• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Is than an anime or a Manga? And even if it was the case of a new character being added, they'd most likely reflect the design/personality of the character from the videogame than the anime/manga.
Anime and separate game continuity (which is separate to each other as well; there are three different canons in F-Zero).

And given the Pokémon fanatic you are, it's rather strange you make such an argument.
Unless you can prove that Mewtwo in Melee was not given characterization and properties of movie 1 Mewtwo and the same for Lucario in Brawl with movie 8 Lucario.

Furthermore, C. Falcon is stoic and comically serious in the games.
.....Where at all does he seem like that in Smash? (And no, I'm not saying that's from the anime, as the anime came long AFTER Smash.)
That being said, we're unlikely to get gentlemanly Black Shadow from GX if he gets in Smash. We'll get something crazy and over the top to match Smash Falcon. Even if it resembles the anime characterization.
Doubly so, since it's allegedly been said that Norio Wakamoto is willing to reprise his role as B. Shadow should he be included in Smash.

I don't even know what Noah's been saying, so I'm not sure how much of a point he has with this, but in regards to Genesect, there is a major misconception that I'm seeing from a lot of people.

Sakurai, clear as day, gave process as to how he picks Pokémon.

Sakurai said:
Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.
So yes, having that movie really does help Genesect at this point. Being unique from the other Pokémon that have been playable thus far is also a positive.
Not a guarantee by any stretch, but shouldn't be outright ignored as a plausible option.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Unfortunately, anybody on SmashBoards will tell you the same thing about Krystal, Demise, and the addition of 3 F-Zero reps.
Not everyone, the ones that do are usually krystal haters or just say star fox doesnt deserve 4 reps or want wolf cut since they know nothing about star fox, demise isnt popular so yeah they wouldnt agree even though he is one of the most important characters to the entire franchise and for the fzero reps captain falcon has been a mainstay since the beginning the series deserves 2 new reps, his rival and his villian, getting 2 at once would be funky but kirby got away with it last time (but thats beside the point).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
F-Zero imo doesn't deserve jack **** for characters. There hasn't been a game in over 10 years, regardless of how long Falcon has been in Smash.

I don't care if Krystal gets in, as long as all three of the others stay, and several other characters get in before her.

Demise is important, but he is essentially just reincarnated as Ganon/ Ganondorf every game, so I think a Ganondorf with a hint of Demise in the design might be fitting.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
F-Zero imo doesn't deserve jack **** for characters. There hasn't been a game in over 10 years, regardless of how long Falcon has been in Smash.

I don't care if Krystal gets in, as long as all three of the others stay, and several other characters get in before her.

Demise is important, but he is essentially just reincarnated as Ganon/ Ganondorf every game, so I think a Ganondorf with a hint of Demise in the design might be fitting.
I just like a franchises main characters fully represented even if they are a small franchise, samurai goroh and black shadow would complete the f zero reps forever (kinda like how the kirby's reps are probably finished and how porky would finish the earthbound reps.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just like a franchises main characters fully represented even if they are a small franchise, samurai goroh and black shadow would complete the f zero reps forever (kinda like how the kirby's reps are probably finished and how porky would finish the earthbound reps.)
That makes sense. Honestly, I don't care who gets in once characters such as Ridley, K.Rool, or Shulk get revealed. Other than that, whatever characters get in, i'll be happy.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
C. Falcon has overtime become his own retro series rep. Crazy how that happened. But no like other retros, he's good by himself.
Krystal doesn't need to be in.....It's great with the trio until the series gets some more games.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So yes, having that movie really does help Genesect at this point. Being unique from the other Pokémon that have been playable thus far is also a positive.
Not a guarantee by any stretch, but shouldn't be outright ignored as a plausible option.
I never said it didn't help, I just said it's not enough on its own (Pokémon like Deoxys can attest to that). Also, Mewtwo and Lucario got a kickstart out the door with their movies in terms of popularity, Genesect doesn't reach that popularity even with his previous fanbase (at least not yet) and is in contention with Mewtwo who's sharing the role and is much more wanted by the fanbase. It's entirely within the realm of possibility that Genesect gets overlooked for his counterpart as far as the movie, it can get in with Mewtwo but at least as far as the first slot is concerned, Mewtwo has more going for him (or her in terms of that movie) then Genesect does.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People think Genesect is becoming the new Lucario?

Yeah.... No.

If anything, it's Mewtwo/Newtwo.

Newtwo is following the Lucario/Zoroark criteria MUCH better than Genesect is.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I don't really understand how the movie is supposed to help Genesect. It also stars his competition for getting into Smash. It's kinda this big deal Pokemon by the name of Mewtwo. Who now has 2 movies, massive popularity, and a previous appearance in Smash. Genesect really only has the movie going for him right now, which isn't much seeing as it came out in Japan on the 13th, whereas Smash 4 has been under development for awhile now.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
The one other thing, we should all remember, is that Genesect will no longer be the most recent news when Pokemon X&Y are out. As hard as it is to believe, Generation 6 is going live in less than 3 months. We'll be well under the way of everything Kalos has to offer. Meanwhile, Smash Bros. is going to be out next year... Why would they add Genesect, exactly, when Mewtwo is both already popular, already a veteran, and the flavor of the month?

Furthermore, if the movies, Genesect's current highpoint, really mattered as much as they do, why haven't we gotten Meowth, the second most recurrent Pokemon in the animel? He was revealed as a Pokeball Pokemon relatively early in Brawl. Surely if the non-video game Pokemon merchandise had any value to Sakurai, we would have gotten someone actually related to the anime. It's why we got Red rather than Ash, despite the latter being much more well known.

So knowing that, let's completely ignore the show/movies for a moment... What does Genesect have that warrants him being in a Smash Bros. game a full generation after his debut?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
The one other thing, we should all remember, is that Genesect will no longer be the most recent news when Pokemon X&Y are out. As hard as it is to believe, Generation 6 is going live in less than 3 months. We'll be well under the way of everything Kalos has to offer. Meanwhile, Smash Bros. is going to be out next year... Why would they add Genesect, exactly, when Mewtwo is both already popular, already a veteran, and the flavor of the month?

Furthermore, if the movies, Genesect's current highpoint, really mattered as much as they do, why haven't we gotten Meowth, the second most recurrent Pokemon in the animel? He was revealed as a Pokeball Pokemon relatively early in Brawl. Surely if the non-video game Pokemon merchandise had any value to Sakurai, we would have gotten someone actually related to the anime. It's why we got Red rather than Ash, despite the latter being much more well known.

So knowing that, let's completely ignore the show/movies for a moment... What does Genesect have that warrants him being in a Smash Bros. game a full generation after his debut?

Thanks for reiterating my points haha. However, the reason we got Red over Ash is because Ash does not originate from a video game. Sure Ash's creation is based off of Red, but Ash himself isn't a video game character (unless you wanna argue he was featured in Yellow in a way).

The anime and movies highly affect the Pokemon series' representation in Smash. After all, they have their anime counterparts cries and voices.
It's difficult to separate Pokemon from games and anime/manga when they are as interwoven as they are. Therefore we shouldn't separate them too much when speculating their chances, especially in regards to popularity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There was this one rumor around that originally, Sakurai wanted Mewtwo instead of Jigglypuff, but GameFreak treathened to let Sakurai remove all Pokémon content from Smash if he didn't have the Puff in,

I don't really know whats to gain by cutting Jigglypuff really. But it could be done. She's pretty easy to program, but probably not 100% neccecary.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There was this one rumor around that originally, Sakurai wanted Mewtwo instead of Jigglypuff, but GameFreak treathened to let Sakurai remove all Pokémon content from Smash if he didn't have the Puff in,

I don't really know whats to gain by cutting Jigglypuff really. But it could be done. She's pretty easy to program, but probably not 100% neccecary.
Do you have a source for that?

Also, if Sakurai is revamping the veteran characters like Bowser and Pit have been, then Jigglypuff will be as easy or as hard to program as any other character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do you have a source for that?

Also, if Sakurai is revamping the veteran characters like Bowser and Pit have been, then Jigglypuff will be as easy or as hard to program as any other character.
He's not revamping everyone though.

Link and Fox, for example.

CalumG

Smash Lord
He's not revamping everyone though.

Link and Fox, for example.
But Sakurai makes the implication in many of his interviews that each character more-or-less gets rebuilt from the ground up with each new installment - he doesn't just port them over and make tweaks.

Which is why, incidentally, I felt as if Jiggly was a 'low-priority' character in Brawl - s/he was one of the few veterans who genuinely felt like they'd been ported from Melee to Brawl and had a few minute changes made, rather than feeling as if they had been remade from scratch, as was the case with a majority of the returning veterans.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
But Sakurai makes the implication in many of his interviews that each character more-or-less gets rebuilt from the ground up with each new installment - he doesn't just port them over and make tweaks.

Which is why, incidentally, I felt as if Jiggly was a 'low-priority' character in Brawl - s/he was one of the few veterans who genuinely felt like they'd been ported from Melee to Brawl and had a few minute changes made, rather than feeling as if they had been remade from scratch, as was the case with a majority of the returning veterans.

Sakurai never said that, as far as I know. From the ground up? That's a lot of work to do. Plus his first statement was that this game was being built using BRAWL as a starting ground, therefore everyone gets ported first, tweaked later.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Point taken.

Though I haven't seen any real changes in Link and Fox except for the higher poly-models. Whatever...

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Point taken.

Though I haven't seen any real changes in Link and Fox except for the higher poly-models. Whatever...
Well obviously we haven't gotten to play them so even if their moveset is virtually the same it's likely the moves and attributes will be tweaked a bit :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
Sakurai never said that, as far as I know. From the ground up? That's a lot of work to do. Plus his first statement was that this game was being built using BRAWL as a starting ground, therefore everyone gets ported first, tweaked later.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

The Smash Bros. developer takes the same care and considerations when redesigning returning characters, like Mario, Donkey Kong and Samus Aran from Metroid. They start from scratch with every character, Sakurai said, first determining how those characters should be graphically represented on new hardware. How characters look, in terms of color, precision and resolution, must be considered before they're designed.
There's more interviews - I'm currently hunting down another one where Sakurai describes the process of how Samus's current look and feel came to be, and how he actively considers every little part of that character, rather than just re-using elements of the character because that's how they were in the previous Smash. Watch this space.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, I was thinking... maybe I might be wrong about Sakurai porting everyone first, otherwise every Brawl character would be confirmed already.

.. But I still think he ports over ONE character first, tweaks it, then moves to the next. And the process repeats itself until they're done with the roster.

EDIT: Ninja'pwn'd

Seems like a very unproductive way of handling the character roster... but at least this guarantees the game will feel fresher than ever. :O

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
So, which characters do you all think is the most likely to be revamped moveset-wise?
Jiggs could possibly be revamped to get some fairy type moves
Toon Link could hopefully be de-cloned a bit
Ganondorf will hopefully continue his journey of separating himself from captain falcon etc etc

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I wouldnt call mewtwo flavor of the month, he is extremely iconic and is known as the ultimate boss pokemon from the very first game.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
So, which characters do you all think is the most likely to be revamped moveset-wise?
moveset wise i'd hope Ganandorf, Falco, and Lucario for sure. but then i could see room for changing a couple things on other characters like say Luigi, Lucas or Peach. and if Sonic comes back then he should def get a new moveset

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Not everyone, the ones that do are usually krystal haters or just say star fox doesnt deserve 4 reps or want wolf cut since they know nothing about star fox, demise isnt popular so yeah they wouldnt agree even though he is one of the most important characters to the entire franchise and for the fzero reps captain falcon has been a mainstay since the beginning the series deserves 2 new reps, his rival and his villian, getting 2 at once would be funky but kirby got away with it last time (but thats beside the point).
Being important to the timeline doesn't make you important to the series at all. Barely anybody even knows who Demise is or even cares about him at all. I didn't even know he existed until HotFeet posted a roster with him. I don't even know if he has a support thread.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon all, how's everyone doing today? What's our topic of the hour? But before that...I have these...

Just a group of Pokemon characters, including Genesect, Eevee, Johto Pokemon Trainer and Spiky Eared Pichu (DLC). Enjoy. :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf, Falco and/or Wolf, and possibly Meta Knight and Luigi.
What's wrong with Luigi? Nothing that's what.
Good afternoon all, how's everyone doing today? What's our topic of the hour? But before that...I have these...

Just a group of Pokemon characters, including Genesect, Eevee, Johto Pokemon Trainer and Spiky Eared Pichu (DLC). Enjoy. :p
GENESECT **** YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Spiky hair Pichu!!!!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
The spiky eared pichu and eevee's furs are a bit exaggerated but otherwise they're good as usual XD

CalumG

Smash Lord
Demise could have a chance... in a sense. Remove Ganondorf, replace him with a character called The Demon King and have the character be an amalgamation of features shared by Demise, Ganondorf and Malladus. After all, Ganondorf isn't the main villain of Zelda - The Demon King is, in his many different forms. Demise fans are happy, Ganondorf fans are happy, people like me who masturbate over the Zelda timeline are happy... everybody wins, right?

Except maybe people who liked playing as Clonedorf, but screw them. :p

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I should've added Noah to my ignore list.
Oh, no! Someone disagrees with you, better put them on ignore immediately.

Nothing was wrong with Melee Mario, yet he got the FLUDD.

I'm expecting Luigi to get the poltergust and the flutter jump in his moveset.
Oh, well that's fine then. But I personally thinK both Mario & Luigi should have their Galaxy spin, FLUDD is a piece of a crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom