• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
It should happen, It won't happen.

Earthbound is perfect, 3 characters for a 3 game series is ridiculous.

Edit: @ Noah's post above mine:
That is just pathetic. Related but kindof not: Can somebody tell noah to check out the OP of the Pacman thread? I think he'd cry

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, we all know. Somebody mentions it everytime. This doesn't mean they're exactly the same, but they're a bit similar. And shouldn't your defense be that Takamaru could use Shurikens, stealth, and mystical samurai powers, instead of different sword wielding directions or speed? Different direction and speed is the kind of stuff given to clones. And what specialties does Goroh have besides his sword that would differ him from Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Takamaru? What I'm saying is it's kind of senseless to have a both in the same way it'd be senseless to have Zoroark with Lucario.

Calling bull on this. Goroh and Takamaru have much different swordplay. While Takamaru has a more precise and refined style, along with numerous projectiles, Goroh has a more hack-and-slash reckless style.
Look at the bolded.

And Goroh's main advantage is the fact that he's almost a blank slate, but with actual things to base the slate on, seeing as he's no stranger to combat. Similar to how Captain Falcon got fire powers, Goroh could use either fire or electric powers (seeing as he pilots the Fire Stingray, which could imply either), or a combination of both.

And I never used "direction and speed" as the reason for the differences. I'm saying it's a different sword style all together. It's like comparing Link's and Marth's swordplay. It is by no means "senseless" to have both.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Look at the bolded.

And Goroh's main advantage is the fact that he's almost a blank slate, but with actual things to base the slate on, seeing as he's no stranger to combat. Similar to how Captain Falcon got fire powers, Goroh could use either fire or electric powers (seeing as he pilots the Fire Stingray, which could imply either), or a combination of both.

And I never used "direction and speed" as the reason for the differences. I'm saying it's a different sword style all together. It's like comparing Link's and Marth's swordplay. It is by no means "senseless" to have both.
It's not like comparing Link and Marth's swordplay. And can't Takamaru have fire powers?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's not like comparing Link and Marth's swordplay. And can't Takamaru have fire powers?
Yes it is. Both use a European-styled sword, but use them in various different ways. It's the same situation here. And yes, Takamaru can throw fireballs.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
That's exactly what it's like. Takamaru is finess, Goroh is power.
With that you could say that if Ganondorf was given his sword, he'd be an Ike clone, which doesn't have to be true.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Id like to add starfy to my list but I dont think he will get in tbh, I feel there are others who just take priority over him imo.
Starfy is an All-Star (no pun intended) with great move set potential as well as 3 GBA titles, a 4th on DS, and 5th Western release on DS. Seems more likely than Issac.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
It should happen, It won't happen.

Earthbound is perfect, 3 characters for a 3 game series is ridiculous.

Edit: @ Noah's post above mine:
That is just pathetic. Related but kindof not: Can somebody tell noah to check out the OP of the Pacman thread? I think he'd cry
Ridiculous or perfect?

Although I kinda dislike how people usually recommend pokemon based on media popularity. It'd be great to get a competitively popular pokemon in for once, like Scrafty

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Having strategies for high tiers=/=being high tier :p I could use ****ing luvdisc in ubers, does that mean I SHOULD? XD
Shell Smash my friend. It isn't there just because there are strategies. It has legitimate attributes. Omastar could easily sweep with SS + STAB Hydropump, and imagine its potential on a rain team. Can't say the same for Luvdisc, aside from a speed boost anyway.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Shell Smash my friend. It isn't there just because there are strategies. It has legitimate attributes. Omastar could easily sweep with SS + STAB Hydropump, and imagine its potential on a rain team. Can't say the same for Luvdisc.
OK admittedly Luvdisc was not a good example and I am aware of Omastar's prowess but in spite of his good attributes he has enough shortcomings that he isn't even overpowered in RU :p

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm actually giving it all the credit it deserves. Also Sakurai never said anything about adding the mascot of a generation. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Company told him to include Genesect, because that's currently the character they are pushing. I think you are greatly underestimating Genesect's popularity. And a lot of us would like to see a new Pokemon instead of just veterans, even Sakurai would probably feel that he's not giving Pokemon a lot of love by just bringing back a Melee Veteran.
Sakurai knows that the MAJORITY of fans would pleased with Mewtwo returning alone.
He knows it's what we want, so why would he feel like he's not giving the franchise enough love?
Genesect is being pushed through Anime, Merchandise, special game character, movie, and he's the arceus of Gen 5 like you said as well as beloved to many fans. You don't need a poll to know that unless you've completely ignored it. I'm certain he's going to be playable somehow. If you think the movie is why Genesect is popular more research should be done. No offense, but that's underestimating him.
>Pushed in the Anime
No it hasn't. One appearance to hint at a movie is not being "pushed".
>Merch
Like every OTHER Pokemon that's had it's own movie.*
>Special game character
Like every OTHER Special Event Pokemon
>Movie
* Read Merch

I mentioned him being the Arceus of Gen 5 because he was only really talked about and popular for one main reason. Because he wasn't officially announced until much later in Gen 4's lifespan, very similar to Genesect's case.

Kind of like how Lucario was in the movie and he was the mascot of Gen 4?
Lucario
- First Pokemon revealed for Generation 4.
- The first non-legendary Pokemon to have received a Movie (Unless you're counting Mew)
- Was a marketing success.
- Replaced it's initial replacement Zoroark in Pokemon Smash as the mascot of the show.
- A Lucario belonging to one of Ash's rivals / friends recently defeated Ash in the Unova Pokemon League.
- Was playable in Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Which in itself adds a whole lot more fan support for a character, especially a Pokemon).
- Still being used to advertise Pokemon games two generations after it's creation.

Genesect
- Last Pokemon revealed for Generation 5 (It was an event Pokemon, these normally get a lot of discussion surrounding them because of the fact that they yet have been officially announced by Gamefreak).
- Currently has a movie out (With Mewtwo in it, who would receive major priority over Genesect and Lucario).
- Appeared in the anime as a to hint at the movie.
- Currently being heavily advertised for the movie.
- A Legendary Pokemon.
Let's talk about Mimgrim's idea to have a multi-gen Pokemon Trainer, should that happen? Or more so: Will it happen?

After that let's talk about Porkey.
It's interesting.

Porky would be the person I'd advocate to be the next Mother / Earthbound character, especially if he's in the Spider Mech.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
OK admittedly Luvdisc was not a good example and I am aware of Omastar's prowess but in spite of his good attributes he has enough shortcomings that he isn't even overpowered in RU :p
These shortcomings however, are almost completely nullfied by shell smash, which boosts attack sp. attack and speed by two stages, at the cost of lowering defense and sp. defense, the former Omastar already has a high base stat for. This move can pretty much turn pokemon like Cloyster into OU sweepers. Not saying its the best, but it was banned from the RU anyway lol
EDIT: Just correcting myself, It wasn't banned, only pokemon with Shell Smash and Baton Pass in their movesets were.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pokemon isn't as predictable as people think it is. I mean if someone like JigglyPuff is prioritized over Mewtwo, and someone like Mewtwo didn't even return. I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see Genesect over Lucario, (though it would make more sense to have him over JigglyPuff.)

I haven't seen any polls that show more people just want veterans as the Pokemon roster. Obviously there are polls for Mewtwo, but it's a poll for Mewtwo not the whole roster.

I honestly think Pokemon would want Sakurai to include Genesect.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I do wonder why Jigglypuff is apparently this safe haven character that is 100% guaranteed to show up.
90% as far as I'm concerned. Frankly Sakurai isn't going to deliberately try to cut any characters and Jigglypuff isn't this large effort kind of character so in my eyes low priority but likely to stay regardless

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I do wonder why Jigglypuff is apparently this safe haven character that is 100% guaranteed to show up.
Being a smash rep shouldn't be credited to your reasons of staying. It also shouldn't be your reason for being more popular than someone else. It's like "Dur, I got an idea to get rich, first we need a lot of money!" And you can't just pick which patterns are eternally consistent and which ones are not.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
It isn't, but it certainly isn't the"most likely cut" as alot people seem to think it is, that and people usually go by the standard that Original 12 will not be cut, granted it has almost happened before, but never in actuality.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai knows that the MAJORITY of fans would pleased with Mewtwo returning alone.
He knows it's what we want, so why would he feel like he's not giving the franchise enough love? That's not what all the fans want.

>Pushed in the Anime
No it hasn't. One appearance to hint at a movie is not being "pushed".
>Merch
Like every OTHER Pokemon that's had it's own movie.*
>Special game character
Like every OTHER Special Event Pokemon
>Movie
* Read Merch

I mentioned him being the Arceus of Gen 5 because he was only really talked about and popular for one main reason. Because he wasn't officially announced until much later in Gen 4's lifespan, very similar to Genesect's case.

Lucario
- First Pokemon revealed for Generation 4. So Lucario wasn't popular for being Lucario, it was just what time he was announced.
- The first non-legendary Pokemon to have received a Movie (Unless you're counting Mew) That's not why he became popular. People didn't start liking Lucario because he's NOT a legendary.
- Was a marketing success. You know Extreme Speed Genesect came out in Japan 16 days ago.
- Replaced it's initial replacement Zoroark in Pokemon Smash as the mascot of the show. That's a reason not to have Zoroark......
- A Lucario belonging to one of Ash's rivals / friends recently defeated Ash in the Unova Pokemon League.
- Was playable in Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Which in itself adds a whole lot more fan support for a character, especially a Pokemon). That would make any character popular, if Genesect were in SSB4 he'd be INSANELY popular, this works for a lot of characters.
- Still being used to advertise Pokemon games two generations after it's creation. So are a lot of Pokemon.

Genesect
- Last Pokemon revealed for Generation 5 (It was an event Pokemon, these normally get a lot of discussion surrounding them because of the fact that they yet have been officially announced by Gamefreak). When did the date Pokemon are revealed affect their amount of fans and popularity?
- Currently has a movie out (With Mewtwo in it, who would receive major priority over Genesect and Lucario). If he has priority over Lucario, I guess nobody would mind if we just have Genesect and Mewtwo. Except me sort of, but after being filled in on Genesect I think he's cooler now. By preference for me it's Genesect, Lucario, then Mewtwo.
- Appeared in the anime as a to hint at the movie. So isn't that a good thing? Also he's the star of the movie.
- Currently being heavily advertised for the movie. That's a good thing.
- A Legendary Pokemon. Oh, he IS legendary. Cool!
You can't just say something attributed to Lucario's popularity and then say the exact same situation doesn't or won't attribute to someone else's popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Company would have told Sakurai to add Genesect as a playable character. And I don't know why he wouldn't see a lot of potential in it.

To conclude, Pokemon is a little unpredictable, JigglyPuff was prioritzed over Mewtwo, and Mewtwo one of the most popular wasn't in Brawl at all. Genesect has a lot of potential and reasons to be a smash character.

It isn't, but it certainly isn't the"most likely cut" as alot people seem to think it is, that and people usually go by the standard that Original 12 will not be cut, granted it has almost happened before, but never in actuality.
We've never had all veteran Pokemon before either :troll:

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
To conclude, Pokemon is a little unpredictable, JigglyPuff was prioritzed over Mewtwo, and Mewtwo one of the most popular wasn't in Brawl at all. Genesect has a lot of potential and reasons to be a smash character.
There goes your pesky Genesect love again. You're creeping me out. :eek:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
There goes your pesky Genesect love again. You're creeping me out. :eek:
I didn't even start liking him until after added him, it's completely uninfluential to his addition. Genesect could be my most hated Pokemon that doesn't change how likely he is.

Idk if he has the popularity though, idk I want him in but I might have to take out paper mario (which im ok with getting him later) or shulk.
As dumb as it sounds, in a way he probably surpasses Shulk's chances. And combining popularity with NA & Japan I'm pretty sure its bigger than Golden Sun's. Japan needs to be taken into consideration as it's the homeland to these characters and Nintendo. (This applies for Lucas too)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As dumb as it sounds, in a way he probably surpasses Shulk's chances. And combining popularity with NA & Japan I'm pretty sure its bigger than Golden Sun's. Japan needs to be taken into consideration as it's the homeland to these characters and Nintendo. (This applies for Lucas too)
In Japan, it's something along the lines of Shulk >>>> Starfy > Isaac.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Idk if he has the popularity though, idk I want him in but I might have to take out paper mario (which im ok with getting him later) or shulk.
So take out Krystal, Demise, Saki, or one of your F-Zero reps. You've got a huge list of people that don't come before Starfy and Paper Mario and don't even need to be in the game at all. When were any of these people more important than Shulk and Paper Mario.

Gune

Smash Lord
You can't just say something attributed to Lucario's popularity and then say the exact same situation doesn't or won't attribute to someone else's popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Company would have told Sakurai to add Genesect as a playable character. And I don't know why he wouldn't see a lot of potential in it.

:troll:
The fact that your comparing Genesect to Lucario is the problem here your takeing these movie promo's like they autimatically make Genesect on the level that Lucario was, You keep acting Like one movie with promo's is autimatically a ticket to smash and guess what? Its not It's far from it, at this point Genesect hasnt reached the popularity or Hype of Lucario had when his movie was announced All that hype and Popularity is mostly going into Mewtwo because of the fact he has a brand new forme which represents whats to come from gen 6. Now other than the movie does he have anything to warrant his inclusion for smash? No. No he doesent. Im not debunking him but it is true you are giving him more credit than he deserves.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The fact that your comparing Genesect is the problem here your takeing these movie promo's like they autimatically make Genesect on the level that Lucario was, You keep acting Like one movie with promo's is autimatically a ticket to smash and guess what? Its not It's far from it, at this point Genesect hasnt reached the popularity or Hype of Lucario had when his movie was announced All that hype and Popularity is mostly going into Mewtwo because of the fact he has a brand new forme which represents whats to come from gen 6. Now other than the movie does he have anything to warrant his inclusion for smash? No. No he doesent. Im not debunking him but it is true you are giving him more credit than he deserves.
Saying the movie is his only reason is incredibly biased. And don't act like that's the only reason I've given. If you say he has nothing else to warrant his inclusion you underestimate him more than you claim I overestimate him. And again characters like JigglyPuff were prioritized over Mewtwo. I mean honestly you just declared on your own that he has literally nothing about him besides the movie.

Maybe he could fill in for JigglyPuff, or maybe Mewtwo will be the reason Lucario doesn't make it to the end.

And let's say there has to be a Pokemon that's not a veteran, who is your choice?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
So take out Krystal, Demise, Saki, or one of your F-Zero reps. You've got a huge list of people that don't come before Starfy and Paper Mario and don't even need to be in the game at all. When were any of these people more important than Shulk and Paper Mario.
A lot of those are just your opinion, I have reasons for all of those characters you mention. Id probably take out shulk since he has only one game that way he could have time to earn his spot, (already did in my roster).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom