• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
BWAHA! Do you really think whether or not a game "sucks" matters to him?
Yeah, I DO! Do you get to go around saying what does and doesn't matter to him? And it doesn't even matter, Wonderful 101 isn't even released yet so why would Sakurai care about it like he does for all the existent franchises that EARNED it already?

It comes down to personal preference on that. Obviously there is things to appeal to Sakurai with Wonder Red, his style of combat would certainly be more unique than Dixie Kong, Toon Link, Falco, and Wolf. Oh, and how do you know the roster has been finalized, good sir?[/quote]

First off, representing a character is usually more important than representing theirmoves. Sakurai always finalizes the roster really early in development. This is why Super Mario Galaxy and Miis are never mentioned in Brawl (despite the chronicles) and all the Melee characters kept their N64 designs. There was also no mention of Wind Waker, Sunshine, or any of that, games that were released only a year later are never mentioned in Melee.

Sakurai has shown to do whatever the hell he wants to do. If he want 9 new franchises represented, he'll represent 9 new franchises.
Besides if the game is suppose to focus on the Wii, DS, Early 3DS, and Early Wii U lifecycle, why are there no new franchises to help represent that? Sure there is Wii Fit Trainer and the Mii, but they came into existence before Brawl as did the other "New" franchise characters present in your roster.
Thank you.
Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants? Does that mean I should bring back Medusa? :troll:

And if you want representatives for Wii, DS, and 3DS: I got Starfy, Mii, Chrom, and even Wii Fit Trainer.

That means....absolutely nothing at all. Nintendo owns the IP, It's their property. They can do what they want with it.
You'll be lucky if Red is an Assist Trophy.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I only have 49 Characters, ****ing deal with it.

Veterans: 35
Newcomers: 14
Semi-Clones: 7
Females: 8
9/10 for fan appeal, 5/10 for being realistic.

If this came to be the real roster, I think it would keep 95% of Smashboards happy, aside from maybe Mii (although I don't personally take issue with Mii), Dixie over K. Rool and maybe Chrom because Fire Emblem fans will b*tch and moan anyway. I certainly wouldn't have any issues with this roster if it came to pass.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing on this roster that comes as a surprise. Every character, even Stafy and Mii, strikes me as a very 'vanilla, playing it safe' kind of character choice. Sakurai has always thrown in a few wildcards - he suggested in his Melee days that he tries to do half of the newcomers as popular choices, and half of them as unusual characters like Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and the joke character that is Pichu. So whilst this is a good roster in terms of wants, I think in terms of accurate prediction it's playing it a bit too close to fan-desires to strike me as realistic. Oh and it's 49 characters no-cuts which strikes me as too many (I'm not saying he will remove characters but the smart money is pointing in that direction).

So yeah... top-notch for fanservice, could be far better on the realism front.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mother was not made in-house, so clearly it shouldn't be represented, correct? Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't made in-house, shouldn't be in Smash correct?
Technically both were produced by Nintendo, Creatures and Monolith Soft respectively are first party studios.

Unless you're actually referring to the R&D Division studios like Nintendo EAD and Nintendo SPD.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Yeah, I DO! Do you get to go around saying what does and doesn't matter to him? And it doesn't even matter, Wonderful 101 isn't even released yet so why would Sakurai care about it like he does for all the existent franchises that EARNED it already?

First off, representing a character is usually more important than representing theirmoves. Sakurai always finalizes the roster really early in development. This is why Super Mario Galaxy and Miis are never mentioned in Brawl (despite the chronicles) and all the Melee characters kept their N64 designs. There was also no mention of Wind Waker, Sunshine, or any of that, games that were released only a year later are never mentioned in Melee.

Sakurai does whatever the hell he wants? Does that mean I should bring back Medusa? :troll:

And if you want representatives for Wii, DS, and 3DS: I got Starfy, Mii, Chrom, and even Wii Fit Trainer.

You'll be lucky if Red is an Assist Trophy.
None of what you said countered my points. Melee was an early title for the GC, so of course Sakurai didn't have time to incorporate stuff from other GC games, except Pikmin, which was another early title. Also, the Wonderful 101 is actually coming out today for europe, Japan, and Australia, and September 15th for Murica.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

First of all: Within Reason. The only Kid Icarus characters people actually want are Palutena and some Magnus, but I believe his popularity died out a bit.

Second of all: I see you can read, I said new franchises that came into existence after Brawl for the late lifecycle of the Wii, late lifecycle of the DS, early lifecycle of the 3DS, and early lifecycle of the Wii U.
Starfy started on the GBA.
Mii was on the Wii at launch.
Chrom is part of Fire Emblem, not a new IP.
Wii Fit came out two months before Brawl, so it doesn't count either.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
That means....absolutely nothing at all. Nintendo owns the IP, It's their property. They can do what they want with it. You don't get to make up rules as to why The Wonderful 101 can't be represented. It doesn't matter if Nintendo makes it in-house or not, what matters is that it's on a Nintendo platform. Mother was not made in-house, so clearly it shouldn't be represented, correct? Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't made in-house, shouldn't be in Smash correct? Wait...You do realize Smash Bros. itself isn't developed in-house either right?

Smash was originally made my HAL which is a second party, Monolith is now a second party and so was Ape (now creatures which is still second party) and Sora, while originally independent was bought by Nintendo. Read my OP, I said Second parties are fine. Platinum isn't second party and as such many of the people who made the game do not work for Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't own Platinum. Nintendo didn't make Wonderful 101. If Nintendo owned the rights to a franchise but didn't make it, I don't want those franchise characters in Smash. Call me old fashioned but I want most the characters in Smash bros to have been made by Nintendo or a Nintendo owned company. It's a celebration of Nintendo's creative spirit, not of a marriage of convenience for Platinum games.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If Wonder Red were to be in Smash...surely either the Direct or today(the day of release for Japan) would have been the best possible time to reveal him?
Exactly. If we are following by release dates (which with Olimar and Luigi having links to games that just recently come out on their pages suggesting to follow release dates), this would've been the perfect day to reveal Wonder Red. That being said, I think we will only see Assist Trophy potential for him.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
If Wonder Red were to be in Smash...surely either the Direct or today(the day of release for Japan) would have been the best possible time to reveal him?
You're right, it would've, and had it not been for Luigi's reveal before the W101 Direct, I would've totally said that Wonder Red would be revealed there. His chances have decreased since then, and I may very well have him removed from my roster.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Smash was originally made my HAL which is a second party, Monolith is now a second party and so was Ape (now creatures which is still second party) and Sora, while originally independent was bought by Nintendo. Read my OP, I said Second parties are fine. Platinum isn't second party and as such many of the people who made the game do not work for Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't own Platinum. Nintendo didn't make Wonderful 101. If Nintendo owned the rights to a franchise but didn't make it, I don't want those franchise characters in Smash. Call me old fashioned but I want most the characters in Smash bros to have been made by Nintendo or a Nintendo owned company. It's a celebration of Nintendo's creative spirit, not of a marriage of convenience for Platinum games.
You don't want him, but what you want doesn't really matter to Sakurai. Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101, therefore, it is eligible to be in Smash, simple as that so don't try to deny it.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
9/10 for fan appeal, 5/10 for being realistic.

If this came to be the real roster, I think it would keep 95% of Smashboards happy, aside from maybe Mii (although I don't personally take issue with Mii), Dixie over K. Rool and maybe Chrom because Fire Emblem fans will b*tch and moan anyway. I certainly wouldn't have any issues with this roster if it came to pass.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing on this roster that comes as a surprise. Every character, even Stafy and Mii, strikes me as a very 'vanilla, playing it safe' kind of character choice. Sakurai has always thrown in a few wildcards - he suggested in his Melee days that he tries to do half of the newcomers as popular choices, and half of them as unusual characters like Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, and the joke character that is Pichu. So whilst this is a good roster in terms of wants, I think in terms of accurate prediction it's playing it a bit too close to fan-desires to strike me as realistic. Oh and it's 49 characters no-cuts which strikes me as too many (I'm not saying he will remove characters but the smart money is pointing in that direction).

So yeah... top-notch for fanservice, could be far better on the realism front.
If this is what you consider half realistic, I don't want to know what you consider realistic

See this is EXACTLY why I didn't want to remove Medusa! I hate generic, safe played rosters and I'm not going to let people live out their fan dreams through MY roster. I am fully aware Sakurai takes risks. I am NOT going to become one of those people who are piss scared to step outside the approved character list, so you know what:
deal.png

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
If this is what you consider half realistic, I don't want to know what you consider realistic

See this is EXACTLY why I didn't want to remove Medusa! I hate generic, safe played rosters and I'm not going to let people live out their fan dreams through MY roster. I am fully aware Sakurai takes risks. I am NOT going to become one of those people who are piss scared to step outside the approved character list, so you know what:
View attachment 2416
Geno, PMD2 Grovyle, QQQ, and the Pegasus Sisters for Smash.

----

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

I decided to cut down and make a 45 character roster.

Total Characters: 45
Veterans: 33
Newcomers: 12

And yes, I know I can't please everyone, but if I were only aiming to do so, I'd never make an ideal roster, especially since so many people have so many different outlooks.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
You don't want him, but what you want doesn't really matter to Sakurai. Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101, therefore, it is eligible to be in Smash, simple as that so don't try to deny it.

I never said it wasn't eligible. What I am saying is there's more to consider than simply 'Nintendo owns it let's slap it in'. My point is simply if Wonderful 101 wasn't made by Nintendo and Super Smash Bros is a celebration of all things Nintendo. In my eyes I want my smash characters to have been created by Nintendo and if not they need a very good reason.

By all means keep him on your roster. What I think isn't necessary what Sakurai thinks but neither is what you think. Agree to disagree.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I never said it wasn't eligible. What I am saying is there's more to consider than simply 'Nintendo owns it let's slap it in'. My point is simply if Wonderful 101 wasn't made by Nintendo and Super Smash Bros is a celebration of all things Nintendo. In my eyes I want my smash characters to have been created by Nintendo and if not they need a very good reason.

By all means keep him on your roster. What I think isn't necessary what Sakurai thinks but neither is what you think. Agree to disagree.
Yeah, Smash Bros. is a celebration of everything Nintendo! So The Wonderful 101 would fit just right in, because it's owned by Nintendo! Ain't dat great?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

View attachment 2416
Doesn't change the fact that the only "new" character is Chrom, which is already boring as it is.
So adding in one character for a franchise that doesn't need three doesn't make it less boring in the slightest.

I decided to cut down and make a 45 character roster.

Total Characters: 45
Veterans: 33
Newcomers: 12

And yes, I know I can't please everyone, but if I were only aiming to do so, I'd never make an ideal roster, especially since so many people have so many different outlooks.
yes more skullgirls avatars
It's really good for a cut roster. The only real disappointment here is that all of your other characters are pretty predictable, save for Sukapon and potentially Takamaru for the common gamer. Otherwise it's really good.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

Ok sorry, Monolith soft is now a Nintendo first party studio after Nintendo buying into it and Creatures Inc is a subsidiary, on the same level as Retro studios.

Edit: In fact done more research and they're both considered first party studios so even more attached to Nintendo than I originally thought.

Gune

Smash Lord
But it depends on what people see as "possible".
Most people didn't think the Wii Fit Trainer was a possible choice until the reveal.
Funny how I told my sister wiifit trainer was getting in smash to replace Marth(her favorite guy ever) just to play with her as a joke and when the trailer came on she literally started crying.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A new roster, now it extends to a preferable 49 characters:
(55 with transformations) ((Again pretty much every paired character Zelda/Sheik esque)

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:
- Dark Pit is added as an late semi-clone. Remember the pic where Sakurai showcased Nintendo figures featuring Dark Pit on Twitter, I may have
- Lucas is added back to the roster, I think it's fine for the moment that Mother can have 3 characters.
- Yes, I added Dr. Kawashima, I think the column of Nintendo casual series made it look really neat. I think this Smash is aiming to get characters from popular casual series.
- Wonder Red is added, because of the interest of Platinum Games of having one of their characters be in Smash.
- Pretty much some of these inclusions are based on sources interfering with Sakurai and another company.
I think this is the roster I think Sakurai is aiming for. What do you think?

CalumG

Smash Lord
Dogs and neuroscientist Ryuta Kawashima are not Nintendo characters.

C'mon man you're trolling on purpose now. You can include any casual franchise you like, but if they're not Nintendo characters why bother

Gune

Smash Lord
(55 with transformations) ((Again pretty much every paired character Zelda/Sheik esque)

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:
- Dark Pit is added as an late semi-clone. Remember the pic where Sakurai showcased Nintendo figures featuring Dark Pit on Twitter, I may have
- Lucas is added back to the roster, I think it's fine for the moment that Mother can have 3 characters.
- Yes, I added Dr. Kawashima, I think the column of Nintendo casual series made it look really neat. I think this Smash is aiming to get characters from popular casual series.
- Wonder Red is added, because of the interest of Platinum Games of having one of their characters be in Smash.
- Pretty much some of these inclusions are based on sources interfering with Sakurai and another company.
Its.....Different? Yeah lets go with that... but I doubt this what sakurai is going for.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:
Like that time Kamiya told Smash fans to f*** off?
Either way, still don't see Dark Pit, Nintendog, Kawashima, or Layton happening. Wonder Red is still an iffy choice, but acceptable. Still don't think Mother gets 3 characters, Lucas and Ness represent the series fine.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Like that time Kamiya told Smash fans to f*** off?
Either way, still don't see Dark Pit, Nintendog, Kawashima, or Layton happening. Wonder Red is still an iffy choice, but acceptable. Still don't think Mother gets 3 characters, Lucas and Ness represent the series fine.
He told Smash fans to back off because of Bayonetta.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm not really trolling, I really consider these guys NIntendo characters.
You might consider them to be but they're not; plain and simple. A representative of a real-life person and a representative of a real-species are not, and will not ever be 'Nintendo characters'. If you want a whole row of casual characters, put Mii and Vince from Art Academy on that row instead.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:

That's a lot of 3rd Party characters...

Dark Pit is ridiculous because he's better off as a alt color for Pit.

I don't think Pokey is likely, but I would welcome him.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:
oahal.jpg

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:

EDIT: Divine Deity could make a better roster, maybe even defend it better. I don't believe for a second that you are being serious.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:
Roster number is okay I suppose. Nothing wrong with Character organization other than Fox being on the bottom for some reason on your starter roster.
As for characters...
What do you mean by this at the end? What does "I may have" mean? Dark Pit's pretty unneeded considering that he was already a palette swap in Brawl. What's stoping him from being one again?
- Three Mother characters is sorta pushing it, but not impossible by any means.
- Dr. Kawashima AND Nintendog? Casual characters are okay (But isn't that what Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are suppose to be) but that's far too much. Adding either one of those two is already kind of pushing it, but both? I see a Brain Age stage at the very least, but not Kawashima making it in playable. Nintendog is okay I suppose. But Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and even the Mii are really the only "casual" gaming characters we need.
- We just had a discussion about why Wonder Red's chance has been lost, I suggest reading it.
- I'm a big fan of Layton, so I support that completely.

Overall, it's pretty good. But you can't cater specifically to casual gamers, Sakurai said his goal was to make a game would be pleasant for both casual and hardcore gamers. This would naturally have to do with roster picks as well.
so im gonna suggest shulk again because shulk

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

Starting Roster:

Full Roster:

A few notes:

-Dixie Kong and Diddy duo ain't happening, Chrom and Lucina duo ain't happening. Sakurai is already having trouble implementing the Ice Climbers in the 3DS version, more duos will not happen, and having Dixie slapped on Diddy would take away from his moveset.
-Dark Pit, not only an unlikely third KI character, but a literal clone at that. Dark Pit exists because of a color palette for Pit in Brawl.
-We've gone over how Nintendog and Dr. K won't happen. I will say that I wouldn't mind a Nintendog character but the 3DS stage is a hinder to it.
-Professor Layton and not Snake

I am also noticing a lack of Ridley here. Dark Pit but no Ridley...seriously? I get it's your roster...

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

EDIT: Divine Deity could make a better roster, maybe even defend it better this is an abomination. II don't believe for a second that you are being serious.
Are you really still ******** about Divine Deity? Let it go man, he's a troll, and the fact that you continue to hold onto his existence, and even accuse me of being his alt account (Which is absolutely hilarious by the way) is just blatantly pathetic.

Wait a second...more Nintendogs talk? Go back to talking about DD! ANYTHING is better than what I had to sit through last night! D8

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't change the fact that the only "new" character is Chrom, which is already boring as it is.
So adding in one character for a franchise that doesn't need three doesn't make it less boring in the slightest.
I wouldn't say that Fire Emblem doesn't deserve three characters, by virtue of that franchise being one of those that has cycling characters and having A LOT of them. The problem here is that Chrom is very redundant though when we already have Marth and Ike.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I should just add Ninten. It'd be so easy to just redesign him, and it's better than having 3 KI reps.

CalumG

Smash Lord
No Ridley, two new Kid Icarus reps but no new DK reps (tacking a character onto another one doesn't count, it just degrades them both), Dark Pit in general, Nintendog, Kawashima, a new Mother rep, Chrom and Lucina again paired together for no reason, four third-parties, all first gen Pokemon, Prof. Layton, oh my.

I criticized SaturnGamer's roster for playing it too safe but... this is just the polar opposite. There's such a thing as being different for the sake of different - and this is definitely it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I should just add Ninten. It'd be so easy to just redesign him, and it's better than having 3 KI reps.
You must really hate Kid Icarus then.

No Ridley, two new Kid Icarus reps but no new DK reps (tacking a character onto another one doesn't count, it just degrades them both), Dark Pit in general, Nintendog, Kawashima, a new Mother rep, Chrom and Lucina again paired together for no reason, four third-parties, all first gen Pokemon, Prof. Layton, oh my.

I criticized SaturnGamer's roster for playing it too safe but... this is just the polar opposite. There's such a thing as being different for the sake of different - and this is definitely it.
Yeah don't expect the final roster to be the "generic", I'm just following this path now, since I expect more surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom