• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Do people honestly think Eevee has a shot at being playable? Or is it just the one dude?
There's all of about two people who think Eevee should be playable, and maybe four or five more who seem to think Sylveon gets a free pass on account of being heavily advertised... but no, in general, I think everybody here knows better than to talk about Eevee as a realistic choice. Personally, I'd love a playable Eevee but only if it had an evolution mechanic (like a permanent Down-B transformation into one of it's evolutions), and implementing all of Eevee's evolution would be a complete and utter pain in the balls to implement. The way I see it, you either go all the way with a character or not at all, and if they were to half-arse Eevee out of it's defining mechanic then what would be the point?

So yeah... cool in theory but pretty much no, is the general consensus.

Espio264

Smash Ace
probably just the one dude.

although it would be kinda cute cool
It would be awesome as a pokeball pokemon. It comes out, soon after evolves into one of the, what? 8 now? different evolutions and then procedes to kick your ass in various ways. But that's a ridiculous prospect for a playable character. I would think we'd sooner get a trainer with 6 pokemon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I wasn't making a joke that new Pokemon look like Digimon (because frankly they don't), I was poking fun at the fact that as soon as you mention a preference for the first-generation or make any kind of statement about how the first-gen has a greater number of viable Smash representatives (which frankly, it does), people lump you in with the same old "New Pokemon are Digimon" crowd and assume you're a hardcore genwunner.
OK then, I misinterpreted that, I've grown way too used to Gamefaqs level of thinking...

I will say this: I'm not bothered by having 4 Gen 1 reps, fact of the matter is it's the most popular generation and as much as I love the other generations that's not going to change and thus it has the most Pokémon that could become reps in that regard. Having said that, I don't think that just because that the new rep is from a new generation, it must be "Token new rep." Lucario has far proven that he's not going anywhere advertising and popularity-wise so he doesn't fit that idea and there's no reason that it won't happen again down the road with another Pokémon from a new generation. So I'm not fond of the idea of "Token new rep" because there can be more to that Pokémon then you're giving it credit for.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What does metal Mario give us that regular Mario doesn't? Or even Dr. Mario for that matter? Make 'em both Wario like costumes and don't waste roster spots on things we really already have.
This is implying that a re-skin takes up an entire slot or hardly any time at all. And What did Toon Link have that Link didn't? Also how do you make a costume out of Metal Mario, he's made of Metal.

There's all of about two people who think Eevee should be playable, and maybe four or five more who seem to think Sylveon gets a free pass on account of being heavily advertised... but no, in general, I think everybody here knows better than to talk about Eevee as a realistic choice. Personally, I'd love a playable Eevee but only if it had an evolution mechanic (like a permanent Down-B transformation into one of it's evolutions), and implementing all of Eevee's evolution would be a complete and utter pain in the balls to implement. The way I see it, you either go all the way with a character or not at all, and if they were to half-arse Eevee out of it's defining mechanic then what would be the point?

So yeah... cool in theory but pretty much no, is the general consensus.
To answer the question correctly, the generally more open minded and considerable people that aren't piss scared to step outside the approved character list predict the possibility of Eevee. Not to mention a simple solution such as having just Eevee by herself or limiting her to Gen 1 evolutions can work. And people predict Sylveon because she's a Gen 6 Fairy evolution of the already popular Eevee. Recent characters get in for other reasons besides being recent. You should look into characters before accusing them of only one trait. I can name a ton of people on this site who agree with the possibility of Eevee, but since nobody talks about a character on SmashBoards that must automatically shun them from any possibility of being in the game, logic much?

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
All I'm going to say is that at least with Toon Link, he's a completely seperate character from Link and if Sakurai wanted to he could change Toon Link's moveset around and give him his weapons from Wind Waker, like the Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, or *cough* *cough* the Wind Waker. Metal Mario is just f***ing Mario, but metallic. How could make him different from regular Mario (Then again, that could also be said for Dr. Mario, but whatever). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading back into the background and let you guys continue.

Espio264

Smash Ace
This is implying that a re-skin takes up an entire slot or hardly any time at all. And What did Toon Link have that Link didn't? Also how do you make a costume out of Metal Mario, he's made of Metal.

To answer the question correctly, the generally more open minded and considerable people that aren't piss scared to step outside the approved character list predict the possibility of Eevee. Not to mention a simple solution such as having just Eevee by herself or limiting her to Gen 1 evolutions can work. And people predict Sylveon because she's a Gen 6 Fairy evolution of the already popular Eevee. Recent characters get in for other reasons besides being recent. You should look into characters before accusing them of only one trait. I can name a ton of people on this site who agree with the possibility of Eevee, but since nobody talks about a character on SmashBoards that must automatically shun them from any possibility of being in the game, logic much?
- he's made of metal, then keep the metal box , it's how he did it in the games anyway.

- people aren't scared to add eevee, and this "approved list" of genesect and zoroark and meowth is just as made up as anything else anybody posts in this thread.

- who decided Eevee was a girl? Pretty sure you can get one in either gender.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
What I want to see is Lucario with the mechanic to Mega Evolve into Mega Lucario once a certain requirement is met, like having enough damage, or if it can be activated only once per match. I prefer my first suggestion.

CalumG

Smash Lord
"Piss scared" nothing, this is the person who wants Ryota Hayami playable you're talking to. Eevee's "thing" is its evolutions. That's the whole of Eevee. Eevee can work on it's own and has it's own moves and its own fanbase, but including a singular Eeveelution (or Eevee itself) would be like including Megaman without his Robot powers, Kirby without his transform, Sonic without his Spin attacks, Olimar without his Pikmin, Yoshi without his eggs... the list goes on. Eevee has it's fanbase, and it's certainly not a complete cop-out of a Pokemon, but the factor that elevated it from beyond just another Pokemon to being a timeless Pokemon is it's evolution mechanic. If you can't implement the thing that made it popular in the first place, why bother? Or, to put it in a way that'll appeal to you - it'd be like putting Paper Mario in without any paper-based gameplay mechanics.

So, not as popular as some of the other Pokemon contenders and not presenting anything truly unique since it's main gameplay mechanic wouldn't work in Smash without compromising it's character... that's why people don't think Eevee is likely.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
All I'm going to say is that at least with Toon Link, he's a completely seperate character from Link and if Sakurai wanted to he could change Toon Link's moveset around and give him his weapons from Wind Waker, like the Deku Leaf, Skull Hammer, or *cough* *cough* the Wind Waker. Metal Mario is just f***ing Mario, but metallic. How could make him different from regular Mario (Then again, that could also be said for Dr. Mario, but whatever). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading back into the background and let you guys continue.
Everybody knows this. If the topic was Metal Mario I wouldn't dignify myself by pointing out the obvious factors of Metal Mario. I'm just saying it's not entirely impossible due to Dr. Mario being planned in Brawl, and he was just different clothing & physics.

Espio264

Smash Ace
"Piss scared" nothing, this is the person who wants Ryota Hayami playable you're talking to. Eevee's "thing" is its evolutions. That's the whole of Eevee. Eevee can work on it's own and has it's own moves and its own fanbase, but including a singular Eeveelution (or Eevee itself) would be like including Megaman without his Robot powers, Kirby without his transform, Sonic without his Spin attacks, Olimar without his Pikmin, Yoshi without his eggs... the list goes on. Eevee has it's fanbase, and it's certainly not a complete cop-out of a Pokemon, but the factor that elevated it from beyond just another Pokemon to being a timeless Pokemon is it's evolution mechanic. If you can't implement the thing that made it popular in the first place, why bother? Or, to put it in a way that'll appeal to you - it'd be like putting Paper Mario in without any paper-based gameplay mechanics.

So, not as popular as some of the other Pokemon contenders and not presenting anything truly unique since it's main gameplay mechanic wouldn't work in Smash without compromising it's character... that's why people don't think Eevee is likely.
Well done sir.

Also, did we all leave for the last 30 minutes because of new Futurama?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually if you just limited Eevee to Gen 1 evolutions then it would work. But it'd still take time to implement them all. and we'd have 10 Pokemon :troll:
I guess Genesect is really the best choice in terms of Newcomers.

Gune

Smash Lord
Today was great had some school made my Warlord into a Dragoon on latale now im ready for some discussion whats the current topic?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Imma wait til tommorow to post my roster when hopefully there are more people on,

AND THERE'S A NEW FUTURAMA EPISODE!?!?!?!?!?

Espio264

Smash Ace
Imma wait til tommorow to post my roster when hopefully there are more people on,

AND THERE'S A NEW FUTURAMA EPISODE!?!?!?!?!?
There have been new Futurama episodes Wednesdays at 10 for the last nine weeks.

@ Gune - how bout you suggest a new topic.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Today was great had some school made my Warlord into a Dragoon on latale now im ready for some discussion whats the current topic?
The Pokeymans, why Eevee isn't happening, how we're sad about Meowth being pretty low in terms of chances... basically general Pokemon discussion but without the typical "Lucario is getting cut/no he isn't/Mewtwo isn't coming back/yes he is" aggro that there normally is.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So in other news today's pic of the day finally shows the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer on the 3DS Version. Nice to see progress on it is going well.

BUT YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT, NO YOU DON'T NOPE. YOU CARE ABOUT RIDLEY.
I KNOW BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT THROUGH YOUR POSTS FROM THE PAST 10 PAGES IN THE RIDLEY TOPIC.

SO YOU WANT RIDLEY, HERE HAVE RIDLEY

LOOK AT THAT. DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE? YEAH, IT'S RIDLEY IN A (new) ROSTER OF MINE. DOES THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY?

NO? WELL HOW ABOUT THIS ONE
snip
YEAH I BET YOU LIKE THIS ONE.
(srsly tho, what do you think of the first one? I've been considering adding in another character and potentially Takamaru over Mach Rider but I feel as if Takamaru has become too predictable for Sakurai's tastes [of course implying his tastes have to do with anything]...)
guys I was serious I wanted feedback on this

darn you ridley discussions

grr

I have news for everyone: I think we can confirm that a second Pikmin Captain won't be playable.

Why you ask? Well, something so simple as the character's name: PIKMIN & Olimar. If there was going to be another captain, why is PIKMIN in the name. Why is it so important to point out there are Pikmin? Because it's the only character that has them. You wouldn't bother naming them Pikmin & Olimar and Pikmin & Louie.
First of all,
Big news story for sure, but that was how they referred to in Brawl.

Secondly, I guess this deconfirms other Pokemon characters in Brawl because POKEMON Trainer was in Brawl. Wonderful deduction my friend.

Thirdly, they are referred to as "Pikmin & Olimar" because you play as Olimar using Pikmin. I can imagine Alph being "Pikmin & Alph" or Louie being "Pikmin & Louie" because they both would probably utilize Pikmin as well.

Lastly, Dr. Mario confirmed for not happening.

Gune

Smash Lord
The Pokeymans, why Eevee isn't happening, how we're sad about Meowth being pretty low in terms of chances... basically general Pokemon discussion but without the typical "Lucario is getting cut/no he isn't/Mewtwo isn't coming back/yes he is" aggro that there normally is.
Yeah pokemon discussion is always about cutting Lucario wich is bull when he has more reason to stay than anyone else new getting in to take his place That new pokken fighters game he is being featured in and the fact hes very popular and recognizable pokemon mascot. But lets not divulge into that. anything new you guys wanna talk about?

RobbyJake16

Smash Rookie
Please tell me you're not serious. Not only you have terrible explanations for characters (why the hell not being the primary reason for newcomers), 67 characters? Nuh-uh. The roster will most likely be anywhere between 40-50 slots, so the amount of characters will at most be about 55 give or take. Mario does not need six reps, StarFox and F-Zero don't deserve another Rep. You have over ten third party characters. Sonic and Metal Gear are not established franchises in Smash, they're guest franchises. Stop being stupid.
Jeez dood you're a little jumpy, just having some fun. The only one who's stupid is you for taking such a fun topic so seriously.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Jeez dood you're a little jumpy, just having some fun. The only one who's stupid is you for taking such a fun topic so seriously.
This is a roster prediction thread, not a roster wishlist thread. If you don't like people getting jumpy at you, don't do outrageous things like putting Goku and King Piccolo on your roster.

RobbyJake16

Smash Rookie
I think there's a lot of characters that are being ignored and unfairly dismissed, such as...

Earth, Wind, and Fire: Should be included. They could switch between the 5 members like pokemon trainer and all have unique abillities.
Ronald Reagan: Just obvious, the Reagan smash could possibly be the most powerful final smash ever. Reagan will sport his famous cowboy hat and boots w/spurs.
Rosie O'Donnel: There's really endless possibility with her, like the rosie body slam and the infamous " hungry rosie ". Enough said.
Tupac: Probably a shoe in. I don't see how Tupac Shakur isn't added.
Powerpuff girls: They can replace pokemon trainer, Sakurai is a huge fan of ppg I feel like they have a FANTASTIC shot
Mikhail Gorbachov: A second character from the Reagan universe. An icon in gaming, Reagans arch nemesis. If Reagans in, so is he.

This is a roster prediction thread, not a roster wishlist thread. If you don't like people getting jumpy at you, don't do outrageous things like putting Goku and King Piccolo on your roster.

You're right that'll never happen they should put in Super Buu and Vegito!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think there's a lot of characters that are being ignored and unfairly dismissed, such as...

Earth, Wind, and Fire: Should be included. They could switch between the 5 members like pokemon trainer and all have unique abillities.
Ronald Reagan: Just obvious, the Reagan smash could possibly be the most powerful final smash ever. Reagan will sport his famous cowboy hat and boots w/spurs.
Rosie O'Donnel: There's really endless possibility with her, like the rosie body slam and the infamous " hungry rosie ". Enough said.
Powerpuff girls: They can replace pokemon trainer, Sakurai is a huge fan of ppg I feel like they have a FANTASTIC shot
Mikhail Gorbachov: A second character from the Reagan universe. An icon in gaming, Reagans arch nemesis. If Reagans in, so is he.
Yeah...

Trying to be charming and funny...

I'm gonna be blunt...

Not really working...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

You're right that'll never happen they should put in Super Buu and Vegito!
Welcome to the boards. This is the Roster Prediction thread so anything NOT realistic or possible is typically frowned upon. We do have two threads on impossible/wish list choices:

The Wishlist Roster thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/336020/

Impossible Character Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324357

Feel free to post in those! People take this thread a bit too seriously at times but I think it's justified since it sees a large amount of unadulterated, wacky off-topic spam and rabbit trails. As well, please refrain from double posting.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy the forums and speculate to your hearts content!

D

Deleted member

View attachment 2334

Here's my roster! (As well as my first post! :D)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will only be talking about series that have a change in representatives or a newcomer. Series like the Yoshi series will not be discussed because it just takes space.

Mario Series
Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are obvious choices, and so I shall not discuss them.
I personally believe Bowser Jr. is the next best Mario representative for he has had a lot of significance and is a very solid and unique character. His moveset potential is outstanding, and he'd probably be very fun to play as. It's also another villain representative for the series, which is a plus.

Donkey Kong Series
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are obvious. No discussion for them.
King K. Rool is a great character with a large moveset pool and is another villain representative. Not much else to say.

Legend of Zelda Series
Nothing to say for Link, Zelda/Sheik and Ganondorf.
Despite some people's anger, I strongly believe Toon Link will return.
Toon Zelda is the next likely choice because there aren't any other characters that fill the role like Toon Zelda does.

Metroid Series
Nothing to say for Samus/Zero Suit and Ridley. I really think Ridley will make it in.

Pokemon Series
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Pokemon Trainer will return. It's obvious.
I also believe Mewtwo will return, with a Final Smash representing his Mega Evolution.
I also believe Lucario will return, but with a new mechanic. I think that Lucario, when in battle for a long enough time and with aura increase, he'll Mega Evolve into Mega Lucario, who may/may not have new moves and be powered up.

Fire Emblem Series
Ike will probably be replaced with Chrom, due to Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Other Series
Little Mac and Shulk will most likely make it into the game, well at least that's how I see it.

And that concludes my very first post! :D
Really good roster.

Maybe my only complaint about it is the lack of extravaganza. There're a lot of obvious choices but not enough of "less obvious" characters like Takamaru. I think you should add 5 more characters and remove the "Random" slot for make it better.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
My Updated Roster:

My only regret is Deathborn as a DLC choice, just replace him with Samurai Goroh in your mind. :p

Attachments

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
guys I was serious I wanted feedback on this

darn you ridley discussions

grr

First of all,
Big news story for sure, but that was how they referred to in Brawl.

Secondly, I guess this deconfirms other Pokemon characters in Brawl because POKEMON Trainer was in Brawl. Wonderful deduction my friend.

Thirdly, they are referred to as "Pikmin & Olimar" because you play as Olimar using Pikmin. I can imagine Alph being "Pikmin & Alph" or Louie being "Pikmin & Louie" because they both would probably utilize Pikmin as well.

Lastly, Dr. Mario confirmed for not happening.
Pokemon Trainer is his NAME. That's what he's called. It's not Pokemon & Trainer in case you haven't noticed. Olimar is likely called Pikmin & Olimar in Brawl & 4 because the Pikmin are unique to him.

I seriously don't see 2 Characters being named "Pikmin &" That's just stupid, Ariand. :ohwell:

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Really good roster.

Maybe my only complaint about it is the lack of extravaganza. There're a lot of obvious choices but not enough of "less obvious" characters like Takamaru. I think you should add 5 more characters and remove the "Random" slot for make it better.
Thanks! After posting my roster I realized that it was a bit bland, and I updated it afterwards. Anyway, here is my new roster:

MyRoster2.0.png

I added three two characters to my roster, Ray, Sheriff, and Takamaru.

Sheriff and Takamaru are retro characters, and I feel both need some representation in the series. Sheriff has not had any appearances in anything other than his game, and Takamaru is a very popular character that received a little cameo role in Nintendoland. Whether or not Sheriff gets a 3D model or keeps his traditional appearance like Mr. G & W is all up to Sakurai, but either way a reappearance would be exciting news.

As for Ray, I know Custom Robo hasn't been getting any love recently, but I feel it is still somewhat of a popular franchise. His appearance in SSB4 may also help the franchise to get a new game, like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. He'd be a unique fighter, and I believe that he has a shot.

So there it is, my updated roster: 47 characters. Tell me what you guys think! :)

EDIT: I forgot Ice Climbers in my roster, so Ray was cut for their place. Sorry Ray. :(

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Thanks! After posting my roster I realized that it was a bit bland, and I updated it afterwards. Anyway, here is my new roster:

View attachment 2345

I added three characters to my roster, Ray, Sheriff, and Takamaru.

Sheriff and Takamaru are retro characters, and I feel both need some representation in the series. Sheriff has not had any appearances in anything other than his game, and Takamaru is a very popular character that received a little cameo role in Nintendoland. Whether or not Sheriff gets a 3D model or keeps his traditional appearance like Mr. G & W is all up to Sakurai, but either way a reappearance would be exciting news.

As for Ray, I know Custom Robo hasn't been getting any love recently, but I feel it is still somewhat of a popular franchise. His appearance in SSB4 may also help the franchise to get a new game, like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. He'd be a unique fighter, and I believe that he has a shot.

So there it is, my updated roster: 47 characters. Tell me what you guys think! :)
Uhh... Ice Climbers?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I never felt stickers added much in Brawl. If they had descriptions like the trophies I'd have been more accepting of them. As they are they're fine...just kind of...a wooden spoon prize if a character didn't get a trophy.

Not the worst addition in Brawl though, that definitely goes to the pointless Masterpiece section. Woo; I can play between 30 seconds and five minutes on a different game you say? Whoop-de-doo.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Stickers might be used for the still to be revealed form of customization on the 3DS. Would make sense.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
I think stickers would still be around, but like Wariofan1 said, they may be just for some type of customization, or perhaps even some type of currency so one could buy more stage parts in-game or something. Also, here's my roster:
MINE Roster.png

I think stickers would still be around, but like Wariofan1 said, they may be just for some type of customization, or perhaps even some type of currency so one could buy more stage parts in-game or something. Also, here's my wishlist roster:
MINE Roster.png

Oops. Double message. Still new here, can ya tell?:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom