• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Wow, NOBODY agrees with me on ANYTHING... I should have said it isn't CURRENTLY Sakurai or Nintendo's thing, right now. Doesn't mean it will never be so.
Aren't you supposed to be playing Mother 3? Anyway I do somewhat agree. I think we either get a small amount of DLC, NSMB2 for example, or none at all.

Reznor

work in progress
3DS has actually recovered significantly... can't say the same for the Wii U, though...
WiiU will recover there were 2 reasons it didn't get a good stat
almost no good WiiU games for like a year
casuals didn't know it was a new console

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Anyways, yeah, DLC won't be happening. It isn't Sakurai's thing, and it isn't Nintendo's either.
Fire Emblem: Awakening had ton of DLC. New Super Mario Brothers 2 also had a good amount of DLC for it too. Also, let's not forget about New Super Luigi U.
DLC is becoming something Nintendo is taking good use of, I think DLC is going to be happening. But whether it's going to include characters or not, that is something not worth discussing yet. It's just too big of a gray area right now.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
3DS and Wii U games say hi.

Nintendo has jumped on the DLC bandwagon recently.

It may not be Sakurai's thing but Nintendo is cool with it.
True, didn't they use it in the FE games? Anyway, I'm still not too sure they'll hold off characters for DLC. It'll be for characters like Dr. Mario and Roy. Other than that, maybe some past stages, but that's really it. In my opinion though.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
saying that DLC isnt Nintendo's "thing" is pretty inaccurate as they have been dabbling in it lately. Fire Emblem Awakening and Super Luigi U come to mind. however i highly doubt Sakurai would plan for DLC. if there is any DLC it would be stuff that either couldnt get into the game initially due to time constraints or something, or stuff that doesnt really matter all to much. (Think costumes, Stages and music)

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
It took the 3ds a bit over a year to take off. The Wii U currently hasn't even touched that point. 2014 will bring great things for the Wii U with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Monolith's Project X, SMT x FE, ( if it's still around) and the inevitable Zelda we'll see at E3 that'll blow our minds.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It took the 3ds a bit over a year to take off. The Wii U currently hasn't even touched that point. 2014 will bring great things for the Wii U with Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Monolith's Project X, SMT x FE, ( if it's still around) and the inevitable Zelda we'll see at E3 that'll blow our minds.
I thought it took off in November when 3D Land & Mario Kart 7 came out.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
I thought it took off in November when 3D Land & Mario Kart 7 came out.
The 3ds did not "take off' until late 2012 just about.(selling alot of copies and crushing the Vita) Its starting performance was rather poor, and Nintendo has to cut the price. We have the same situation with the Wii U although a price cut isn't necessary, it'll likely start a dominating performance in 2014, where more games are available. Although people ignore it, Xbone and PS4 will likely suffer the same fate. Console launches are hardly ever stellar.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
but who will be suicune
Hotfeet? :p

The 3ds did not "take off' until late 2012 just about.(selling alot of copies and crushing the Vita) Its starting performance was rather poor, and Nintendo has to cut the price. We have the same situation with the Wii U although a price cut isn't necessary, it'll likely start a dominating performance in 2014, where more games are available. Although people ignore it, Xbone and PS4 will likely suffer the same fate. Console launches are hardly ever stellar.
The 3DS also had other factors going for it, it had Monster Hunter and the Mario games come out for it within the year, the former is a huge seller in Japan and the Mario games sells no matter where it is. On top of that, with Pokémon (and Monster Hunter 4 for Japan) around the corner there's something to keep the 3DS around so it's bound to do well and stay that way, thus keeping interest in the handheld for 3rd parties and consumers. Also, the Vita... Yeah, Sony's just letting it die right now so 3DS almost completely has the handheld market to itself.

The Wii U has to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One (well now since Microsoft finally wised up), whether or not they flounder for a bit at their launch that's still the case and it doesn't have the Mario games to move its units yet and won't for a while. So right now it'll be floundering for a while until it picks itself up and even then it's not certain it'll rise above like the 3DS did.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah atm the Wii U has nothing substantial moving it. but even the announcement of games like Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, and Sonic Lost Worldhas boosted average consumers interest in the system. when we get closer to these games releases, that's when the sales will start up.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Hotfeet? :p

The 3DS also had other factors going for it, it had Monster Hunter, Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart come out for it within the year, the former is a huge seller in Japan and the Mario games sells no matter where it is. On top of that, with Pokémon (and Monster Hunter 4 for Japan) around the corner there's something to keep the 3DS around so it's bound to do well and stay that way, thus keeping interest in the handheld for 3rd parties and consumers. Also, the Vita... Yeah, Sony's just letting it die right now so 3DS almost completely has the handheld market to itself.

The Wii U has to compete with the PS4 and Xbox One (well now since Microsoft finally wised up), whether or not they flounder for a bit at their launch that's still the case and it doesn't have the Mario games to move its units yet and won't for a while. So right now it'll be floundering for a while until it picks itself up and even then it's not certain it'll rise above.
3d world is coming out this holiday, and Mario Kart in early 2014. I know it probably won't surpass the PS4, but I'm saying that the launches of next-gen consoles may not be so strong. Xbox barely had a market in Japan with and I can hardly imagine it now, but it's more geared towards americans anyway. It also has the same major problem the PS3 had at launch with its price, but releasing the less expensive models as they've planned may or may not help them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pikmin 3 even boosted sales in Japan by itself.

The Wii U just needs games. That's all. It will be fine once we get more games.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
yeah atm the Wii U has nothing substantial moving it. but even the announcement of games like Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, and Sonic Lost Worldhas boosted average consumers interest in the system. when we get closer to these games releases, that's when the sales will start up.
Pretty much, it just needs the games to get it moving.

3d world is coming out this holiday, and Mario Kart in early 2014. I know it probably won't surpass the PS4, but I'm saying that the launches of next-gen consoles may not be so strong. Xbox barely had a market in Japan with and I can hardly imagine it now, but it's more geared towards americans anyway. It also has the same major problem the PS3 had at launch with its price, but releasing the less expensive models as they've planned may or may not help them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying those games won't get the system moving, I'm just saying the 3DS had a different situation it was placed in compared to the Wii U and that's why it took off so well. The Wii U can get back on track with the Mario games but whether or not it can replicate that same success remains to be seen.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
The funny thing is that Suicune is my favorite of the legendary beasts, the most popular of the three, and the most competitive-used pokemon of the three. It's a great pokemon, what can I say?

Just wait until October, the release of Pokemon X/Y is going to make the sales of the handheld skyrocket even more, as nothing makes a handheld sell like Pokemon does. We might as well order a burial for the Vita, it's practically the N-Gage mk.II

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think the Wii U's sales will boost up due to Pikmin 3.

I think that's what drove a decent amount of people to buying it in the first place.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
All they need to do to basically boost the sales of the Wii U is not only the inevitable release of Smash Bros, but a console-based pokemon title like that of Colosseum and XD. Those games were very well-received, and although Battle Revolution was alright, it was more of a battle simulator like that of Pokemon Stadium than that of an actual successor to Colosseum/XD.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The thing about Wii U is that Nintendo keeps missing their chance to add important things. There's no in-game chat, no acheivements, no DVD, no parties. It's rivals have been doing this for 7 years. They say gameplay is most important which it is, but power, acheivements, and other online features affect that.

Personally Wii U isn't my favorite, But I'm excited for this years games. Anybody who hasn't played Zombi U doesn't know what they're missing. That was incredible.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
What are we talking about now? Consoles, or roster predictions? We should discuss roster predictions, not consoles. Anyways, I suggest talking about the upcoming announcement for this month, in regards to a either a veteran returning or a newcomer arriving. What does everybody think will happen?

How do I add signatures? Sorry for the double posting, by the way. It won't happen again. Seriously, though, can somebody help me with this? I swear, everybody treats me like ****, I'm sick and tired of it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How do I add signatures? Sorry for the double posting, by the way. It won't happen again. Seriously, though, can somebody help me with this? I swear, everybody treats me like ****, I'm sick and tired of it.
There should be a signature tag with the rest of your options. It's right under personal details.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Not too fond of this DivineDeity feller. Reminds me A LOT of how I felt about noah at first, except worse. I'm pretty sure any rivalry between him and Golden is no rivalry, especially if we're talking about a debate rivalry. lol Sorry I was absent fer a while guys. Did anybody explain yet that as long as VC exists, wether terrible or not, it's still part of Nintendo's history giving Harry a chance? Not that I think he's likely but this guy was saying "NO WAY JOSE THAT WAS A BAD SYSTEM" and saying it was never going to happen.

HOPE FOR CHARACTER UPDATE TODAY

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think we ALL want to see a character reveal soon.

But I need to get to bed soon. But I usually wake up at 4:00 AM, so I'll get to check it in the morning.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Something should happen within the next week or two ... Almost a month since Olimar got revealed.

My personal hope is for a newcomer, something along the lines of Little Mac or Palutena.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
All they need to do to basically boost the sales of the Wii U is not only the inevitable release of Smash Bros, but a console-based pokemon title like that of Colosseum and XD. Those games were very well-received, and although Battle Revolution was alright, it was more of a battle simulator like that of Pokemon Stadium than that of an actual successor to Colosseum/XD.
I'd love for a new Colosseum/XD successor, there's a lot that they can do with it.

My personal hope is for a newcomer, something along the lines of Little Mac or Palutena.
I could possibly see Little Mac though I think they'll hold off on more newcomers until later this year.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm just really unsure what Sakurai's stance is this time on revealing newcomers. Doubt it'll be like Brawl with him revealing Ike, Pokemon Trainer and Diddy within a month.

Little Mac is really the only one I expect soon since we already got his stage and it really does feel like they held off from announcing him in E3 for some reason.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Noah, props on being a normal and respectful Smashboarder as of late. Seems your old spot has been usurped by a certain someone.

Anyways, on topic. I'm curious what most people want to happen to Mewtwo. Are people wanting old Mewtwo with a little tweaking, a completely revamped Mewtwo, a Mewtwo that does or does not change forms, only the new form...what's everyone's thoughts for him?

Personally I'd prefer a tweaked old Melee Mewtwo, with a form change as a Final Smash. Makes the most sense to me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It struck me as VERY odd during the stream, to witness all these characters fighting in a boxing ring... yet, Nintendo's one and only BOXING CHAMPION, is nowhere to be seen.

At least Mega Man came soon after, because I was not exactly happy with Villager being the only character annonced. :( Wii Fit Trainer made me happier than Villager for some reason. (I partly blame Villager trying to take over TWO of my wishlist characters' moves, one of them being Balloon Fighter)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Anyways, on topic. I'm curious what most people want to happen to Mewtwo. Are people wanting old Mewtwo with a little tweaking, a completely revamped Mewtwo, a Mewtwo that does or does not change forms, only the new form...what's everyone's thoughts for him?

Personally I'd prefer a tweaked old Melee Mewtwo, with a form change as a Final Smash. Makes the most sense to me.
Well, footage of Extreme Speed Genesect shows Newtwo is more powerful and faster. In fact Newtwo only changes back to his original form when he is either defeated or done fighting. Due to this I come to the obvious conclusion that switching between them at will is pointless because you'd always want to be the awakened form and the form is limited anyway. I believe the awakened form is something you earn through battle or Final Smash and ends when you're KO'd.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Well, footage of Extreme Speed Genesect shows Newtwo is more powerful and faster. In fact Newtwo only changes back to his original form when he is either defeated or done fighting. Due to this I come to the obvious conclusion that switching between them at will is pointless because you'd always want to be the awakened form and the form is limited anyway. I believe the awakened form is something you earn through battle or Final Smash and ends when you're KO'd.

Well Smash has never been accurate on Pokemon characters anyway. I mean look at Mewtwo in Melee; light, weak, and none too quick. Unlike his actual game stats. But I do agree, it should be something earned or related to a Final Smash if it is a "powering up" so to speak. Maybe it works like Lucario a bit in Brawl? He becomes Awakened Form after he's taken a certain amount of damage and thus gets stronger as he racks up damage?

D

Deleted member

@Bajef:
That idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We don't need to give Sakurai any ideas that would compromise the co-existence of Mewtwo and Lucario, you know.
It's bad enough we see Mewtwo B using Aura Sphere in the movie....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom