• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Wow, lot of conversation while I was at school. Anyway who wants to see my visually updated roster? With the help of Ariand/AEM for making icons (Congratulations on learning how to do the glowing outlines btw ;)) INCLUDES JAPANESE VERSION! :reverse:

I think Toad is more likely and I was gonna add him, but Dr. Mario made me see Paper Mario is more likely than I though. Medusa is there just to balance out the roster, I'd add Sheriff if I didn't already have 8 newcoming franchises and Medusa may be unlikely, but certainly not impossible

SaturnGamer64's Roster! Version 5.6

Veterans: 35
Newcomers: 15
Females: 9
New Semi-Clones: 2

Alts & DLC:

Starter Roster:

BONUS! Japanese Roster:

Groose

Smash Champion
Thanks for the review Groose. I wondered wen someone was gonna call me out on how large it was. Was also expecting the four Fire Emblem thing to be brought up too.

One thing confused me about the review though:

Meowth. Both good and bad at the same time?

Also crap, just realised I forgot Little Mac!

Meowth:
In a better world, Meowth would have gotten in over Jiggs in Smash 64 and would be the veteran now.

Good because he's an unexpected character who most people would recognize and like.

Bad because he's a fifth Pokemon character on a roster that caters to large series. Also, Jigglypuff was cut, seemingly in his favor.

Roster Size:
When I'm making a roster, I limit myself to 45 characters. We could get fifty... but I doubt it and I don't want to get my hopes up. Also, you only had one cut and it was a rather strange one.

Fire Emblem:
I do enjoy the series, but it's not Nintendo's greatest creation, nor is it their most popular. It does place an emphasis on character (the "death is permanent" gimmick is great, imo), but many of the characters fall into the same archetypes over and over again.

I realistically see two-three Fire Emblem characters. If we do get three, I would like one of them to be more unique than a swordsman. You have four Fire Emblem characters... and they're all part of the same Lord mold. I suggest you cut one to replace with Little Mac, who you are stressed at forgetting.

I rarely give high scores to rosters, so yours isn't bad, it's just average in my eyes.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The more I think about, the more I'm convinced that Lip isn't retro, at least in the traditional sense of coming from a retro series. Her series has continually received iterations (including a sequel). She is more retro in the gaming community sense, similar to Little Mac and Mega Man, who are retro by the force of will by the gaming community.

My choices for retro adds:
Lip (I love contradicting myself)
Star Man (Pro Wrestling)
Donbe and Hikari

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wow, lot of conversation while I was at school. Anyway who wants to see my visually updated roster? With the help of Ariand/AEM for making icons (Congratulations on learning how to do the glowing outlines btw ;)) INCLUDES JAPANESE VERSION! :reverse:

I think Toad is more likely and I was gonna add him, but Dr. Mario made me see Paper Mario is more likely than I though. Medusa is there just to balance out the roster, I'd add Sheriff if I didn't already have 8 newcoming franchises and Medusa may be unlikely, but certainly not impossible

Alts & DLC:

Starter Roster:

BONUS! Japanese Roster:
Your roster is good, not including K. Rool is certainly not. I know it's your opinion, but he should be on there instead of Medusa.

Edit: Props for Paper Mario.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Your roster is good, not including K. Rool is certainly not. I know it's your opinion, but he should be on there instead of Medusa.

Edit: Props for Paper Mario.
I would, but I don't know if we'll get 4 reps for anything that's not Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. And I of course base that off of nothing. Even then I still don't see 4 DK reps.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Because Jigglypuff is part of the original 12. None of them should ever be cut IMO.
I agree with Scatmans. While it does help being one of the original, it doesn't give them a free pass in. I mean, Jiggz was really low priority in Brawl, she might be it again. Granted, she should be pretty simple, so that could be the reason she was held off that long. Yoshi, Ness, Falcon, and Jiggz will not get in or will not be confirmed just since they are part of the starting roster.

Welcome to the boards though! Sorry, I was packed with schoolwork this week, I haven't been on that often.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would, but I don't know if we'll get 4 reps for anything that's not Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. And I of course base that off of nothing. Even then I still don't see 4 DK reps.
Honestly, if another franchise were to get 4 reps, it would be DK.
I'm not going to keep bringing this up, but I don't see 3 Kid Icarus characters either.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
DK, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and StarFox have the most potential for a 4th character, with DK having the most. Granted, I too agree that maybe not this time based on previous analyses on past games, but, like you said, that's based off of nothing.

DK is certainly the next franchise to get 4 reps though.
Honestly, if another franchise were to get 4 reps, it would be DK.

I'm not going to keep bringing this up, but I don't see 3 Kid Icarus characters either.

I agree. DK is the next biggest franchise. And I also feel you with the KI reps. Maybe not this time, as I'm still having slight doubts if we're even getting another rep altogether.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I agree with Scatmans. While it does help being one of the original, it doesn't give them a free pass in. I mean, Jiggz was really low priority in Brawl, she might be it again. Granted, she should be pretty simple, so that could be the reason she was held off that long. Yoshi, Ness, Falcon, and Jiggz will not get in or will not be confirmed just since they are part of the starting roster.

Welcome to the boards though! Sorry, I was packed with schoolwork this week, I haven't been on that often.
Thank you, and yes, I know Jiggs was a late Brawl addition. I guess it would just break my heart for Sakurai to get rid of one of the original Smashers.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
We're talking about Meowth being better than Jigglypuff and that any character who was an original 12 gets a free pass?

Really, guys.......

DK is certainly the next franchise to get 4 reps though.
I totally agree it would be next in line, my gut just doesn't feel it happening though :ohwell:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We're talking about Meowth being better than Jigglypuff and that any character who was an original 12 gets a free pass?

Really, guys.......

I totally agree it would be next in line, my gut just doesn't feel it happening though :ohwell:
Oh certainly not in this game. I'd give it an 8% chance we get 4 DK characters. It could happen in this game, but there's a fair chance if there's another game afterwards, we'll have the main 4.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I'd put Kirby fourth out of those options, even though I actually do quite like Waddle Dee.

Krystal could be good, but I certainly wouldn't want her before Wolf, although I guess I would be okay if Falco hadn't been around as the second Starfox character, and Wolf had made the Melee cut instead.

I miss Roy. I do. It certainly wasn't Marth that made me interested in what Fire Emblem was. It was the dude with the...err...the fire that got me interested in Fire Emblem. I just wish he and Mewtwo hadn't been cut due to time restrictions, especially since Ike's grown on me.

DK I frankly don't care about, but I know Dixie and K. Rool are both deserving of a spot due to DK being one of the big three before Pokemon came along.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally I'd put Kirby fourth out of those options, even though I actually do quite like Waddle Dee.

Krystal could be good, but I certainly wouldn't want her before Wolf, although I guess I would be okay if Falco hadn't been around as the second Starfox character, and Wolf had made the Melee cut instead.

I miss Roy. I do. It certainly wasn't Marth that made me interested in what Fire Emblem was. It was the dude with the...err...the fire that got me interested in Fire Emblem. I just wish he and Mewtwo hadn't been cut due to time restrictions, especially since Ike's grown on me.

DK I frankly don't care about, but I know Dixie and K. Rool are both deserving of a spot due to DK being one of the big three before Pokemon came along.
Wolf counts as one of the 4. And if 2 Melee characters come back, they should easily be Mewtwo and Roy.
PS: I like Waddle Dee too. :)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

Really liking the roster. Still, my only complaint is Medusa, and even having three Kid Icarus reps in general. I don't understand what so balanced about three Kid Icarus reps. Another Zelda rep would easily be more balanced.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Not Brawl U v2.png

Hello prediction thread. Have a somewhat unsafe, cut-happy roster. I tried to play to the philosophy that every character has to have something relatively distinct to add. Here's my reasoning for each series.

[collapse="Reasoning"]
Mario series: No change. I wouldn't be upset if we got a new Mario rep, but for me there's just not one that screams both iconic and mechanically unique.

DK series: K. Rool needs no explanation. He has every reason to be here. For me, Dixie is just barely lacking the star power and unique moveset potential to stand on her own. The team-up idea was already examined closely as part of the Forbidden 7, however, so why not revisit it and give us another unique mechanic while giving the nod to a deserving character.

Zelda series: Zelda representation gets a big facelift here. Since Zelda may be getting a SS-inspired design, why not take the opportunity to add some novelty with an Impa team-up? She could easily be based largely off of Sheik given a new Down-B switch-out animation. A new Sheik design is perfectly reasonable too, I just think Impa would fit better with Zelda's new look. Ganondorf isn't going anywhere, but he needs to get his butt in gear and realize his own unique mechanics already. Extra Link is gone this time; I'm okay with another Link, but there are better choices if we're committed to adding variety. Ghirahim is very iffy, but his personality is a big selling point that has no analog yet in Smash. He has plenty of potential for a unique moveset as well.

Kid Icarus/Metroid series: Ridley and Palutena have plenty to offer and absolutely warrant 2nd reps for their respective series. Moving on.

Star Fox series: Cutting both Falco and Wolf is probably the most unrealistic decision here. Wolf has more going for him in terms of function within the SF series as well as less same-y feeling moveset, but at the end of the day, he still follows the same blaster-reflector-fastfall design pattern as Fox. Krystal is popular enough to warrant inclusion, and she has more to work with mechanically. It would be sad to see SF down to two reps, but I just don't see the draw of three same-y feeling spacies.

Pokemon series: Go ahead and hate me for cutting Pkmn Trainer; I have my reasons. While he certainly adds an interesting mechanic to the series, he creates a lot of technical and balance problems in addition to just eating up three times the development time as anyone else on the roster, and I just don't feel Pokemon deserves that much dev time over other series. Lucario gets a pass because of its new Mega Evolution and its existing unique mechanic, although I desperately hope they improve the Aura stuff because I can't stand Brawl Lucario. Zoroark might not be relevant or popular enough to warrant inclusion, but it would certainly open up the opportunity for a great new mechanic with its Illusion ability. Who knows, maybe it will get a Mega Evolution too. Jigglypuff... I could live without. There's not really much to its moveset in my eyes, despite the fact that I like playing it. I wouldn't cry if it ended up breaking the sanctity of the Original 12.

Fire Emblem series: I can believe that FE will get a third slot this time around, but I don't think filling it with a third Lord is the way to go. Chrom can inherit Ike's heavy-swordsman style to compliment Marth's lighter one. Robin fills in the sorely lacking magic-user representation for the series.

Mother series: It's tough to see Lucas go, but unlike FE, I can't see Mother landing a third rep. Porky gives Smash a taste of Mother's darker tones, and there are a couple of intriguing directions they could take the character in moveset-wise without falling back on the same PSI skills. Check out his thread here if you're not convinced; it sold me on the character.

New series reps: They pretty much speak for themselves. Little Mac, Saki, Isaac, and Shulk all come from interesting series and would add something cool with their mechanics. Little Mac may be a little strapped for moves, but I have faith that the devs can make him work, and nearly everyone wants him anyways. Ray is basically a throwaway slot for me; feel free to substitute whatever dark horse/retro character you're into. I'd personally prefer Geno, but I like Ray over Takamaru or the return of R.O.B.[/collapse]

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Personally I think Mario, Zelda and Pokemon deserve 4 reps.:troll:

Seriously though by that I mean I don't think anyone else does unless at least one, and preferably two of those gets 5. I don't think any other franchise is as equally big as those 3.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
View attachment 2359

Hello prediction thread. Have a somewhat unsafe, cut-happy roster. I tried to play to the philosophy that every character has to have something relatively distinct to add. Here's my reasoning for each series.

[collapse="Reasoning"]
Mario series: No change. I wouldn't be upset if we got a new Mario rep, but for me there's just not one that screams both iconic and mechanically unique.

DK series: K. Rool needs no explanation. He has every reason to be here. For me, Dixie is just barely lacking the star power and unique moveset potential to stand on her own. The team-up idea was already examined closely as part of the Forbidden 7, however, so why not revisit it and give us another unique mechanic while giving the nod to a deserving character.

Zelda series: Zelda representation gets a big facelift here. Since Zelda may be getting a SS-inspired design, why not take the opportunity to add some novelty with an Impa team-up? She could easily be based largely off of Sheik given a new Down-B switch-out animation. A new Sheik design is perfectly reasonable too, I just think Impa would fit better with Zelda's new look. Ganondorf isn't going anywhere, but he needs to get his butt in gear and realize his own unique mechanics already. Extra Link is gone this time; I'm okay with another Link, but there are better choices if we're committed to adding variety. Ghirahim is very iffy, but his personality is a big selling point that has no analog yet in Smash. He has plenty of potential for a unique moveset as well.

Kid Icarus/Metroid series: Ridley and Palutena have plenty to offer and absolutely warrant 2nd reps for their respective series. Moving on.

Star Fox series: Cutting both Falco and Wolf is probably the most unrealistic decision here. Wolf has more going for him in terms of function within the SF series as well as less same-y feeling moveset, but at the end of the day, he still follows the same blaster-reflector-fastfall design pattern as Fox. Krystal is popular enough to warrant inclusion, and she has more to work with mechanically. It would be sad to see SF down to two reps, but I just don't see the draw of three same-y feeling spacies.

Pokemon series: Go ahead and hate me for cutting Pkmn Trainer; I have my reasons. While he certainly adds an interesting mechanic to the series, he creates a lot of technical and balance problems in addition to just eating up three times the development time as anyone else on the roster, and I just don't feel Pokemon deserves that much dev time over other series. Lucario gets a pass because of its new Mega Evolution and its existing unique mechanic, although I desperately hope they improve the Aura stuff because I can't stand Brawl Lucario. Zoroark might not be relevant or popular enough to warrant inclusion, but it would certainly open up the opportunity for a great new mechanic with its Illusion ability. Who knows, maybe it will get a Mega Evolution too. Jigglypuff... I could live without. There's not really much to its moveset in my eyes, despite the fact that I like playing it. I wouldn't cry if it ended up breaking the sanctity of the Original 12.

Fire Emblem series: I can believe that FE will get a third slot this time around, but I don't think filling it with a third Lord is the way to go. Chrom can inherit Ike's heavy-swordsman style to compliment Marth's lighter one. Robin fills in the sorely lacking magic-user representation for the series.

Mother series: It's tough to see Lucas go, but unlike FE, I can't see Mother landing a third rep. Porky gives Smash a taste of Mother's darker tones, and there are a couple of intriguing directions they could take the character in moveset-wise without falling back on the same PSI skills. Check out his thread here if you're not convinced; it sold me on the character.

New series reps: They pretty much speak for themselves. Little Mac, Saki, Isaac, and Shulk all come from interesting series and would add something cool with their mechanics. Little Mac may be a little strapped for moves, but I have faith that the devs can make him work, and nearly everyone wants him anyways. Ray is basically a throwaway slot for me; feel free to substitute whatever dark horse/retro character you're into. I'd personally prefer Geno, but I like Ray over Takamaru or the return of R.O.B.[/collapse]
This roster ain't that bad.
Remove Porky, Robin, Impa, and Krystal and bring back Ike, Sheik, and Wolf and it's perfect (ish).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
View attachment 2359

[collapse="Reasoning"]

I say cut Robin, Impa, Saki, and Porky. Sheik and Falco should be back too. Nice ideas though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Really liking the roster. Still, my only complaint is Medusa, and even having three Kid Icarus reps in general. I don't understand what so balanced about three Kid Icarus reps. Another Zelda rep would easily be more balanced.
I don't see any Zelda reps that are very likely.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Alright... I guess I've waited long enough to get a taste of my own medicine:

Okay so a few things; I've gone for some unusual things here obviously, thought it'd be more interesting to see and critique.

Feel free to lay it on me. Tried to include a few oddities, but I think I know what's going to get said already about a few things. Just hope I didn't accidentally cut anyone from Brawl(aside from Puff, but Meowth is more personal preference than what I believe will happen).

What do you think and if by some miracle this turned out to be the real roster how would you feel about the odder inclusions?

Edit: I wanted to include Andy from Advance Wars too, but can't see a good spot for him to go...;;
Personally I would cut Lucario instead because Jiggs has Fairy Powers. And Mewtwo already had Mega Evolution and one is good enough.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I would cut Lucario instead because Jiggs has Fairy Powers. And Mewtwo already had Mega Evolution and one is good enough.
See I was going to, but then it would of been Gen 1 only and people would moan about non proper generational rep distribution. Because that matters apparently.

Although tbf I do actually like Lucario a lot. Certainly more than any other gen 4 Pokemon not named Infernape and Floatzel or an evolution of a Pokemon from an earlier gen.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
View attachment 2359

[collapse="Reasoning"]

1. You replaced the second most popular Lord with 2 characters from the same Fire Emblem Game.
  2. You added Zoroark when we have Lucario and replaced the main character of the series along with 3 Pokemon and the most popular one of all: Charizard. Besides Having Lucario, Mewtwo, AND Zoroark in the same roster is unbalanced.
  3. Porky over Lucas is not gonna happen
  4. Giriham over Toon Link is making me lol. Giriham isn't very likely in the first place and if Toon Link gets removed, its not going to be for a different Zelda character.
  5. Impa over Sheik doesn't make any sense, it just wastes development time by making things more complicated. We're not even getting Skyward designs of character
  6. Diddy & Dixie being a duo wouldn't work as they have ablities that are too different unlike Popo & Nana who are just different colors, I suggest picking between her and King K. Rool. (i'd personally go with Dixie)
  7. KRYSTAL OVER FALCO AND WOLF!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Not in a million years. You'll be super lucky if Krystal even makes it past an Assist Trophy
  8. Saki, Shulk, and Ray in the same roster is just incredibly unlikely. I'd also pick between Issac & Shulk.
  9. You don't have a retro rep. Add Takamaru.
Hopefully this isn't one of those rosters that just removes people because it hates clones. I'd give it a 2.5/10

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The whole "Which series deserves 4 reps. the most" thing again. XD
It's as if we talk about this subject like a series should just get characters for the sake of it being that series that is popular. It's a subject that really "grinds me gears."

View attachment 2359
Hello prediction thread. Have a somewhat unsafe, cut-happy roster. I tried to play to the philosophy that every character has to have something relatively distinct to add.
:rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob:
ROB is one of the most relatively distinct characters in the game. You're making my gears grind away!

Admit it, you just cut him so that the roster would look nice in the roster maker. :troll:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
It's as if we talk about this subject like a series should just get characters for the sake of it being that series that is popular. It's a subject that really "grinds me gears."

:rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob:
ROB is one of the most relatively distinct characters in the game. You're making my gears grind away!

Admit it, you just cut him so that the roster would look nice in the roster maker. :troll:
oah1x.jpg
XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom