• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people here let what they think should happen get in the way of what likely will happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people here let what they think should happen get in the way of what likely will happen.
Personally, as far as Mario characters go, I think Toad should be the next added, but I think his chances are only on par with Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. Preference-wise, I could care less, I think they'd all make fine characters.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Oh that happens to all of us.

But really, as I said before, Dixie doesn't have all that many advantages. She's not gonna get picked just because of tropical freeze, and we really don't know how she planned that.

Then again hey, K. Rool wasn't even that popular on the NSider Brawl Polls just for a start if memory serves me correctly, and I'm probably one of the people here that can say more against him unlike others. (And he's one of the chars I like more)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Paper Mario, the answer is always PAPER MARIO.

Whatever happens to the roster in general is up to Sakurai, I guess we shouldn't discuss the roster at all then?
Whoa I think you're onto something there with that Calum...

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
lol! I say it's actually the exact opposite way around. Also a lot of us may think Mario shouldn't get new reps, but that doesn't mean it won't. Especially since it hasn't had a new rep for a while.

I think you're right about the new rep thing. I still think it's best that it doesn't get one in that it will give other under-repped and new series a chance for characters but I can see Sakurai shoving one in anyway.

I know you love the idea for Paper Mario and agree he'd have an interesting moveset but I don't like the idea of having multiple 'same' characters. I know it's been done with Link but I don't think Nintendo views the 'paper' series as important as say the 'toon' series is to Zelda. I also think it would be difficult to show the visual differences on the 3DS. While on Wii U it would be obvious, on the 3DS, given both Paper and normal Mario have the same colouring and height no amount of outlining is going to help spot the difference.

Toad I still see as a 'generic' character. Someone who's not one specific character but rather a random member of a race or group. Not that this rules him out, so is Yoshi and Pokemon trainer, but they're both protagonists of their own series. Toad isn't. Still I think he'd be ok.

Bowser Jr. has become very important to Mario recently and he's got more than enough going for him for a unique moveset.

Most the reasons are simply personal, no doubt Sakurai will find a way to prove me wrong. Besides, I'd take any of these three over anyone else in the mario series any day.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
let's not talk about anything because it's up to the producer staff

okay

who isnt able to wait for smash 4 guys
I am able to wait for SSB4. I have Animal Crossing to keep me busy... not to mention, the fall semester is starting next week for me so I might not be as active as usual.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Oh that happens to all of us.

But really, as I said before, Dixie doesn't have all that many advantages. She's not gonna get picked just because of tropical freeze, and we really don't know how she planned that.
In terms of uniqueness King K. Rool wins. In terms of importance, recurrence, and such; Dixie wins. Oh, and she was gonna be in Brawl :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There shouldn't be any Dixie vs K.Rool debates. That's stupid.

Both should make it in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad >>>>>>>>> Paper Mario > Bowser Jr. = Dr. Mario >>> Waluigi

Oh yeah!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I am able to wait for SSB4. I have Animal Crossing to keep me busy... not to mention, the fall semester is starting next week for me so I might not be as active as usual.
I don't even have enough money for Dream Team! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I WANT THAT ****ING GAME!!!!! I wanna get Animal Crossing & Fire Emblem too, but I still need to lay back on buying games because my parents are buying me an iPhone for school.

There shouldn't be any Dixie vs K.Rool debates. That's stupid.

Both should make it in.
I just don't see the DK series getting 4 reps. I don't think the amount of games really affects that.

@Venus

I think a certain somebody should come before Birdo :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have enough money for Dream Team but I am not buying it just yet... Animal Crossing is keeping me occupied and soon college will too. Meh, maybe I will just buy the game now and play it when I get bored with Animal Crossing (that might happen once I complete the museum collection and finished building all my most-wanted public works projects and there are no more DLC).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't see why the DK series doesn't deserve four reps. Sure it might not get four, but it's big enough (amount-of-games-wise and commercially), popular enough, and has two more-than-qualified characters. It's definitely the series that should be next in line, much moreso than Kirby, SF, or FE tbh. Whether it will get four is obviously another question.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think DKC deserves it more than enough. It has had a very strong, recent revival, pushing it right back up to one of Nintendo's top series again. DKC was always quite ven with Zelda, despite the lack of succes in years. Now, they are probably even.

Anyway, as of Mario characters, I think:

Toad > Paper Mario = Bowser Jr. >> Dr.Mario > Waluigi

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nabbit would be awesome. I always saw him as an ultimate troll character. His special gimmick would be that he can't be damaged. But he's really light ( lightest in the game), quite easy to combo due to fall speed, and has average jumps but terrible and predictable recovery. His attacks are also a little clumpsy, and he lacks finishers as well.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to implement a similar strategy for in the wait for 4 as I did for Brawl. Wait for the other big releases and use them to take my mind off it. Summer's given me chance to catch up but now I'm going to go from GTA V to Pokemon and use them to keep my mind off Smash for too long. Only difference is this time is I'm at university so I have to chose now between eating and playing games. I slashed my food budget to afford Skyrim and then Mass Effect 3 in my first year so I don't see why I can't do it again :ohwell:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know I still don't see it. For one I think the representation of the series would be quite sufficient with just one of the two. Also the series has been pretty unsuccessful before Donkey Kong Country Returns. I don't know if the fact that it originated as a Mario spin off and features it's characters in Mario games should affect the decision of 4 DK reps. I think other things are more important to focus on before having Dixie AND King K. Rool.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
sigh...I come on to the forums and first thing I see is another f***ing Dixie vs. K. Rool discussion. Bah, I'll pass

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Frankly I'm always refreshed when it's a Mario or DK discussion as opposed to a Pokemon/Fire Emblem one.

We should be discussing more Zelda. Anyone else clutching to the slight hope that the Groose goes loose?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Nabbit just screams of assist trophy. He can replace the uselessness that was Munchlax.
He's been on my AT list for quite a while as the Munchlax.

Nabbit would be awesome. I always saw him as an ultimate troll character. His special gimmick would be that he can't be damaged. But he's really light ( lightest in the game), quite easy to combo due to fall speed, and has average jumps but terrible and predictable recovery. His attacks are also a little clumpsy, and he lacks finishers as well.
Behold, the ultimate troll addition:

Fun Fact: He's my second most wanted character, and I don't care how raged people would get if he got in :troll: :troll: :troll:

CalumG

Smash Lord
Frankly I'm always refreshed when it's a Mario or DK discussion as opposed to a Pokemon/Fire Emblem one.

We should be discussing more Zelda. Anyone else clutching to the slight hope that the Groose goes loose?
Nope, but I'm hoping that Tingle is ready to mingle. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's funny how people think DONKEY KONG is a spin-off of MARIO when MARIO first appeared in DONKEY KONG.

I blame Nintendo.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
He's been on my AT list for quite a while as the Munchlax.

Behold, the ultimate troll addition:

Fun Fact: He's my second most wanted character, and I don't care how raged people would get if he got in :troll: :troll: :troll:

So your two most wanted characters are characters who have a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of making it in?

CalumG

Smash Lord
It's funny how people think DONKEY KONG is a spin-off of MARIO when MARIO first appeared in DONKEY KONG.

I blame Nintendo.
The Donkey Kong series is basically a spin-off of the Mario series though. Donkey Kong is a game where you play as Mario, jumping over things and saving a damsel in distress from a big beast. It may be called Donkey Kong, but it's as much about Donkey Kong as Zelda is about Zelda - Mario was the hero, and it set up many tropes for the Mario series to come. Then DKC branched off in a different direction. It's a very wishy-washy grey area, but I'd be quick to argue that the original Donkey Kong set up much more of the elements of the modern Mario series than it did the modern Donkey Kong series (especially considering that it's not even fan-favourite DK up there throwing barrels, but Cranky instead).

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
I consider Donkey Kong and MAYBE Wario their own series. Yoshi on the other hand is pretty much a Mario sub-series in my eyes

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I consider Donkey Kong and MAYBE Wario their own series. Yoshi on the other hand is pretty much a Mario sub-series in my eyes
In your eyes.

But definitely not Sakurai's eyes.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
lol, MAYBE!?!?!? :laugh:

Well here's the thing. WarioWare, yes. Wario Land, not quite as much. It did basically originate from the Mario Land games especially since Mario makes a cameo appearance in the ending of Wario Land 1, so obviously Mario & Wario Land are somewhat connected. I guess technically Wario can be considered his own series, but whatever :rolleyes:

CalumG

Smash Lord
Wario is even less connected to Mario than Donkey Kong is. Apart from Mario Land 2, and Mario & Wario, he's pretty much entirely separate (not counting party games like Kart here). Even Donkey Kong at least has his own series with Mario in the form of the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong series - Wario doesn't even have anything like that. He's been an entirely separate entity to the Mario franchise since long before even the year 2000.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well here's the thing. WarioWare, yes. Wario Land, not quite as much. It did basically originate from the Mario Land games especially since Mario makes a cameo appearance in the ending of Wario Land 1, so obviously Mario & Wario Land are somewhat connected. I guess technically Wario can be considered his own series, but whatever :rolleyes:
Look at it this way.

The Mario,DK, Yoshi and Wario series are like the Marvel universe.

The characters interact with each other quite a bit and share a lot of settings, events and villains, but in the end, can you really call Spiderman a Captain America character? No. Because while they interact with each other quite a bit, they also have their own identity and own adventures.

I hope that makes sense.

What if Ridley reappears as a boss in the new adventure mode and Sylux was made playable...

That would be a slap in the face.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally, I think Chrom shouldn't be in this game. But, I do accept his likeliness
At this point the phase of "Chrom won't get in" has been changed to "Chrom will get in much to the fanfare of all two people".

I MEAN REMEMBER THAT TIME WITH THE INTERVIEWS ABOUT SAKURAI TALKING ABOUT DIVERSITY? YEAH JUST HIM TRICKING THE READERS WITH AN INGENIOUS RUSE LEL FOOLED YOU.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sure, Sakurai can spout diversity all he wants and yet he casually adds clones.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Why do series representation even really matter anymore? I mean they broke Wario off into his own series and his logo is just a friggin W.Why not give each character their own logos? Don't they have their own in the Mario/Sonic olympics games? Giving each character their own logo increases their importance and individual icon status and kills the arguments like "Toad won't get in cuz there's already enough Mario characters." The only place in Brawl where series takes effect is classic and all star modes. And it feels dumb in all star that when series are arranged by debut year and Lucario is lumped in with the 1996 Pokemon. The purpose of the game is to bring the characters together, not segregate them into groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom