• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gune

Smash Lord
Just read the last few pages....Luaghed my *** off at the previous page that karma its just so delicous. Anyway's im bored whats the topic now?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I've been wondering a lot about Dixie Kong today, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas that would make her stand out from being a Diddy semi-clone? I've looked up what she does but all I see is bubblegum and hair twirls with a hint of electric guitar.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I've been wondering a lot about Dixie Kong today, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas that would make her stand out from being a Diddy semi-clone? I've looked up what she does but all I see is bubblegum and hair twirls with a hint of electric guitar.
Well, Dixie could be paired up with Kiddy Kong, tagging out between the two with Down B, like in DKC, but there's the 3DS problem with multiple characters and the fact that Kiddy isn't all that notable, only appearing in one game.

Someone posted a moveset a few days ago with exploding bubblegum for B, a hair grab for forward B and barrel throwing for Down B. Forgot the Up B.

----

Bajef8

Smash Ace
@Bajef:
That idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We don't need to give Sakurai any ideas that would compromise the co-existence of Mewtwo and Lucario, you know.
It's bad enough we see Mewtwo B using Aura Sphere in the movie....

I understand that, I'm just not a big fan of Lucario as well as the 2 co-existing. So that's why I suggest it. Lucario to me was just bland and poorly executed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Play DKC 2 / 3.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Play DKC 2 / 3.
Forgot some things.

Dixie can use her hair like a helicopter to get large horizontal distance while descending slowly, (like Rayman) and If I recall, Diddy and Dixie can throw each other to reach high-up stuff in the original DKC2. I've only played the GameBoy version Donkey Kong Land 2, and they can't do that there.

She spins her hair around to attack enemies, much like Diddy's cartwheels.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Eh, funny picture today, but nothing new. To answer Peachy's question, I think Dixie can easily be her own character. Actually, day by day, I'm finding her more and more likely.

Foxxie

Smash Rookie
While I think she'd be a good addition, I don't see why they would want three Kongs in the game, especially considering how similarly Dixie and Diddy would play.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Personally, I'd have to take preference with King K. Rool over Dixie Kong by a country mile, just because I feel he'd had more unique traits to offer and I don't feel like DK will get four reps - so far, only the 'big three' (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) of Nintendo's franchises have gotten or exceeded four characters in the roster. That, coupled with what so far appears to be a focus on repping a wider variety of series' (if the three newcomers are anything to go by) makes me believe DK will only get one new rep, if any.

With that being said, I just can't justify Dixie getting in, in terms of what a character can do at least. Granted, the fact that K. Rool hasn't been seen in a while and that Dixie Kong was planned for Brawl mean it could go either way, but hopefully Sakurai will see sense and realize that K. Rool probably has more to offer the roster in terms of the 'uniqueness' he seems to strive for - especially when all likelihood would suggest Dixie was going to see inclusion in Brawl as a clone/semi-clone.

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't mean I think Dixie would be a clone by any means - just that her potential inclusion in Brawl was likely due to her being an easy last minute choice to bulk up the roster, and doesn't necessarily reflect her actual chances.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, I seriously can't let this go.

(Irregardless, you mean to say)
NOPENOPENOPE. One thousand NOPEs. "Irregardless" isn't a word at all. Regardless is what he meant to say. Adding "Ir-" as a prefix to "regardless" negates the "-less" suffix, making it entirely redundant, as it would just mean "regard" since the other two cancel. As such, "irregardless" is not a word.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

NOPENOPENOPE. One thousand NOPEs. "Irregardless" isn't a word at all. Regardless is what he meant to say. Adding "Ir-" as a prefix to "regardless" negates the "-less" suffix, making it entirely redundant, as it would just mean "regard" since the other two cancel. As such, "irregardless" is not a word.
Thank God someone pointed it out! Whoo!

Foxxie

Smash Rookie

Thank you so much for that, Oppssum. I didn't want to have to be the one to do it.

And, on-topic, I would much prefer either a non-Kong inclusion (such as K. Rool) or another pick from another series over Dixie.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Wait... DivineDeity corrected 'regardless' with 'irregardless'? Oh man, good game. I'm done. Game over. There's no way the guy isn't a troll or an alt account. We've been well and truly duped guys, kudos to DivineDeity because he's certainly had us all going. xD

Spire

III
BRoomer
Had a dream. Ridley, Mewtwo, Takamaru, and Little Mac got in. So did Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett. And Goofy. And Ronald McDonald. And the Burger King. There were many others, more ridiculous than the last. That's all I can remember.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Had a dream. Ridley, Mewtwo, Takamaru, and Little Mac got in. So did Luke Skywalker and Boba Fett. And Goofy. And Ronald McDonald. And the Burger King. There were many others, more ridiculous than the last. That's all I can remember.
Inb4 Burger King confirmation :p

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
No matter how I put a roster together I always find myself needing to put in k rool because all of the other potential characters are so light weight. And the roster needs to have some balance. Do you think that might help his inclusion?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I couldn't see dixie getting in as her own character. Especially over King K. Rool.
I could see her and diddy be a tag team, and I could see her partner with maybe kiddy kong. Especially if he is the last playable character in the DKC:TB game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Dixie Kong is just a bad idea and it's probably why she barely made it to the end of Brawl. Dixie Kong would only work as a semi-clone of Diddy, and even then that just proves K. Rool is a better idea.

Speaking of similar charactersistics, the reason I don't have Lucario is more complicated. Everybody thinks it's because I'm a Genesect fanboy or because I'm one of those idiots that thinks Lucario is the same as Mewtwo.

Here's the thing. There are over 600 Pokemon, I find it very unlikely that Sakurai would choose 2 with such similar characteristics when there are so many to choose from and Mewtwo can easily replace Lucario without too much disappointment. You're probably thinking "Oh, well what about Toon Link?" And that's the thing, it's not other reps having similar characteristics, it's Pokemon reps having similar characteristics. There's not 600 Zelda characters or anybody who can replace Toon Link. And similar doesn't equal the same.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong is just a bad idea and it's probably why she barely made it to the end of Brawl. Dixie Kong would only work as a semi-clone of Diddy, and even then that just proves K. Rool is a better idea.

Speaking of similar charactersistics, the reason I don't have Lucario is more complicated. Everybody thinks it's because I'm a Genesect fanboy or because I'm one of those idiots that thinks Lucario is the same as Mewtwo.

Here's the thing. There are over 600 Pokemon, I find it very unlikely that Sakurai would choose 2 with such similar characteristics when there are so many to choose from and Mewtwo can easily replace Lucario without too much disappointment. You're probably thinking "Oh, well what about Toon Link?" And that's the thing, it's not other reps having similar characteristics, it's Pokemon reps having similar characteristics. There's not 600 Zelda characters or anybody who can replace Toon Link. And similar doesn't equal the same.
I get what you're saying, but cannonically Lucario has very little in common with Mewtwo besides the fact that they're both famous pokemon. The moveset characteristic similarities were completely unecessary, and it took thought to have Lucario's moveset so similar to Mewtwo's. If they get in together I doubt they'll be very similar.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
man I hope the rumor is not correct about king k rool on being a boss and not playable even though it was by that fool with the another rumor page and as for Dixie well it depends but im going to be pissed if Dixie is a clone of diddy kong if confirmed

and one question why do some of you people think the duck hunt dog is possible besides the duck hunt being part of the bundle of first released nes games witch includes the ice climbers

TheCreator

Smash Lord
man I hope the rumor is not correct about king k rool on being a boss and not playable even though it was by that fool with the another rumor page and as for Dixie well it depends but im going to be pissed if Dixie is a clone of diddy kong if confirmed

and one question why do some of you people think the duck hunt dog is possible besides the duck hunt being part of the bundle of first released nes games witch includes the ice climbers
Because there's no reason why he's not. :039:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because there's no reason why he's not. :039:
Wow, you think ANY character will work flawlessly.

I get what you're saying, but cannonically Lucario has very little in common with Mewtwo besides the fact that they're both famous pokemon. The moveset characteristic similarities were completely unecessary, and it took thought to have Lucario's moveset so similar to Mewtwo's. If they get in together I doubt they'll be very similar.
  1. Similar character/body structure
  2. Auroa type is similar to Shadow
  3. Both have similar personality and can talk
  4. Both have shadow ball attack and similar Smash Attacks
  5. Both are lightweight and floaty and share some similar movements
I'm not stating these as reasons to not have Lucario. I'm just stating the similarities.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm pretty sure the first bundle did not include Ice Climbers.

It was either Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt, or Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet.

Regardless... Duck Hunt Dog is still a pretty good and iconic addition. Precisely for the fact that it came bundled with pretty much every NES, if I'm not mistaken.
Duck Hunt game was probably part of every NES owner's childhood.

It's one thing being a retro character... it's another being a nostalgic character.
Ice Climbers are retro, Duck Hunt is nostalgic, because I'm sure almost every NES owner played it. :)

EDIT: That rumor sounds false to me. Though he does connect several dots nicely, like Wolf being low priority in Brawl (no duh?) which is why he ALMOST didn't make it in the game.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Duck Hunt Dog isn't as deserving of a background character as Wii Fit Trainer or R.O.B., and with the addition of Wii Fit Trainer is enough. Let's save the other slots for characters with actual roles instead of background icons.

Duck Hunt Dog needs to be a stage background if anything, or better yet an assist trophy that laughs and then just disappears.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure the first bundle did not include Ice Climbers.

It was either Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt, or Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and World Class Track Meet.

Regardless... Duck Hunt Dog is still a pretty good and iconic addition. Precisely for the fact that it came bundled with pretty much every NES, if I'm not mistaken.
Duck Hunt game was probably part of every NES owner's childhood.

It's one thing being a retro character... it's another being a nostalgic character.
Ice Climbers are retro, Duck Hunt is nostalgic, because I'm sure almost every NES owner played it. :)

EDIT: That rumor sounds false to me. Though he does connect several dots nicely, like Wolf being low priority in Brawl (no duh?) which is why he ALMOST didn't make it in the game.
It was Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt. I remember cause I use to own it.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Wow, you think ANY character will work flawlessly.

I'm not stating these as reasons to not have Lucario. I'm just stating the similarities.
That I do, fella. I know Sakurai could probably add Tamagon and make him a pretty decent moveset. Speaking generally that means I know what tha man is capable of. Duck Hunt Dog WOULD work flawlessly if he wanted it to.

1. Ok. Genesect too.
2. Actually no, it's about as similar to shadow as it is to fire.
3. They don't have similar personalities and even if they did Mewtwo could have one of two. They can both talk....ok. Matters not. Genesect can too.
4. & 5. If you read what I said, I mentioned how it took thought to have Mewtwo and Lucario have such similar movesets when they have so little in common. Lucario is smaller than Mewtwo, lighter, and a fighting type. His moves can be vastly different, I guarantee. And if they get in together, they likely will.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
1. Somewhat yes, but it's not like having a similar body type means they'll play similarly.
2. Shadow Type? If you mean that dark energy that Mewtwo uses then that's just aesthetic and nothing more, Lucario's is actually made to be a part of the character. Also, as TheCreator said it's no different then the fire effect.
3. Lucario is not a antihero and is portrayed as more heroic.
4. The only smash attack they share is the Forward Smash and even then the properties are different. They do share a charge up move though but that's really the extent of their moveset similarities for the most part.
5. Again, yes to an extent, but as TheCreator said that doesn't mean that they can't be reworked.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That I do, fella. I know Sakurai could probably add Tamagon and make him a pretty decent moveset. Speaking generally that means I know what tha man is capable of. Duck Hunt Dog WOULD work flawlessly if he wanted it to.

1. Ok. Genesect too.
2. Actually no, it's about as similar to shadow as it is to fire.
3. They don't have similar personalities and even if they did Mewtwo could have one of two. They can both talk....ok. Matters not. Genesect can too.
4. & 5. If you read what I said, I mentioned how it took thought to have Mewtwo and Lucario have such similar movesets when they have so little in common. Lucario is smaller than Mewtwo, lighter, and a fighting type. His moves can be vastly different, I guarantee. And if they get in together, they likely will.
Duck Hunt as many flaws.

And how does Genesect have similar body structure or similarities to either characters? And yes their personality is similar.

You don't accept anything that points out the slightest flaw in any character, usually by using excuses for characters like Duck Hunt Dog or Tom Nook. Everyone is perfect to you. That gets annoying.

It was Super Mario Bros & Duck Hunt. I remember cause I use to own it.
There were only 2 Bundles

Super Mario Brothers & Duck Hunt
Super Mario Brothers & Duck Hunt & Track

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt as many flaws.

And how does Genesect have similar body structure or similarities to either characters? And yes their personality is similar.

You don't accept anything that points out the slightest flaw in any character, usually by using excuses. That gets annoying.
I'm gonna cite, I think it was peeup who said this? and say that
"A desk lamp could be given a worthy smash bros. moveset. Doesn't mean it will happen but fighting capabilities really matter very little."
Essentially meaning: He has no flaws. It could happen. It's just unlikely.

Then I'm gonna point out how you ignored half of what both I and Arcanir said when diciding what to respond to...

He's a humanoid? That's similar. About as similar as Mewtwo and Lucario.
As arcanir said, Mewtwo is generally an antihero, while Lucario is an actual hero. (The one that can speak anyways.)

Point out a flaw in any character Mr.SaturnGamer. And if it's not true, I'll gladly disconfirm it while keeping a good distance away from excuses. Funny coming from you, who has nothing but excuses towards a lot of characters on your roster?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lucario and Mewtwo's personalities are nothing alike Noah.

Where did you get that idea?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't like the idea of Diddy and Dixie as a tag team.

I'd love it if DK got 4 reps and we got both Dixie (as one character) and K. Rool, but something tells me it's unlikely.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Duck Hunt Dog could work like an avatar to the off-screen Hunter. So being a background character, from a SSB perspective, would make HIM a character.

Not saying he's too likely, but I like the idea of DHD.

Just off the top of my head:

B: Zapper Blast
Dog gets into a hunting pose, then a crosshair appears on the screen. The player will move the joystick, and can shoot up to 3 shots. While the crosshair is on the screen, the Dog will be vulnerable to attack.

B Tilt: Pounce
This is a move exclusive to the Dog. He tackles and opponent, and it turns to a grab. (What he uses to grab ducks)

B Up: Ducks
This is the Dog's means of recovery. He will hold on to two ducks, allowing him 5 multiple jumps (if he has two ducks) or 3 multiple jumps (if he has one).
When the dog presses UP+B again, he will let go of the ducks, and they will fly rampant, causing light damage to anyone they fly through. They can be knocked out whenever they're on screen.

B Down: Clay Shooter
A clay disc will be launched from the "4th wall" and it will rise, only for then to rain vertically down on an opponent.
Works similarly to Ivysaur's Down+B from Project M, except it only damages when falling.

Brawl was too "recency focused", so I hope SSB4 is a bit more all-time focused.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Same here. I think that would take more development time than it's worth and it would lessen the separate identities of the two.
It might cause a bit of confusion for players who aren't that familiar with the Donkey Kong franchise.

The development time is something I wouldn't know about, but I definetely think Dixie is better off as her own character than with Diddy as another Zelda/Sheik type character.

And I really don't think she would be that similar to Diddy moveset-wise. If anything, she and Diddy would probably be comparable to Lucas and Ness. (I've just recently found out Lucas is less of a clone than Luigi)

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
(I've just recently found out Lucas is less of a clone than Luigi)
I wouldn't call either Lucas or Luigi clones at all. They just share a few specials and a few aerials and that's it. Unjustified "clone" complaints (example, Wolf being called a clone of Fox) generally get on my nerves.

*looks below* 14 users viewing. Geez, is this thread always this active?

Good afternoon all, how's everyone doing? What's the subject of the hour? :)
That would be the Duck Hunt Dog, although I posted about Dixie Kong in response to the top of this page.

Speaking of DHD, I don't think he'd be a very good choice, but he could have a very original moveset.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That would be the Duck Hunt Dog, although I posted about Dixie Kong in response to the top of this page.

Speaking of DHD, I don't think he'd be a very good choice, but he could have a very original moveset.
Oi Vey...Duck Hunt Dog...I don't understand why people even want the character. The only benefit of having said character in Smash Bros is the fact that we can beat the crap out of him for being such a pompous jerkoff in Duck Hunt. I mean seriously, he's one of the most hated Videogame characters for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom