• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I consider using the clone argument against a character to not be counter-productive and hurt ones argument. When you consider it, many characters have the possibility to be a clone.

Palutena - Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Bowser
Takamaru - Marth
Chrom - Marth
Shulk - Ike
Ridley - Charizard
Zoroark - Wolf
Krystal - Fox
Rosalina - Peach
Daisy - Peach
Mach Rider - Falcon
Sheriff - Mr. Game and Watch
King K. Rool - King Dedede
Dixie Kong - Diddy Kong
Dark Pit - Pit
Dark Samus - Samus
Masked Man - Meta Knight
Mega Man - Samus....oh wait....

However, much like Mega Man, they also have the ability to be original. Some argued that Mega Man would be a clone of Samus but, lo and behold, he is not and quite original. Some characters obviously have characteristics that set them apart such as Palutena and Krystal's staffs, Bowser Jr.'s brush, etc. However, the possibility of them just being a clone exists just as much as them not being cloned. So to argue that "(insert character) is unlikely because they will be a clone" or "I don't want (insert character) because they will just be a clone." is an invalid argument IMO.

I also don't understand the hatred of clones. Yeah, I don't really like them and would appreciate that certain characters were original....such as Toon Link. He was one of my more requested character pre-Brawl and I was overjoyed to see him included. But that joy was dampened by his semi-cloned move set (I wanted the Skull Hammer, dammit!). But, nevertheless, I was happy to see him included. Which brings me to ask the question: even if a character turns out to be a clone, do you will throw your support in for them? That character obviously deserves to be in Smash since they made it in. However, by being a clone, does that automatically make them undeserving to be in Smash?

And in defense of Dixie, she has a wide amount of abilities that sets her apart from Diddy (no tail for starters). But she does have the potential to be a clone or be original. The possibility exists.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I consider using the clone argument against a character to not be counter-productive and hurt ones argument. When you consider it, many characters have the possibility to be a clone.

Palutena - Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Bowser
Takamaru - Marth
Chrom - Marth
Shulk - Ike
Ridley - Charizard
Zoroark - Wolf
Krystal - Fox
Rosalina - Peach
Daisy - Peach
Mach Rider - Falcon
Dixie Kong - Diddy Kong
Dark Pit - Pit
Dark Samus - Samus
Masked Man - Meta Knight

However, much like Mega Man, they also have the ability to be original. Some argued that Mega Man would be a clone of Samus but, lo and behold, he is not and quite original. Some characters obviously have characteristics that set them apart such as Palutena and Krystal's staffs, Bowser Jr.'s brush, etc. However, the possibility of them just being a clone exists just as much as them not being cloned. So to argue that "(insert character) is unlikely because they will be a clone" or "I don't want (insert character) because they will just be a clone." is an invalid argument IMO.

I also don't understand the hatred of clones. Yeah, I don't really like them and would appreciate that certain characters were original....such as Toon Link. He was one of my more requested character pre-Brawl and I was overjoyed to see him included. But that joy was dampened by his semi-cloned move set (I wanted the Skull Hammer, dammit!). But, nevertheless, I was happy to see him included. Which brings me to ask the question: even if a character turns out to be a clone, do you will throw your support in for them? That character obviously deserves to be in Smash since they made it in. However, by being a clone, does that automatically make them undeserving to be in Smash?

And in defense of Dixie, she has a wide amount of abilities that sets her apart from Diddy (no tail for starters). But she does have the potential to be a clone or be original. The possibility exists.
I agree... Also I will go out and say I fully expected the charge shot to be his neutral B, they even managed to surprise me on that front!

CalumG

Smash Lord
Palutena - Zelda
Takamaru - Marth
Shulk - Ike
Ridley - Charizard
Zoroark - Wolf
Mach Rider - Falcon
Masked Man - Meta Knight
I think these ones listed are all a bit of a stretch. Certainly, there's big possibility for some clones and semi-clones in Smash 4 (after all, there hasn't been a game without them yet), but if Sakurai and the team do actually pay any attention to the fanbase and have any kind of common sense, they'll have learned their lesson after Ganondorf. Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Luigi, Pichu, Roy - these all make sense as clones/semi-clones to some extent. Ganondorf, and the characters listed above, just do not. Sure, there's possibility for him to make clones like these, but I think for the most part, Ganondorf aside, he has better judgement than that - hence why he left Wario out of Melee rather than making him a heavy Mario clone (which he was contemplating at one point, allegedly).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

Palutena - Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Bowser
Takamaru - Marth
Chrom - Marth
Shulk - Ike
Ridley - Charizard
Zoroark - Wolf
Krystal - Fox
Rosalina - Peach
Daisy - Peach
Mach Rider - Falcon
Dixie Kong - Diddy Kong
Dark Pit - Pit
Dark Samus - Samus
Masked Man - Meta Knight

I love clones. They never took the spot of real characters. In Melee, it would have taken 6 clones to make one new character I think. So there is benefit to having them. And aside from Ganondorf, most of the clones make sense! All star fox characters barely fight outside their arwings and wolfen, so they have moves that replicate them. If we just had toon link and no regular link, that would be the moveset I would give him. Roy would have never appeared in the United States at all, and we might not even have Fire Emblem as a series as we do now.
Most clones make perfect sense with their movesets. They can be differentiated more, but them being similar to other great characters isn't the worst thing in the world.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think these ones listed are all a bit of a stretch. Certainly, there's big possibility for some clones and semi-clones in Smash 4 (after all, there hasn't been a game without them yet), but if Sakurai and the team do actually pay any attention to the fanbase and have any kind of common sense, they'll have learned their lesson after Ganondorf. Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, Luigi, Pichu, Roy - these all make sense as clones/semi-clones to some extent. Ganondorf, and the characters listed above, just do not. Sure, there's possibility for him to make clones like these, but I think for the most part, Ganondorf aside, he has better judgement than that - hence why he left Wario out of Melee rather than making him a heavy Mario clone (which he was contemplating at one point, allegedly).
K. Rool and Bowser Jr. being clones is a bit of a strech to me.

K. Rool would certainly not be similar to any character. And Bowser Jr. may share some shell attacks, and possibly the fire breath, but the rest...not so much. Bowser relies on physical strength, which Jr has almost never relied on.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Palutena - Zelda
Bowser Jr. - Bowser
Takamaru - Marth
Chrom - Marth
Shulk - Ike
Ridley - Charizard
Zoroark - Wolf
Krystal - Fox
Rosalina - Peach
Daisy - Peach
Mach Rider - Falcon
Dixie Kong - Diddy Kong
Dark Pit - Pit
Dark Samus - Samus
Masked Man - Meta Knight
So K. Rool could be made a clone because he has the name KING? Does he have a Hammer, suction, or Waddle Dees? And how is Sheriff a clone of Mr. Game & Watch, he uses none of those items

ALSO: Why do people think Sheriff is going to be his in game sprite? Ice Climbers weren't their in game sprite and the only difference is that they have color. ]

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It's interesting that we're discussing Donkey Kong of all things. That barely ever gets discussed.

I think K. Rool has more of a chance but that Sakurai will end up picking Dixie anyways, unless he's REALLY going for originality. K. Rool is one of those characters that screams originality like Wii Fit Trainer

OH WOW I FORGOT TO POST THIS WHEN I WAS GONE OOPS

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So K. Rool could be made a clone because he has the name KING? Does he have a Hammer, suction, or Waddle Dees?
In theory, a Special set that is based off of Dedede's could be made.

Swallow = The suction function on the Blunderbuss.
Hi - Jump = K. Rool's high jump from DKC1.
Waddle Dee Throw = Klaptrap Throw (with Krown Throw being equivalent to the Gordo)
Jet Hammer = Hitting with the Scepter from Mario Super Sluggers.
Waddle Dee Army = Kremling Army

Unlikely to happen, but possible nonetheless. Just playing Devil's Advocate.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Alright, so doing some analysis on King K.Rool and Donkey Kong...I've put this together for an example:

Donkey Kong here in Punch-Out Wii shows that Little Mac, being 5'7", comes up to a little below DK's chest, and Little Mac's arms, estimated to be somewhere around 2 1/2 feet long, do not reach anywhere past DK's mouth, meaning that DK's actual height is somewhere around 8'2" tall, while weighing around 800 pounds as displayed by the final battle of Donkey Kong 64.

Now for K.Rool's comparison...

Donkey Kong, in this picture, would come up a little past K.Rool's foot standing straight up, meaning it would take about 3 1/2 DKs to match the height of a straight standing K.Rool. So if you take DK's 8'2" and multiply it by three you get 24'6" and then by half, which is 4'1", you get K.Rool's actual height, which is 28'7" tall.

This makes K.Rool bigger than any appearance Ridley has ever appeared in, excluding the X-Parasite clone of him which was a larger manifestation of the host, meaning that Ridley was bigger than he should have been. In short, Ridley is actually smaller than K.Rool. Does this mean we have to say K.Rool is too big now? :p

(I know size is irrelevant, so please ignore this) :3

CalumG

Smash Lord
In theory, a Special set that is based off of Dedede's could be made.

Swallow = The suction function on the Blunderbuss.
Hi - Jump = K. Rool's high jump from DKC1.
Waddle Dee Throw = Klaptrap Throw (with Krown Throw being equivalent to the Gordo)
Jet Hammer = Hitting with the Scepter from Mario Super Sluggers.
Waddle Dee Army = Kremling Army

Unlikely to happen, but possible nonetheless. Just playing Devil's Advocate.
I wouldn't even call it "possible". The amount of work that would have to go into repurposing animations like the Blunderbuss, modelling Kremlings (which have more complex animations than Waddle Dee's, obviously), and so on would basically be the amount of work that would go into actually making a new character. It'd probably take longer to make a clone like King K. Rooldede than an original character because they'd actually have to put some legitimate work and thought into reworking the moves so they fit in any way, shape or form.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It is a stretch. Certain characters do have a higher level of becoming unique rather than a clone but the possibility does exist. Only certain characters, such as Dixie, Chrom, Paper Mario, Dark Pit get the "they will just be clones" argument when they have the possibility of also becoming original.

Basically, what I am trying to bring up that using the clone argument is an invalid because it can go either way: the character can be a clone just as much as a non-clone.

I feel that if a character is in Smash, that character earned his/her/it right to be within the game. Sure, they may be a clone but people can still enjoy that character being playable. I would prefer a cloned character that I like over the character not being playable at all.

As for King K. rool being a possible clone of Dedede

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVQ66kKoI74

I HIGHLY doubt it will happen though. And I pray it doesn't.

I just don't understand why some character are disregarded as being "deserving" or "likely" solely based on the invalid clone argument.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn't even call it "possible". The amount of work that would have to go into repurposing animations like the Blunderbuss, modelling Kremlings (which have more complex animations than Waddle Dee's, obviously), and so on would basically be the amount of work that would go into actually making a new character. It'd probably take longer to make a clone like King K. Rooldede than an original character because they'd actually have to put some legitimate work and thought into reworking the moves so they fit in any way, shape or form.
The post was made in response to Noah/Saturn calling out that Venus was implying that they'd be clones for the reason of "they're both kings," which is asinine. I was merely showing him that a K. Rool/Dedede set could be made, regardless of whether or not they share different equipment. Obviously K. Rool would more than likely get in as his own unique character. It's just that the "they can't possibly be a clone" argument is almost as bad as the "they'd definitely be a clone" argument...

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Alright, so doing some analysis on King K.Rool and Donkey Kong...I've put this together for an example:

Donkey Kong here in Punch-Out Wii shows that Little Mac, being 5'7", comes up to a little below DK's chest, and Little Mac's arms, estimated to be somewhere around 2 1/2 feet long, do not reach anywhere past DK's mouth, meaning that DK's actual height is somewhere around 8'2" tall, while weighing around 800 pounds as displayed by the final battle of Donkey Kong 64.

Donkey Kong, in this picture, would come up a little past K.Rool's foot standing straight up, meaning it would take about 3 1/2 DKs to match the height of a straight standing K.Rool. So if you take DK's 8'2" and multiply it by three you get 24'6" and then by half, which is 4'1", you get K.Rool's actual height, which is 28'7" tall.

This makes K.Rool bigger than any appearance Ridley has ever appeared in, excluding the X-Parasite clone of him which was a larger manifestation of the host, meaning that Ridley was bigger than he should have been. In short, Ridley is actually smaller than K.Rool. Does this mean we have to say K.Rool is too big now? :p

Can you put Bowser and Ridley in ther as well?

CalumG

Smash Lord
It is a stretch. Certain characters do have a higher level of becoming unique rather than a clone but the possibility does exist. Only certain characters, such as Dixie, Chrom, Paper Mario, Dark Pit get the "they will just be clones" argument when they have the possibility of also becoming original.

Basically, what I am trying to bring up that using the clone argument is an invalid because it can go either way: the character can be a clone just as much as a non-clone.

I feel that if a character is in Smash, that character earned his/her/it right to be within the game. Sure, they may be a clone but people can still enjoy that character being playable. I would prefer a cloned character that I like over the character not being playable at all.
Huh... I guess we're pretty much complete opposites on that front then. :p

I think it's good with characters like Luigi, but Ganondorf honestly irks me to this day. I'd have preferred that they waited until Brawl to do him justice (as with Wario) than what they've ended up doing with him - making him a clone in Melee and keeping him a clone in Brawl presumably out of fear that they'll alienate people who already got used to Clonedorf. If they have the potential to be a unique character, I don't mind waiting if the other option is them potentially getting pigeonholed into a semi-clone position for subsequent releases.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even if a character turns out to be a clone, do you will throw your support in for them? That character obviously deserves to be in Smash since they made it in. However, by being a clone, does that automatically make them undeserving to be in Smash?
I guess Clones are okay so long as they make sense and held at the back of the priority queue. Though a little effort should still be made to differentiate them a little if there is the time to do so. Oh and so long as they make sense, so no Ganondorf and Captain Falcon type of deal.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Can you put Bowser and Ridley in ther as well?
Bowser's size is so inconsistent it's hard to do any size comparisons as it's almost never the same and it's hard to pinpoint which one of Bowser's appearances is actually his real size. It's pretty much along the same lines with Ridley, but Ridley is more easy to pinpoint as he's usually large. For example...let's compare the Super Metroid Samus and Super Metroid Ridley...

First, while many are not sure of Samus' size, many speculate her being quite tall, so I'll say her size in this picture is around 6'2" or so. Now for Ridley, due to his freakishly large head, he's a little over twice the size of Samus in this picture, estimating somewhere around 12'8" tall at this height. However, Ridley is actually crouching/kneeling in this picture. So let's take a look at his legs, roughly if you stretched them out, they'd be around the same size as Samus, meaning Samus comes up to Ridley's crotch if Ridley's legs were capable of stretching to stand fully upright. So with that, you'd add around another 3'1" to his already crouching size as his legs look around the same length at both main joints and the halfway point is at Samus' waist. Meaning Ridley, in Super Metroid, is exactly 15'3" tall, a little over half the size of K.Rool in Donkey Kong 64.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't exactly understand how people will like a character even when they are a carbon copy of another character, it doesn't exactly do justice regardless on how you think about it. I mean there is a reason why people are not exactly fond of Ganondorf being Captain Ganon in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

You know, the funny thing about this is that when you compare K. Rool's appearance in Donkey Kong Country to his appearance in Donkey Kong Country 2, he's shorter in the latter title.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Huh... I guess we're pretty much complete opposites on that front then. :p

I think it's good with characters like Luigi, but Ganondorf honestly irks me to this day. I'd have preferred that they waited until Brawl to do him justice (as with Wario) than what they've ended up doing with him - making him a clone in Melee and keeping him a clone in Brawl presumably out of fear that they'll alienate people who already got used to Clonedorf. If they have the potential to be a unique character, I don't mind waiting if the other option is them potentially getting pigeonholed into a semi-clone position for subsequent releases.
I would love to see a de-cloned Ganondorf. Brawl was a step in the right direction at least. But regardless, despite being a semi-clone, I still enjoy the character and feel he deserves to be in Smash. What I don't understand is when people try to cut a character because they are a clone/semi-clone and use examples such as Pichu, the Doc, and Roy to justify their reasoning.

Using the clone argument to prove a character's likeliness/unlikeliness doesn't really prove anything since the argument can go both ways.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't exactly understand how people will like a character even when they are a carbon copy of another character, it doesn't exactly do justice regardless on how you think about it. I mean there is a reason why people are not exactly fond of Ganondorf being Captain Ganon in the Super Smash Bros. series.
Yeah that is very silly. I'm not saying they should be a carbon copy though with the exact same playstyle and properties and everything. I can understand why Toon Link and Link have a similar moveset though effort should be made to give them a different playstyle. They should still try to differentiate them a little though. Like giving Toon Link the Bomb-Chu's (along with the Bombs Maybe), Elemental Arrows with maybe the aiming like you can with the Cracker Launcher, the Hurricane Spin and the Deku Leaf. That sort of stuff. Of course I wouldn't want him to be exactly the same Habanero. No one would.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

God, then how big is he compared to a Pikmin?

CalumG

Smash Lord
I would love to see a de-cloned Ganondorf. Brawl was a step in the right direction at least.

But regardless, despite being a semi-clone, I still enjoy the character and feel he deserves to be in Smash.

Using the clone argument to prove a character's likeliness/unlikeliness doesn't really prove anything since the argument can go both ways.
Oh yeah, I can't argue with the fact that the clone argument is a sham... although I can see where some people are coming from. Dixie for example wouldn't necessarily be a clone, but I do think people over-estimate her chances based on her appearance in the Forbidden 7. To me, that suggests that Sakurai was only going to add her not because she added something to the game but because she'd be an easy add, like Dr. Mario or Roy. But again, that could go both ways - if she was an easy addition in Brawl, who's to say she wouldn't be this time around? :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
God, then how big is he compared to a Pikmin?
Measure an inch on K.Rool and that's how big they are. I bet they could fit underneath his toenails they're that small compared to him.

You know, the funny thing about this is that when you compare K. Rool's appearance in Donkey Kong Country to his appearance in Donkey Kong Country 2, he's shorter in the latter title.

Exactly why I didn't choose to use the DKC games as an example, as the art style changes between them and sprites are re-arranged in size and detail. Not to mention the funny thing is that on K.Rool's Brawl trophy, it says Kaptain K.Rool is his brother. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I'm not sure if K.Rool's size was consistent in the 3D games either, then again he probably was. How tall was he in Mario Super Sluggers and Donkey Kong Jet Race? :/

Espio264

Smash Ace
So this is what I've been thinking...

SmashU2.jpg

... however, this roster seems a tad too big, a little too safe, a lot like what most other people are thinking. What do you cats say?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Exactly why I didn't choose to use the DKC games as an example, as the art style changes between them and sprites are re-arranged in size and detail. Not to mention the funny thing is that on K.Rool's Brawl trophy, it says Kaptain K.Rool is his brother. :p
The brother thing was a mistake that Nintendo made. Cranky Kong even stated that K. Rool gave up his "silly" disguises once Donkey Kong 64 entered the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom