• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yes, for better, more deserving characters.
Yes, Falco: probably the most beloved StarFox Character is NOT deserving. Ganondorf: The main villian of the freaking game is not deserving. Representing a 2nd Link, when there are several versions of Link is NOT deserving when Sakurai clearly has done it in the last 2 installments and can easily change the move set.

Flavor of the month character, a simple way to say he's only somewhat important for a certain period of time. I don't see why saying he's not as important any more by any means and pokemon is an ever growing franchise which sometimes means you need to give some guys the boot in their place. Your argument against my argument unless I'm reading it wrong you're basically saying Lucario leaving due to being a flavor of the month character makes no sense because a flavor of the month character will take his place. Do you not understand what that means? It basically means Lucario will be replaced by pokemon people will stop caring about in a year because that's how it goes. The flavor of october gets replaced by the flavor of november I don't think that argument holds any ground.
Poke'mon is an exception. There's always new Poke'mon and Sakurai says he asks the company what the Hot Pok'emon is at the time when he decides.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Meh if the clone is a last minute addition they really aren't getting in the way of any "Better" or "More deserving" characters really as those "Better" and "More deserving" characters are high priority anyway. I do understand if it's one that gets included in the middle of development though, but those are usually semi-clones.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'm disappointed you think that's the only reason for Jiggs. And I'm talking about Wolf's Special Moves, not Smash Attacks.
Jiggs is just not relevant or important enough to Pokemon anymore. If she makes Smash 4, it's because she's classic and relevant to Smash; that's it. Heck, she barely even made the Brawl train. It's an unfortunate truth.

Falco and Toon Link aren't deserving characters? Seriously? May as well cut Ganondorf with that logic, seeing as he's a clone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Why do you always type it like this? There's no apostrophe in the word Pokemon. If you're trying to go the extra mile and put the é. Typing "Poke'mon" as opposed to Pokemon or Pokémon is just stupid.

Gune

Smash Lord
Flavor of the month character, a simple way to say he's only somewhat important for a certain period of time. I don't see why saying he's not as important any more by any means and pokemon is an ever growing franchise which sometimes means you need to give some guys the boot in their place. Your argument against my argument unless I'm reading it wrong you're basically saying Lucario leaving due to being a flavor of the month character makes no sense because a flavor of the month character will take his place. Do you not understand what that means? It basically means Lucario will be replaced by pokemon people will stop caring about in a year because that's how it goes. The flavor of october gets replaced by the flavor of november I don't think that argument holds any ground.
Definition of Flavor of the month: A person or subject that is current but temporaily popular. To my knowledge Lucario is still important to gamefreak and still very popular so this he's the most likely because hes flavor of the month is doesent make sense.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Did I really just see someone type that Shiek is likely to get cut? Dude what are you smoking!? o_O Whatever it is I suggest you get rid of it as it seems to have spouting BS.

Falco has a really slight chance of being cut and unfourtantly Wolf has a bigger chance then Falco of being cut even though I would prefer Wolf to stay. Falco has 2 time vet status, possibly equal or more popularity with/than Wolf, and kinda fits the "sidekick" role which seem to get in over the villain role.

As for the whole Ness or Lucas thing. Lucas has the bigger chance of being cut. Ness is a 3 time vet, is the only Mother/Earthbound character to be released internationaly, is getting a remake on the VC soon, and is possibly the most popular of the protags of the Morth series due to his apperance in Smash and all that.

Lucario has good chances of being cut though not as quite as a few others I would say. He just seems like one of those flavor of the month type characters.

Snake seems 50/50. It just depends really on whether or not Kojima wants wants Snake in Smash again and if Sakurai is willing to put him in again. Snake could have easily been a pne time character as there are more deserving 3rd parties out there, even from Konami.

Sonic has slightly better chances then Snake imo due to Sega and Nintendo being BFFs atm and the whole Mario VS Sonic VS Megaman will get them ALLOT of money honey.

TL seems like another 50/50 to me.

Jiggs will most likely be low priority but low priority =/= cut. She's got very good chances to stay in.

Ike seems like he will have good chances to stay, but he's got potiental to get ut as he could have been a flavor of the month character.

And then the one character no one mentioned. ROB. I dunno I just have a feeling that he was a one time character for some reason. :/

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Popular for a certain period of time? Uh...you might wanna look at it again. Diamond and Pearl came out in '06 (Japan)/'07 (elsewhere) and Lucario's popularity is still going strong. He may not be as popular as Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo, but he still holds his ground and is advertised heavily in the recent generations along with the anime and games. Even Black and White 2 made it possible to get a Lucario before the first gym.

If someone should get the boot, it's Pokemon Trainer for the most part. If not, then just replace Squirtle and Ivysaur with Totodile and Grovyle to have three different generations all at once with PT. As much as I don't want to see Jigglypuff, she's a veteran and is an original 12 so she's pretty much staying along with Pikachu.

Lol at you thinking I don't know what it means. Yes, I see people posting that he was a "flavor of the month" due to him being recent or replacing Mewtwo which the latter makes no sense as Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl, just cut due to the timing. Lucario is unique in his own ways and I don't see why they shouldn't remove him unless it was due to the timing (which I will pretty much accept like Mewtwo). Z is a 'flavor of the month" since it's popularity pretty much went down since it's debut while Lucario's still high up there.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Definition of Flavor of the month: A person or subject that is current but temporaily popular. To my knowledge Lucario is still important to gamefreak and still very popular so this he's the most likely because hes flavor of the month is doesent make sense.
Yes he's not completely a flavor of the month character BUT compared to other characters he's not important to represent a recent game in the franchise, he's not particularly important to the game he heirs from any more, and he's only a one time veteran so unlike characters like Jigglypuff he's not very important to smash's history either. Basically compared to most other smash characters he is easily one of the least important characters.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If your going by the literal definition then sure. However in a game like Smash I feel like it has a different meaning.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Did I really just see someone type that Shiek is likely to get cut? Dude what are you smoking!? o_O Whatever it is I suggest you get rid of it as it seems to have spouting BS.It's a thing called Oxygen man, you gotta try it.
My reasoning for replacing Sheik was if Sakarai has a hard time having multiple characters in one slot, Impa would best take that placement.
Falco has a really slight chance of being cut and unfourtantly Wolf has a bigger chance then Falco of being cut even though I would prefer Wolf to stay. Falco has 2 time vet status, possibly equal or more popularity with/than Wolf, and kinda fits the "sidekick" role which seem to get in over the villain role.I don't really see the 3 time, 2 time vet thing going on. Wolf is alot more unique, was planned for Melee but looked to much like Fox so he was replaced by Falco, and Wolf seems to play a bigger role in StarFox than Falco does. I'm not saying he should get cut, just that he has a larger chance of leaving than Wolf does

Lucario has good chances of being cut though not as quite as a few others I would say. He just seems like one of those flavor of the month type characters.
Lucario is a very important character to Pokemon now as he is still heavily promoted and is a very popular character with a unique gimmick and he replaced Zoroark as the mascot of Pokemon Smash, so unless we only get 4 Pokemon characters I don't see him leaving.

Ike seems like he will have good chances to stay, but he's got potiental to get ut as he could have been a flavor of the month character.
I don't think Ike will leave since he is still very important and is the most popular FE Lord.
And then the one character no one mentioned. ROB. I dunno I just have a feeling that he was a one time character for some reason. :/
There's not really any reason for him to go though. It's about as big of a chance of Mr.G&W leaving.
Responses in red

Popular for a certain period of time? Uh...you might wanna look at it again. Diamond and Pearl came out in '06 (Japan)/'07 (elsewhere) and Lucario's popularity is still going strong. He may not be as popular as Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo, but he still holds his ground and is advertised heavily in the recent generations along with the anime and games. Even Black and White 2 made it possible to get a Lucario before the first gym.

If someone should get the boot, it's Pokemon Trainer for the most part. If not, then just replace Squirtle and Ivysaur with Totodile and Grovyle to have three different generations all at once with PT. As much as I don't want to see Jigglypuff, she's a veteran and is an original 12 so she's pretty much staying along with Pikachu.

Lol at you thinking I don't know what it means. Yes, I see people posting that he was a "flavor of the month" due to him being recent or replacing Mewtwo which the latter makes no sense as Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl, just cut due to the timing. Lucario is unique in his own ways and I don't see why they shouldn't remove him unless it was due to the timing (which I will pretty much accept like Mewtwo). Z is a 'flavor of the month" since it's popularity pretty much went down since it's debut while Lucario's still high up there.
I see no reason for the Pokemon Trainer to be removed as he has the most popular and iconic Pokemon and can represent the protagonist and the Elite 4, along with being in every Pokemon generation.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

Well the thing is Lucario if he does end up getting cut, he would be "cut due to timing" but the reason he'd be given low priority are basically the reasons I've been arguing now :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Responses in red
If that is your reasoning for replacing Shiek then you should go ahead and say PT has a good chance of getting cut to. That is how faulty that logic is. Zelda transforming is a important feature of her and is 99.99% safe of remaining.

Uniquess does not detirmine if a character stays or not. And being a 3 or 2 time vet does matter. Falco and Wolf seem to have about equal importance to SF the difference is that one fits the "sidekick" role while the other fits the villain role. And from past results Smash has always favored the sidekick over the villain. :/

I understand the reasons for him staying. But people can't seem to understand the reasons for him being cut and why he has a decent chance of being cut. I'd say he has like a 60/40 chance of being cut and staying respectivly. Yes Lucario is still popular but he is not being promoted as heavily as he was for BW2. And going by the way Sakurai seems to go off of showing the previous gen (Jaytalks explained it way better then me) it is quite plausible for him to but cut.

Ike the most popular FE lord? LOL hell no. Ike is up there, though he is strongest in the west. Marth will forever be the most popular FE lord, no expections, end of story, good by the end. I don't even think Ike is second most popular, that seems to be Roy mostly. But also popularity only goes so far.

G&W has a bigger chance of staying then ROB. o_O But I can't explain why I think ROB is leaving, it is jsut a gut feeling. :/

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
So are a motherload of other pokemon that aren't in smash. Lucario's reason for inclusion was that he was the most popular fourth gen pokemon that wouldn't be too large/overpowered.(Dialga/Palkia) 4th gen was the "Flavor of the Month", not Lucario itself, as it also got stage representation. 5th Gen will probably be the next "Flavor of the Month" , So Zoroark would most likely replace Lucario not because he is more popular than it, but because he's the most popular 5th gen Pokemon.

Gune

Smash Lord
If your going by the literal definition then sure. However in a game like Smash I feel like it has a different meaning.
Why use the word if youe not using the words term?

Yes he's not completely a flavor of the month character BUT compared to other characters he's not important to represent a recent game in the franchise, he's not particularly important to the game he heirs from any more, and he's only a one time veteran so unlike characters like Jigglypuff he's not very important to smash's history either. Basically compared to most other smash characters he is easily one of the least important characters.
He actually is pretty important not as important as a gen 1 pokemon important but easily one of the most important non gen 1 pokemon if he wasnt would Gamefreak even bother promoting after gen 4, him being easily one of the least important charecters in smash is debateble to because we have... Ike, Sheik, jigglypuff, Falco, Wolf, and Lucas who can also be called the least important in charracters in smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Uh Oh. Lucario vs Zoroark debate incoming. :T

If we could I would have loved to have the Pokemon roster consisting of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, Lucario and Zoroark. But oh well, that's probably just my opinion and wishful thinking.... >_>

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Why do people use the word gay for homosexual when the word's original term means happy?

Why do people use f*g as an insult when it's orignal term was slang for a ciggaret butt?

Why do people use b*tch as a insult when its orginal term was for a femal dog?

Why do people use the p*ssy as a sexual word when it originally meant cat?

Gune

Smash Lord
So are a motherload of other pokemon that aren't in smash. Lucario's reason for inclusion was that he was the most popular fourth gen pokemon that wouldn't be too large/overpowered.(Dialga/Palkia) 4th gen was the "Flavor of the Month", not Lucario itself, as it also got stage representation. 5th Gen will probably be the next "Flavor of the Month" , So Zoroark would most likely replace Lucario not because he is more popular than it, but because he's the most popular 5th gen Pokemon.
After they tried and replace Lucario on pokemon smash with him I doubt it.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
P

Hell no.

PT has been playable in what... 4-6 games (2 separate generations if we get rid of the different versions), plus the toughest boss battle in Gold/Silver(/HG/SS).

Not to mention in Brawl Lucario was given the hidden character status, and unlocked MUCH later in the SSE than PT.
PT was a starter, and also appears in the Boxart for Brawl. (Not even IKE who people here deem so worthy of staying appeared in the front boxart) And so far no boxart character has been given the boot.
If PT doesn't return, it would stick out a lot more.

Pokemon Trainer being replaced would cause 4 times the disappointment. And Sakurai is supposed to be trying not to disappoint fans of certain character. Can't imagine him saying that and then scrapping 4 characters, for the sake of one who's not even that "All-Star" material as Pokemon Trainer and his starters.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
After they tried and replace Lucario on pokemon smash with him I doubt it.
Maybe he'll return. But overall Lucario is more likely for cut than some of the characters you mentioned.
Why do people use the word gay for homosexual when the word's original term means happy?
Why do people use *** as an insult when it's orignal term was slang for a ciggaret butt?
Why do people use b*tch as a insult when its orginal term was for a femal dog?
Why do people use the p*ssy as a sexual word when it originally meant cat?
Because Habanero's sig, that's why. Now about that Corn Discussion....

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

He actually is pretty important not as important as a gen 1 pokemon important but easily one of the most important non gen 1 pokemon if he wasnt would Gamefreak even bother promoting after gen 4, him being easily one of the least important charecters in smash is debateble to because we have... Ike, Sheik, jigglypuff, Falco, Wolf, and Lucas who can also be called the least important in charracters in smash.
Do note I said "one of" but I will review all of the characters you stated as debatably less important

Ike is actually probably not as important as Lucario but he's unimportant for the same reasons... Shiek? Maybe but she is important to smash history due to two time veteran status and such. Jigglypuff is part of the original 12 she is an important character because of her long time history with smash. She is very important to the long time history while Lucario is... Lucario XD Falco... No just no. 1. He has a consistent role in most star fox games and thus is a staple to the franchise and is a 2 time veteran and as such is somewhat a staple to smash as well. Wolf? SAme reason as Falco he is an important character to the franchise. Lucario is not nearly important to his franchise but that is mostly at fault due to pokemon's nature, which gives you a LOT of variety and does not really favor Mareep over wooper. Lucario is an entierely optional thing but fine you can have a team that consists of all of the starters, lucario, the resident flying type, and a legendary if you want... To have the most uninteresting and uncreative team ever. And as for Lucas? Well he was the protagonist of a game of a relatively small franchise that makes him important to the franchise. The only reason I'd think Lucas is more unimportant to smash is if you believe that Earthbound is unimportant to smash. OK some of them are debatably less important but almost all of them meet one of those 3 somewhat important things I listed better then Lucario

mimgrim

Smash Hero
PT should stay. But get redesigned to rep more then just a single gen. Give him a more multi Gen look and different starters from different gens. But keep Charizard. Fo the love of all that is holy keep Charizard.

Also get rid of Stamina/Fatigue, force switching, switching lag, and asign switching to the taunt buttons by having each taunt be mapped to a certain Pokemon. :L

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
PT should stay. But get redesigned to rep more then just a single gen. Give him a more multi Gen look and different starters from different gens. But keep Charizard. Fo the love of all that is holy keep Charizard.

Also get rid of Stamina/Fatigue, force switching, switching lag, and asign switching to the taunt buttons by having each taunt be mapped to a certain Pokemon. :L
Personally I'd rather they keep Ivysaur, but maybe that's just because I think charizard is also one of the most overrated pokemon ever :p but otherwise I somewhat agree, playing as Grovyle or whatever would be cool XD

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman

I agree with the first two, but I doubt they'll get rid of switching lag. Perhaps they could make it shorter, but altogether? I doubt it. It IS a transformation after all, so that's like asking to get rid of Zelda/Sheik lag.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I agree with the first two, but I doubt they'll get rid of switching lag. Perhaps they could make it shorter, but altogether? I doubt it. It IS a transformation after all, so that's like asking to get rid of Zelda/Sheik lag.
Get rid of Zelda/Shiek lag to. :L

I could deal with reduce lag, as the main thing that stops me from main PT is the fatigue/stamina and forced switch. Get rid of those 2 and I would probably main him just for Charizard. lol

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Eh think what you will I still say hes one of the more likely returning vets because.
I don't really think any brawl character's really going to get cut but why do you think Lucario is more likely to stay then say Wolf? Because he gets what? Decent promotion and moderately high popularity. The problem is he has pretty much NOTHING else going for him

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone will go back to this thread in about one or two years and say "Man, did I really think he/she would actually get in/cut from the game?"

But for the time being, let's keep on discussing.

I could deal with reduce lag, as the main thing that stops me from main PT is the fatigue/stamina and forced switch. Get rid of those 2 and I would probably main him just for Charizard. lol
I'd totally main Ivysaur.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why do you always type it like this? There's no apostrophe in the word Pokemon. If you're trying to go the extra mile and put the é. Typing "Poke'mon" as opposed to Pokemon or Pokémon is just stupid.
I just thought it was pronounced like that. It really shouldn't bother you as much as it does.

Jiggs is just not relevant or important enough to Pokemon anymore. If she makes Smash 4, it's because she's classic and relevant to Smash; that's it. Heck, she barely even made the Brawl train. It's an unfortunate truth.

Falco and Toon Link aren't deserving characters? Seriously? May as well cut Ganondorf with that logic, seeing as he's a clone.
She's still a classic Pokemon like Squirtle. (well, technically she surpasses Squirtle.) She's still relevant though, having an old origin doesn't make y-

wait!!!!!! :idea:

I just realized something, she's a fairy Poke'mon now! She's more relevant than she already was.

She's being exploited in Pokemon X & Y! Guess we can mark her off the removal list :happysheep:

But, 6th Gen Pokemon would replace Zoroark :yeahboi:

As for Everybody

Poke'mon Trainer

1. Main Character
  2. Contains Charizard as well as 2 other popular Pokemon
  3. One of the most unique character ideas in SSB
  4. Contains 3 Pokemon (yeah, lets remove 3 Pokemon characters for 1)

He's not going anywhere.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone will go back to this thread in about one or two years and say "Man, did I really think he/she would actually get in/cut from the game?"

But for the time being, let's keep on discussing.
There is really no way to tell who will and who won't get cut. And basing it off of previous cuts means almost nothing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would love if Jigglypuff was added to the Trainers' Poke-roster... but I'm sure that's not happening.

In a perfect world, Lucario and Pikachu (or fine, Pichu instead) would also join him so he handles the 6 Pokemon of pokemon league rules. And when pressing Down+B you could quickly select the pokemon you want to use next.

As far as PT designs go this is how I'd rank them from favorite to least favorite. :D

MALE:
Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 5 (Black/White 1)
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 5 (Black/White 2)

FEMALE:
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 5 (Black/White 2)
Gen 1
Gen 5 (Black/White 1)
Gen 2

Gune

Smash Lord
Do note I said "one of" but I will review all of the characters you stated as debatably less important

Ike is actually probably not as important as Lucario but he's unimportant for the same reasons... Shiek? Maybe but she is important to smash history due to two time veteran status and such. Jigglypuff is part of the original 12 she is an important character because of her long time history with smash. She is very important to the long time history while Lucario is... Lucario XD Falco... No just no. 1. He has a consistent role in most star fox games and thus is a staple to the franchise and is a 2 time veteran and as such is somewhat a staple to smash as well. Wolf? SAme reason as Falco he is an important character to the franchise. Lucario is not nearly important to his franchise but that is mostly at fault due to pokemon's nature, which gives you a LOT of variety and does not really favor Mareep over wooper. Lucario is an entierely optional thing but fine you can have a team that consists of all of the starters, lucario, the resident flying type, and a legendary if you want... To have the most uninteresting and uncreative team ever. And as for Lucas? Well he was the protagonist of a game of a relatively small franchise that makes him important to the franchise. The only reason I'd think Lucas is more unimportant to smash is if you believe that Earthbound is unimportant to smash. OK some of them are debatably less important but almost all of them meet one of those 3 somewhat important things I listed better then Lucario
I will give you the veterans but the rest still stand as debatable. I wasnt saying Lucario is important because they push it in your team the whole point of pokemon is to be a trainer and take on the world with your own custom team of pokemon Im saying he is important because the fact that he still is advertised and popular and still appears in spin off's and still makes anime apearances making him a well known face to pokemon thats why im saying hes important.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Meh, it's not like we can predict the future really. So how would we know how the roster will eventually end up?

But yeah, we shouldn't boldly claim that this or that character is definitely 100% staying or getting cut since we really don't know. We could have another Brawl Mewtwo or Ness on our hands here for all we know and end up seeing a character loads of people expected to stay getting cut or getting cut staying. :/

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
But, 6th Gen Pokemon would replace Zoroark
I thought about this, but realized that Sakurai has said that the roster is "Finalized" before, and since X/Y haven't even been released yet, so I figured their best 6th gen representation would be Jigglypuff or Mewtwo. Or maybe you were referring to Smash 5? Or perhaps I just missed the joke?
You propose a fine argument sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom