• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
he was important but not anymore Zoroark and Sylveon might not ever be as important as lucario was in his prime but they are more important than lucario is currently
Really?

Lucario's currently being used to advertise more than Zoroark. Even within Zoroark's own generation.

We can't judge Sylveon's full preformace yet, but it hasn't done anything important yet.

Lucario is still on top.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Mainly due to Eevee lacks several things that would make it a suitable quadruped fighter. Eevee doesn't have any extra appendages to assist aside from a tail, and doesn't have any elements to use for attacks like Ivysaur and Pikachu do. It also doesn't have a suitable way to grab opponents and throw them, and lacks any real moves to use as special moves or a Final Smash. The only way an Eevee could work is if the Eevee from Manga Pokemon Adventures with the ability to switch forms on demand was used, but since that has little to no relevancy to the actual games/series, it can't really be taken into account to defend Eevee's inclusion in that state. It pretty much wasn't until Sylveon came around that the Eevee family had the makings of a unique quadruped fighter that could make up for what it lacked with seperate appendages, kind of like Ivysaur with its vines.
So would Sylveon play exactly like Ivysaur just instead of vines, bowties?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
but hes not in any current movies or anime from what I've seen (might be wrong about that but to lazy to look it up so i'll say its right and not back it up with proof :bubblebobble: )
A Lucario just beat Ash in the Pokemon League.

He's still being used in the anime.

Reznor

work in progress
Really?

Lucario's currently being used to advertise more than Zoroark. Even within Zoroark's own generation.

We can't judge Sylveon's full preformace yet, but it hasn't done anything important yet.

Lucario is still on top.
did not know this

Just because Charizard isn't in any movies doesn't mean he isn't important.
well played sir well played :glare:

D

Deleted member

we don't know how important Sylveon is yet she might be a major part of the game or the Anime so I wouldn't write her off yet also Lucario has become way less important
The only "importance" Slyveon had thus far is appearing in that Pikachu short that comes before the new Mewtwo/Genesect movie. And that's just because it was Eeveelution based and it was to be a new evolution in the upcoming games.

Even after its Gen of debut, Lucario still shines as a promotional Pokémon, reaching among the same level as ones like Charizard.
It overtook Zoroark in promotion once Black/White 2 rolled around, even re-replacing the Zoroark mascot for Pokémon Smash! (when it took over Pokémon Sunday) that replaced it.
Hell, a Lucario is what knocked Ash out of the Unova League in the anime.

Even X/Y isn't safe from Lucario, being used as one of the Pokémon to demonstrate Pokémon-Amie.

To say Lucario has "lost its importance" is laughable.

Reznor

work in progress
The only "importance" Slyveon had thus far is appearing in that Pikachu short that comes before the new Mewtwo/Genesect movie. And that's just because it was Eeveelution based and it was to be a new evolution in the upcoming games.

Even after its Gen of debut, Lucario still shines as a promotional Pokémon, reaching among the same level as ones like Charizard.
It overtook Zoroark in promotion once Black/White 2 rolled around, even re-replacing the Zoroark mascot for Pokémon Smash! (when it took over Pokémon Sunday) that replaced it.

Even X/Y isn't safe from Lucario, being used as one of the Pokémon to demonstrate Pokémon-Amie.

why are you always right :glare:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So would Sylveon play exactly like Ivysaur just instead of vines, bowties?
No, not in the slightest actually. The ribbons would act as extra appendages yes, but the overall playstyle of Sylveon would be very graceful and tranquil as it uses different normal and fairy type attacks. I personally want to know more about the kinds of fairy type moves there are before constructing a full moveset though.

Really?

Lucario is still on top.
Wouldn't Zoroark and Lucario be even in that regard? The most recent advertisements for X/Y featured both Lucario and Zoroark, and there's already rumors that Zorua/Zoroark will be catchable in the Kalos region while Riolu/Lucario will not. As for the actual pokemon games...Lucario really doesn't have any overall importance, it doesn't even feel as special/unique as it used to. But hey, maybe that will change again if it is catchable in 6th Gen.

Gune

Smash Lord
he was important but not anymore Zoroark and Sylveon might not ever be as important as lucario was in his prime but they are more important than lucario is currently

it was strange that Mewtwo got cut also
Zoroark will NEVER be more important his chances died when Gamefreak thought he couldnt be the posterboy of his own gen. Sylveon has a chance to be but if gamefreak keep's up the way they advertise and favor lucario he will officially be mascot status and that's gonna be awesome.... and yeah it was strange when mewtwo got cut but the backlash will most likely be no different if Lucario gets cut.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Wouldn't Zoroark and Lucario be even in that regard? The most recent advertisements for X/Y featured both Lucario and Zoroark, and there's already rumors that Zorua/Zoroark will be catchable in the Kalos region while Riolu/Lucario will not. As for the actual pokemon games...Lucario really doesn't have any overall importance, it doesn't even feel as special/unique as it used to. But hey, maybe that will change again if it is catchable in 6th Gen.
Pokemon don't have any importance over another Pokemon in the games except for Legendaries.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Well, let's be honest here, the main reason it was in the promotions of Black 2/White 2 is because you could catch a Riolu early on in the game. Also, regarding that trailer, Lucario appears for one brief moment when Zoroark is shown off several times and is also possibly catchable in the Kalos Region. And I don't think that "Knocking Ash out of the League" is that big of a deal...considering he always freaking loses...although that last guy in the Sinnoh Region was a bit of a cheater...

and yeah it was strange when mewtwo got cut but the backlash will most likely be no different if Lucario gets cut.
I have to say something about this. Would there be backlash? Yes, there would be. Would it be as big as Mewtwo's? Not even close. You can't really compare Mewtwo and Lucario on any level. I'm not hating on Lucario by saying this, but Mewtwo is more popular, more iconic, more relevant, more important to the franchise and just an overall more-loved pokemon. Sure the backlash of Lucario possibly being cut would be big, but it wouldn't be Mewtwo big.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was talking about Unova, where Lucario dominated.

We really can't say much about Kalos as it isn't out yet.

We just gave you tons of reasons why Lucario is important.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can tell you aren't a fan of Pokemon. You are telling me that Charizard = Weedle, please.
He's talking about the games.

In the games, no Pokemon is really given more importance over the other so that you can choose whatever pokemon you want.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I was talking about Unova, where Lucario dominated.

We really can't say much about Kalos as it isn't out yet.

We just gave you tons of reasons why Lucario is important.
I get the reasons why Lucario is important, but remember that just because something is important doesn't mean it's a surefire thing. I wouldn't mind Lucario coming back, but it's all up to Sakurai at this point and what he feels is necessary. To be honest...I'd want Lucario to come back before the Pokemon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

Mainly due to Eevee lacks several things that would make it a suitable quadruped fighter. Eevee doesn't have any extra appendages to assist aside from a tail, and doesn't have any elements to use for attacks like Ivysaur and Pikachu do. It also doesn't have a suitable way to grab opponents and throw them, and lacks any real moves to use as special moves or a Final Smash. The only way an Eevee could work is if the Eevee from Manga Pokemon Adventures with the ability to switch forms on demand was used, but since that has little to no relevancy to the actual games/series, it can't really be taken into account to defend Eevee's inclusion in that state. It pretty much wasn't until Sylveon came around that the Eevee family had the makings of a unique quadruped fighter that could make up for what it lacked with seperate appendages, kind of like Ivysaur with its vines.
All this is showing is that you didn't put effort into it.
I made an Eevee moveset quite a while ago for Super Smash Bros. Crusade. (Granted, it was meant to be a Pokémon Rival character that used Eevee as his Pokémon, and can evolve it to one of the three original Eevee evos through Final Smash, so I'll just post the Eevee part.)

Neutral Combo: Headbutt.
Neutral Forward: Mule kick.
Dash Attack: Tackle.
Neutral Up: Stand on hind legs and push upwards with front legs. Similar to Ness’s Neutral Up.
Neutral Down: Kick front paws forward while lying down.
Forward Smash: Tail smash.
Up Smash: Back flip, hitting with back legs.
Down Smash: Plop on belly and spread front legs forward and back legs backward to kick both sides. Pretty much a four legged splits.
Neutral Air: Roll like Pikachu.
Forward Air: Swing front legs overhead.
Back Air: Swing tail. (Similar to Mewtwo in Melee)
Up Air: ALL: Stretch upward, and swat with front paws.
Down Air: Cannonball.
Grab: Grab with front paws while standing on hind legs.
Pummel: Bite the opponent.
Forward Throw: Roll forward while holding on to opponent, then tosses them forward. (Think Pikachu’s Back Throw, but forward instead.)
Up Throw: Flip up and tosses opponent upward.
Back Throw: Flip back and smacks opponent with tail.
Down Throw: Tosses opponent down, and dive-bombs with head.
Neutral Special:
Sand Attack: Eevee tosses sand forward. This does a small amount of damage.
Forward Special:
Echoed Voice: Eevee creates shockwaves of sound around it that fly in multiple, separate directions. They can bounce off the ground and walls, and if they make contact with Eevee, they WILL harm it. If used on the ground, shockwaves don’t fly off from under Eevee. If used in the air, shockwaves DO come from under Eevee as well as above and around it. These shockwaves deal multiple hits with non-flinching damage.
Up Special:
Substitute: Eevee performs a “ninja trick” by disappearing while a Substitute Doll is formed in its place. Eevee then reappears in
Down Special:
Dig: Eevee buries itself underground, waits a few seconds, then pops back up and attacks. If used on a platform that you can fall through, it just falls through.

Final Smash:
Trump Card: Eevee runs forward. If it makes contact with an opponent, it then freezes the opponent in place, and creates a slash mark where they are. The damage and knockback is determined by how much damage Eevee has (the more damage it has, the greater the damage and knockback, highest being a 1-Hit KO like Marth’s Critical Hit.).

This was one of my earlier movesets, so the quality isn't that great, but it still shows it can be done.
Also note, that this moveset was made before Black/White came out, so it doesn't take any moves from Gen 5 and up into consideration.

EDIT: And even before Sylveon's "extra appendages", we had Espeon with it's psychic powers. You know, as in, grabbing things with it's mind like Mewtwo. And I believe Umbreon is capable of the same thing despite being Dark type, if the Prologue to the Awakening special is anything to go by.
Or Leafeon, using vines like Ivysaur.

So really, Sylveon having "extra appendages" doesn't mean anything special in the long run.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
While Lucario may return, I somehow find it unlikely. While the pokemon is still promoted, so are other pokemon from other gens. Like the other pokemon shown, he's used because he's recognizable. It's not like every trailer is centered around him, but just the few mentioned. Part of his attained fame was BECAUSE he was in Brawl, and he wasn't as popular before then. I'm not really for or against his return, as I could care less, but it's not like he's even overtaken Jigglypuff in terms of popularity. Not to mention I love Lucario as a pokemon, but hate the Brawl version.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I made an Eevee moveset quite a while ago for Super Smash Bros. Crusade. (Granted, it was meant to be a Pokémon Rival character that used Eevee as his Pokémon, and can evolve it to one of the three original Eevee evos through Final Smash, so I'll just post the Eevee part.)

Neutral Up: Stand on hind legs and push upwards with front legs. Similar to Ness’s Neutral Up.
Down Smash: Plop on belly and spread front legs forward and back legs backward to kick both sides. Pretty much a four legged splits.
Forward Throw: Roll forward while holding on to opponent, then tosses them forward. (Think Pikachu’s Back Throw, but forward instead.)
Neutral Special:
Forward Special:
Echoed Voice: Eevee creates shockwaves of sound around it that fly in multiple, separate directions. They can bounce off the ground and walls, and if they make contact with Eevee, they WILL harm it. If used on the ground, shockwaves don’t fly off from under Eevee. If used in the air, shockwaves DO come from under Eevee as well as above and around it. These shockwaves deal multiple hits with non-flinching damage.
Up Special:
Substitute: Eevee performs a “ninja trick” by disappearing while a Substitute Doll is formed in its place. Eevee then reappears in
Down Special:
Dig: Eevee buries itself underground, waits a few seconds, then pops back up and attacks. If used on a platform that you can fall through, it just falls through.

Final Smash:
Trump Card: Eevee runs forward. If it makes contact with an opponent, it then freezes the opponent in place, and creates a slash mark where they are. The damage and knockback is determined by how much damage Eevee has (the more damage it has, the greater the damage and knockback, highest being a 1-Hit KO like Marth’s Critical Hit.).

This was one of my earlier movesets, so the quality isn't that great, but it still shows it can be done.
Also note, that this moveset was made before Black/White came out, so it doesn't take any moves from Gen 5 and up into consideration.

EDIT: And even before Sylveon's "extra appendages", we had Espeon with it's psychic powers. You know, as in, grabbing things with it's mind like Mewtwo.
It's not a bad moveset, but it doesn't feel very unique as it takes several things from an already existing character and is pretty bland. Also, I'm pretty sure Eevee cannot grab with its front paws. As for Espeon, aside from grabbing things with its mind, there's pretty much nothing else it could do but tail attacks and psychic projectiles, and we all know how well that went over for Mewtwo in Melee. :ohwell:

Not to mention I love Lucario as a pokemon, but hate the Brawl version.
I actually second this. Lucario was designed pretty badly in my honest opinion. It didn't even feel like a fighting type or a Lucario, it felt like I was using a psychic type.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Neutral Special:
Forward Special:
Up Special:
Down Special:

Final Smash:

EDIT: And even before Sylveon's "extra appendages", we had Espeon with it's psychic powers. You know, as in, grabbing things with it's mind like Mewtwo.
Or Leafeon, using vines like Ivysaur.
I like that moveset. In all honesty, I agree with what you said. Eevee can be made playable. And right now, I still don't think Sylveon is a great idea. Sakurai basically told us the qualifications for Pokemon in Smash, and I think the only two that stand a chance are Genesect and Mewtwo, the latter being more likely. I love the idea of Sylveon and a type of Eevee representation, but it'd be better as an assist trophy or Pokeball.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
It's not a bad moveset, but it doesn't feel very unique as it takes several things from an already existing character and is pretty bland. Also, I'm pretty sure Eevee cannot grab with its front paws. As for Espeon, aside from grabbing things with its mind, there's pretty much nothing else it could do but tail attacks and psychic projectiles, and we all know how well that went over for Mewtwo in Melee. :ohwell:
Now you're just being unimaginative.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
While Lucario may return, I somehow find it unlikely. While the pokemon is still promoted, so are other pokemon from other gens. Like the other pokemon shown, he's used because he's recognizable. It's not like every trailer is centered around him, but just the few mentioned. Part of his attained fame was BECAUSE he was in Brawl, and he wasn't as popular before then. I'm not really for or against his return, as I could care less, but it's not like he's even overtaken Jigglypuff in terms of popularity. Not to mention I love Lucario as a pokemon, but hate the Brawl version.
The only thing I agree with you is that Lucario in Brawl's version look ugly lol

I hope he look (much) better in SSB4, though. Wouldn't you like to see what he would look like in there?!

But I disagree with everything else, unfortunately. He's very likely to return, even more than what everyone who'd against him would think, because of some contexts mentioned in an interview with Sakurai.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
DLC, i'm very interested on how the devs can make that work. Would the extra (DLC) characters be already be put on the disc and sold separately? Or would the devs be able to release the game and then create a brand new character and add him to the game thru DLC?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DLC, i'm very interested on how the devs can make that work. Would the extra (DLC) characters be already be put on the disc and sold separately? Or would the devs be able to release the game and then create a brand new character and add him to the game thru DLC?
Most likely the second option.

If they did the first option like Capcom, they would be hated. They know this.

Reznor

work in progress
I say we talk about what what/if Mario Rpg rep we get
I think its most likely to get a Paper Mario rep than any

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I don't think there will be DLC on sale, but rather, a free add-on for SSB4.

D

Deleted member

It's Smash, it doesn't need to be 100% logical and accurate.

Otherwise, Jigglypuff grabbing on to people just by poking them would not be. Pretty sure a Jigglypuff can't actually grab another character due to its stubby, fingerless arms/hands, with the only excuse being "Kirby does it". In fact, a hefty sum of Jigglypuff's attacks were taken from Kirby.

And like I said, early moveset. At this point, I would take B/W into account and also have Eevee latch onto the opponent to grab them.

You also talk as if being limited in physical capability is a bad thing. That since Sylveon has those ribbon things, it will magically have more to work with.
NEWSFLASH: All that means that instead of tail attacks, Sylveon will be limited to using the ribbons for the exact same purpose. And instead of "psychic projectiles", it has to resort to "magic projectiles", which in the context of Smash, is barely different.

So what have we learned?
Eevee and all its evolutions are all just as capable to grab and attack, though how they would depends on the 'Eon. And all are just as limited in what they can do as the others.
Sylveon is not a special case in any regard.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai has said that the team has considered DLC but currently have no plans for it as they plan to put as much into the game as possible. So we might not be hearing word of any until months after the game's release. I do love how everyone has jumped to the conclusion that we'll be getting characters as DLC though. I somehow find it unlikely, due to the fact that Sakurai is putting as much into the game as possible. The only characters I see us getting as DLC are those cut due to time constraints, and I feel like selling them as DLC when they were originally supposed to be in the game is kinda pulling a Street Fighter X Tekken.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I don't think there will be DLC on sale, but rather, a free add-on for SSB4.
thats some real optimistic thinking. rather unlikely though. i think the best u could look forward to with DLC is some special sales or maybe something like "buy X game and get a free code for Y character." server updates and patches are likely to be free but from a business perspective it wouldnt make sense to make design a character and give him out for free when u could just as easily sell him for roughly $5 and people will buy it all the same

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I would pay $5 a couple years down the line for a couple characters.
But it'd be strange if you want to play as someone else that you paid for, but cannot be used online because someone else would have to pay for it as well... and it'd be bad during anyone mode...

IMO, when new DLC is out, everyone that was trying to access online must download it before proceeding to fight online with your friends or with anyone.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Well if your friend wanted to play with the DLC and didn't buy it, (s)he would just have to play on your console. Or you could bring over your SD card. But you could always copy your data over to theirs, they would have to put some sort of safety on that.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
But it'd be strange if you want to play as someone else that you paid for, but cannot be used online because someone else would have to pay for it as well... and it'd be bad during anyone mode...

IMO, when new DLC is out, everyone that was trying to access online must download it before proceeding to fight online with your friends or with anyone.
Are you under the impression that you couldnt use a DLC character online unless other people have bought it? cause thats not how it works. when a dlc is released ur game would go through an update to accamodate the new content in both the servers and ur own game regardless of whether or not u buy said content at the time. online u could still use a character/skin/stage that a person who hasnt bought it because they still did the free game updates. thats how Marvel vs Capcom 3, Playstation Allstars, Street Fighter X Tekken etc do it generally speaking. now idk if Nintendo is able to function in a similar manner but thats how it's usually done.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I supported Eevee for smash like a nut when I was younger, but realized this will probably never happen. Mewtwo and Eevee are my two favorite pokemon actually. It's just, theres no way he could switch, and what's Eevee without his eeveelutions? [besides cute af]
I like the evolve into one at random after a final smash attack. But the movesets of all the eeveelutions would have to be similar because theres no way they'd make that many unique movesets for characters that never show up aside for after a final smash.
Maybe if the Rival, had a party of eeveelutions? Idk.
And on Lucario. he's an awesome pokemon, no doubbt about that. He's still super popular as well. It's just...I really wouldn't care if he got cut because they don't know what to do with him! In brawl he's slow as hell, and nothing like he is anywhere else. He's a quick nimble fighter and that's how he should be. Not a thick ass mewtwo clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom