• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it's safe to say we'll be getting at least one "standard" retro (like ICs or Pit), but assuming or predicting more than that is fairly unfounded. Ofc it's possible we might get more than one, but I wouldn't say it's likely. However Sakurai is never the easiest guy to predict, so who knows.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
What do people tend to see Game and Watch and R.O.B. as? I see them as retros as sorts but of a more hardware orientated persuasion. If, just for a second, we class them as just straight-up retros then both Melee and Brawl had two new retros. I really can't think of a new more hardware orientated character for the new game but it's being made by more creative people than I.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What do people tend to see Game and Watch and R.O.B. as? I see them as retros as sorts but of a more hardware orientated persuasion. If, just for a second, we class them as just straight-up retros then both Melee and Brawl had two new retros. I really can't think of a new more hardware orientated character for the new game but it's being made by more creative people than I.
People classify them as a lot of things. Secondary retros and WTF characters are what most people usually see them as, but they were likely added for historical significance or as hardware representatives. I very much doubt they were just added because they were retro.

Other hardware characters could be Sheriff, Diskun, and Mii, and I guess a case could be made for DHD. The former two could also work as historical characters. Maybe the Mii as well, but that would be recent history.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't think we'll get another character like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B., mainly because nothing really comes close to ether. While both choices are outlandish, both are pretty notable in Nintendo's history. The only thing that could work out this time around is a completely made up character that utilizes attacks based around the varies toys and games Nintendo made before becoming a video game company.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think we'll get another character like Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B., mainly because nothing really comes close to ether.
I tend to agree with this. There really isn't much else they could add to fit the "pattern". Maybe Sakurai will just settle with Takamaru and then Little Mac as a pseudo retro. Or something.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well there are still the ones N3ON mentioned besides the Mii as they aren't exactly retro (although they were planned since the NES days if I remember correctly, but they weren't called Mii's back then of course).

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking very much along those lines. I'm certain they could put another similar character in if they really wanted but it'd be forced. Other than Mii I can't see any more hardware related characters getting in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well there are still the ones N3ON mentioned besides the Mii as they aren't exactly retro (although they were planned since the NES days if I remember correctly, but they weren't called Mii's back then of course).
Right. I listed the Mii with the assumption characters like G&W and ROB weren't added because they were retro, but because of the other factors. If indeed being retro does play a part, then the Miis would obviously be excluded.

And tbh I don't find any of the retro characters I listed as particularly likely, just ones that would fit in those specific categories.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For clarification, the concept of an avatar like the Mii has been dated back since the Famicom, though the concept itself didn't come into fruition until the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive game Mario Artist: Talent Studio.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Right. I listed the Mii with the assumption characters like G&W and ROB weren't added because they were retro, but because of the other factors. If indeed being retro does play a part, then the Miis would obviously be excluded.

And tbh I don't find any of the retro characters I listed as particularly likely, just ones that would fit in those specific categories.
Well if it's just for Nintendo hardware reasons etc. I guess I can see them going for the Mii's this time around. We may not even end up with a character along the lines of R.O.B. and Game & Watch anyway. :/
For clarification, the concept of an avatar like the Mii has been dated back since the Famicom, though the concept itself didn't come into fruition until the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive game Mario Artist: Talent Studio.
I've read that it was because Miyamoto wasn't sure how to implement these avatar characters into other games of why he held out until much later on until the Wii. (at least that's what I vaguely remember about it since it's been a while since I've last read about it, so I could be likely wrong). That's why I wasn't surprised the Mii's stuck around with the 3DS and Wii U as some people were and they likely will stick around with Nintendo for a very long time to come.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Really, unless it's a Mii, which I still doubt, despite it being a fairly logical thought, we'd really have to settle for something off-the-wall, sort of like G&W seemed to be initially.

I've got it. ZAPPER MAN!

Somehow, Sakurai succeeded in turning the SNES Zapper and the Powerglove into a single, possibly-bipedal entity. I don't have the mental capability to actually imagine what such a beast looks like, but I'll leave that for the man himself.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Even though he isn't very well known, and he's hardly a retro, I think Nintendouji would be the best way left to represent Nintendo's history. Assuming Hanafuda cards were incorporated into his moveset. Also not hardware, but the cards are something physical to represent, like the G&W and the ROB. Ah, just an unlikely idea, but I'd like to see it. A card fighter could also be very interesting.

He'd be my choice for the G&W/ROB of SSB4, even though he wouldn't be exactly like the previous two.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Really, unless it's a Mii, which I still doubt, despite it being a fairly logical thought, we'd really have to settle for something off-the-wall, sort of like G&W seemed to be initially.

I've got it. ZAPPER MAN!

Somehow, Sakurai succeeded in turning the SNES Zapper and the Powerglove into a single, possibly-bipedal entity. I don't have the mental capability to actually imagine what such a beast looks like, but I'll leave that for the man himself.

I can't help think it'd look a little like this-

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Alternatively, the card fighter could be the hero from the Card Hero games, ether Hiro from the first game or Satoru from the sequel.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alternatively, the card fighter could be the hero from the Card Hero games, ether Hiro from the first game or Satoru from the sequel.
Yeah, but they likely wouldn't use Hanafuda cards. At least Nintendouji might, as he's sort of a representative of Nintendo itself, being named Nintendo Boy after all.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lol, not every Adeline supporter is Ove. :laugh:
How can you be so sure? MAYBE YOU'RE OVE!!!!

Yeah, I know it's probably not him, but I wasn't gonna let that joke walk away.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Does it have to be a retro character exactly? G&W and ROB were completely unexpected. That's the criteria, right?

Why not a brand new character entirely?

I mean, the Ancient Minister, Tabuu, Galleom, and Duon were SSE originals. Smash itself has a variety of made up characters with the hands, the fighting polygon team, the wireframes, and the fighting alloys. Smash itself is an established series. Shouldn't it get its own representation? It's insane troll logic, sure, but it's an unexpected and interesting idea nonetheless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Does it have to be a retro character exactly? G&W and ROB were completely unexpected. That's the criteria, right?

Why not a brand new character entirely?

I mean, the Ancient Minister, Tabuu, Galleom, and Duon were SSE originals. Smash itself has a variety of made up characters with the hands, the fighting polygon team, the wireframes, and the fighting alloys. Smash itself is an established series. Shouldn't it get its own representation? It's insane troll logic, sure, but it's an unexpected and interesting idea nonetheless.
Perhaps the ability to play as the fighting (insert name here) team? Even though we'd only be limited to use their smash attacks and that overall, they'd be clones of the actual characters. Basically single button mode from Melee.

Or perhaps a brand new original character in the new SSE and we get to unlock him/her in the end? :/

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
If it was some sort of special, one-of-a-kind Primid that plays a major role in the Adventure Mode, I honestly wouldn't mind it. The benefit of creating a brand new character entirely on their own means that they could design a moveset created for balance first and foremost, since one of Sakurai's criteria for characters is that their inclusion should contribute to cast balance.

I'm sure they could come up with something more unique than just a Primid, though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The idea of some kind of Primid general seems cool to me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think an original-to-Smash character kinda defeats the point of Smash, to bring notable characters from other series together. Creating some random character for SSB4 or choosing some relatively unimportant existing original character to make playable doesn't sit well we me. If there was hypothetically a non-playable original-to-Smash character that had showed up for several installments now and had a decent amount of requests to be playable, I guess I could understand that, but just randomly creating some character that just shows up in the fourth installment to "represent Smash Bros. itself" isn't something I'd be for, and doesn't sound like something Sakurai would do.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I found the enemies in SE to be uninspired. If the decision was made to add a brand new smash original character it would have to be, well, original. Personally though I'm against the idea. Smash is meant to be a celebration of all things Nintendo and its cast of characters separates it from run of the mill fighting games.

I want to have already heard of the character before he's announced, the only exception to this would be if by chance a new Nintendo IP was in the works and the main character got a smash spot. Miyamoto is apparently working on something new as we speak- I'll stop there before the imagination runs away.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I could see an OC Smash rep coming as DLC. (So it wouldn't really be taking up space unless you decided to download it)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically speaking, Mr. Game & Watch is an original character. There wasn't an actual Mr. Game & Watch in the Game & Watch titles, nor was there a location called Superflat World. Both concepts were introduced in Melee for the purpose of providing an identity.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I think an original-to-Smash character kinda defeats the point of Smash, to bring notable characters from other series together. Creating some random character for SSB4 or choosing some relatively unimportant existing original character to make playable doesn't sit well we me. If there was hypothetically a non-playable original-to-Smash character that had showed up for several installments now and had a decent amount of requests to be playable, I guess I could understand that, but just randomly creating some character that just shows up in the fourth installment to "represent Smash Bros. itself" isn't something I'd be for, and doesn't sound like something Sakurai would do.
By that logic, nobody enjoys fighting Master Hand on part of him being a made up character, when that's far from true. Crazy Hand, another supposedly made up character, was rather well acclaimed back in Melee, too. The fighting teams are never really looked upon as bland or unnecessary. Really, it sounds to me like the idea of a brand new character isn't too far out there considering what Smash already has. A character to represent Smash Bros. sounds exactly like something he'd do.

Besides that, a brand new character wouldn't exactly get in the way of anything. He'd be tied in deep with the story mode, would have his own stages already made in the form of Final Destination and Battlefield, all his themes covered by the main song of SSB4, and needs only a few trophies. Do all that, create his moveset, and boom, he has all he needs to be a full part of the cast.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Technically speaking, Mr. Game & Watch is an original character. There wasn't an actual Mr. Game & Watch in the Game & Watch titles, nor was there a location called Flat World. Both concepts were introduced in Melee for the purpose of providing an identity.
True.

By that logic, nobody enjoys fighting Master Hand on part of him being a made up character. Crazy Hand, another supposedly made up character, was rather well acclaimed back in Melee, too. The fighting teams are never really looked upon as bland or unnecessary. Really, it sounds to me like the idea of a brand new character isn't too far out there considering what Smash already has. A character to represent Smash Bros. sounds exactly like something he'd do.

Besides that, a brand new character wouldn't exactly get in the way of anything. He'd be tied in deep with the story mode, would have his own stages already made in the form of Final Destination and Battlefield, all his themes covered by the main song of SSB4, and needs only a few trophies. Do all that, create his moveset, and boom, he has all he needs to be a full part of the cast.
I remember reading some thread on another forum where people claimed that Master Hand and Crazy Hand were the finger cursors that you find in Nintendo games. (Or the hand from the fly swatter game in Mario paint)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
By that logic, nobody enjoys fighting Master Hand on part of him being a made up character, when that's far from true. Crazy Hand, another supposedly made up character, was rather well acclaimed back in Melee, too. The fighting teams are never really looked upon as bland or unnecessary. Really, it sounds to me like the idea of a brand new character isn't too far out there considering what Smash already has. A character to represent Smash Bros. sounds exactly like something he'd do.

We're referring to a Playable original character. Master and Crazy hands aren't relevant to that. I myself would be against that, because as N3ON said, the game is based on mashing up all of Nintendo's franchises, not creating new ones so to speak..

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman

There's a difference between fighting against and fighting as. I suggest the reason the villains in smashes story are mostly original creations is to not give too much credit to any single franchise. The two hands represent the creators of the characters and so are a common enemy in the canon of the games. Most the major nintendo villains are playable in smash anyway so it wouldn't make much sense to have them potentially beating themselves up at the end of classic mode.

The problem with creating a character for the sake of the story is same as above, there's no need to throw someone in for the sake of the story. There's already a huge number of characters and I'm sure one of them could fill this role. An original character, even if they weren't made so, would always be viewed as the protagonist of a series which shouldn't have one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What about a character who first appears in smash. But later on gets his own game? (Kinda like Roy, but more like what they did with Pit)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Habanero is right though. Mr. Game & Watch is technically a Smash OC.

What about a character who first appears in smash. But later on gets his own game? (Kinda like Roy, but more like what they did with Pit)
You might as well say that Starkiller from The Force Unleashed is a SoulCalibur character since he first appeared in SC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom