• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I can't think of anyone to replace Medusa on my roster

I ain't adding a 5th Zelda
I ain't adding a newcomer franchise because I have 8
If I lower it to 48 I can't think of another person to remove

What should be the assumed reaction if I bring back Ninten? :troll:
I'd have to see your roster again before I could make a suggestion...

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

Last time I redo a roster for one character, man. Last. God damn. Time.
That is until they announce a character that isn't in here :D
Anyways, critique? I'll try and defend my choices in the chance you have a problem with some of my decisions.
Green is DLC.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I don't really want to play as a gimpy, sized down, different proportions version of Ridley. It wouldn't feel like I'd actually be playing as Ridley.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
To be perfectly honest, he'd be pretty much all but confirmed if he didn't wear a hat.

I feel a "Random" Icon lurking in the corner...
Perfectly fine roster, I'd like Starfy but always forget about him when I'm making rosters.
Three Kid Icarus reps though? Come on, be real, it's not even extremely likely to receive a second rep, let alone a third.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be perfectly honest, he'd be pretty much all but confirmed if he didn't wear a hat.

Why no K. Rool? :troll:
Pretty good roster overall, just the usual gripes (same as last time really).
Good job, I would be okay with this (and I'm not being a troll, but I WOULD like K. Rool IN ADDITION to Dixie).

Anyways, critique? I'll try and defend my choices in the chance you have a problem with some of my decisions.
Green is DLC.
I don't like only 3 Zelda reps, no Palutena, or Wonder Red's inclusion, but a pretty good roster overall. Oh, I consider Zelda/Sheik one, so it's 3 reps in my eyes.

Edit: Sigh... Double Post.

Edit 2: I don't like no Falco either.

Edit 3: Props for the dog.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

If I had to pick someone to remove for you I'd go with either Paper Mario, Starfy or Medusa yet all in all a decent roster, I don't agree with it 100% but it's good enough. Anything more I could say about it would likely be personal preference so it's nice to see how you've matured.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well I missed a lot I guess (some for the better), so what is the discussion at hand?
You'll find out if you go back a few pages and read.
:troll:

View attachment 2413
LOL, yes I'm posting this again. XD
I believe I've said what's need to be said about this roster again but, I think it's vital to add another character that was created after Brawl (Shulk comes to mind). I would at the very least consider him before Starfy and arguably Isaac. Also if you have Little Mac and Pac-Man already why wouldn't you add the Mii?
You also sort of organized the characters in the top row oddly, why aren't the Mario Related characters not next to Mario?

Green is DLC.
Biggest disappointment for me here is the cuts on top of no Palutena.
I also think you're giving Wonder Red too much credit, if he was going to be added in it would have been revealed in the Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct. It was the perfect moment to add hype to the game.
I will commend you for adding Chibi-Robo though, he's somebody I don't think anybody would expect.

I suggest keeping Falco over Krystal at the very least. I have little to no doubt in my mind that anybody that made from Melee to Brawl is completely safe (Except maybe Jigglypuff).
I also would like to mention that you should probably remove Wonder Red in favor of either somebody you cut or Palutena (I would suggest keeping or adding a LoZ character). Otherwise I have no real qualms with this roster other than three retro characters. But I suppose the more the merrier.

...sHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlKsHuLkShUlK...

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I don't like only 3 Zelda reps, no Palutena, or Wonder Red's inclusion, but a pretty good roster overall. Oh, I consider Zelda/Sheik one, so it's 3 reps in my eyes.

Edit: Sigh... Double Post.

Edit 2: I don't like no Falco either.

I've changed my mind on Kid Icarus, maybe I will again once I play Uprising.
I actually almost put Falco instead of Krystal, almost. Maybe next time I will. I don't like Krystal, and she isn't all that likely, but she works as a fighter.
So now I have to defend Wonder Red.

The Wonderful 101 is a brand new Nintendo IP that is being pushed by them A LOT. They have a demo out for it, it got a dedicated Nintendo Direct, it will have a panel at PAX Prime which is coming up, and Nintendo hopes to target new audiences with it. Why would the main protagonist of that game, Wonder Red, not have a shot in Smash Bros.? Hell, he can borrow attacks from other Wonderful 101 members by using a whip, a giant gun, a hammer, hacking devices, claws, a giant sword, and of course, his signature Giant Red Fist.

As for the "too new" argument, was Lucario not new when Brawl was in the development? By the time Smash 4 comes out, people would also have more time to settle with the Wonder Red character and his game. People also want Shulk, Dillon, and Chrom in Smash 4, are they not new? Heck, even the Wii Fit Trainer is relatively new.

Give Wonder Red a chance, people. This guy fits the bill.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I believe I've said what's need to be said about this roster again but, I think it's vital to add another character that was created after Brawl (Shulk comes to mind). I would at the very least consider him before Starfy and arguably Isaac. Also if you have Little Mac and Pac-Man already why wouldn't you add the Mii?
You also sort of organized the characters in the top row oddly, why aren't the Mario Related characters not next to Mario?
Shulk was actually going to be on there instead of Pac-man (Who's vey probable on getting cut at this point.) Also, the "sub-Mario characters" don't need to be by Mario.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I only have 49 Characters, ****ing deal with it.

Veterans: 35
Newcomers: 14
Semi-Clones: 7
Females: 8

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So now I have to defend Wonder Red.

The Wonderful 101 is a brand new Nintendo IP that is being pushed by them A LOT. They have a demo out for it, it got a dedicated Nintendo Direct, it will have a panel at PAX Prime which is coming up, and Nintendo hopes to target new audiences with it. Why would the main protagonist of that game, Wonder Red, not have a shot in Smash Bros.? Hell, he can borrow attacks from other Wonderful 101 members by using a whip, a giant gun, a hammer, hacking devices, claws, a giant sword, and of course, his signature Giant Red Fist.

As for the "too new" argument, was Lucario not new when Brawl was in the development? By the time Smash 4 comes out, people would also have more time to settle with the Wonder Red character and his game. People also want Shulk, Dillon, and Chrom in Smash 4, are they not new? Heck, even the Wii Fit Trainer is relatively new.

Give Wonder Red a chance, people. This guy fits the bill.
The major problem is that his only shot was being revealed with that Nintendo Direct you mentioned. The other major problem is that the characters you're comparing Wonder Red to have been in games available to the public before Smash began production. They had an idea of what the public thought of those characters and if those games did well enough to warrant a big enough audience to entice. Wonderful 101 hasn't even been released yet, and we're already within a year of Smash's development. Had the game come out sooner, I would fully agree that he's a possibility but it's too late for him now.
Shulk was actually going to be on there instead of Pac-man (Who's vey probable on getting cut at this point.) Also, the "sub-Mario characters" don't need to be by Mario.
Oh okay.
They don't need to, but it just makes sense that they do.

"I'm about to unleash my rage."

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Afraid Noah's right. It's not a new IP it's a 3rd party exclusive.
No, actually. Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101 IP, it's just being made by a third-party developer, Platinum Games. Nintendo can have anyone from Retro to Miyamoto make a Wonderful 101 game. Bayonetta 2 on the other hand, another game by Platinum, isn't owned by Nintendo, but they are funding it.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
The problem is that his only shot was being revealed with that Nintendo Direct you mentioned. The problem is that the characters you're comparing Wonder Red to have been in games available to the public before Smash began production. They had an idea of what the public though of those characters and if those games did well enough to warrant a big enough audience to entice. Wonderful 101 hasn't even been released yet, and we're already within a year of Smash's development. Had the game come out sooner, I would fully agree that he's a possibility but it's too late for him now.
Valid points, fair arguments. Kudos.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

I like it. However, while this is more of a personal nitpick, I think the Mii icon could go on the opposite side of the Random select, just a more aesthetic nitpick. 9/10. All I'll say is that I question Isaac's chances right now.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I was mostly referring to the "being pushed a lot" but there's also that.....
Oh, is it not being pushed by Nintendo? Did it not have a Nintendo Direct dedicated to it? Is it not having a panel at PAX Prime? Did Nintendo not bring it to e3? Is Nintendo not mentioning it in their Wii U lineup?

If I added Shulk I'd have 9 newcomer franchises. That's very unbalanced.
Do you honestly, seriously think Sakurai cares about the amount of newcomer franchises he brings in?
And how is it unbalanced? Because 9 is an odd number?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh, is it not being pushed by Nintendo? Did it not have a Nintendo Direct dedicated to it? Is it not having a panel at PAX Prime? Did Nintendo not bring it to e3? Is Nintendo not mentioning it in their Wii U lineup?
Is Nintendo not doing that with ALL their games!

No, actually. Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101 IP, it's just being made by a third-party developer, Platinum Games. Nintendo can have anyone from Retro to Miyamoto make a Wonderful 101 game. Bayonetta 2 on the other hand, another game by Platinum, isn't owned by Nintendo, but they are funding it.
Wonderful 101 is TOO recent. It hasn't been released yet and the roster was finalized already. Sakurai might be adding a game that could really suck or bomb. It never had any impact on Nintendo or any place in it's history yet. There's nothing to appeal to Sakurai. He's not going to waste an entire slot for someone who may not deserve it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you honestly, seriously think Sakurai cares about the amount of newcomer franchises he brings in?
And how is it unbalanced? Because 9 is an odd number?

1. Yes it is unbalanced and yes he would care.
  2. Unbalanced has nothing to do with the amount of newcomers being an odd number.
You know Wonderful 101 has a really entertaining appeal for Sakurai to consider.
You're being naive again

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Is Nintendo not doing that with ALL their games!

Wonderful 101 is TOO recent. It hasn't been released yet and the roster was finalized already. Sakurai might be adding a game that could really suck or bomb. It never had any impact on Nintendo or any place in it's history yet. There's nothing to appeal to Sakurai. He's not going to waste an entire slot for someone who may not deserve it.
BWAHA! Do you really think whether or not a game "sucks" matters to him? It comes down to personal preference on that. Obviously there is things to appeal to Sakurai with Wonder Red, his style of combat would certainly be more unique than Dixie Kong, Toon Link, Falco, and Wolf. Oh, and how do you know the roster has been finalized, good sir?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If I added Shulk I'd have 9 newcomer franchises. That's very unbalanced.
Sakurai has shown to do whatever the hell he wants to do. If he want 9 new franchises represented, he'll represent 9 new franchises.
Besides if the game is suppose to focus on the Wii, DS, Early 3DS, and Early Wii U lifecycle, why are there no new franchises to help represent that? Sure there is Wii Fit Trainer and the Mii, but they came into existence before Brawl as did the other "New" franchise characters present in your roster.
Valid points, fair arguments. Kudos.
Thank you.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

Even if that is the case, I can't find a definitive answer online but I'll agree with you for now, it's not developed by Nintendo and as such doesn't deserve to be in Smash. Just because Nintendo does own the rights doesn't give it a free pass, every other character comes from a game made by Nintendo or one of it's 2nd parties (apart from Snake and Sonic of course).

Wonder Red should be subject to the same rules as other 3rd parties and doesn't come even close to making the grade under such scrutiny.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

Wonderful roster! No complaints at all! I have three personal preference differences, but other than that, I'd love to see this roster. Well done! Major improvements in the past couple months. :)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that whatever support that is happen now won't really influence much, at best a cameo via Assist Trophy. Most of the influence mattered around 2012 when the games were starting to be worked on, so what applies then will probably be the influenced later. That's not even considering what happened before even that, from taking previous support in the past via polls and using that for consideration towards the next games.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Even if that is the case, I can't find a definitive answer online but I'll agree with you for now, it's not developed by Nintendo and as such doesn't deserve to be in Smash. Just because Nintendo does own the rights doesn't give it a free pass, every other character comes from a game made by Nintendo or one of it's 2nd parties (apart from Snake and Sonic of course).

Wonder Red should be subject to the same rules as other 3rd parties and doesn't come even close to making the grade under such scrutiny.
That means....absolutely nothing at all. Nintendo owns the IP, It's their property. They can do what they want with it. You don't get to make up rules as to why The Wonderful 101 can't be represented. It doesn't matter if Nintendo makes it in-house or not, what matters is that it's on a Nintendo platform. Mother was not made in-house, so clearly it shouldn't be represented, correct? Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't made in-house, shouldn't be in Smash correct? Wait...You do realize Smash Bros. itself isn't developed in-house either right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom