• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Xbox, go home.

Have you PLAYED Path of Radiance? The two together is like a really long novel making love to a masterpiece two hour film. Playing them back to back works even butter I mean better.
I own Path of Radiance. PoR had a very good story and the fact that it's sequal got a so-so story was dissapointing. RD just did so many BS moments it isn't even funny, not to mention with how freaking much it skips between the Dawn Brigade, Crimean Knights, and Greil Mercenaries and then later between the 3 groups after they all decide to work together and split up to kill a effing a god. Yea uh-huh we go from killing a lunatic blood thirsty king to killing a god of law and order who wants to turn all of humanity into stone because humanity cannot stop fighting. That makes perfect sense! RD's story wasn't bad but it was very lackluster compared to PoR and other FE stories but it wasn't great either. Granted Awkening has simmilar problems, but not nearly as many. But RD was still a great game, just PoR was lots better.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well I must be paying less attention as all I've seen is talk about Anna...the Nurse Joy of Fire Emblem. :p
Go back a page or two and you'll see a couple of rosters (including mine which sparked the Anna discussion).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I own Path of Radiance. PoR had a very good story and the fact that it's sequal got a so-so story was dissapointing. RD just did so many BS moments it isn't even funny, not to mention with how freaking much it skips between the Dawn Brigade, Crimean Knights, and Greil Mercenaries and then later between the 3 groups after they all decide to work together and split up to kill a effing a god. Yea uh-huh we go from killing a lunatic blood thirsty king to killing a god of law and order who wants to turn all of humanity into stone because humanity cannot stop fighting. That makes perfect sense! RD's story wasn't bad but it was very lackluster compared to PoR and other FE stories but it wasn't great either. Granted Awkening has simmilar problems, but not nearly as many. But RD was still a great game, just PoR was lots better.
wtf you talking about both were good

Granted if you argued PoR as only a bit better than Radiant Dawn I could buy that, but the change in plot was actually neat to not keep it stale. Going from a king to a god? **** yeah. Yeah, it's a bit random, but when you pull a card like that you run into risks. If they did the same thing they'd basically be remaking Path of Radiance but in different points of view in HD really. They instead batted us a totally different story that felt true to the original with very nice and exciting characters while old characters were expanded on.

Meanwhile Awakening just suffers a lot of small problems that turn into big problems. I mean time travelling is cool but...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, I'd say Awakening probably has the weakest plot of the games. There's an entire arc that feels pointless in the overarching plot, quite a few villains whose motives aren't fully explored (if not at all like for Validar and Grima) and are ill handled, a character that steals the spotlight from the others even more so then the usual and the time travel mechanic unfortunately doesn't play out well. RD had its issues but it had quite a few good moments in there before Part 4 hit (such as the Crimean rebellion which had Elincia grow up), Awakening felt like they were trying to cram way too much into it.

Having said that, the gameplay is excellent.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hooookay... This has gone from Roster Prediction Thread to Fire Emblem Plot Discussion...

Not to mention spoilers galore... Anybody want to suggest a new topic? (Because somebody better ):teeth:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Hi I made roster (again)

- Anna could be replaced with any Fire Emblem character (Chrom / Lucina / Roy / etc.)
- Mach Rider could be replaced with any Retro character (Takamaru / Muddy Mole / Sheriff / etc.)
- Characters separated from the larger list are transformation charactes
- Characters in the smaller slots are Alternate costumes (Still subject to change for some)

feel free to share your opinion of it
Very nice Roster. :) I personally think that Chrom has a higher chance than that of Anna and Takamaru should be in before Mach Rider, but that's merely preference and I have no problem with either Anna or Mach Rider. I give it a 9.5/10 :grin:

Also, since Noah said you were the one who created some of his icons, is it possible I could have the custom Palutena, Little Mac and Tetra icons for my roster Maker? :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
*Sees roster earlier in the thread with Pikachu, Meowth, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and PT*

Jesus Christ that is literally my ideal Pokemon roster. To be honest, given how Pokemon has been represented in Smash so far it wouldn't have surprised me if Sakurai wanted to have an all Genwun Pokemon roster like this and had to add another generations Pokemon at The Pokemon Company's request. Nothing against newer generations of course, but damn.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
*Sees roster earlier in the thread with Pikachu, Meowth, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and PT*

Jesus Christ that is literally my ideal Pokemon roster. To be honest, given how Pokemon has been represented in Smash so far it wouldn't have surprised me if Sakurai wanted to have an all Genwun Pokemon roster like this and had to add another generations Pokemon at The Pokemon Company's request. Nothing against newer generations of course, but damn.

I second this.

Pikachu: For Pokemon mascot
Trainer: For most popular starters + most powerful/popular trainer
Jigglypuff: For new Fairy Type + Veteran status
Mewtwo: For movie and Mega Evolution representation
Meowth: The ONLY recurring Pokemon villain... that is a pokemon.

(Would love to add Snorlax for PT's final smash only)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I second this.

Pikachu: For Pokemon mascot
Trainer: For most popular starters + most powerful/popular trainer
Jigglypuff: For new Fairy Type + Veteran status
Mewtwo: For movie and Mega Evolution representation
Meowth: The ONLY recurring Pokemon villain... that is a pokemon.

Meowth only really has that kind of importance in the anime and it barely can even be considered a villain nowadays due to TR's terrible Villain Decay. It's more well known then a number of Pokemon but it's not that important to be considered the recurring villain of the franchise.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I believe that we will only be getting a 42-43 character roster and with that kind of a roster size cuts are inevtiable. You also are exaggerating when you say I cut a lot. I only have 5 character cuts, well 7 if you count Ivy/Squirt, and 5 cuts is perfectly reasonable in a 43 character roster. I don't see a roster going over 45 character slots at max and while I could do that many characters, 43 is a nice even look for the roster maker and trying to get 45 to work visually appealing to the eyes is iffy. Snake is a 3rd party and is thus an easy cut and I believe Sonic has better chances of staying then him, espically considering the art style this SSB is taking. Falco and Wolf are interchangable, but I would prefer to keep Wolf over Falco so it jsut comes down to personal prefence. Toon Link falls under as a last minuete addition category and I'm not trying to predict those and cutting him opens up more room for someone else and Zelda really doesn't "need" anyone other then the triforce trio. I believe Lucario is going to be in the position Mewtwo was in in Braw and if the popularity wasn't enough to save Mewtwo it certainly isn't enough to save Lucario. Eevee was just something I was testing out, my next test is going to be Victini over Jiggs and my test after that is going to be Zoroak over both Mewtwo and Lucario with Jiggs coming back and then after that a test of Eeavee getting in over Jiggs again and Zoroak getting in both Mewtwo and Lucario and probably more after that as I am looking for that wow factor for the Pokemon roster like a certian someone in this thread already mentioned. I heavily disagree with you Totodile statement, he has had about as much impact as Piplup and it's personality in the anime has made it loved by many. There is no one there who can really take Ikes spot all that good and he has had 2 games and he gets refrenced quite heavily in Awakening meaning that to IS he seems to have some pretty big importance and the only feesible character to replace him is Chrom but I already have Tiki who can rep Awakening and other games. But really 5 cuts =/= a lot and I added enough character considering 43 character roster slot, which is about what I am expecting. Seriously though, people need to get over their fear of cuts as they are going to happen and 5 cuts is pretty freaking reasonable if you ask me.
You should give the development team a little more credit, honestly. I think that Sakurai with an entire team from a large company (bonus: no long story mode) could get through more than most imagine. It's not so much a fear of cuts I have, I just don't think cuts are as likely as many people think they are given what we know and, more importantly, what we don't know. When I make a prediction roster (which I really should get around to as I haven't in a really long while), I just don't cut anybody because I think I'll end up being closer to the real deal than if I did.

One more thing regarding cuts. People need to get over this thinking that being a 3rd party suddenly means Snake is likely to be cut. He wouldn't make the cut for the same reason as any other character wouldn't (unless that reason is Konami not wanting him to be in the game, but I don't see why they wouldn't). Being a 3rd party isn't a good enough reason. At least in my eyes it isn't.

IAnd, with the case of Sakurai feeling like 3rd party character shouldn't be in more than one game, I feel that him thinking the opposite is more likely. Actually, let me rephrase, he may or may not feel that way (I can't say it's more likely he leans towards one direction), but what I can say is that he isn't making these games to satisfy himself and what he feels about it. He is making a game for everyone else. Even when he's making decisions on characters nobody would have ever thought of, he's doing it because he knows that that character will be interesting, unique, and fun for the consumers. Even if he feels that Sonic and Snake should be a one time thing, removing Sonic and Snake for such an arbitrary reason would be going against his stance as a developer as that isn't what most people who will be buying Smash4 want (I don't need to cite that most people want Sonic back do I?) Which is why I think that they won't be removed for such a reason. Now, I said "for such a reason." Meaning they could be removed for another reason, and I think the only reason that would make sense is time constraints.
Sonic and Snake wouldn't be removed or replaced for such a reason that doesn't follow the general lines of "I tried to, but this and that." From what Sakurai has said, there are plans to include them, but they may not make the final cut because of whatever reason. What he has said regarding cuts contradicts the belief that Sonic and Snake, from stage one of roster development, were planned to be cut.
Now, about the "this and that," which I'm going to interpret as time constraints, it's hard to say which characters hold priority over which characters, so we don't know which, if any (maybe they'll actually make it through the veterans) characters will be cut, because we don't have an accurate list of priority. Here's what we can say though: characters that have been revealed are probably somewhere up there. And Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf, along with any of the "forbidden 7" that may return, could be at the bottom again because it implies that they were in Brawl.
What I'm trying to say is that they won't be replaced by other third parties, or cut because Sakurai doesn't want them. I think that for Sakurai that is not enough reason to warrant being completely cut and never even planned from the beginning, especially with characters as unique and irreplaceable as Sonic and Snake.

Though I have to agree about making the roster in the roster maker look nice. I'm stingy about that as well.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Meowth only really has that kind of importance in the anime and it barely can even be considered a villain nowadays due to TR's terrible Villain Decay. It's more well known then a number of Pokemon but it's not that important to be considered the recurring villain of the franchise.

... the way I see it, all pokemon except Trainer were chosen for their anime role mostly.

Pikachu, one of Red's main pokemon in the manga. Ash's main pokemon in the show. Simply put, the face of the franchise.
Jigglypuff was a nobody in the games. It was the Manga and the Anime that put the spotlight on her.
Lucario: The animated movie? (Though yeah, we could say he was the face of Generation IV... But what good does that do, the guy had a MOVIE) XD
Mewtwo: He had two animated movies, and probably got famous for being, at the time, the most powerful Pokemon too.

Whatever their importance is, I see it has always been opaqued by the anime/movies. :p

And well... Meowth is as much of a villain as Dedede... He IS still considered a villain, is he? Goofy Japanese every-day-villains tend to switch side when a greater threat appears, then they go back to "But never forget, I SHALL get joo!"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No one wants to discuss Nintendog and Duck Hunt Dog? :(
Neither of them has a good chance. I would imagine Sakurai doesn't even view Nintendog as a feasible character. DHD could work though. So, DHD would be my choice I guess. A little more interesting than a dog that's meant to just be a realistic dog.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Neither of them has a good chance. I would imagine Sakurai doesn't even view Nintendog as a feasible character. DHD could work though. So, DHD would be my choice I guess. A little more interesting than a dog that's meant to just be a realistic dog.
I agree, a much more entertaining dog like DHD would fit very well for Super Smash Bros.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Hi I made roster (again)

- Anna could be replaced with any Fire Emblem character (Chrom / Lucina / Roy / etc.)
- Mach Rider could be replaced with any Retro character (Takamaru / Muddy Mole / Sheriff / etc.)
- Characters separated from the larger list are transformation charactes
- Characters in the smaller slots are Alternate costumes (Still subject to change for some)

feel free to share your opinion of it
Favorite Roster just because of Male Wii Fit Trainer asides from Anna. Just throw in Chrom, Roy, or the Tactician it's perfect.

also why do I think we're not going to get the Wii Fit Trainer male and Villager female? That's just me. Kinda based on PT last time.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Favorite Roster just because of Male Wii Fit Trainer asides from Anna. Just throw in Chrom, Roy, or the Tactician it's perfect.
Thanks. Anna is just the one I'd prefer, Tactician is becoming a close second quickly though (Next to Lucina).
also why do I think we're not going to get the Wii Fit Trainer male and Villager female? That's just me. Kinda based on PT last time.
Well Sakurai is try to look for reasons to have people keep coming back and playing the game right? Why not start with some cool costumes that you can unlock based on how much you play the game?
alsonobodyhascommentedonrollwowthissurprisesmetothefullest

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Nintendog for smash 5's joke character.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Very nice Roster. :) I personally think that Chrom has a higher chance than that of Anna and Takamaru should be in before Mach Rider, but that's merely preference and I have no problem with either Anna or Mach Rider. I give it a 9.5/10 :grin:
I really appreciate the comments Hotfeet. I wanted to stray away from boring old Chrom and over-selected Takamaru for a change of pace. I don't doubt them for a second, but I figured I'd add in something a bit different for it to seem a bit more fresh.
Also, since Noah said you were the one who created some of his icons, is it possible I could have the custom Palutena, Little Mac and Tetra icons for my roster Maker? :p
That I did, but I never made one for Tetra. I'll send you them when I have access to my computer again later today.

edit: thank you so much for preventing me from double posting based afrodude

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Pretty much this.
Thanks. Anna is just the one I'd prefer, Tactician is becoming a close second quickly though (Next to Lucina).
Well Sakurai is try to look for reasons to have people keep coming back and playing the game right? Why not start with some cool costumes that you can unlock based on how much you play the game?
alsonobodyhascommentedonrollwowthissurprisesmetothefullest
...Hopefully. We can hope; that's all.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
... the way I see it, all pokemon except Trainer were chosen for their anime role mostly.

Pikachu, one of Red's main pokemon in the manga. Ash's main pokemon in the show. Simply put, the face of the franchise.
Jigglypuff was a nobody in the games. It was the Manga and the Anime that put the spotlight on her.
Lucario: The animated movie? (Though yeah, we could say he was the face of Generation IV... But what good does that do, the guy had a MOVIE) XD
Mewtwo: He had two animated movies, and probably got famous for being, at the time, the most powerful Pokemon too.

Whatever their importance is, I see it has always been opaqued by the anime/movies. :p

And well... Meowth is as much of a villain as Dedede... He IS still considered a villain, is he? Goofy Japanese every-day-villains tend to switch side when a greater threat appears, then they go back to "But never forget, I SHALL get joo!"
Meowth can get in if he doesnt replace anyone I suppose.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
i was thinking that shy guy can be other character from yoshi series XD ,up b: fly guy ,down b: fire shy guy, side b :spear shy guy ,etc... XD :colorful:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ok guys after three days of research I finally get a complete roster of Retro, Forgotten and Obscure characters from Nintendo, if by chance I miss someone please let me know so I can add it to the list. The characters are main protagonists, I´m not counting Space Firebird, Radar Scope and the like because there is no protagonist at least that I know, they need to have more than 10 years without a new game (not counting Virtual Console). Let´s roll the drums...

Tier One:
-) Mach Rider - Mach Rider (Nes 1985, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: sticker and trophy in Smash Series, WarioWare minigame).
-) Takamaru - Nazo no Murasame-jō (Famicom Disk System 1986, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Pikmin 2, Captain Rainbow, Smash Series, WarioWare minigame, Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land).
-) Bubbles - Clu Clu Land (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2009, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Series, DK: King of Swing, WarioWare minigame).
-) Tamagon - Devil World (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Smash Series, Tetris DS, Captain Rainbow, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Prince of Sablé - For the Frog the Bell Tolls (Game Boy 1992, 3DS Virtual Console 2012, cameo: Smash Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Link´s Awakening).
-) Stanley - Donkey Kong 3 (2 games; 1º Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2009, 2º Game & Watch "Green House", cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames).
-) Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fight (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2013, cameo and game in Animal Crossing, cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames, Tetris DS, Picross DS, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Donkey Kong Jr. - Donkey Kong Jr. (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Donkey Kong Jr., Virtual Console 2011, 2º Nes 1986 Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Donkey Kong '94, WarioWare mingame, Mario Kart, Mario´s Tennis, Super Mario All-Stars, Mario´s Time Machine, Game & Watch Gallery, Punch-Out!!, Smash Ping Pong, Smash Series, Tetris DS).
-) Character - Urban Champion (Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: WarioWare minigame, Tetris DS, Smash Brawl).
-) Ryota Hayami - Wave Race (2 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1997 Wave Race 64, Virtual Console 2007, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Akari Hayami - 1080º Snowboarding (3 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1998 1080º Snowboarding, Virtual Console 2008, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, 3º GameCube 2004 1080º Avalanche, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Lip - Panel de Pon (Super Famicom 1995, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Panel de Pon DS, Smash Series, Captain Rainbow).
-) Rider - Excitebike (Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2011, cameo: game in Excitebike 64, game in Animal Crossing, Smash Series, WarioWare minigame, Nintendo DSi).
-) Wanda - Mario and Wario (2 games; 1º Super Famicom 1993 Mario and Wario, 2º Nes 1995 Wario´s Woods, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Melee, Kirby Super Star).
-) Ayumi Tachibana - Tantei Club (3 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, 3º Satellaview 1997 Tantei Club: Yuki ni Kieta Kako, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Donbe and Hikari - Shin Onigashima (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1987 Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2007, 2º Super Famicom 1998 Heisei Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2010, cameo: Yūyūki, Kirby´s Dream Land 3, Smash Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers, Jam with the Band, Captain Rainbow).
-) Lolo - Eggerland (12 games; 1º MSX1985 Eggerland Mystery, 2º MSX2 1986 Labyrinth Myth, 3º Famicom Disk System 1987 Eggerland, 4º Famicom 1988 Eggerland - Revival of the Labyrinth, 5º Famicom Disk System 1988 Eggerland - Departure to Creation, 6º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo Virtual Console 2007, 7º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo 2 Virtual Console 2008, 8º Nes 1992 Adventures of Lolo 3, 9º Super Game Boy 1994 Lolo´s Great Adventure, 10º Windows 1996 Eggerland Episode 0: Quest of Lala, 11º Windows 1996 Eggerland for Windows 95, 12º Windows 2001 Revival! Eggerland, cameo: Kirby Series, Kirby Cartoon Series).
-) Dr. Wright - SimCity (2 games; 1º Snes 1992 SimCity Virtual Console 2006, 2º 64DD 2000 SimCity 64, cameos: Smash Series, Zelda Series).

Tier Two:
-) Kururin - Kuru Kuru Kururin (3 games, 1º Game Boy Advance 2001 Kuru Kuru Kururin, 2º Game Boy Advance 2002 Kururin Paradise, 3º Gamecube 2004 Kururin Squash!, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Mike Jones - StarTropics (2 games; 1º Nes 1992, Virtual Console 2008, 2º Nes 1994, Virtual Console 2009).
-) Muddy Mole - Mole Mania (Game Boy 2000, 3DS Virtual Console 2012).
-) Little boy - Bunko: Hajimari no Mori (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2007).
-) Kevin Keene "Captain N" - Captain N: The Game Master (Animated Series last aired 1994, DVD 2007).
-) Hakkun - Sutte Hakkun (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2010).
-) Protagonist - Tantei Club (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Alice - Balloon Kid (2 games; 1º Game Boy 1991 Balloon Kid Virtual Console 2012, 2º Game Boy Color 2000 Balloon Fight GB Virtual Console 2011).
-) -) Protagonist - Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito (Game Boy Color 2001, Virtual Console 2012).

Tier Three:
-) Dog - Duck Hunt (Nes 1987, dual and triple pack (Mario Bros and then Mario Bros, World Class Track), cameo: Smash Melee, remake - homage in Wii play).
-) Sheriff - Sheriff (Arcade 1980, cameo: Game Boy Camera, Smash Melee, WarioWare minigame).
-) Sukapon - Joy Mecha Fight (Nes 1993, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Goku and Chao - Yūyūki (Famicom Disk System 1989, cameo: Kirby´s Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX).
-) F-Type - Stunt Race FX (Snes 1994, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Sky Skipper - Sky Skipper (Atari 2600 1983, cameo: Game Boy Camera).
-) Fighter Hayabusa - Pro Wrestling (Nes 1987, cameo: Pokemon Series, Kingdom of Loathing, Mario & Luigi: Bowser´s Inside Story, Red Faction).
-) Nester - Nintendo Power (Nintendo Power, Virtual Boy 1996 Nester's Funky Bowling, cameo: Nes Play Action Football, StarTropics, To the Earth, Pilotwings 64, Dragon Warrior).
-) Doshin - Doshin the Giant (GameCube 2002, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Hiro - Card Hero (Game Boy Color 2000 Trade & Battle: Card Hero, cameo: Smash Melee).

Tier Four:
-) Dino, Max and Jack - Marvelous (3 games; 1º Super Famicom 1996 Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima, 2º Satellaview Marvelous: Time Athletic, 3º Satellaview Marvelous: Camp Arnold).
-) Mike Anderson - Battle Clash (2 games; 1º Snes 1993 Battle Clash, 2º Snes 1993 Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge).
-) Goose - Pilotwings (Nintendo 64 1997 Pilotwings 64, homage 3DS in Pilotwings Resort).

Tier Five:
-) Mr. Stevenson - Gumshoe (Nes 1988).
-) Harry - Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy 1995).
-) Tin Star - Tin Star (Snes 1994).
-) Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de... (Famicom Disk System 1991).
-) DeMille - Tomato Adventure (Gameboy Advance 2002).
-) Pockle - GiFTPiA (GameCube 2003).
-) John Solver - Bombsweeper (Game & Watch 1987).
-) Boy/Girl - Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival (Game Boy Advance 2002).
-) Itoi Shigesato - Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1 (Nintendo 64 2000).

And here is a list of characters that I don´t know if they are from Nintendo or are from a Third party developer, if someone knows this characters and have the answer can you link me the page from where you got the information.

Muguru-kun - Power Lode Runner (1999 - SNES)
Oni - Power Soukoban (Super Famicom 1999)
Colonel Scott O'Connor - Kabuki Quantum Fighter (Nes 1992)
Kabin - Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics

Finally I´m trying to get more research in WTF and Retro Characters because I see a pattern, there is always a Retro Character and a WTF Retro character in every smash, looking like this:
Smash 64
Retro: Captain Falcon
WTF Retro: Ness
Melee
Retro: Ice Climbers
WTF Retro: Mr. Game & Watch
Brawl
Retro: Pit
WTF Retro: R.O.B.

So who would you think will be the Retro and WTF Retro from this Installment and no, I don´t count Little Mac or Third Party Character like Pac-Man for any retro spot.
.n_n.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You should give the development team a little more credit, honestly. I think that Sakurai with an entire team from a large company (bonus: no long story mode) could get through more than most imagine. It's not so much a fear of cuts I have, I just don't think cuts are as likely as many people think they are given what we know and, more importantly, what we don't know. When I make a prediction roster (which I really should get around to as I haven't in a really long while), I just don't cut anybody because I think I'll end up being closer to the real deal than if I did.

One more thing regarding cuts. People need to get over this thinking that being a 3rd party suddenly means Snake is likely to be cut. He wouldn't make the cut for the same reason as any other character wouldn't (unless that reason is Konami not wanting him to be in the game, but I don't see why they wouldn't). Being a 3rd party isn't a good enough reason. At least in my eyes it isn't.

Though I have to agree about making the roster in the roster maker look nice. I'm stingy about that as well.
More characters = more work on gameplay = more time working on balance. I don't know about you but I say the actualy gameplay and balance between the characters in the game is more important then a lot of characters and for a fighting game 43 is already pretty high anyways. The more characters you put into a game such as this the harder it is to develop quality gameplay and balance between the characters, and to put the cherry on top, Sakurai himself knows this. Sakurai even thinks that 20 characters would have been a nice round number for character slots but now that ship has sailed and people are always going to expect more characters then the last game (http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/459...discusses-the-pain-of-modern-game-development). Sure they could put in 50 characters if they wanted to but that means even tougher gamplay and balance to implement. And since I believe that the rosterwill not be greater then 45 characters, I believe cuts are more likely then what most people think. 3rd party isn't the only reason for Snake btw but for a game like Smash it makes him more of an easy cut, but we also have to consider the art style this game is taking (a more cartoonish light hearted feel) and I don't think Snake fits in very well for that, and the fact that he was only put in as a favor to a friend makes him see as more of a one time thing. And it not about giving the devlopment team enough credit or not, it is simple logic as more characters = harder gameplay development and more difficult time of character balance and I don't think anyone wants Brawl's character balance back, not even those who prefer Brawl but people either don't give a damn about gameplay and balance or don't care and just want characters galore no matter if gameplay or balance is bad. Yes NB is know for producing great fighting games but how many characters in their fighting games do they have? And to add to that how many of their fighting games are like Smash with character done like they are in Smash?

wtf you talking about both were good

Granted if you argued PoR as only a bit better than Radiant Dawn I could buy that, but the change in plot was actually neat to not keep it stale. Going from a king to a god? **** yeah. Yeah, it's a bit random, but when you pull a card like that you run into risks. If they did the same thing they'd basically be remaking Path of Radiance but in different points of view in HD really. They instead batted us a totally different story that felt true to the original with very nice and exciting characters while old characters were expanded on.

Meanwhile Awakening just suffers a lot of small problems that turn into big problems. I mean time travelling is cool but...
Heres the problem, they handled the whole situation badly. And bringing a god into it was jsut the icing on the cake in terms of things handled badly, did you forget about the Blood Pact? God the whole thing was just ugh. The game could have had a fantastic stor that made PoR look bad if they had capatalized more from the Laguz war instead. PersonallyI think if they had just made the senators the final bosses and the main force your against it wouldn't have been stale either. They just could have capatilized off of that concept so well it isn't even funny. I just feelthat they tried to do much story wise in the game and went over board way to often also. Awakening suffers from the same problems, it's just that RD seems liek it has more of the problems then Awakening.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Heres the problem, they handled the whole situation badly. And bringing a god into it was jsut the icing on the cake in terms of things handled badly, did you forget about the Blood Pact? God the whole thing was just ugh. The game could have had a fantastic stor that made PoR look bad if they had capatalized more from the Laguz war instead. PersonallyI think if they had just made the senators the final bosses and the main force your against it wouldn't have been stale either. They just could have capatilized off of that concept so well it isn't even funny. I just feelthat they tried to do much story wise in the game and went over board way to often also. Awakening suffers from the same problems, it's just that RD seems liek it has more of the problems then Awakening.
I didn't forget a lot but they should have just done a few other things. The final boss was probably the best Fire Emblem final boss out there but if some stuff was cut down and whatnot, then it'd be better. The Blood Pact was a bit lolderp.

Trust me, Awakening has them more, especially if you link PoR and RD together.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok guys after three days of research I finally get a complete roster of Retro, Forgotten and Obscure characters from Nintendo, if by chance I miss someone please let me know so I can add it to the list. The characters are main protagonists, I´m not counting Space Firebird, Radar Scope and the like because there is no protagonist at least that I know, they need to have more than 10 years without a new game (not counting Virtual Console). Let´s roll the drums...

Tier One:
-) Mach Rider - Mach Rider (Nes 1985, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: sticker and trophy in Smash Series, WarioWare minigame).
-) Takamaru - Nazo no Murasame-jō (Famicom Disk System 1986, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Pikmin 2, Captain Rainbow, Smash Series, WarioWare minigame, Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land).
-) Lip - Panel de Pon (Super Famicom 1995, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Panel de Pon DS, Smash Series, Captain Rainbow).
-) Bubbles - Clu Clu Land (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2009, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Series, DK: King of Swing, WarioWare minigame).
-) Tamagon - Devil World (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2008, cameo: Smash Series, Tetris DS, Captain Rainbow, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Prince of Sablé - For the Frog the Bell Tolls (Game Boy 1992, 3DS Virtual Console 2012, cameo: Smash Brawl, The Legend of Zelda: Link´s Awakening).
-) Stanley - Donkey Kong 3 (2 games; 1º Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2009, 2º Game & Watch "Green House", cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames).
-) Balloon Fighter - Balloon Fight (Nes 1987, Virtual Console 2013, cameo and game in Animal Crossing, cameo: Smash Series, WarioWare minigames, Tetris DS, Picross DS, Art Style: PiCOPiCT).
-) Donkey Kong Jr. - Donkey Kong Jr. (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Donkey Kong Jr., Virtual Console 2011, 2º Nes 1986 Donkey Kong Jr. Math, Virtual Console 2007, cameo: Donkey Kong '94, WarioWare mingame, Mario Kart, Mario´s Tennis, Super Mario All-Stars, Mario´s Time Machine, Game & Watch Gallery, Punch-Out!!, Smash Ping Pong, Smash Series, Tetris DS).
-) Character - Urban Champion (Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: WarioWare minigame, Tetris DS, Smash Brawl).
-) Ryota Hayami - Wave Race (2 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1997 Wave Race 64, Virtual Console 2007, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Akari Hayami - 1080º Snowboarding (3 games; 1º Nintendo 64 1998 1080º Snowboarding, Virtual Console 2008, 2º GameCube 2002 Wave Race: Blue Storm, 3º GameCube 2004 1080º Avalanche, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Rider - Excitebike (Nes 1986, Virtual Console 2011, cameo: game in Excitebike 64, game in Animal Crossing, Smash Series, WarioWare minigame, Nintendo DSi).
-) Wanda - Mario and Wario (2 games; 1º Super Famicom 1993 Mario and Wario, 2º Nes 1995 Wario´s Woods, Virtual Console 2006, cameo: game in Animal Crossing, Smash Melee, Kirby Super Star).
-) Ayumi Tachibana - Tantei Club (3 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, 3º Satellaview 1997 Tantei Club: Yuki ni Kieta Kako, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Donbe and Hikari - Shin Onigashima (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1987 Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2007, 2º Super Famicom 1998 Heisei Shin Onigashima, Virtual Console 2010, cameo: Yūyūki, Kirby´s Dream Land 3, Smash Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers, Jam with the Band, Captain Rainbow).
-) Lolo - Eggerland (12 games; 1º MSX1985 Eggerland Mystery, 2º MSX2 1986 Labyrinth Myth, 3º Famicom Disk System 1987 Eggerland, 4º Famicom 1988 Eggerland - Revival of the Labyrinth, 5º Famicom Disk System 1988 Eggerland - Departure to Creation, 6º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo Virtual Console 2007, 7º Nes 1991 Adventures of Lolo 2 Virtual Console 2008, 8º Nes 1992 Adventures of Lolo 3, 9º Super Game Boy 1994 Lolo´s Great Adventure, 10º Windows 1996 Eggerland Episode 0: Quest of Lala, 11º Windows 1996 Eggerland for Windows 95, 12º Windows 2001 Revival! Eggerland, cameo: Kirby Series, Kirby Cartoon Series).
-) Dr. Wright - SimCity (2 games; 1º Snes 1992 SimCity Virtual Console 2006, 2º 64DD 2000 SimCity 64, cameos: Smash Series, Zelda Series).

Tier Two:
-) Kururin - Kuru Kuru Kururin (3 games, 1º Game Boy Advance 2001 Kuru Kuru Kururin, 2º Game Boy Advance 2002 Kururin Paradise, 3º Gamecube 2004 Kururin Squash!, cameo: Smash Series).
-) Mike Jones - StarTropics (2 games; 1º Nes 1992, Virtual Console 2008, 2º Nes 1994, Virtual Console 2009).
-) Muddy Mole - Mole Mania (Game Boy 2000, 3DS Virtual Console 2012).
-) Little boy - Bunko: Hajimari no Mori (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2007).
-) Kevin Keene "Captain N" - Captain N: The Game Master (Animated Series last aired 1994, DVD 2007).
-) Hakkun - Sutte Hakkun (Super Famicom 1999, Virtual Console 2010).
-) Protagonist - Tantei Club (2 games; 1º Famicom Disk System 1988 Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha, Virtual Console 2013, 2º Famicom Disk System 1989 Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shōjo, Virtual Console 2013, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Alice - Balloon Kid (2 games; 1º Game Boy 1991 Balloon Kid Virtual Console 2012, 2º Game Boy Color 2000 Balloon Fight GB Virtual Console 2011).
-) -) Protagonist - Koto Battle: Tengai no Moribito (Game Boy Color 2001, Virtual Console 2012).

Tier Three:
-) Dog - Duck Hunt (Nes 1987, dual and triple pack (Mario Bros and then Mario Bros, World Class Track), cameo: Smash Melee, remake - homage in Wii play).
-) Sheriff - Sheriff (Arcade 1980, cameo: Game Boy Camera, Smash Melee, WarioWare minigame).
-) Sukapon - Joy Mecha Fight (Nes 1993, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Goku and Chao - Yūyūki (Famicom Disk System 1989, cameo: Kirby´s Series, Daigasso! Band Brothers DX).
-) F-Type - Stunt Race FX (Snes 1994, cameo: Smash Brawl).
-) Sky Skipper - Sky Skipper (Atari 2600 1983, cameo: Game Boy Camera).
-) Fighter Hayabusa - Pro Wrestling (Nes 1987, cameo: Pokemon Series, Kingdom of Loathing, Mario & Luigi: Bowser´s Inside Story, Red Faction).
-) Nester - Nintendo Power (Nintendo Power, Virtual Boy 1996 Nester's Funky Bowling, cameo: Nes Play Action Football, StarTropics, To the Earth, Pilotwings 64, Dragon Warrior).
-) Doshin - Doshin the Giant (GameCube 2002, cameo: Smash Melee).
-) Hiro - Card Hero (Game Boy Color 2000 Trade & Battle: Card Hero, cameo: Smash Melee).

Tier Four:
-) Dino, Max and Jack - Marvelous (3 games; 1º Super Famicom 1996 Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima, 2º Satellaview Marvelous: Time Athletic, 3º Satellaview Marvelous: Camp Arnold).
-) Mike Anderson - Battle Clash (2 games; 1º Snes 1993 Battle Clash, 2º Snes 1993 Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge).
-) Goose - Pilotwings (Nintendo 64 1997 Pilotwings 64, homage 3DS in Pilotwings Resort).

Tier Five:
-) Mr. Stevenson - Gumshoe (Nes 1988).
-) Harry - Teleroboxer (Virtual Boy 1995).
-) Tin Star - Tin Star (Snes 1994).
-) Protagonist - Time Twist: Rekishi no Katasumi de... (Famicom Disk System 1991).
-) DeMille - Tomato Adventure (Gameboy Advance 2002).
-) Pockle - GiFTPiA (GameCube 2003).
-) John Solver - Bombsweeper (Game & Watch 1987).
-) Boy/Girl - Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival (Game Boy Advance 2002).
-) Itoi Shigesato - Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1 (Nintendo 64 2000).

And here is a list of characters that I don´t know if they are from Nintendo or are from a Third party developer, if someone knows this characters and have the answer can you link me the page from where you got the information.

Muguru-kun - Power Lode Runner (1999 - SNES)
Oni - Power Soukoban (Super Famicom 1999)
Colonel Scott O'Connor - Kabuki Quantum Fighter (Nes 1992)
Kabin - Karkurenbo Battle Monster Tactics

Finally I´m trying to get more research in WTF and Retro Characters because I see a pattern, there is always a Retro Character and a WTF Retro character in every smash, looking like this:
Smash 64
Retro: Captain Falcon
WTF Retro: Ness
Melee
Retro: Ice Climbers
WTF Retro: Mr. Game & Watch
Brawl
Retro: Pit
WTF Retro: R.O.B.

So who would you think will be the Retro and WTF Retro from this Installment and no, I don´t count Little Mac or Third Party Character like Pac-Man for any retro spot.
.n_n.
Fix'd~

I didn't forget a lot but they should have just done a few other things. The final boss was probably the best Fire Emblem final boss out there but if some stuff was cut down and whatnot, then it'd be better. The Blood Pact was a bit lolderp.

Trust me, Awakening has them more, especially if you link PoR and RD together.
I could have probably delt with the god thing if it was handled better. But I feel like there are just a lot of missed opprotunities in that game, story wise.

My only big gripe with Awakening is the time travel, that was just triple ugh. I would have prefered a parent-child system viva la FE4 (I think that is the right FE game...) but with keeping the parents there and just aging so you don't lose your hard work with them and the DLC shiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom