• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Controversial decisions:
Who the F@#&K is Harry?
Ok first we need to learn a little bit of history, this character was from the game Teleroboxer that appear in 1995 for the Virtual Boy, the playstyle of it was like Punch Out!. The story is simple, Harry was created to fight against similar robots from around the world to become the champion (remember the movie Real Steel... yeah that one where Hugh Jackman controls a robot to box against other ones, well is the same story here instead of Atom is Harry and you are Hugh Jackman in the the game, sounds awesome, yeah, maybe... idk). So ok, you have explain the story and character but why choose to add him to the roster, it was a decision that I make seeing what Sakurai did with the previous games of the series, in SSB for N64 the obscure character from that game was Ness, for the SSBM for Gamecube it was Mr. Game & Watch and for SSBB for Wii it was ROB so seeing the pattern I get to the conclusion that the roster need a obscure character and at the same time make it like WTF who is it and from what console came, add that the only New IP from Nintendo for the Virtual Boy was this game, makes it one of the most strange and rare characters that can be included in the roster. Obviously this pick can be changed for personal preference some people will ask why don´t you change it for the Dog of Duck Hunt or maybe the Sheriff, I will say those choices are fine too.

Well this is for now, thanks for reading this and good luck.
.n_n.
Yeah, Harry... that's not happening. Not at all. If anything, Nintendo would not only want THEMSELVES to forget about the Virtual Boy, but would also want EVERYBODY ELSE to forget about Virtual Boy. So no, there is no way in Hell that Nintendo will want to represent a VIRTUAL BOY universe on a popular Nintendo series. And besides, Sakurai doesn't make WTF characters for no reason - Game and Watch, ROB, and even Wii Fit Trainer have all represented important cornerstones of Nintendo history. Harry, on the other hand, represents the most embarrassing commercial failures.

I'd personally stick with the Duck Hunt Dog, or more importantly the Sheriff.

TheDivineDeity

If you thought balancing all three of PKMN Trainer's Pokemon would be a nightmare, imagine all the Eveelutions (or even just 3)... Honestly, all that time should be better spent on other veterans or newcomers, rather than a niche choice of a character. Don't overload Sakurai's time spent on balancing rosters with the characters - PKMN Trainer is hard enough as it is.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Saying Eevee would make it without the eeveelutions is like suggesting Pikachu could be in without any electric-type moves.

It could be done, but it would mean stripping away from the character the thing that makes it iconic and defines it the most.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There is no way we could ever know what "overloads" Sakurai, or even how much of the time spent working on them is by him and him alone.

While I agree they shouldn't put so much emphasis on gimmicks, much less a single character (no matter how "unique" they may be), this is Sakurai.

TheDivineDeity

There is no way we could ever know what "overloads" Sakurai, or even how much of the time spent working on them is by him and him alone.

While I agree they shouldn't put so much emphasis on gimmicks, much less a single character (no matter how "unique" they may be), this is Sakurai.
Given his nerve condition, Sakurai only has so much time to test his own games.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Is that right? I remember there being a certain youtube video of yours that suggested you thought it would be very possible for their to be a second Yoshi rep in Baby Yoshi.
What makes Duck Hunt Dog, Gooey, and Layton NOT work?

Duck Hunt Dog is infamously known for his laugh and is from a relatively popular and well known NES Game. What's wrong with him being a retro character?

Gooey is the original player 2 that wasn't just Kirby. He was considered the next potential Kirby character before Waddle Dee made his playable appearance in Return to Dreamland (Gooey could also represent Dark Matter in some form too).

Layton is from an incredibly popular Nintendo Exclusive franchise. His creator has expressed interest in seeing Layton in crossover games and the supposed "Final Layton game" might not even be the final one in the series after all.

What makes these three characters impossible? They each have their own reasons to be included (Layton would just be tougher to get into the roster due to Third-Party Status).
First off, that wasn't a prediction video and I never suggested the possibility of Baby Yoshi, only how cool it would be. Gooey hasn't shown up since Dreamland 3 on Super Nintendo and we already have all the characters we need from Kirby. Even Waddle Dee is unlikely and works better as part of King Dedede.

Third-Parties aren't usually just well received games that appear recently on a Nintendo console. Sonic, Snake, Bomberman, and Pac-Man have all been around for ages and had more installments and impact on people. Having Prof. Layton seems kind of random. If you add him you could add any Nintendo Exclusive Third-Party that was well received. Why don't you add Chase McCain from Lego City: Undercover?

As for Duck Hunt Dog, it could work, but it's still unlikely and weird. I think he works better as a dud Assist Trophy. Nobody really suggested moves outside an NES Zapper and Ducks as a jump. Other than that it's just Dog toys, I think it's a pretty bizarre move set. I just don't see the priority of him being playable.

Also, WHY IS TOM NOOK EVERYWHERE! He missed his chance when Villager became playable, get over it.

TheDivineDeity

Saying Eevee would make it without the eeveelutions is like suggesting Pikachu could be in without any electric-type moves.

It could be done, but it would mean stripping away from the character the thing that makes it iconic and defines it the most.
Where did I say anything about even wanting Eevee in the game at all? You either have A) a non-evolved Eevee who is just LIMITED by its own lack of potential (now that it has been taken away), or B) you have an Eevee who can disregard the entire concept of Pokemon evolution and just constantly evolve and devolve between forms. That sounds pretty bad, in my humble opinion.

Also, WHY IS TOM NOOK EVERYWHERE! He missed his chance when Villager became playable, get over it.
I don't know about that just yet.. I mean, when Marth introduced his own series, he brought Roy with him. Who's to say Tom Nook won't be brought in as a clone? (Because let's face it, clones or semi-clones will always be a staple to Smash).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know about that just yet.. I mean, when Marth introduced his own series, he brought Roy with him. Who's to say Tom Nook won't be brought in as a clone? (Because let's face it, clones or semi-clones will always be a staple to Smash).
Are you serious?

• The avatar of the game is the playable character. If Sakurai was going to add an actual CHARACTER from the game he would have picked Tom Nook by himself.
  • Why on EARTH do you need a clone of Villager, his move set represents the entirety of the Animal Crossing game, that's like suggesting a semi-clone for Mr. Game & Watch.
  • Like I said his move sets are based around what you do in the game, not the character's abilities. So if he represents the ENTIRE game in just one move set why do you need
  • another?
  • Did you see Tom Nook get an invitation in the video, I sure as heck didn't.
  • If you want a clone character then I suggest Medusa.
Saying Eevee would make it without the eeveelutions is like suggesting Pikachu could be in without any electric-type moves. It could be done, but it would mean stripping away from the character the thing that makes it iconic and defines it the most.
That's why we should have Sylveon, we'd be representing Eevee with an evolution more distinct from the others. We'd also have a Gen 6 Fairy Pokemon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
WHY IS THE TOPIC ALWAYS POKEMON OR FIRE EMBLEM?!

(sigh!) I need to play more Pokemon games....and play Fire Emblem period.

Which is why if you can't beat em, you join em.
If you can't join em, you start playing more Fire Emblem like I am, and then join in, lol.

---

I wonder how long it would take me to convince every single person here that Sheriff WAS NOT the first Nintendo videogame ever created. XD
Character, perhaps, but if we're getting "Wii Fit Trainer, and Pokemon Trainer" then... "EVR RACE Jockey" won't sound too farfetched...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
New roster of mine.

I still have that gut feeling ROB is leaving, but meh.
I still have that cut feeling R.O.B. is leaving too, not that I want him too.

Also the only way I see Eevee getting in is if she replaces JigglyPuff, but even then the concept doesn't work. Mach Rider may be unlikely if we get Takamaru, Toon Zelda needs to go because that is completely unnecessary. 4 Third-Parties is too much and I still don't see Simon getting in over Bomberman. Like I said, replace Jiggly with Eevee because you have all Gen 1 Pokemon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To tell the truth.... I see it much more likely to get more than 1 new Retro character than 1 new Zelda, Mario, or FE character.

That's just what I think.

Mach Rider would be so great. :<
(Really have to update my sig. There are other deserving retros I rather see than Duck Hunt Dog)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Where did I say anything about even wanting Eevee in the game at all? You either have A) a non-evolved Eevee who is just LIMITED by its own lack of potential (now that it has been taken away), or B) you have an Eevee who can disregard the entire concept of Pokemon evolution and just constantly evolve and devolve between forms. That sounds pretty bad, in my humble opinion.
Don't worry, I wasn't responding to you =P

Was respoding to the people who defend Eevee by saying it could just be in the game without the eeveelutions.

TheDivineDeity

I still have that cut feeling R.O.B. is leaving too, not that I want him too.

Also the only way I see Eevee getting in is if she replaces JigglyPuff, but even then the concept doesn't work. Mach Rider may be unlikely if we get Takamaru, Toon Zelda needs to go because that is completely unnecessary. 4 Third-Parties is too much and I still don't see Simon getting in over Bomberman. Like I said, replace Jiggly with Eevee because you have all Gen 1 Pokemon.
UGH :urg: Bomberman AGAIN... let's face it, whether or not he's good enough to be in the game, it does not mean he has a likely chance of actually being in the game... And ROB's not getting cut, period. He's here to stay.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
UGH :urg: Bomberman AGAIN... let's face it, whether or not he's good enough to be in the game, it does not mean he has a likely chance of actually being in the game... And ROB's not getting cut, period. He's here to stay.
Why are you so sure he's coming back. And again there's nothing against Bomberman other than preference. And a lot of people want Bomberman.

I still feel that Meowth should get in before Eevee does.
I disagree, Eevee is more popular in Anime AND game. You'd be picking Meowth solely because of the Anime. Eevee is CLEARLY more deserving.

TheDivineDeity

Why are you so sure he's coming back. And again there's nothing against Bomberman.
Sakurai has YET to scrap an entire series from the game... I don't think ROB will be the scapegoat for this either. Besides, he fulfills the same role as Game and Watch - old-school, retro characters. I don't see ROB getting cut, because hey, they said the same thing about Game and Watch during Brawl. :smirk:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff can sport Fairy type moves without any extra complications. Not only is she a recurring veteran, but she's arguably more relevant than Eevee, and was much more popular to be included in the original roster.

Replacing her with Eevee is a decision I would question.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
First off, that wasn't a prediction video and I never suggested the possibility of Baby Yoshi, only how cool it would be. Gooey hasn't shown up since Dreamland 3 on Super Nintendo and we already have all the characters we need from Kirby. Even Waddle Dee is unlikely and works better as part of King Dedede.

Third-Parties aren't usually just well received games that appear recently on a Nintendo console. Sonic, Snake, Bomberman, and Pac-Man have all been around for ages and had more installments and impact on people. Having Prof. Layton seems kind of random. If you add him you could add any Nintendo Exclusive Third-Party that was well received. Why don't you add Chase McCain from Lego City: Undercover?

As for Duck Hunt Dog, it could work, but it's still unlikely and weird. I think he works better as a dud Assist Trophy. Nobody really suggested moves outside an NES Zapper and Ducks as a jump. Other than that it's just Dog toys, I think it's a pretty bizarre move set. I just don't see the priority of him being playable.

Let's not go off the deep end there bucko, I was just growing fond of you in a way.

No response to my Pac-man post? Also, Solid Snake has like no affiliation with Nintendo whatsoever, Layton has waaaay more. Snake got into smash bros. on a crazy precedent. If you don't like a character, just say so.

Also a lot of people support the idea of Tom Nook because of how sketchy his positioning in the intro trailer was, and how he looked at the invitation afterwards. Not much to go on but they aren't pulling anything out of their asses and it is certainly plausible.

Anywho, I saw harry the teleroboxer somewhere a little while back and loved that idea!!! Going on the idea that every game we get a WTF character or two, and a WTF retro character, he certainly fits. Mr. Game & Watch came first, representing game and watch, R.O.B came next, representing himself, and I could certainly see Harry getting in to represent Virtual boy, and it is by no means out of the realm of possibility. But then, Wii Fit Trainer may have been our only WTF icon for this game.

TheDivineDeity

Anywho, I saw harry the teleroboxer somewhere a little while back and loved that idea!!! Going on the idea that every game we get a WTF character or two, and a WTF retro character, he certainly fits. Mr. Game & Watch came first, representing game and watch, R.O.B came next, representing himself, and I could certainly see Harry getting in to represent Virtual boy, and it is by no means out of the realm of possibility. But then, Wii Fit Trainer may have been our only WTF icon for this game.
The Virtual Boy will NEVER be represented in any fashion or form ever again on any Nintendo system, console, or game. Why go back to such as disastrous commercial failure and celebrate it. The Wii U is already bad enough in sales as it is - don't rub salt in the wound by honoring an even worse example of financial destruction of console systems.

I've already mentioned several times, I feel R.O.B. MAY go because he might not be as prioritized as every other Brawl character. I never removed him from my roster once.
Source?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Let's not go off the deep end there bucko, I was just growing fond of you in a way.

No response to my Pac-man post? Also, Solid Snake has like no affiliation with Nintendo whatsoever, Layton has waaaay more. Snake got into smash bros. on a crazy precedent. If you don't like a character, just say so.

You didn't know about the Nintendo easter eggs in that Metal Gear game and that Snake has more installments on Nintendo consoles than Prof. Layton does?

As for Pac-Man post, just because you give someone a move set doesn't mean it's good. He seems to have the least move set potential of third-party characters.

TheDivineDeity

*Points to Sonic Generations*
Its still important to their history, failure or not.
The Atari Video Game Crash is also important to video game history... yet Nintendo chooses to celebrate ROB as the savior, not celebrating the crash itself. Meaning: Nintendo isn't going to go back to commercial failures of enormous embarrassment. Otherwise, why not celebrate the Zelda C-DI games then, huh? ;) Why not? They're also a part of history... Philips C-DI and Nintendo's tag teaming together paved the way for Sony's Playstation. :urg: Bottom line.. not going to happen. Not going to happen.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Also a lot of people support the idea of Tom Nook because of how sketchy his positioning in the intro trailer was, and how he looked at the invitation afterwards. Not much to go on but they aren't pulling anything out of their ***** and it is certainly plausible.
Do you not understand how incredicly pointless that is?

• The avatar of the game is the playable character. If Sakurai was going to add an actual CHARACTER from the game he would have picked Tom Nook by himself.
  • Why on EARTH do you need a clone of Villager, his move set represents the entirety of the Animal Crossing game, that's like suggesting a clone for Mr. Game & Watch. Why not pick the fire fighter and make him a playable clone???
  • Like I said his move sets are based around what you do in the game, not the character's abilities. So if he represents the ENTIRE game in just one move set why do you need
  • another?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There's one thing that Meowth has that Eevee will never have, at this point..

Meowth has been in TWO SSBs.
Just like Charizard was in both SSB64 and SSBM before becoming a full-fledged character.

So if there's another Gen 1 Pokemon getting in, you can bet your tail fur it's going to be Meowth, both for anime importance, and twice SSB pokeball-veteran status.

These are my arguments. In the end I'd gladly receive either Meowth or Eevee, but I just see Meowth a bit more likely.

EDIT: Oh sh... I just recalled SNORLAX has been in all 3 SSB games.... New PT Final Smash?:troll:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
The Virtual Boy will NEVER be represented in any fashion or form ever again on any Nintendo system, console, or game. Why go back to such as disastrous commercial failure and celebrate it. The Wii U is already bad enough in sales as it is - don't rub salt in the wound by honoring an even worse example of financial destruction of console systems.
Are you forgetting it's furniture in AC:NL? That basically crumbles your declaration that it will never be represented anywhere again because it wasn't a good system. That's complete blashemy...it's still a part of their history.

You didn't know about the Nintendo easter eggs in that Metal Gear game and that Snake has more installments on Nintendo consoles than Prof. Layton does?

As for Pac-Man post, just because you give someone a move set doesn't mean it's good. He seems to have the least move set potential of third-party characters.
Easter eggs mean pretty close to nothing and a lot of them happened post brawl anyways. And that really doesn't matter because Layton doesn't have a game on any other system. I think maybe iOS though? And for the Pac-man thing, did you even read my post? lol all you responded to was the point that was basically nil. If you don't know that Sakurai the Wizzard could make a moveset for Pac-man, who HAS moveset potential, when he did for R.O.B who had none.....then that's that.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
Are you serious?

• Why on EARTH do you need a clone of Villager, his move set represents the entirety of the Animal Crossing game, that's like suggesting a semi-clone for Mr. Game & Watch.
  • another?

That's why we should have Sylveon, we'd be representing Eevee with an evolution more distinct from the others. We'd also have a Gen 6 Fairy Pokemon.
Couldn't that just be :jigglypuff: ?

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
The Atari Video Game Crash is also important to video game history... yet Nintendo chooses to celebrate ROB as the savior, not celebrating the crash itself. Meaning: Nintendo isn't going to go back to commercial failures of enormous embarrassment. Otherwise, why not celebrate the Zelda C-DI games then, huh? ;) Why not? They're also a part of history... Philips C-DI and Nintendo's tag teaming together paved the way for Sony's Playstation. :urg: Bottom line.. not going to happen. Not going to happen.
First off, your example with Atari makes no sense. Who else would they choose? R.O.B still represents a disastrous era in gaming. Nintendo already references this "failure" in Brawl's chronicle, so its not like its being ignored. I'm not saying its likely or will happen at all, but to deny Harry's inclusion simply due to the fact that the Virtual Boy failed is not a good reason at all.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Partially, I won't deny that, but it isn't the only factor and is by no means a required gimmick for it like people claim it to be. I believe it is possible for the evolutions to be shown through color swaps instead if a evolution gimmick is to much and just give it moves that it's evolutions can learn and work perfectly fine.
It's not required but it is an important part of the character, Glaciacott said it best: evolving into all of those evolutions is what makes it so special and I don't think even using a couple moves for each Eeveelution would properly represent what the character is about.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
New roster of mine.

I still have that gut feeling ROB is leaving, but meh.
Hm...

Welp, here's nitpicking mode turned on.

- Does Mario really need a new representative?

- It's a miracle if Tink returns at ALL, let alone, bringing Tetra+Zelda with him.

- Enjoy your choice of Mach Rider, but it's all up in the air for him.

- Either Snake stays, or the roster is left without a Konami rep.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Do you not understand how incredicly pointless that is?

• Why on EARTH do you need a clone of Villager, his move set represents the entirety of the Animal Crossing game, that's like suggesting a clone for Mr. Game & Watch. Why not pick the fire fighter and make him a playable clone???
  • another?
My goodness you have no idea what you're saying.
1. You don't know that, at all.
2. Horrible comparison, laugable almost. And he wouldn't HAVE to be a clone anyways.
3. You don't, but again that doesn't matter. At all.
4. Of course not. lol
5. what

Maybe pointless, maybe stupid to you, certainly doesn't matter. completely plausible theory, it could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom