• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Thirdkoopa, I don't want to sound like a pest, but I don't suppose you have a source for stating that the third game in the Nintendo-Sonic partnership isn't Sonic's participation in Smash Bros.? Not that I doubt you of course - I just like to have sources for future reference. :p

Also in regards to Takamaru and Balloon Fighter in Nintendo Land, it's worth considering that they were included due to being Nintendo EAD franchises (and thus there were no rights issues) as opposed to second-party franchises, or franchises from other internal Nintendo companies. Even within the company itself, there's various rights issues and issues of using a games image from another dev team - Murasame Castle and Balloon Fighter were simply easier to work with from EAD's point of view than, say, a Game Freak property or a HAL Laboratories one. It's the same reason as why you only see Nintendo EAD games referenced in Animal Crossing - it's simply more convenient.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Thirdkoopa, I don't want to sound like a pest, but I don't suppose you have a source for stating that the third game in the Nintendo-Sonic partnership isn't Sonic's participation in Smash Bros.? Not that I doubt you of course - I just like to have sources for future reference. :p

Also in regards to Takamaru and Balloon Fighter in Nintendo Land, it's worth considering that they were included due to being Nintendo EAD franchises (and thus there were no rights issues) as opposed to second-party franchises, or franchises from other internal Nintendo companies. Even within the company itself, there's various rights issues and issues of using a games image from another dev team - Murasame Castle and Balloon Fighter were simply easier to work with from EAD's point of view than, say, a Game Freak property or a HAL Laboratories one. It's the same reason as why you only see Nintendo EAD games referenced in Animal Crossing - it's simply more convenient.
Huh, hadn't thought of that. But still, isn't Takamaru's game relatively obscure compared to other EAD? Granted, I guess if they wanted a game with shuriken, his game is really the only one that would function.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm going to be blunt in here: Go search for the ORIGINAL ARTICLE WHERE THEY STATE IT AND READ THE CONTEXT - They said three sonic games from THEM. Do I really need a source on this? If SEGA was with Nintendo and Namco-Bandai on this game, that'd be one thing, but they aren't. They said their own game. They said a ton of other stuff that dis-confirmedit anyways and said all seven games on the Wii U are from them

That doesn't mean Sonic is deconfirmed of course, in-fact it helps him more, but really? You guys are looking to add more holes than swiss cheese.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Honestly if a massive cut spree happened it would be horrible, I know most of my favorite characters wouldn't get in, there'd probably be DLC, and more importantly: I'd laugh so hard.
Honestly, I wouldn't care nor would think it would really have such a drastic effect if you pick out the right choices. I've done rosters that had only 20 characters on it and there was still a sense of diversity, arguably more so depending on the prospective used.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Honestly, I wouldn't care nor would think it would really have such a drastic effect if you pick out the right choices. I've done rosters that had only 20 characters on it and there was still a sense of diversity, arguably more so depending on the prospective used.
Yeah. I just doubt a massive cut roster for many reasons; mainly because we're getting so many vets confirmed. I'm thinking though. Let's say ten characters had to be cut: Who'd you pick?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sukapon is a very logical choice I see Sakurai making. But, I think Sheriff makes more sense than Muddy Mole.
Are we forgetting that Sakurai said no to Sukapon and to not expect him in future installments?
At least Muddy has been mentioned for both of the previous games. jokingly but it was still a positive comment

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'm going to be blunt in here: Go search for the ORIGINAL ARTICLE WHERE THEY STATE IT AND READ THE CONTEXT - They said three sonic games from THEM. Do I really need a source on this? If SEGA was with Nintendo and Namco-Bandai on this game, that'd be one thing, but they aren't. They said their own game. They said a ton of other stuff that dis-confirmedit anyways and said all seven games on the Wii U are from them

That doesn't mean Sonic is deconfirmed of course, in-fact it helps him more, but really? You guys are looking to add more holes than swiss cheese.

I was just asking a question bro.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Are we forgetting that Sakurai said no to Sukapon and to not expect him in future installments?
At least Muddy has been mentioned for both of the previous games. jokingly but it was still a positive comment
Quick question where did he say no to sukapon? I'm not doubting you but I would like to read more into that. (You could also link to muddy mentions :p)

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
sorry; I didn't mean any of that personally. I'm just thinking "REALLY?! A SOURCE?! I need a SOURCE?!" when the source is in everything. If that's not good enough, twitter confirmed it at some point somewhere in the past two months.
People want a source because they want to read it themselves. Just telling them what you read isn't gonna cut it for most people.

Lucas, Trainer, Snake, Ike, R.O.B, Toon Link, Falco, Wario, Pit, and Meta Knight.
Go home KingShadow, you are drunk.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

CalumG

Smash Lord
sorry; I didn't mean any of that personally. I'm just thinking "REALLY?! A SOURCE?! I need a SOURCE?!" when the source is in everything. If that's not good enough, twitter confirmed it at some point somewhere in the past two months.
Haha no worries, it's just hard to take what people say on Smash forums at face value without something to back it up. :p When you've got people left, right and center making up/exaggerating facts about their favourite/least favourite characters, misinformation spreading like wildfire (Meowth in Smash 64 lolwut) and various other issues (mistranslation and the like), it's always good to ask - better to be sure than to take something at face value and potentially end up citing false information later down the line. xD

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm most of the time not that serious anyways. If it was something more important, I'd throw a source

Anyways, here's a list of the characters I'd go with from Brawl (also Mewtwo returns, Ness and Jigglypuff come back if 27, and they're at least DLC) Green = Already confirmed:
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Bowser
5. Lucas
6. Marth
7. Donkey Kong
8. Diddy Kong
9. Yoshi
10. Wario
11. Link
12. Zelda/Sheikk
13. Ganondorf
14. Samus
15. Pit
16. Ice Climbers
17. Kirby
18. Meta-Knight
19. King Dedede
20. Olimar
21. Fox
22. Wolf
23. Captain Falcon
24. Pikachu
25. Lucario
Anddddd 26. M G&W (But would cut if I had to, or one of the supports)
27. Ness
28. Jiggly

This was hard as **** to do, but if something like this happened, we'd get about 15-20 newcomers.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
i keep reading tamagon as tatanga

(psst by the way
if the knowledgeable people here could look at this and see if there's anything not considered to be a nintendo game/stuff that's missing, that'd be very nice
i'm doing this because of reasons)

Here is list of retro, forgotten and obscure video games from Nintendo, you should check it:

Tier One:
-) Mach Rider - Mach Rider (Nes 1985, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: sticker and trophy in Smash Series, WarioWare minigame).
-) Takamaru - Nazo no Murasame-jō (Famicom Disk System 1986, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Pikmin 2, Captain Rainbow, Smash Series, WarioWare minigame, Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land).
-) Bubbles - Clu Clu Land (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2009, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Series, DK: King of Swing, WarioWare minigame).
-) Tamagon - Devil World (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Smash Series, Tetris DS, Captain Rainbow, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Prince of Sablé - For the Frog the Bell Tolls (Game Boy 1992, 3DS Virtual Console 2012, cameo: Smash Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Link´s Awakening).
-) Stanley - Donkey Kong 3 (2 games; 1º Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2009, 2º Game & Watch "Green House", cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames).
-) Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fight (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2013, cameo and game in Animal Crossing, cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames, Tetris DS, Picross DS, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Donkey Kong Jr. - Donkey Kong Jr. (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Donkey Kong Jr., Virtual Console 2011, 2º Nes 1986 Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Donkey Kong '94, WarioWare mingame, Mario Kart, Mario´s Tennis, Super Mario All-Stars, Mario´s Time Machine, Game & Watch Gallery, Punch-Out!!, Smash Ping Pong, Smash Series, Tetris DS).
-) Character - Urban Champion (Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: WarioWare minigame, Tetris DS, Smash Brawl).
-) Ryota Hayami - Wave Race (2 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1997 Wave Race 64, Virtual Console 2007, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Akari Hayami - 1080º Snowboarding (3 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1998 1080º Snowboarding, Virtual Console 2008, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, 3º GameCube 2004 1080º Avalanche, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Lip - Panel de Pon (Super Famicom 1995, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Panel de Pon DS, Smash Series, Captain Rainbow).
-) Wanda - Mario and Wario (2 games; 1º Super Famicom 1993 Mario and Wario, 2º Nes 1995 Wario´s Woods, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Melee, Kirby Super Star).
-) Ayumi Tachibana - Tantei Club (3 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, 3º Satellaview 1997 Tantei Club: Yuki ni Kieta Kako, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Donbe and Hikari - Shin Onigashima (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1987 Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2007, 2º Super Famicom 1998 Heisei Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2010, cameo: Yūyūki, Kirby´s Dream Land 3, Smash Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers, Jam with the Band, Captain Rainbow).
-) Lolo - Eggerland (12 games; 1º MSX1985 Eggerland Mystery, 2º MSX2 1986 Labyrinth Myth, 3º Famicom Disk System 1987 Eggerland, 4º Famicom 1988 Eggerland - Revival of the Labyrinth, 5º Famicom Disk System 1988 Eggerland - Departure to Creation, 6º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo Virtual Console 2007, 7º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo 2 Virtual Console 2008, 8º Nes 1992 Adventures of Lolo 3, 9º Super Game Boy 1994 Lolo´s Great Adventure, 10º Windows 1996 Eggerland Episode 0: Quest of Lala, 11º Windows 1996 Eggerland for Windows 95, 12º Windows 2001 Revival! Eggerland, cameo: Kirby Series, Kirby Cartoon Series).
-) Dr. Wright - SimCity (2 games; 1º Snes 1992 SimCity Virtual Console 2006, 2º 64DD 2000 SimCity 64, cameos: Smash Series, Zelda Series).
-) Mike Jones - StarTropics (2 games; 1º Nes 1992, Virtual Console 2008, 2º Nes 1994, Virtual Console 2009, cameo: Pilotwings 64).

Tier Two:
-) Kururin - Kuru Kuru Kururin (3 games, 1º Game Boy Advance 2001 Kuru Kuru Kururin, 2º Game Boy Advance 2002 Kururin Paradise, 3º Gamecube 2004 Kururin Squash!, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Muddy Mole - Mole Mania (Game Boy 2000, 3DS Virtual Console 2012).
-) Little boy - Bunko: Hajimari no Mori (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2007).
-) Kevin Keene "Captain N" - Captain N: The Game Master (Animated Series last aired 1994, DVD 2007).
-) Hakkun - Sutte Hakkun (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2010).
-) Protagonist - Tantei Club (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Alice - Balloon Kid (2 games; 1º Game Boy 1991 Balloon Kid Virtual Console 2012, 2º Game Boy Color 2000 Balloon Fight GB Virtual Console 2011).
-) Protagonist - Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito (Game Boy Color 2001, Virtual Console 2012).

Tier Three:
-) Dog - Duck Hunt (Nes 1987, dual and triple pack (Mario Bros and then Mario Bros, World Class Track), cameo: Smash Melee, remake - homage in Wii play).
-) Sheriff - Sheriff (Arcade 1980, cameo: Game Boy Camera, Smash Melee, WarioWare minigame).
-) Sukapon - Joy Mecha Fight (Nes 1993, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Goku and Chao - Yūyūki (Famicom Disk System 1989, cameo: Kirby´s Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX).
-) F-Type - Stunt Race FX (Snes 1994, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Sky Skipper - Sky Skipper (Atari 2600 1983, cameo: Game Boy Camera).
-) Fighter Hayabusa - Pro Wrestling (Nes 1987, cameo: Pokemon Series, Kingdom of Loathing, Mario & Luigi: Bowser´s Inside Story, Red Faction).
-) Nester - Nintendo Power (Nintendo Power, Virtual Boy 1996 Nester's Funky Bowling, cameo: Nes Play Action Football, StarTropics, To the Earth, Pilotwings 64, Dragon Warrior).
-) Doshin - Doshin the Giant (GameCube 2002, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Hiro - Card Hero (Game Boy Color 2000 Trade & Battle: Card Hero, cameo: Smash Melee).

Tier Four:
-) Dino, Max and Jack - Marvelous (3 games; 1º Super Famicom 1996 Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima, 2º Satellaview Marvelous: Time Athletic, 3º Satellaview Marvelous: Camp Arnold).
-) Mike Anderson - Battle Clash (2 games; 1º Snes 1993 Battle Clash, 2º Snes 1993 Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge).
-) Goose - Pilotwings (Nintendo 64 1997 Pilotwings 64, homage 3DS in Pilotwings Resort).

Tier Five:
-) Mr. Stevenson - Gumshoe (Nes 1988).
-) Harry - Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy 1995).
-) Tin Star - Tin Star (Snes 1994).
-) Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de... (Famicom Disk System 1991).
-) DeMille - Tomato Adventure (Gameboy Advance 2002).
-) Pockle - GiFTPiA (GameCube 2003).
-) John Solver - Bombsweeper (Game & Watch 1987).
-) Boy/Girl - Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival (Game Boy Advance 2002).
-) Itoi Shigesato - Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1 (Nintendo 64 2000).

These last four characters I need to confirm if they are owned by Nintendo (I´m 60% sure that they are).
Muguru-kun - Power Lode Runner (1999 - SNES)
Oni - Power Soukoban (Super Famicom 1999)
Colonel Scott O'Connor - Kabuki Quantum Fighter (Nes 1992)
Kabin - Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics

And sorry I only post characters but not video games (you should consider that for example: Dr. Wright from Sim City (the character is from Nintendo and is owned by them but the game is owned by Maxis now part of EA).

Good luck;
.n_n.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
He said something similar about Ridley, but it doesn't seem to stop anyone from supporting him.

I notice that the clawshot is back....................................in its twilight princess design.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Let's say ten characters had to be cut: Who'd you pick?
Technically there isn't any characters that need to be gone, but if there was a want (loosely speaking) to remove 10 characters...

Jigglypuff
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas
Ice Climbers (**** off chain grabs)
Zero Suit Samus
Ganondorf
Pokemon Trainer (all Pokemon)

Give or take, won't really care too deeply either way.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Technically there isn't any characters that need to be gone, but if there was a want (loosely speaking) to remove 10 characters...

Jigglypuff
Toon Link
Wolf
Lucas
Ice Climbers (**** off chain grabs)
Zero Suit Samus
Ganondorf
Pokemon Trainer (all Pokemon)

>Zero Suit Samus

that's easy mode

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
lol tier five

And KID ICARUS UPRISING WOO
Kid Icarus seems to be getting a lot of love this round... He's one of the first guys revealed which somehow puts him above freaking yoshi even though he only has like what? 3 games? XD I know why but still XD

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman

Jigglypuff -You can't take my squishy pink puff ball away from me!
Toon Link - They could always give him weapons that are exclusive to the toon games. (ex. Whirlwind)
Wolf - Wolf is less of a clone than Falco.
Lucas - Be gone scoundrel.
Ice Climbers (**** off chain grabs) - :troll: Wobbles :troll:
Zero Suit Samus - Bu, bu, bu, boobs.
Manondorf - Declone the man, please Sakurai.
Pokemon Trainer (all Pokemon) - Charizard want to have a word with you.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
People want a source because they want to read it themselves. Just telling them what you read isn't gonna cut it for most people.

Go home KingShadow, you are drunk.
I really don't want anyone besides Lucas to leave, honestly, but 3rd Koopa said to take out TEN characters, so I had a VERY hard time choosing who else should go.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, TOP 10 CLASSIC CHARACTERS I want to see:

8-Bit:
Mike J. (StarTropics)
Dog (Duck Hunt)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasame Jo)
Alice / Balloon Fighter (Balloon Kid / Balloon Fight)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
Fighter Hayabusa (Pro Wrestling)
Zoda (StarTropics)

16-Bit:
Lip (Panel de Pon)

64-Bit:
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Goose / Lark / Hooter (Pilotwings 64)

Top 10 CHARACTERS I'D CUT
(This is a toughie, because I don't really hate a lot of characters... but here we go)

1.-Villager
2.-Toon Link
3.-Dr.Mario (or change to alt.costume)
4.-Snake
5.-Lucario
7.-Lucas
8.-Ike
9.- Young Link
10.- (This will hurt no matter what I choose): Ganondorf. Hope he comes back decloned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom