• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Louie G. Just a word of advice, use the edit button if you want to make any additions to your posts.
Thanks, and I did.
If you can't tell, I'm new here.

Yes Chrom and Lucina. I forgot to mention.
I can see that happening, that would be pretty interesting. I've never thought about that, but come to think of it, it's a really good idea.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Okay, I may have been wrong about the clones, but I think it would be very smart to give me unique movesets.
thats personal opinion. first off, there's no reason the characters already established in Smash couldnt be de-cloned even further. It already happened with Luigi, Falco is on his way there and hopefully characters like Ganandorf and Toon Link could reach that as well.
secondly, in some cases it makes coomplete sense for the characters to play similarly. Fox Wolf and Falco should have similar specials. they are from the same universe, share the same weapons etc. and the Links, well c'mon it is still a Link. they should play a lot alike as far as specials go.
third of all, these characters earned their spots. the alternatives commonly suggested are frankly steps down as far as importance and notoriety are concerned

i too want characters to be more unique, but assuming they'll be dropped as opposed to being made more unique is presuming to much.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I can see that happening, that would be pretty interesting. I've never thought about that, but come to think of it, it's a really good idea.
Ah. Here's some advice.

When you ant to add another quote to your post without double posting, just edit your old post and add the quote inside it.

It goes like this:

-Right-click "reply" on the post you want to quote (the yellow word on the bottom-right corner) and open in new tab.
-Select the quoted post in tab 2, close tab 2, and paste the quote on your own post in tab 1.

Kinda hard to explain, but it's useful.

----

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Ah. Here's some advice.

When you ant to add another quote to your post without double posting, just edit your old post and add the quote inside it.

It goes like this:

-Right-click "reply" on the post you want to quote (the yellow word on the bottom-right corner) and open in new tab.
-Select the quoted post in tab 2, close tab 2, and paste the quote on your own post in tab 1.

----
Just tell him to go to the "Help" section and go to "BB Code".

Louie G.

Smash Hero
thats personal opinion. first off, there's no reason the characters already established in Smash couldnt be de-cloned even further. It already happened with Luigi, Falco is on his way there and hopefully characters like Ganandorf and Toon Link could reach that as well.
secondly, in some cases it makes coomplete sense for the characters to play similarly. Fox Wolf and Falco should have similar specials. they are from the same universe, share the same weapons etc. and the Links, well c'mon it is still a Link. they should play a lot alike as far as specials go.
third of all, these characters earned their spots. the alternatives commonly suggested are frankly steps down as far as importance and notoriety are concerned

i too want characters to be more unique, but assuming they'll be dropped as opposed to being made more unique is presuming to much.
You're absolutely right. I've actually given that thought, but I guess I forgot. Obviously the characters from Star Fox should play similarly, and Link is still Link.

Well, I gave you a new TL moveset. I'll try doing Wolf and Falco later.
Lol, I didn't mean me, I meant them. Sorry for the confusion.
Embarrass

Edit: Although your Toon Link moveset sounds good.
Edit 2: Them as in clones,

Ah. Here's some advice.

It goes like this:

----
I think I got it.
Thanks.

Edit: By the way, I'm just posting separately in response to different people. Should I be doing that, or what?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I may just be standing up for my man Luigi here, but he is hardly even a Semi-Clone anymore. Sure, the fireballs are, and they still share the Super Jump Punch, but Luigi has the Fire Jump Punch as well.
I really don't think Luigi really deserves to be called any kind of clone anymore.

Edit: They=Mario and Luigi
...I am just now noticing your name/what it refers to, and am saddened at my slowness.

I actually haven't thought of Luigi as a clone since 64, nor do I mind that he's (intentionally) similar to Mario. I was just pointing out that the similar moveset thing probably doesn't matter to anyone but us speculation-junkies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
...I am just now noticing your name/what it refers to, and am saddened at my slowness.

I actually haven't thought of Luigi as a clone since 64, nor do I mind that he's (intentionally) similar to Mario. I was just pointing out that the similar moveset thing probably doesn't matter to anyone but us speculation-junkies.
I got it, and it's fine. I understand the whole unique moveset thing as well, and would definitely prefer thunderhand to Luigi's green fireballs, to further differentiate Mario and Luigi.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OOOOOOH, I get it. Louie G = Luigi.

Man, I'm slow, too...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So about the roster, how many retro characters do you think we'll be getting?
I see Wii Fit Trainer being the Game and Watch of SM4SH, so I only think one, who would be Takamaru.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I see Wii Fit Trainer being the Game and Watch of SM4SH, so I only think one, who would be Takamaru.
they could have much more if they wanted. i think its still very possible to get 2 where i would hope for Mach Rider. but ideally i would hope for 3 with Takamaru, Mach Rider and Lip. maybe even Muddy Mole (personal preference). frankly there are just more notable retros than newer series.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
I think we'll get 1 or 2. Takamaru has an incredibly high chance, and is the ideal choice for another retro character. However, another cool choice would be Sheriff, since he had no appearances in anything but his own game(I forgot what it was called).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
they could have much more if they wanted. i think its still very possible to get 2 where i would hope for Mach Rider. but ideally i would hope for 3 with Takamaru, Mach Rider and Lip. maybe even Muddy Mole (personal preference). frankly there are just more notable retros than newer series.
I think we'll get 1 or 2. Takamaru has an incredibly high chance, and is the ideal choice for another retro character. However, another cool choice would be Sheriff, since he had no appearances in anything but his own game(I forgot what it was called).
I would love any of those retro characters. Takamaru seems to have the best shot, and Mach Rider has a pretty good chance. It would be very interesting to play as a character that is always on their bike (that's how I hope he is, not Cap. Falcon clone). Lip and Sheriff are also good options, although you might have to get rid of the flower as an item. Muddy Mole would be terrific IMO.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, so many double posts on this page. (-_-);

And just putting it there, if you double post, just report it. I'll gladly delete or merge your posts. (^_^)

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
I would love any of those retro characters. Takamaru seems to have the best shot, and Mach Rider has a pretty good chance. It would be very interesting to play as a character that is always on their bike (that's how I hope he is, not Cap. Falcon clone). Lip and Sheriff are also good options, although you might have to get rid of the flower as an item. Muddy Mole would be terrific IMO.
Indeed, Muddy Mole would make me very happy. He needs much more love.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man, so many double posts on this page. (-_-);

And just putting it there, if you double post, just report it. I'll gladly delete or merge your posts. (^_^)
Sorry about that...
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know if reporting meant me getting banned or not. :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I think 2-3 more is the appropiate ammount. 3-4 Being off new series *not included the already revealed trio*.

MY GUESS:
-Mach Rider
-Takamaru
-Balloon Fighter (despite the Villager argument. Many characters have shown to share at least one move with someone else)

MY WANTS:
-Mike Jones
-Duck Hunt Dog
-Takamaru
(but I like all of the above as well, so I'd be pretty alright with them too!)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alright... I guess I've waited long enough to get a taste of my own medicine:

Okay so a few things; I've gone for some unusual things here obviously, thought it'd be more interesting to see and critique.

Feel free to lay it on me. Tried to include a few oddities, but I think I know what's going to get said already about a few things. Just hope I didn't accidentally cut anyone from Brawl(aside from Puff, but Meowth is more personal preference than what I believe will happen).

What do you think and if by some miracle this turned out to be the real roster how would you feel about the odder inclusions?

Edit: I wanted to include Andy from Advance Wars too, but can't see a good spot for him to go...;;

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Okay so a few things; I've gone for some unusual things here obviously, thought it'd be more interesting to see and critique.

Feel free to lay it on me. Tried to include a few oddities, but I think I know what's going to get said already about a few things. Just hope I didn't accidentally cut anyone from Brawl(aside from Puff, but Meowth is more personal preference than what I believe will happen).

What do you think and if by some miracle this turned out to be the real roster how would you feel about the odder inclusions?

Edit: I wanted to include Andy from Advance Wars too, but can't see a good spot for him to go...;;
Good list. I won't insult any of your personal wants, I threw some of mine into my roster after all, but I doubt Dillon gets in, as he would, in fact, play similarly to Sonic.
I also don't see 4 Fire Emblem reps happening (without Lyn), but hey, you never know.
Overall, I like your list, and agree with many choices, although I'm not really a fan of the "no cuts" idea that people have going on.
Great job though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My top retro picks (in terms of want) are Takamaru, Donbe & Hikari, and Lip.

Unfortunately, any retro not named Takamaru or Mach Rider are really unlikely. :ohwell:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My top retro picks (in terms of want) are Takamaru, Donbe & Hikari, and Lip.

Unfortunately, any retro not named Takamaru or Mach Rider are really unlikely. :ohwell:
I sorta get Takamaru with Nintendoland, but what's bought Mach Rider's popularity up? Unless he's in Nintendoland too and I missed it...;;

Good list. I won't insult any of your personal wants, I threw some of mine into my roster after all, but I doubt Dillon gets in, as he would, in fact, play similarly to Sonic.
I also don't see 4 Fire Emblem reps happening (without Lyn), but hey, you never know.
Overall, I like your list, and agree with many choices, although I'm not really a fan of the "no cuts" idea that people have going on.
Great job though.
Honestly I'm in two minds about the No Cuts thing too. On the one hand, I don't think Mewtwo or Roy should have been cut from Melee at all(and probably wouldn't have been if not for time restraints), but on the other I hypocritically don't mind a few of the Brawlers leaving. I'd want Ike to stay at least from the list of normal "to be cut" characters.

For Fire Emblem all I really want is Roy and Ike, but Marth is uncuttable, and Chrom/Lucina/Robin is quite likely. I'd not be against Lyn's inclusion personally either.

Thank you for the review.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I sorta get Takamaru with Nintendoland, but what's bought Mach Rider's popularity up? Unless he's in Nintendoland too and I missed it...;;
Sakurai said that he would love Mach Rider to be a character. Back in the Melee days, he said it was his favorite character idea.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
If we are going with retro they are in my sig for vote and if we are going with newcomers again they are in my sig.

Retro:
Donbe and Hikkari (Double Team for the win)
Hakkun
Prince Sable
Marvelous Team (Dion, Max and Jack)
Tin Star (Wild West)
Harry (That boxing ring screams more boxers)
Mach Rider (I see a bright future if this character is reborn)

.n_n.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ever since ROB popped up, I've been wondering if Sakurai would go to another famous Nintendo peripheral to get inspiration from.

...I'm thinking....
The NES Zapper.

It had a pretty decent library of games, and probably could be represented by ONE of its characters.

For example we have the most (in)famous one:

And others many people don't talk about much (or at all)

Gumshoe

Wild Gunman

the Gangster from Hogan's Alley

Sorry for all the images. It's pretty rare that we discuss retro charactes, and I tend to go overboard when I get to discuss this topic. :)
(Of course, MAYBE the Wii Fit Trainer kind of already represents SSB4's peripheral, the Balance Board)

My idea would be that all of these "Zapper" characters are somehow conglomerated into one.

Maybe you use Duck Hunt Dog, and Gumshoe is part of his moves, or the other way around.
A Side+B would pop up one of those villains from Hogan's Alley (to use as cover-wall, and launch opponents standing where it pops up),
and a B-Down would be a long-ranged counter attack (inspired by Wild Gunman) that pierces opponents in a straight line.

I'd be pretty excited to have a character like this, to be honest. I was probably still a toddler when these games came out, but I still have a great interest in them all. Did manage to play Duck Hunt, obviously, and I know Wild Gunman from Back to the Future 2, and I've only seen images and small clips from the rest.

Anyway... Zapper characters... likely? Likely as a curve-ball?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
MAch Rider is just overall one of the most notable retro series left. being relatively successful, having international release, getting a Microgame in Warioware Twisted, and being the spiritual predasessor to to F-Zero. honestly if Little Mac hadnt got that game on the Wii he would be in almost the exact position as him for the retro spot. and yeah Sakurai has apparently expressed interest in the series

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Let's see....

- Minimal cuts from Brawl: props for that.

- 4 Fire Emblem characters is unlikely, imo, but I wouldn't mind.

- Duck Hunt Dog is an odd choice. :p I'm okay with him, personally, but I think he's an unpopular choice for a retro.

- I do think Dillon has a chance of making it actually. His similarities with Sonic end at rolling. He actually gives off a different vibe compared to Sonic.

Overall, I like it. 8/10

I was just going by the general consensus here. I don't really know the reason why he's considered likely around these parts. But eh.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ever since ROB popped up, I've been wondering if Sakurai would go to another famous Nintendo peripheral to get inspiration from.

...I'm thinking....
The NES Zapper.

It had a pretty decent library of games, and probably could be represented by ONE of its characters.

For example we have the most (in)famous one:

And others many people don't talk about much (or at all)

Gumshoe

Wild Gunman

the Gangster from Hogan's Alley

Sorry for all the images. It's pretty rare that we discuss retro charactes, and I tend to go overboard when I get to discuss this topic. :)
(Of course, MAYBE the Wii Fit Trainer kind of already represents SSB4's peripheral, the Balance Board)

My idea would be that all of these "Zapper" characters are somehow conglomerated into one.

Maybe you use Duck Hunt Dog, and Gumshoe is part of his moves, or the other way around.
A Side+B would pop up one of those villains from Hogan's Alley (to use as cover-wall, and launch opponents standing where it pops up),
and a B-Down would be a long-ranged counter attack (inspired by Wild Gunman) that pierces opponents in a straight line.

I'd be pretty excited to have a character like this, to be honest. I was probably still a toddler when these games came out, but I still have a great interest in them all. Did manage to play Duck Hunt, obviously, and I know Wild Gunman from Back to the Future 2, and I've only seen images and small clips from the rest.

Anyway... Zapper characters... likely? Likely as a curve-ball?
My answer would be curve-ball (still will be awesome). If you are talking about a forgotten console why not the Virtual Boy with characters like Harry, Nester and we cannot forgive the Super Scope for the SNES with characters like Tin Star and Mike Anderson.
.n_n.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like Mach Rider because of hist story and design, to be honest.
I don't think he's THAT likely, but Sakurai did give him an awesome redesign in Melee.

Andy doesn't need a "spot". People keep thinking inside the box, quite literally, if they're thinking each character should be added to a particular "spot".

But just so it's out there... I consider Andy would go in the same "spot" as Isaac for example.

My answer would be curve-ball (still will be awesome). If you are talking about a forgotten console why not the Virtual Boy with characters like Harry, Nester and we cannot forgive the Super Scope for the SNES with characters like Tin Star and Mike Anderson.

.n_n.
Fine choices as well. Virtual Boy is a complete mistery to me, I wish they had released its games on the VC.
I could totally look past the black+red. (I got through the Game Boy's spinach green just fine).

Is it weird that I don't know a single person to own a Super Scope? :o

Oh, and I forgot perhaps the most famous Zapper representative of all...

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/02pics-L/captain-n_L13.jpg
Hey... it COULD happen!

Groose

Smash Champion

NEGATIVES:

1) Jigglypuff Cut--- just something I can't overlook, and playable Meowth is a dream that has long since left my eyes.

2) No Cut Roster--- I don't believe in them. Yours is very close to one, and the cut you made was one I doubt will happen.

3) 50 Characters--- I'd love a fifty character roster... but I don't see it happening.

4) Dixie and K. Rool--- I honestly don't see both of them happening. Even if Nintendo has been going ape about DK lately, I doubt we'll see two newcomers from the franchise.

5) Four FE Characters--- Do I have to explain this?

Positives:

1) Dillon, Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog--- Nintendo is known for its cartoon-y, whimsical games, and I feel such characters are often overlooked in speculation here. I don't think any of them is likely, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the three got in.

2) Popular Characters--- You managed to fit in K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, and Isaac. Nice job.

3) Pac-Man--- I view him as very likely and I think that's a good thing. I did leave him off of my latest roster, but that was my biggest regret.

Rating: 6.75/10
I don't view it as a realistic roster because of 50 characters (54 counting transformations). It does hit most of my wants, though that should be expected with such a large roster size. You also did a decent job of having a few surprises: Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, and Dillon are all characters for which people have little hope.

I don't like how the DK, Pokemon, Mario, and FE franchises seem to be taking over the roster, however. It's a large roster, but there just isn't quite enough diversity.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Groose's review. Cut for sake of people scrolling.

Thanks for the review Groose. I wondered wen someone was gonna call me out on how large it was. Was also expecting the four Fire Emblem thing to be brought up too.

One thing confused me about the review though:

Meowth. Both good and bad at the same time?

Also crap, just realised I forgot Little Mac!

Your review seemed fair and I like that you gave both negatives and positives. 10/10

Louie G.

Smash Hero
NEGATIVES:

1) Jigglypuff Cut--- just something I can't overlook, and playable Meowth is a dream that has long since left my eyes.

2) No Cut Roster--- I don't believe in them. Yours is very close to one, and the cut you made was one I doubt will happen.

3) 50 Characters--- I'd love a fifty character roster... but I don't see it happening.

4) Dixie and K. Rool--- I honestly don't see both of them happening. Even if Nintendo has been going ape about DK lately, I doubt we'll see two newcomers from the franchise.

5) Four FE Characters--- Do I have to explain this?

Positives:

1) Dillon, Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog--- Nintendo is known for its cartoon-y, whimsical games, and I feel such characters are often overlooked in speculation here. I don't think any of them is likely, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the three got in.

2) Popular Characters--- You managed to fit in K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, and Isaac. Nice job.

3) Pac-Man--- I view him as very likely and I think that's a good thing. I did leave him off of my latest roster, but that was my biggest regret.

Rating: 6.75/10
I don't view it as a realistic roster because of 50 characters (54 counting transformations). It does hit most of my wants, though that should be expected with such a large roster size. You also did a decent job of having a few surprises: Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, and Dillon are all characters for which people have little hope.

I don't like how the DK, Pokemon, Mario, and FE franchises seem to be taking over the roster, however. It's a large roster, but there just isn't quite enough diversity.
Wait, Jiggs was cut? Of all the characters? Still a good roster, but she's a classic.

Edit: I didn't realize the lack of Little Mac either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom