• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Who wants to talk about Dixie VS K. Rool?
Disclaimer: I think they are both just as likely.

I'd rather have King K. Rool. We've all ready got two Kongs and while Dixie could have a great moveset, K. Rool has a huge number of weapons at his disposal. Dixie however has recency on her side,about to appear tropical freeze. Despite this I'm not sure if the game is coming out early enough to influence the roster. The roster was likely decided around a year ago and while Sakurai has background info from Nintendo I'm not sure if Dixie was also decided a year ago. Plus we need more villains, particularly giant pirate crocodiles.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Whoa whoa whoa, Time out.

When does Fighter Hayabusa cameo in the Pokemon series?
Just curious.

Does Startropics' own Mike's "stage" count if it cameos in Pilotwings 64?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
By the way my personal favorites will be these characters to compete for a spot:

Retro:
Mach Rider
Takamaru
Prince of Sablé
Donbe and Hikari (tag team like Ice Climbers).
Hakkun
Mike Jones

WTF Retro:
Sheriff
Dino, Max and Jack (The mechanic like Pokemon Trainer)
Harry
DeMille
Tin Star

.n_n.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Who wants to talk about Dixie VS K. Rool?
Disclaimer: I think they are both just as likely.
I like K. Rool more, but I've always thought that Dixie was slightly more likely even before the Tropical Freeze announcement.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think Dixie has a better chance of getting in myself. She has recency, being planned for a past game, and can offer just as much uniquness as K. Rool can. And monkies > Aligators.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Whoa whoa whoa, Time out.

When does Fighter Hayabusa cameo in the Pokemon series?
Just curious.

Does Startropics' own Mike's "stage" count if it cameos in Pilotwings 64?
Fighter Hayabusa, I read it somewhere let me check XD.
And yes if a stage in Pilotwings 64 is a StarTropics level yes I count that as cameo.

Thanks.
.n_n.

Ok Edited;

I found the phrase "A WINNER IS YOU!" is from Pro Wrestling Game and that phrase has been in Mario & Luigi: Bowser´s Inside Story and Pokemon Gold and Silver, that´s why I´m counting that as Cameo.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Fighter Hayabusa, I read it somewhere let me check XD.
And yes if a stage in Pilotwings 64 is a StarTropics level yes I count that as cameo.

Thanks.
.n_n.

Ah no worries! :D If you find that source, then awesome! If not, don't sweat it!

I was aware of Hitmonchan having the same height and weight as Little Mac (before he was cool again, lol), but I never heard anything about F.Hayabusa in there. :O

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ah no worries! :D If you find that source, then awesome! If not, don't sweat it!

I was aware of Hitmonchan having the same height and weight as Little Mac (before he was cool again, lol), but I never heard anything about F.Hayabusa in there. :O
Ok found it, is not a direct cameo to the character but is for the game and didn´t know that Pilotwings 64 has a StarTropics Stage XD.
I edited my preview post, but I will post it again is the phrase "A WINNER IS YOU".
.n_n.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Any particular reason?

I'm curious.
Being planned. K. Rool's popular, but I still don't think that overtakes having almost making it in especially since this is Sakurai we're talking about.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But let's get real here, do you know what would make this cast even MORE unique? Even MORE monkeys! I don't care if we never had an overweight alligators diddy kong semi clones are where it's AT!
There is no reason Dixie has to be a semi-clone. You argue that Dixie can be a semi-clone of Diddy? Well then I argue that K. Rool can be a semi-clone of Bowser if Sakurai wanted to. Same reasoning for Dixie being a semi clone can also be put on K. Rool and thus is invalid.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only new Kong I would want is Lanky Kong. Why is he so unlikely Dangit..... D:

I'd still rather have K.Rool over any other new Kong though.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I dont think K Rool can be a semi-clone because he lacks certain things like Bowser's shell.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
This Crocs vs Monkeys argument is well and good but it's actually armed crocs vs pony-tailed monkeys. Last time I checked not only does croc beat monkey but gun beats pony-tail. Despite that the ending of Donkey Kong Country 2 begs to differ and to that I have nothing.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I dont think K Rool can be a semi-clone because he lacks certain things like Bowser's shell.
You don't get how semi-clones work then. Semi-clone doesn't nescarily have to have all the same moves as the character it is based off of, it just needs to share a good portion of them/the moves are very simmilar. And which if Sakurai really wanted to he could give K. Rool a good portion of Bowser's moves. Just like he can give a good portion of Diddy's moves to Dixie. Plain and simple.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
There is no reason Dixie has to be a semi-clone. You argue that Dixie can be a semi-clone of Diddy? Well then I argue that K. Rool can be a semi-clone of Bowser if Sakurai wanted to. Same reasoning for Dixie being a semi clone can also be put on K. Rool and thus is invalid.
All I'm saying is that I think K. Rool would bring more interesting variety to the franchise. I would personally like to be convinced that Dixie could bring something very unique and very interesting to the table but I don't really see that. And as jaytalks pointed out a giant turtle and a giant alligator are hardly in the same league as two monkeys that are pretty much the same ****ing size

mimgrim

Smash Hero
All I'm saying is that I think K. Rool would bring more interesting variety to the franchise. I would personally like to be convinced that Dixie could bring something very unique and very interesting to the table but I don't really see that. And as jaytalks pointed out a giant turtle and a giant alligator are hardly in the same league as two monkeys that are pretty much the same ****ing ****ing size
Dixie Kong can fight with her hair and have it be her main focus. Do we have a character that can do that yet? Both can be made unique and both can be made semi-clones and thus both bring the same amount of uniqueness.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
IMO King K. Rool is obviously the better choice. However I think Dixie is the one Sakurai would choose for a number of reasons:

1. Popularity in Japan
  2. These Kongs appear to be the main trio appearing together in several Mario Sports titles, several DK spin offs, and advertising as well.
  3. Much more recurring and more of a main character
  4. Sakurai likes Semi-Clones :troll:
  5. She was planned for Brawl. Most likely because (start from reason 1)
As for Tropical Freeze, while this is a fine example of reasons 1-5 I hate when people use it as an excuse to not have King K. Rool assuming the roster was finalized. :ace:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I find prioritization of Awakening questionable, and why cannot Anna represent Awakening? She's practically pouring out of every inch of it, every inch of it that's not that is story ;) , and we should know by now the 'story' of a game isn't quite as important a factor as many others (see, R.O.B., G&W, any Pokemon, etc.). Plus, being the mascot of Fire Emblem should be a good reason to get in.
Marth is the mascot of Fire Emblem. Anna would take priority over anything if she were. I don't think being in nearly all the games is enough. She's restricted to being a shopkeeping in all but one of them. Her recent role as a trickster makes her a possibility, but that was in Awakening, where better choices are found (Chrom and Robin being my choices).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
All I'm saying is that I think K. Rool would bring more interesting variety to the franchise. I would personally like to be convinced that Dixie could bring something very unique and very interesting to the table but I don't really see that. And as jaytalks pointed out a giant turtle and a giant alligator are hardly in the same league as two monkeys that are pretty much the same ****ing size
Sakurai is known for having similar characters every now and then
:luigi64: :jigglypuff64: :drmario: :ganondorfmelee: :falcomelee: :pichumelee: :roymelee: :younglinkmelee: :toonlink: :lucas: :wolf:

Dixie Kong doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't question anyone with K. Rool on their roster, but I hope it's because they think Sakurai will add him and not because Sakurai should add him.

Also Here is a list of what could make Dixie unique from Diddy:

Neutral Special: Bubble Shoot or Feather Bow
Forward Special: Monkey Kick
Downward Special: Banana peel
Upward Special: Helicopter Hair

FINAL SMASH: Guitar Solo

The rest can be hair related moves, and she can grab opponents with her hair as well as pick up and throw Items.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Just to point out, she isn't a shop keeper in all of them. In PoR and RD she was the tutor for the tutorials. In Shadow Dragon she was Jake's Lover and was visted at in a house. And I think there is more but can't recal all them. Also she never made a appeareance in FE2, only FE game she didn't appear in.

Sorry, just me nitpicking your post a little bit. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mainly fire breath and the shell (unless BS logic is used like "turtle shell = crocodile hide"). I suppose when it comes to standard attacks both K. Rool and Bowser would follow a similar brute vibe by virtue of their archetype, but it's perfectly sensible they would at least have different attacks, at worse sharing one or two attacks kind of like Mewtwo and Lucario.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Just to point out, she isn't a shop keeper in all of them. In PoR and RD she was the tutor for the tutorials. In Shadow Dragon she was Jake's Lover and was visted at in a house. And I think there is more but can't recal all them. Also she never made a appeareance in FE2, only FE game she didn't appear in.

Sorry, just me nitpicking your post a little bit. :p
I'll admit she's recurring, but lots of characters are. Best make her an assist trophy to please fans and then add Chrom as the playable character.

. And as jaytalks pointed out a giant turtle and a giant alligator are hardly in the same league as two monkeys that are pretty much the same ****ing size
List of similar characters that are indeed "The same ****ing size"

:falco: :jigglypuff: :lucas: :roymelee:

I don't think size is an influence :troll:

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982

And it took them 13 games to make her playable :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Mainly fire breath and the shell (unless BS logic is used like "turtle shell = crocodile hide"). I suppose when it comes to standard attacks both K. Rool and Bowser would follow a similar brute vibe by virtue of their archetype, but it's perfectly sensible they would at least have different attacks, at worse sharing one or two attacks kind of like Mewtwo and Lucario.
Am I the only one who counts the upward smash? It's basically the same, but just better.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You guys under estimate Sakurai if you don't think he could make K. Rool into a semi clone of Brawl. They could both easy share Fowards Special and Down Special, first uses claws which both characters have and 2nd uses the butt which agian both characters have. And they could shar the same Claw attacks and Leg if attacks if Sakurai wanted them to. I'm not saying he would, I'm just saying the same argument of Dixie being a semi-clone could also apply to K. Rool and that the uniquness of K. Rool can apply to Dixie. It jsut depends on what Sakurai wants to do, however remember it is Sakurai and if anyone could make K. Rool a semi-clon of Bowser he could just as much as he could make K. Rool his own moves and the same logic applies to Dixie.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
... the way I see it, all pokemon except Trainer were chosen for their anime role mostly.

Pikachu, one of Red's main pokemon in the manga. Ash's main pokemon in the show. Simply put, the face of the franchise.
Jigglypuff was a nobody in the games. It was the Manga and the Anime that put the spotlight on her.
Lucario: The animated movie? (Though yeah, we could say he was the face of Generation IV... But what good does that do, the guy had a MOVIE) XD
Mewtwo: He had two animated movies, and probably got famous for being, at the time, the most powerful Pokemon too.

Whatever their importance is, I see it has always been opaqued by the anime/movies. :p

And well... Meowth is as much of a villain as Dedede... He IS still considered a villain, is he? Goofy Japanese every-day-villains tend to switch side when a greater threat appears, then they go back to "But never forget, I SHALL get joo!"
I'm not doubting anime importance, I am doubting him being the "recurring villain" of the franchise when it's just a segment in it. If he was the main go-to mon of all of the villains games, manga or otherwise following his anime appearance I'd have no question with your assessment but he's not. Hell, outside of Yellow Giovanni didn't even use a Persian, he's not really villainous outside of the anime. Even Mewtwo is portrayed more villainously then him and that was before the anime came into play.

Also, Pikachu and Mewtwo (and debatably Lucario, since Meowth does have seniority on him you can argue otherwise) still have more prominence outside of the anime I'd say due to having more to them after making it with or without the anime (Pikachu's the mascot, Mewtwo's the favored legendary of all time, etc.), Jigglypuff's on the same level though Smash was its breakthrough moment.

Yeah but TR's treatment is rather ridiculous now, at least for me. With King Dedede there's still a charm to him and he still has his selfish moments, TR is more a gag nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom