• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm not even mad because I'm not an enormous fan of the Metroid series... but if Ridley isn't in, butts will be hurt.

That being said, I think this is another case of liberal interpretation of Sakurai's quotes. He was very specific to not mention Ridley in that quote - it could well be that he's intentionally trying to stir up emotions in Smash fans. It wouldn't be the first time. One need only look at the Megaman trailer; the screen pans up to a silhouette of a guy with generic animu hair, before revealing it to be Megaman. In that split second, it could have been any number of floppy-haired Japanese dudes that the fanbase supports, and then it went in a different direction entirely and turned out to be Megaman.

I'm not saying it's the same thing, but Sakurai is very precise with his actions to steer fan-reactions in different directions. I think it's far too early to judge just yet.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
wat.jpg

Good visual design, good platform layout, good music too - but that whole lava gimmick in Norfair (including the whole 'race to the safety capsule' thing) was bogus and you know it. Literally ruined the stage. Kind of like Mario Bros., I guess - good stage and music, ruined by the enemies on-screen and the damage they can do. I want to fight my opponents, not the stage.
From a competitive point of view, yes.

Personally, I like Norfair the best because of how it turns the acid/lava thing from Zebes and Brinstar up to eleven and adds more unique hazards than those two. Also, the music.

I think we've had enough rising acid/lava stages, though. I hope the Pyrosphere adds some new stage hazards to the mix. That don't involve Ridley.

----

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I just don't see how Ridley is all that great.
Because he is the main antagonist in one of the most acclaimed series in Nintendo and is one of the most requested new comers in both polls and fans?

.n_n.

PD. Oh and forget to say is a BIG PURPLE DRAGON FROM THE SPACE what more you need to not like something like that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just don't see how Ridley is all that great.
That's fine, everybody can't like the same things, there's obviously quite an array of characters I don't like/don't care for too, but I'm not going around complaining about them unless I'm asked about my opinion about them specifically. It's just a matter of discipline.

CalumG

Smash Lord
From a competitive point of view, yes.

Personally, I like Norfair the best because of how it turns the acid/lava thing from Zebes and Brinstar up to eleven and adds more unique hazards than those two. Also, the music.

I think we've had enough rising acid/lava stages, though. I hope the Pyrosphere adds some new stage hazards to the mix. That don't involve Ridley.

----
Competitive nothing, I don't play competitively but there's a difference between a unique stage gimmick and a dumb one.

If it feels like you have to watch out for the stage gimmick more than you do for the other players, it's doing it wrong. Gimmicks on stages like Frigate Orpheon, Luigi's Mansion, Summit, Pokemon Stadium (I and II) and Pictochat are quirky. Gimmicks on stages like 75m, Norfair and Big Blue are just intrusive.

More power to you if you like them though... but it's something I'll never understand.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
wat.jpg

Good visual design, good platform layout, good music too - but that whole lava gimmick in Norfair (including the whole 'race to the safety capsule' thing) was bogus and you know it. Literally ruined the stage. Kind of like Mario Bros., I guess - good stage and music, ruined by the enemies on-screen and the damage they can do. I want to fight my opponents, not the stage.

It's not even half as bad as you make it sound like.

You just double jump and later Up+B and you just skipped the tidal wave.

Heck, you can even block it, if you've got your shield intact.

The part where the lava comes from either side of the screen and takes up half the stage... fine. But this is almost no more different from Melee Brinstar.

--

Maybe it's part because I main Samus, but I just love all the tethering options of this stage. :p

On a side note... People are way too sensitive here today, I better go to some other section of the boards.
Wouldn't want to wish certain things that the majority of this board will hate. :/
(Like having two Punch Out characters)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You know this works the same for ALL of us, right?:)
Of course we ALL do this at some point. My point is that it leads people to believe the certainty of only one possible outcome like King K. Rool being the only feasible DK rep or Mewtwo being the ONLY Pokemon that will be added to the roster, in fact most people base cuts on their roster on the characters they wouldn't care to see leave.

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys look closely at today's picture. Does anyone else think it looks like some stages will be 3D (in the fact that you can move in all directions, not just side to side.)?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who else thinks that Toad is a good choice? Sh*t I'm fine with that.
I think Toad is the best choice out of the pool of Mario newcomers, that's for sure. He'd be pretty fun.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
I think Toad is the best choice out of the pool of Mario newcomers, that's for sure. He'd be pretty fun.

But I think we have enough Mario characters. 4 has to be the limit. Someone must get replaced.
Ever thought that Toad came out of Peaches vagina? Perfect...Peach can retire them ****.

But all in seriousness, Toad is awesome for SSB4 but what category should he be placed in? Yoshi or Super Mario?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But I think we have enough Mario characters. 4 has to be the limit. Someone must get replaced.
Ever thought that Toad came out of Peaches vagina? Perfect...Peach can retire them ****.

But all in seriousness, Toad is awesome for SSB4 but what category should he be placed in? Yoshi or Super Mario?
Super Mario, definitely. It would make no sense for him to be a Yoshi character. Plus, Mario can definitely warrant five characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Who else thinks that Toad is a good choice? Sh*t I'm fine with that.
I think we're picking out of Mario's hat when it comes to adding characters. I think Toad is the most likely, but then again Bowser Jr is pretty likely too. Then there is the likely possibility of Paper Mario due to the fact that Sakurai planned to have a second Mario (Dr. Mario) in the last 2 installments rather than an actual new character.

I have Paper Mario because of the last reason, but I can't say he's any more likely than the other Mario nominees. I'd prefer to be quoted on that if a 5th Mario character appears.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
Super Mario, definitely. It would make no sense for him to be a Yoshi character. Plus, Mario can definitely warrant five characters.

Wasn't Toad in Yoshi Island when Yoshi found Baby Mario??? Oh wait. I dunno. I gotta check.

Lolwut?
Why is 4 the limit?

Meh. There is a limit of 4 characters in each category in Brawl. Such as Mario and Zelda category. Which I think it's enough. But you'll never know. SSB4 character roster might be bigger than 35 characters. High chance that is considering it's gonna be big.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Meh. There is a limit of 4 characters in each category in Brawl. Such as Mario and Zelda category. Which I think it's enough. But you'll never know. SSB4 character roster might be bigger than 35 characters. High chance that is considering it's gonna be big.
It's not a "limit", it just so happened that the big three franchises had three roster slots. Melee had less characters but still settled on 5 Mario reps.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
I think we're picking out of Mario's hat when it comes to adding characters. I think Toad is the most likely, but then again Bowser Jr is pretty likely too. Then there is the likely possibility of Paper Mario due to the fact that Sakurai planned to have a second Mario (Dr. Mario) in the last 2 installments rather than an actual new character.

I have Paper Mario because of the last reason, but I can't say he's any more likely than the other Mario nominees. I'd prefer to be quoted on that if a 5th Mario character appears.
I personally do not agree any more clones. Toon Link was bad enough for me. Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Yarn Kirby? Not for me. Toad, on the other hand, fits perfectly because he is in lots of Super Mario games. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. Now that's the perfect roster for the Mario category.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
It's not a "limit", it just so happened that the big three franchises had three roster slots. Melee had less characters but still settled on 5 Mario reps.

Ahhhh. Thanks. You just made me my life easier.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Are you suggesting Paper Mario would be a clone? That's a bit silly. Sure, he's a Mario, but that's probably around where the similarities would end...

Edit: Yeah, what Noah said. :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
Paper Mario shouldn't be a clone, but you know... this is Sakurai we're talking about here. I wouldn't put it past him making Paper Mario a Mario semi-clone, with a replacement for the FLUDD (a hammer?) and Game and Watch's style of rendering a 3D model as a flat character with an outline.

SmashPro97

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0920-6255
Srsly though, what made you think Paper Mario would even be considered to be a Mario clone?

And what Yoshi game did you play that featured Toad!?

Paper Mario would be a clone. With VERY different moves. Such as Ike and Marth. But MUCH more different. Well clone is a strong word. Lets just say similar.

And Lol that was my bad. I was thinking of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom