• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Cut all of them.

Replace them with 3rd and 4th parties. Sakurai makes a public annoucment on Miiverse that Goku, Master Chief and Minecraft Steve will be playable. Fans around the world delight as Homer Simpson, Mickey Mouse and the Hulk are added on maps from the film Titanic, Oliver Twist and How I met your mother. Mario is an assist trophy.

As we Nintendo fans beg Sakurai to change his mind he shows reams of requests from Miiverse saying 'I thought this is what you wanted?'

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Cut all of them.
Cut your wrists for saying that.

Personally I think Mario, Zelda and Pokemon deserve 4 reps.:troll:

Seriously though by that I mean I don't think anyone else does unless at least one, and preferably two of those gets 5. I don't think any other franchise is as equally big as those 3.
Hmmm, yeah. I'd like for at least Mario and Pokemon to get 5.

Gune

Smash Lord
Why cant we just add Mewtwo to our current pokemon reps and leave it be, thats seems like the best representation of the series to me.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
:rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob: :rob:
ROB is one of the most relatively distinct characters in the game. You're making my gears grind away!

Admit it, you just cut him so that the roster would look nice in the roster maker. :troll:

Nah. I just really don't like R.O.B. He bores me to tears. :b Also I did say that I considered Ray's spot a throwaway, so feel free to stick another robot in there if you like. You know. In your mind.

I appreciate the critiques though. It's fine if most of you don't like it; I just thought it would be fun to look at something a little less same-y. And be glad I'm not Sakurai, Noah. Gotta cut 'em all. :D

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here's a list of 10 Smash related things that really grind my gears:

1. People who cut all the semi-clones
  2. People who ***** about Ganondorf's move set (I bet they wouldn't if it didn't already belong to C. Falcon)
  3. People who ***** about Miis
  4. People who add and remove characters because "Muh Recency"
  5. People add Impa with or without Sheik
  6. People who piss all over Bomberman because of reasons that haven't applied to SSB so far
  7. People who cut Pokemon Trainer
  8. People who add Tom Nook and use the same excuse to have him
  9. People who give out free passes to the original 12 JUST because they are one of the original 12
  10. TheDivineDeity
Keep in mind I'm not hating on anyone who does these things!

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

2. People who ***** about Ganondorf's move set (I bet they wouldn't if it didn't already belong to C. Falcon)
  6. People who piss all over Bomberman because of reasons that haven't applied to SSB so far
  9. People who give out free passes to the original 12 JUST because they are one of the original 12
  10. TheDivineDeity
Except number 10.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

10. TheDivineDeity
Mine is simple:

Ridley haters. I love all Smash fans unconditionally and equally but Ridley haters deserve a swift kick to the face by Sakurai himself.

Edit: Or perhaps a little less harsh punishment, compulsory lectures on the history of Metroid, Super Smash Bros, Smash game development and ended with a Q and A where all their anti-Ridley statements will be shown to be nothing more than drivel used to mask they've never played a Metroid game and are sheep following an already ill-informed shepherd.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth doesn't look as if it's overall important enough to represent in Smash Bros. I mean, how popular is Meowth even?
Sakurai does not add characters just because they are popular. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. Nobody asked for her. :rolleyes:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sakurai does not add characters just because they are popular. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. Nobody asked for her. :rolleyes:
Pokemon is a whole different league than that of a random series. Pokemon, it's all about popularity and being iconic. Sure, Meowth is iconic because of the anime, but there are many more pokemon just as popular, if not more, than that of Meowth that are alot more imporant and are represented in the games as well as the anime/movies, like Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, etc.

I'm dead inside.
It was a serious question, how popular is Meowth really? If any series in Smash Bros has alot of basis on popularity, it's definitely pokemon, and sure, Meowth can definitely work, I may be designing a moveset for him if more people ask for him in my "Newcomer: Up to You!" video, but is his importance really as high as that of Mewtwo or Lucario at this point?

Look at Ridley... oh, wait... he's a stage hazard, isn't he? :troll:
Well, Toon Link's a background character, can't have him either then huh? :p

Gune

Smash Lord
I'm dead inside.
You should be happy that your favorite pokemon is even represented, Hell! A good majority dont even get trophies let alone pokeball assits. My main point on the matter is that he is already represented why kick somebody out of there spot just so meowth can get more representation that just does not seem fair to me so if he can get in without takeing someone else spotlight like charizard did then I have no problem with it.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I dunno, it seems most Pokemon get in because of the Anime. And I can't think of anyone that makes more sense. Meowth is in pretty much every episode of the Anime, next to Pikachu, he's a villain, sometimes helping out the good guys.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Jigglypuff is not important in the anime nor in the games... so you cannot use the importance card.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You should be happy that your favorite pokemon is even represented, Hell! A good majority dont even get trophies let alone pokeball assits. My main point on the matter is that he is already represented why kick somebody out of there spot just so meowth can get more representation that just does not seem fair to me so if he can get in without takeing someone else spotlight like charizard did then I have no problem with it.
In that case, you should be happy that Ridley is even represented at all. Don't like the stage hazard? Too bad! :troll:

CalumG

Smash Lord
I dunno... if we're talking popularity here, ask any random person in the street if they prefer Meowth or Lucario and they'll probably say Meowth because the anime did elevate him to iconic status, like it or not. The major issue though is the whole "over-repping the first gen" thing, because although Meowth is popular and iconic, so is Pikachu, Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff less so (but that's a whole other kettle of fish). So, from a logical point of view, would it really be fair to include Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo (who is a fan-favourite to return - dismissing Mewtwo this time around would be akin to dismissing Ridley) and then carry on putting in first-gen reps rather than being a bit more diverse?

That's Meowth's problem. Not lack of popularity, lack of moveset, lack of anything - but stiff competition from his first-gen counterparts.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Then suddenly Makoto butt
Is there a problem with that good sir? :p

In that case, you should be happy that Ridley is even represented at all. Don't like the stage hazard? Too bad! :troll:
I think you're trying a little too hard there pal.

Jigglypuff is not important in the anime nor in the games... so you cannot use the importance card.
Perhaps not now, but at the time, Jigglypuff's inclusion was huge! She was super-popular everywhere at the time, her gag reel in the Anime was an on-going thing, adding Jigglypuff was so obvious at the time of Smash 64 and in Melee as well. But now, Jigglypuff has the fairy type for relevancy and the tradition of Smash Bros, so yes, when it comes to Jigglypuff, I can play the importance card.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I dunno... if we're talking popularity here, ask any random person in the street if they prefer Meowth or Lucario and they'll probably say Meowth because the anime did elevate him to iconic status, like it or not. The major issue though is the whole "over-repping the first gen" thing, because although Meowth is popular and iconic, so is Pikachu, Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff less so (but that's a whole other kettle of fish). So, from a logical point of view, would it really be fair to include Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo (who is a fan-favourite to return - dismissing Mewtwo this time around would be akin to dismissing Ridley) and then carry on putting in first-gen reps rather than being a bit more diverse?
Yes?

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

Jigglypuff was fairly important in the very early days of the anime but not as much as Meowth. I'd say the anime has become less and less important to Smash as the series has become less popular. Most 'important' pokemon these days are so because the Pokemon company decides which ones will become mascots for the current gen and they get shoe horned into advertising, anime and games. Meowth, as far as I'm concerned is no longer part of that group.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually support cutting Toon Link. Just because he isn't in SSB4 doesn't mean I cannot play as him in Brawl. :awesome: I just want a new Zelda character who is not a different version of Link or Zelda or Ganondorf.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I actually support cutting Toon Link. Just because he isn't in SSB4 doesn't mean I cannot play as him in Brawl. :awesome: I just want a new Zelda character who is not a different version of Link or Zelda or Ganondorf.
So you're basically asking for someone less important and insignificant compared to the main three? Toon Link is a character that represents a big part of the LoZ franchise, a character with a more cartoony look as opposed to the realistic look of the adult Link. Not to mention Sakurai sees the Younger Link as "The True Link" so unless he plans on cutting Toon Link for another version of Link, Toon Link's chances of leaving are slim to none.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
@Arcadenik

The Toon Link in the BG is neither the same person or game model. Almost similar to DK in Brawl.

CalumG

Smash Lord
You're not alone. There's no good reason why Link can't just represent all Links - Zelda and Ganondorf manage it just fine (well, arguable with Ganondorf, but that's not a topic for today :p). Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and Tingle just makes sense to me as the three Triforce holders, and the only Zelda character with his own spin-off (not to mention fourth in line in terms of how frequently they show up across the timeline).

But alas, Sakurai seems to find it important to have a second Link. Hopefully, he'll go back on his word since he allegedly wants every character to be more 'unique' this time around. A man can dream, ey?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
@Arcadenik

The Toon Link in the BG is neither the same person or game model. Almost similar to DK in Brawl.
That's exactly what I was going off of with Ridley as well. The Ridley of Other M is not the same Ridley as the Ridley from say Zero Mission or Super Metroid. There's no reason to assume we can't have Super Metroid Ridley, designed after his Brawl model, to be the playable character while Other M Ridley can be in the background.

No problem at all, its a magnificent view for all the board to enjoy.
Indeed...Indeed. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom