new character first, AKA Donkey Kong and Metroid, before Kid Icarus gets anywhere near a third character. It's a small series, it doesn't need that much over-representation. The only way we'd even get Palutena at this point is if Sakurai doesn't consider her one of his characters, because in terms of a series standpoint, she isn't. Not to mention I think Hades would make a much better third spot than that of Dark Pit.
Indeed I would love Hades, but I see Dark Pit as the low priority pick for a semi-clone.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yeah, but don't you guys realize they could be fun to play as like Wii Fit Trainer, regardless whether you think those are stupid choice.
I don't think they're stupid choices, I think they're unrealistic choices. Sure, they're creative, but that can only count for so much. I'm going to be the nice guy here and just say to not start hoping for these characters, as there's a good chance your hopes will be broken. My apologies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I wouldn't say that Fire Emblem doesn't deserve three characters, by virtue of that franchise being one of those that has cycling characters and having A LOT of them. The problem here is that Chrom is very redundant though when we already have Marth and Ike.
I was referring to Kid Icarus though.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
But every surprise, even the ones like Wii Fit Trainer, make sense in context. I can't think of any context where Nintendog, Prof Layton, Prof Kawashima, Dark Pit and a Chrom/Lucina hybrid would work when paired with a lack of new reps for Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/DK/Metroid. As I say, play it different - being different is good. This is what we call too different, and for little good reason.
Really Mario and Zelda are perfect as is, and Pokemon just needs to add in Mewtwo. DK and Metroid do need some certain villains in Smash too...

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I should just add Ninten. It'd be so easy to just redesign him, and it's better than having 3 KI reps.

Although some would argue Ninten looks too much like Ness, the real issue I see is cloning. Granted, Lugified clones aren't the worst but I appreciate variety in movesets. Sakurai isn't just going to add more of the same and while it would be a shame Mother 1 wouldn't get a rep, it would be better if everyone's favorite a$$hole made it in Smash Bros. (Pokey)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Eh, Some of the franchises you mentioned are complete to me.

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie
What you said about midna isn't true actually.
Are you kidding me!? :eek: If you look hard enough on deviantart.com, you would notice an abundance of fan art devoted to her, and she was featured prominently in fanfiction. Plus, there's a website that is literally called "Want Midna Back". And she even got her own Wikipedia article! :sonic:

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie
Are you kidding me!? :eek: If you look hard enough on deviantart.com, you would notice an abundance of fan art devoted to her, and she was featured prominently in fanfiction. Plus, there's a website that is literally called "Want Midna Back". And she even got her own Wikipedia article! :sonic:

CalumG

Smash Lord
Really Mario and Zelda are perfect as is, and Pokemon just needs to add in Mewtwo. DK and Metroid do need some certain villains in Smash too...
Mario, Zelda and Pokemon were just examples. The point I was making is that neglecting the characters from the big franchises in favour of fourth-party characters like Dr. Kawashima is no good.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ninten looks too similar to Ness, only has one PK ability unique to him (really having Ninten, Ness AND Lucas would make decloning harder), and is overshadowed by Porky, a central villain in two Mother games. I could see Ninten being an assist trophy at best.
That would be a dumb Assist Trophy, and he has Beam, Hypnosis, and Teleport. Seriously though, you can redesign Pit, you can redesign Ninten.

Indeed I would love Hades, but I see Dark Pit as the low priority pick for a semi-clone.
Oh, hey you want a low priority kick for a semi-clone. Well, in case you left your logic at home:
250px-Charaimg_03m.png

There is a difference between surprising and total Bull ****.

Jacob Listerud

Smash Rookie

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Tell her to get in line with the rest of the minor Zelda Characters that have fan art, fanfiction, smash requests, and Wikipedia Articles. :rolleyes:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't think they're stupid choices, I think they're unrealistic choices. Sure, they're creative, but that can only count for so much. I'm going to be the nice guy here and just say to not start hoping for these characters, as there's a good chance your hopes will be broken. My apologies.
Like I said this (this) Smash could be aiming for popular characters from casual popular series. It's quite easy to note that with just Brain Age and Nintendogs. Every other casual series shouldn't have one IMO. I just don't see Sakurai adding these characters in the next Smash (Smash 5) later on.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
That would be a dumb Assist Trophy, and he has Beam, Hypnosis, and Teleport. Seriously though, you can redesign Pit, you can redesign Ninten.

Oh, hey you want a low priority kick for a semi-clone. Well, in case you left your logic at home:
View attachment 2419

There is a difference between surprising and total Bull ****.
Beam is literally the only move unique to him that he has, he can spam it around in an AT. Not waste a perfectly good character spot for another Mother rep like Porky, Masked Man, or Jeff.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Although some would argue Ninten looks too much like Ness, the real issue I see is cloning. Granted, Lugified clones aren't the worst but I appreciate variety in movesets. Sakurai isn't just going to add more of the same and while it would be a shame Mother 1 wouldn't get a rep, it would be better if everyone's favorite a$$hole made it in Smash Bros. (Pokey)
Just give him Beam, Teleport, and Hypnosis and you're all set.

Beam is literally the only move unique to him that he has, he can spam it around in an AT. Not waste a perfectly good character spot for another Mother rep like Porky, Masked Man, or Jeff.
Except you completely ignored the part where I mentioned he has Teleport & Hypnosis. And Masked Man & Jeff getting in before Ninten? Good luck with that.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That may be the case, but Pokemon CANNOT out-represent Mario. Mario is the main Nintendo flagship franchise, if Pokemon is to get five characters, Mario needs five as well. The only question is who do you add, and alot of people vote for different people, some say Bowser Jr, some say Paper Mario, some say Toad, it's all over the place as there's easily no clear-cut winner amongst popularity in these three. Most people believe Bowser Jr. is the most likely though, but only time will tell.

Listen pal, I LOVE Midna. She's my favorite Zelda character, by far, with her adorable appearance and deep and developing personality. But sadly she has no chance in Smash Bros. I'd love to see her in, even as an assist trophy, but as of right now, I'll be glad if they even make a trophy out of her for this new game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not interested in Medusa really, despite logic. Who would make a more fun character, Dark Pit or Medusa.
Medusa, probably because she is a character and not a ****ing pallete swap with an attitude. You seem to be forgetting that she's more recurring too.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Ness could use Teleport as his new Up B and leave PK Thunder unique to Lucas. Hypnosis could be left to Ness. Ninten is a terrible choice for a character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Medusa, probably because she is a character and not a ****ing pallete swap with an attitude. You seem to be forgetting that she's more recurring too.
I wouldn't try reasoning with him Noah. This is the same guy who believes that Dr. Kawashima, world-renowned Neuroscientist and writer, is an intellectual property of Nintendo. You're wasting your time. :p

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Honestly teleport is better for Ness to have (Pk thunder sucks), Ness can use Hypnosis as well rather than a move he can't use, and Ana uses Beam, not Ninten. I think Ness deserves a rework in his moves to make him more... competitive.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't try reasoning with him Noah. This is the same guy who believes that Dr. Kawashima, world-renowned Neuroscientist and writer, is an intellectual property of Nintendo. You're wasting your time. :p
He may be the worst roster maker ever, and never once listened to obvious reason, but at least he's not a **** about it, so we have to give him that. I'm just waiting for him to add Mr. Hanufuda so I can completely lose it.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Honestly teleport is better for Ness to have (Pk thunder sucks), Ness can use Hypnosis as well rather than a move he can't use, and Ana uses Beam, not Ninten. I think Ness deserves a rework in his moves to make him more... competitive.
I think Lucas should have a rework and I plan on making one soon.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well then, I think I'm starting to herp my derps. This is what happens when you lurk around here.
I understand why you would assume that I was talking about FE though, I mentioned Chrom in the same post. No need to think that you're herping you derps.

I was talking about why keeping Medusa in SaturnGamer's roster wouldn't change how bland it is.
And Masked Man & Jeff getting in before Ninten? Good luck with that.
Masked Man actually has support. Along with Kumatora and Porky.
EDIT: Allow me to correct that, Masked Man, Kumatora, and Porky actually have notable support.

CalumG

Smash Lord
He may be the worst roster maker ever, and never once listened to obvious reason, but at least he's not a **** about it, so we have to give him that. I'm just waiting for him to add Mr. Hanufuda so I can completely lose it.
Mr. Hanafuda could be passable and even a great character... if it was the final wtf character in an otherwise sane roster. Putting him in this current roster would just be insanity among all the non-Nintendo characters (four third-parties, one fourth party and a dog) and unusual choices.

I'd actually be an advocate for Mr. Hanafuda, but as I say, he'd have to be the sole crazy character in an otherwise standard roster.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I understand why you would assume that I was talking about FE though, I mentioned Chrom in the same post. No need to think that you're herping you derps.

I was talking about why keeping Medusa in SaturnGamer's roster wouldn't change how bland it is.
Masked Man actually has support. Along with Kumatora and Porky.
Kumatora to a lesser extent but still more than Ninten.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Like I said this (this) Smash could be aiming for popular characters from casual popular series. It's quite easy to note that with just Brain Age and Nintendogs. Every other casual series shouldn't have one IMO. I just don't see Sakurai adding these characters in the next Smash (Smash 5) later on.
That could indeed be somewhat the case in that more casual games get more representation, but it shouldn't be overdone. The Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and the Miis are perfect representation of Nintendo's more recent line-ups of more casual games, especially the Miis. But that shouldn't take more priority than filling in the holes in the roster. A third character like K.Rool for Donkey Kong, Samus' main villain for Metroid, the return of Mewtwo, showing off newer IPs like that of Xenoblade, anything outside those aren't exactly necessary, but I wouldn't mind it. The bottom line is that, aside from Ridley and Mewtwo, I don't care what they add, as long as what they add is good and accepted by a majority of the general public.

He may be the worst roster maker ever, and never once listened to obvious reason, but at least he's not a **** about it, so we have to give him that.
At least the guy's not one to outright call something an abomination and be completely and utterly defensive about nothing. What's next, is he the next alt of DivineDeity too? :p Put on your Squidward nose BluePikmin, we're all Squidward/DivineDeity when Noah's around.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I honestly hope Ike doesn't use the sword arm design. The manliness once radiated off of him will no longer rival Captain Falcon.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Kawashima is a better choice than Ridley? That's it, this world has gone so cruel I must commit suicide. :(
Don't let it get to you, this Thread revolves around double standards. People are outraged at Ninten more than Dark Pit and Claim Bomberman is irrelevant and dead when he's on the same relevance status as Mega Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom