• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By that logic, nobody enjoys fighting Master Hand on part of him being a made up character, when that's far from true. Crazy Hand, another supposedly made up character, was rather well acclaimed back in Melee, too. The fighting teams are never really looked upon as bland or unnecessary. Really, it sounds to me like the idea of a brand new character isn't too far out there considering what Smash already has. A character to represent Smash Bros. sounds exactly like something he'd do.

Besides that, a brand new character wouldn't exactly get in the way of anything. He'd be tied in deep with the story mode, would have his own stages already made in the form of Final Destination and Battlefield, all his themes covered by the main song of SSB4, and needs only a few trophies. Do all that, create his moveset, and boom, he has all he needs to be a full part of the cast.
Very few people play Smash to fight Master Hand as opposed to those who play to fight the other playable characters. Plus bosses and playable characters are very different. Do you see very many people clamoring to play as the Hands? Look how poorly the majority of the original-to-Brawl characters were received. And the fighting teams have been seen as bland and unnecessary many times. They fit their role as generic unlimited and faceless enemies well though, where really the goal is to be bland, and not to stand out. I very much doubt anyone views them as a necessary addition.

And I didn't say I would be against an original-to-Smash character, I said I would be against arbitrarily creating one randomly at this point to represent a major series they never existed in previously. If Sakurai didn't care about the pedigree of characters added, he wouldn't go for the most important ones. Plus look how long it took him to add existing popular and requested characters from a series he created separate from Smash. It took until they were among the most requested. He's so humble with his creations, and it took him so long to add character people actually cared about, do you really think adding one that nobody really cares about is something he's likely to do? Sure he's unpredictable, but he also has a history of modesty and overt humbleness. Lastly, he was also the one who decided to abandon the idea of original fighters, and doesn't want to overly include Japanese-only characters because "they are unknown to a vast amount of people". How is adding a character that is unknown to literally everyone in a series touted as a gathering of gaming icons sound like something he'd do?

Technically speaking, Mr. Game & Watch is an original character. There wasn't an actual Mr. Game & Watch in the Game & Watch titles, nor was there a location called Superflat World. Both concepts were introduced in Melee for the purpose of providing an identity.
The identity is, the character isn't.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
What about a character who first appears in smash. But later on gets his own game? (Kinda like Roy, but more like what they did with Pit)

Sort of reminds me of when Brawl was announced. I remember thinking how bizarre it was Link was in his TP attire despite that the game hadn't been released yet. Of course by the time we finally got the game TP had been out for over a year and it was only a different appearance but hey.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For me it goes:

Takamaru >>>> Balloon Fighter > Mach >>>>>> Everything else

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
That's the thing with everything else; I really need to remember

Oh and I like the idea of Mike Jones. Really, anything that really shows up on the roster as interesting and possible for new games or at least a good moveset gets my +1, but it has to stick out to some extent. I guess that's why I can't get behind Mach Rider.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Mach Rider, Muddy Mole, Sukapon, Balloon Fighter, Lip, Excite Biker, and Duck Hunt Dog to name a few. Theres most likely a lot more though.
...Eh, I guess we'll see if something else isn't picked.

Also surprisingly asides from the Riders I'd be okay with any of those. I think Sukapon + Takamaru would be a nice combination for a "WHAT THE HELL" and "Good retro". I mean come on, how can you not want to Smash to THIS remix? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qJsA_Dpr-0

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Honestly, I can see there being no Retro happening this time. Especially since we're supposedly on the decline of how many newcomers we get.
But If there is one, Takamaru seems pretty likely to me. Sukapon seems neat though.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure that even if we decrease in newcomers, Sakurai will still want to rep older series to bring them to new audiences, or even to revive them. There'll be likely less retros- maybe just one, which I'm banking on- but there'll still be some probably.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Regarding to the scenario where a character is introduced that is essentially a foreshadowing of sorts for a future title, that's an impossible factor to 100% determine. While we did get Roy due to this, the situation surrounding it does merit the inclusion. At the time, there was a desire for a clone of Marth, and the choices at the time were down to Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, and Leif. The reason Roy was picked over all of them was because his Sword of Seals providing fire properties, which made him standout more. Also it's worth noting that the idea of including Roy was Sakurai's idea, not the people at Intelligent Systems, and he included Roy as a face of sorts for Fire Emblem as a whole. In return, this tidbit was referenced in the credits of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade as a shout out to Sakurai and the team behind Melee.

Anyway to not get off track, if a situation like that does crop up, the most likely contender for that would have to come from X. The protagonist from that game could be chosen if likable and workable enough. Though at the moment, whether or not that happens depends on the situation at hand.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Regarding to the scenario where a character is introduced that is essentially a foreshadowing of sorts for a future title, that's an impossible factor to 100% determine. While we did get Roy due to this, the situation surrounding it does merit the inclusion. At the time, there was a desire for a clone of Marth, and the choices at the time were down to Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, and Leif. The reason Roy was picked over all of them was because his Sword of Seals providing fire properties, which made him standout more. Also it's worth noting that the idea of including Roy was Sakurai's idea, not the people at Intelligent Systems, and he included Roy as a face of sorts for Fire Emblem as a whole. In return, this tidbit was referenced in the credits of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade as a shout out to Sakurai and the team behind Melee.

Anyway to not get off track, if a situation like that does crop up, the most likely contender for that would have to come from X. The protagonist from that game could be chosen if likable and workable enough. Though at the moment, whether or not that happens depends on the situation at hand.
The X Protagonist fighting Shulk would be pretty interesting.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The other problem with that is after the whole case with Lucas to be in ever since Smash 64 is really the fact that we don't know what's going to happen to every future title. There could be something awesome Nintendo is making right now... that won't get funded all the way through because "___ happened"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You do know the difference between want and predict.
Dude. It was a joke.

I just made a joke comparing you to someone else who wants Adeline. I meant no harm by it.

@Magnes
Sure Mac isn't a retro character any more. However, he's one of the more likely new series to get a character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The 11 days are going to pass by really quickly, you'll see. But I will say that hopefully whatever is shown will clarify questions that have been going around.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Actually my predictions are much better. And I am COMPLETELY aware of the popularity and inner workings. Just because I say they can't be in doesn't mean I don't. You don't get into SSB for being a good selling game. You can disagree, but that's how it is. Shulk won't be in SSB4. That's all I have to say about that.
If you were completely aware of the inner workings then you would know that Shulk is first party, that Sakurai implied that Starfy would not be playable in SSB and that Palutena is Sakurai's new favourite toy (and equally most popular newcomer in Japan).
I'm not sure you even understand the concepts of first party and third party since you only ever talk about how often a character is on Nintendo consoles.

Your reasoning for Shulk not being in SSB4 was that there are better third party choices.
What reasoning do you have now that you know better?

Your reasoning for Palutena missing out is also nonsensical.
Then you have a whole array of ridiculous choices like Ninten, Starfy, Erika, Sheriff, Karis and Ray.

You are going to be very humbled when we see the roster. Even at E3 if they reveal characters I think you will start to realise that you're not gods gift to this board.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's a wishlist right?

If so, it's pretty cool! You included everyone I could possibly want and then some.

If it's a prediction though....
Yeah, I was a little worried it was a prediction list. For a second I was like "I think it would be best NOT to comment on this."

If you were completely aware of the inner workings then you would know that Shulk is first party, that Sakurai implied that Starfy would not be playable in SSB and that Palutena is Sakurai's new favourite toy (and equally most popular newcomer in Japan).
I'm not sure you even understand the concepts of first party and third party since you only ever talk about how often a character is on Nintendo consoles.

Your reasoning for Shulk not being in SSB4 was that there are better third party choices.
What reasoning do you have now that you know better?

Your reasoning for Palutena missing out is also nonsensical.
Then you have a whole array of ridiculous choices like Ninten, Starfy, Erika, Sheriff, Karis and Ray.

You are going to be very humbled when we see the roster. Even at E3 if they reveal characters I think you will start to realise that you're not gods gift to this board.
I'll my choices you claim to be ridicolous are more realistic then your whole roster, But, alas we've all moved on to another subject. And yes I am VERY excited to see MY reps appear in the Nintendo Direct so people can understand how the roster in SSB really works. We are no longer arguing about Shulk so you might wanna post something else.:glare:

I know I'm not the only one excited to see my characters in SSB. Everyone's gonna freak when they see theirs. Can I get a HECK YEAH!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yes, I would be excited about the characters I want being in, but at the same time it's not going to be a deal breaker.

Also, maybe triple posting might not be a bright idea.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I love how I come back after a few hours, and this is STILL going on.

Seriously though. I love it.

I don't want anyone to take this is me being full of myself or anything, but as far as characters getting revealed, save for one or two choices I think my roster is pretty safe, and incredibly likely.

I'm sure there will be some characters that don't make it that i've included.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Lol, what if NONE of our characters got in? :laugh:
I've come up with the theory that Noah J. Linderer is a multi troll account.
Not only that but I have a suspect: GoldenYuiitusin.

Several reasons to think that:
Usually Golden would be the first one leading an argument against someone like Noah very viciously and aggresively. But Golden only made minor comments and in a much cooler way than his usual insulting and humiliating.
Noah praised Golden for being smart and a fair poster despite disagreeing. This is also not in the character of Noah.
They are never in a thread at the exact same time as far as I have noticed so far. But are on at the same times of day.
He is one of the few of us who spends enough time on this board to do something like this too.

Just a hypothesis.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Lol....

I've come up with the theory that Noah J. Linderer is a multi troll account.
Not only that but I have a suspect: GoldenYuiitusin.

Several reasons to think that:
Usually Golden would be the first one leading an argument against someone like Noah very viciously and aggresively. But Golden only made minor comments and in a much cooler way than his usual insulting and humiliating.
Noah praised Golden for being smart and a fair poster despite disagreeing. This is also not in the character of Noah.
They are never in a thread at the exact same time as far as I have noticed so far. But are on at the same times of day.
He is one of the few of us who spends enough time on this board to do something like this too.

Just a hypothesis.
It's not a troll account. It's just some guy from youtube who gets mad when people don't agree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom