• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm not even going to bother starting a DKC debate into that because it's not worth my time but DKC can definitely have four characters. Here's the fact with it like with Star Fox no matter how much people want to admit it: Both can easily have the fourth and third and fourth character. Really. Krystal isn't that much of a stretch, and in every Smash Hoes game we've seen at least one series go to having two newcomers. DKC basically deserves it because of sales and Star Fox basically deserves it because of fan request.

Really I don't see why people think otherwise, but maybe they weren't there for the amount of people that wanted Krystal and Wolf for a start. I think both series should get them. Deal with it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Why do series representation even really matter anymore? I mean they broke Wario off into his own series and his logo is just a friggin W.Why not give each character their own logos? Don't they have their own in the Mario/Sonic olympics games? Giving each character their own logo increases their importance and individual icon status and kills the arguments like "Toad won't get in cuz there's already enough Mario characters." The only place in Brawl where series takes effect is classic and all star modes. And it feels dumb in all star that when series are arranged by debut year and Lucario is lumped in with the 1996 Pokemon. The purpose of the game is to bring the characters together, not segregate them into groups.
Somebody buy this man a cheeseburger.

So if Ridley doesn't make it, I guess no Metroid reps :troll:
Yup. There's genuinely nobody else to add. Maybe Dark Samus, at a push - although I'd still be disappointed with that. Adding Sylux before Ridley would be like adding Wart (lolwut) before Bowser. Adding a side-villain/anti-hero before the big cheese. A one timer before the real deal.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not even going to bother starting a DKC debate into that because it's not worth my time but DKC can definitely have four characters. Here's the fact with it like with Star Fox no matter how much people want to admit it: Both can easily have the fourth and third and fourth character. Really. Krystal isn't that much of a stretch, and in every Smash Hoes game we've seen at least one series go to having two newcomers. DKC basically deserves it because of sales and Star Fox basically deserves it because of fan request.

Really I don't see why people think otherwise, but maybe they weren't there for the amount of people that wanted Krystal and Wolf for a start. I think both series should get them. Deal with it.
Maybe because Sakurai has never suggested that he bases character additions off of sales.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sure, Sakurai can spout diversity all he wants and yet he casually adds clones.
i kinda think this won't lie

he and the other producers shouted "WE'RE GONNA MAKe SMASH 4 ORIGINAL" and to this day, months in, they have not showed anything original. Not even with the Wii U tablet. Meanwhile they praise new characters.

they're all hypocritical tbh

Maybe because Sakurai has never suggested that he bases character additions off of sales.
Sales was a lazy reason, but there's for sure more reasons DKC can have it. I really do agree though. Sales hasn't mattered anywhere in Smash for the most part really. What goes on in Sakurai and other Producer's mind is probably FAR beyond our understanding.

edit: Apologies for double post

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
arguments like "Toad won't get in cuz there's already enough Mario characters."
About this... why is it that this argument is usually used against Toad but not against Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Dr. Mario?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
i kinda think this won't lie

he and the other producers shouted "WE'RE GONNA MAKe SMASH 4 ORIGINAL" and to this day, months in, they have not showed anything original. Not even with the Wii U tablet. Meanwhile they praise new characters.

they're all hypocritical tbh
I have no reason to believe Semi-clones won't return in SSB4. I'm looking at you Dixie & Medusa!

Espio264

Smash Ace
A
Somebody buy this man a cheeseburger.

Yup. There's genuinely nobody else to add. Maybe Dark Samus, at a push - although I'd still be disappointed with that. Adding Sylux before Ridley would be like adding Wart (lolwut) before Bowser. Adding a side-villain/anti-hero before the big cheese. A one timer before the real deal.
A cheeseburger would be very good right now.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Sakurai on a normal day:

"Hmmm... there's still an open spot or two on the roster. Now, to decide who to add to it."

*casually looks around Miiverse and finds a bunch of posts about Ridley being in Smash 4.*

"GENIUS! All I have todo is reskin Charizard, add a few tweaks, and BOOM! Ridley's in the game! Now, for that last spot..."

*a month later*

Gamer: OH BOY! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!

*Birdo pops up and rolls around in her egg, ground pounds and sucks in the player while pooping out an egg.*

Gamer: Heads will roll.

Espio264

Smash Ace
He was
About this... why is it that this argument is usually used against Toad but not against Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Dr. Mario?
He was just the first thing that came to mind. It applies to Dixie and Krystal and Roy and whoever from whatever series as well. Personally I'd love Paper Mario.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Sakurai on a normal day:

"Hmmm... there's still an open spot or two on the roster. Now, to decide who to add to it."

*casually looks around Miiverse and finds a bunch of posts about Ridley being in Smash 4.*

"GENIUS! All I have todo is reskin Charizard, add a few tweaks, and BOOM! Ridley's in the game! Now, for that last spot..."

*a month later*

Gamer: OH BOY! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!

*Birdo pops up and rolls around in her egg, ground pounds and sucks in the player while pooping out an egg.*

Gamer: Heads will roll.
It's funny 'cos it's true. :p

Like seriously, Wario almost got into Melee as a fat Mario clone. Can you imagine if not only did Ganondorf get in as Clonedorf (something which still needs fixing), but Wario got in as Fat Mario? Gamers would be out for blood.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The fact that an actual Mario CHARACTER hasn't been planned the last 2 times, but instead Dr. Mario, I'm influenced to go with Paper Mario. Not to say I am anyway suggesting characters not getting in before prevents them now.

Better...

But still a slap to the face.
Why is that better?

CalumG

Smash Lord
The fact that an actual Mario CHARACTER hasn't been planned the last 2 times, but instead Dr. Mario, I'm influenced to go with Paper Mario. Not to say I am anyway suggesting characters not getting in before prevents them now.
The last two times? Huh... I guess Peach and Bowser weren't newcomers in Melee then. Drop everything people, let's go get our N64's out and unlock these two sneaky buggers!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is that better?
Rundas is actually important in the game he's in and the most iconic out of the three Corruption hunters. Plus he's more popular.

Sylux is just one hunter out of many. He's not given more importance than the other Prime hunters and is generally forgettable.

Kinda like how Zero Suit Samus got in Brawl over Ridley was a slap to the face, huh? :troll:

Must be tough to be a Ridley fan. :awesome:
Not as hard as being a Dog Hunt Dog supporter. :troll:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A slap to the face? Explain.
Well... In the big scheme of things Rundas still isn't important or that popular either.

If we got no Ridley (which I could live with) Dark Samus would be next in line due to her iconic status and important roles.

I'd be like getting E.Gadd before Luigi ya know?

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Well... In the big scheme of things Rundas still isn't important or that popular either.

If we got no Ridley (which I could live with) Dark Samus would be next in line due to her iconic status and important roles.

Very true. I just always figured that if we don't get Ridley, a top contender for another Metroid rep would of been either Rundas or Dark Samus. :ohwell:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Very true. I just always figured that if we don't get Ridley, a top contender for another Metroid rep would of been either Rundas or Dark Samus. :ohwell:
Add Anthony to the list.

Potentially, he could appear again. Considering he's still alive and people liked him.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Back on topic, who's the most popular retro character (besides Takamaru/Little Mac?)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Back on topic, who's the most popular retro character (besides Takamaru/Little Mac?)
Little Mac isn't a retro character.

But after Takamaru, probably Mach Rider.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I seriously imagine Sakurai back in Brawl "We should add someone from Metroid!! But who ... *looks around* I know, how about Samus without the armor!!"

And then somewhere, a Ridley fan woke up in a cold sweat.

Espio264

Smash Ace
What if there were an item like the metal block or a vs. mode that makes everybody paper characters? That way we could have paper mario, luigi, peach and bowser without taking up roster spots. It would be cool to see paper pikachu, sonic, metaknight, ike etc. Paper Ridley anybody? And I guess it would make Game and watch 3 dimensional. Of course it would take so much time to rerender each character, that it makes the whole idea ridiculous.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'd say Mach Rider. Little Mac isn't really a retro character though.

And if I had to make a personal pick, my favorite retro is Bubbles from Clu Clu Land.
Little Mac isn't a retro character.
But after Takamaru, probably Mach Rider.

Yeah, I included Little Mac because he WAS considered a retro before Brawl. But, in my opinion, I'd like a lot of retros, including my own Tamagon. But, in all seriousness, if a retro gets in other than Takamaru, it's probably going to be Lip, Mach Rider or Duck Hunt Dog.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I honestly wouldn't support Dark Samus, even if she is more recurring than Bounty Hunters.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I honestly wouldn't support Dark Samus, even if she is more recurring than Bounty Hunters.
K.

Do you want me to ask why?

I'm just gonna guess that you find the hunters more unique. Right?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people here let what they think should happen get in the way of what likely will happen.

You know this works the same for ALL of us, right? :)

//

I can't agree with the fact that because some already represented franchises have stopped pumping out sequels, there should be more characters from them, just so "they are remembered".

It makes more sense to me that MAIN characters who have not yet been playable SHOULD, so that THEIR games are not only remembered, but aknowledged / taken seriously as part of the Nintendo universe.

Espio264

Smash Ace
SmashU3.jpg

I made myself try to come up with a roster that was a little smaller in size than my ideal roster (44 slots seems realistic for Smash 4). I made myself make cuts, even ones that are really REALLY unnecessary, but reminiscent of the Melee cuts (Mewtwo, Roy). And I threw in a random character that everybody doesn't see coming (Duck Hunt Dog) and one that doesn't seem likely but isn't so out there (Paper Mario). By no means do I think the real roster will be this one, but I think it'll be something similar in overall scope. Any thoughts?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
View attachment 2268

I made myself try to come up with a roster that was a little smaller in size than my ideal roster (44 slots seems realistic for Smash 4). I made myself make cuts, even ones that are really REALLY unnecessary, but reminiscent of the Melee cuts (Mewtwo, Roy). And I threw in a random character that everybody doesn't see coming (Duck Hunt Dog) and one that doesn't seem likely but isn't so out there (Paper Mario). By no means do I think the real roster will be this one, but I think it'll be something similar in overall scope. Any thoughts?
I'd replace the Duck Hunt Dog with K.Rool since WFT seems to be our WTF character.
I also think that Falco is more likely to get cut than Wolf is.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I respect all thoughts, but I'll fight anybody on Falco cut before Wolf. It's like cutting Luigi in favor of a Koopaling. Don't get me wrong I love Wolf and I don't want him cut, but you can't say he's more important to Smash Bros. than Falco.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I respect all thoughts, but I'll fight anybody on Falco cut before Wolf. It's like cutting Luigi in favor of a Koopaling. Don't get me wrong I love Wolf and I don't want him cut, but you can't say he's more important to Smash Bros. than Falco.
Agreed.

Falco is a two time veteran who has no real need to go.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd actually change Paper Mario who seems to have been put there just to complete a 2nd column of "Mario" characters. K.Rool could fulfill that role just as easy, since people tell me he appeared in one of the Strikers games.

But my main gripe is how Little Mac is still being branded RETRO.... Because apparently 2009 was so long ago, and 2010 for Kid Icarus was only yesterday.
XD
If anything Captain Falcon is more retro now.

BTW I seem to notice the new thing is to create bigger rosters (in size, not character slots). I find that kinda cooler, I didn't quite like the previous versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom