• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
well there's our last update for the summer. that's my prediction. but awesome for olimar fans. loved him in his game and in smash. he's awesome.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Olimar is back!

So...

No Pikmin 3 captain?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Olimar's reveal kinda makes me think that Sakurai''s team won't stop programming limitations from including characters.

So I doubt we'll see Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer go. They'll make them work.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'm happy to see Olimar back.

I like how I somehow predicted he'd be one of the next to be revealed way back ago. Zelda, Yoshi, Peach, and Diddy were the others, I believe.

Seriously though, any news is welcome at this point, even being just veterans we're already sure would return.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wait, what? Olimar was confirmed?

*checks dojo*

Ah, good to see. I guess they really are sticking to one character per month.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Hopefully this signals that we'll start getting more reveals soon, even if it's just obvious veterans.

Though looking at Brawl's Dojo, we didn't see any character pages poke up until May 2007, and then they started poking up in June (Zelda, Fox) and beyond.

...I don't think I need to finish my thought on the matter. :p

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Hey guys look:

The stage shown off in the screenshots shows a spaceship which also appears in Pikmin 3. Kind of makes you wonder why Winged and Rock Pikmin were not implemented. Could we have another captain that uses Winged/Rock Pikmin instead of White/Purple pikmin?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Hey guys look:

The stage shown off in the screenshots shows a spaceship which also appears in Pikmin 3. Kind of makes you wonder why Winged and Rock Pikmin were not implemented. Could we have another captain that uses Winged/Rock Pikmin instead of White/Purple pikmin?
Maybe Olimar CAN use them, and they're going to be a surprise update.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm curious if they're just going to make Olimar the composite Pikmin character. Give him that new spaceship for his FS, Winged/Rock Pikmin, etc..

Ah well, speculating is for the birds and Bulborbs.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm curious if they're just going to make Olimar the composite Pikmin character. Give him that new spaceship for his FS, Winged/Rock Pikmin, etc..

Ah well, speculating is for the birds and Bulborbs.
Well, technically he does have some significance in Pikmin 3 apparently, being confirmed to be playable in the multiplayer mode at least and having some impact on the main story because he left around "notes" for the new Captains to look at and learn from, so he may not be as much of a "composite" character as it would seem, especially with the possibility that he could be playable in Pikmin 3's aftergame similar to how The President was in Pikmin 2's aftergame.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sucks that there wont be any Pikmin stages on the 3DS.

EDIT: Actually, the Brawl one could be on the 3DS as a past stage.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Young link, Docter Mario, Pichu and Mewtwo were not high priority so...
And they were veterans, making your point of every veteran in Brawl (every character) of being a high priority again moot. e.e

Something I thought of. Considering Sakurai said that there were "No cuts thus far..." there were debates as to what was meant by this quote.

Now, if we don't know who is being included in this game, who would be cut? Sakurai acknowledged the fact that people might be disappointed if a particular character gets cut, etc...

My theory, is that yes, Sakurai is attempting to salvage the Brawl roster in its entirety. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense for him to say "There aren't any cuts so far" after making the comment that I have already mentioned. If he was referring to the Wii U/3DS roster, he could cut Ike completely and just be like "Oh nobody has been cut". But Ike would have been cut. No sense make.

This includes Snake and Sonic. Sakurai has not mentioned the fate of 3rd party characters at this point, and I would like to throw my two cents in on this as well. When Sakurai said in the Nintendo Developer Direct that, "I'm not going to put just any character from another company in Smash Bros,", why does that matter? In my opinion, I think it means that it would have to be a character that would have lasting appeal, and would need to make a connection to him, and the players. As we can see, Snake, Sonic AND Megaman have all struck this cord (maybe Snake to a lesser degree, but I liked him, and I think he has been widely accepted in general). With this lasting appeal, it would make enough sense to include them on a continual basis unless some sort of incident occurred between companies

Maybe I'm just crazy, but if it didn't matter as much as I am saying, why would Sakurai go through the trouble of getting these characters for ONE installment? I don't think that is the case. I think he wants these guys in. Not only do they mean something to Nintendo, but they mean something to him, as most of the Smash Bros. characters do.
Its a probably possibility, but it's not the only probably possibility. You forget he has also stated the roster is already "finalized" so by "no cuts" he could mean "no cuts" from the "finalized" roster yet, which is just as equally likely.

Anyway, Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee olimar is back. ^^

JPW

Smash Ace
Olimar's reveal kinda makes me think that Sakurai''s team won't stop programming limitations from including characters.

So I doubt we'll see Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer go. They'll make them work.

i started thinking this too. Ice Climbers could be back after all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Something I thought of. Considering Sakurai said that there were "No cuts thus far..." there were debates as to what was meant by this quote.

Now, if we don't know who is being included in this game, who would be cut? Sakurai acknowledged the fact that people might be disappointed if a particular character gets cut, etc...

My theory, is that yes, Sakurai is attempting to salvage the Brawl roster in its entirety. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense for him to say "There aren't any cuts so far" after making the comment that I have already mentioned. If he was referring to the Wii U/3DS roster, he could cut Ike completely and just be like "Oh nobody has been cut". But Ike would have been cut. No sense make.

This includes Snake and Sonic. Sakurai has not mentioned the fate of 3rd party characters at this point, and I would like to throw my two cents in on this as well. When Sakurai said in the Nintendo Developer Direct that, "I'm not going to put just any character from another company in Smash Bros,", why does that matter? In my opinion, I think it means that it would have to be a character that would have lasting appeal, and would need to make a connection to him, and the players. As we can see, Snake, Sonic AND Megaman have all struck this cord (maybe Snake to a lesser degree, but I liked him, and I think he has been widely accepted in general). With this lasting appeal, it would make enough sense to include them on a continual basis unless some sort of incident occurred between companies

Maybe I'm just crazy, but if it didn't matter as much as I am saying, why would Sakurai go through the trouble of getting these characters for ONE installment? I don't think that is the case. I think he wants these guys in. Not only do they mean something to Nintendo, but they mean something to him, as most of the Smash Bros. characters do.

I wish I could like this times a 1000. I agree with everything you just stated. It doesn't make sense for Sakurai to say no cuts to IGN and only refer to his list which nobody knows about. Sakurai is very clever with his statements and audience.

volbound1700

Smash Master

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wow you misunderstand his joke. Granted it is not funny but he is trying to add spice to the article as writer to catch the audience's attention (which he clearly succeeded based on your comments).
I don't think he was joking........ And after those first 2 paragrapsh he lost my attention because my antention on it was because of how the link was worded in the previous article. But I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't joking. lol

volbound1700

Smash Master
IGN often has articles with hyperbole referencing other pop culture items, in this case comparing Pikmin to the aliens in Independence day to make a joke and light of the fact that Olimar and Co. use Pikmin in their game to steal items and kill them in combat.

Kind of similar to the jokes about Mario and PETA or Link being mute.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have suspicion that due to Olimar being revealed a month after E3, we might get monthly character updates with possibly newcomers maybe getting a Nintendo Direct or video.

It is 17 months from now until December 2014. Smash will be released sometime during then. Bearing that in mind, it's feasible that we could get a character update every month (not on the 12th) but around that time frame.

Of course, that theory can be debunked by the fact Pikmin 3 comes out tomorrow here in Japan so Olimar may had been released only to promote the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey guys...remember when I guessed that Olimar would be the next character revealed? :troll:

...Because I did

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Update every month?

If it's just by characters we're going to see 50 or so months of updates 0_0

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The releases before the end of the year:
Pokemon X and Y: September (month before release): Awakened Mewtwo
Sonic: Lost World: October: Sonic
DKC: TF: November: Diddy Kong
SM: 3D World: Princess Peach

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Its a probably possibility, but it's not the only probably possibility. You forget he has also stated the roster is already "finalized" so by "no cuts" he could mean "no cuts" from the "finalized" roster yet, which is just as equally likely.

Anyway, Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee olimar is back. ^^
That wouldn't make sense though. Considering we only know thirteen characters thus far, and only 10 of them returning, "no cuts" wouldn't make sense if it were the finalized roster. He could say he cut Ike for example, and say the finalized roster is set. But there WOULD be a cut from Brawl, which is what most people don't want. This is why I feel he is referring to the Brawl roster.

Sakurai has been asked about cuts from previous games, and he apologized in advance for "possible cuts". I mean really, the cuts from Brawl are the ones that everyone cares about. Sakurai could have added Chrom and dropped him already, and nobody would know about it.

I did not forget what he said about finalizing. He could have cut Snake out of the roster before the "finalized roster" but that would still be a cut. That's why I am saying I doubt he means the finalized roster.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's a good thing i only said it would be a vet. However, my initial guesses were way off. :laugh:
I knew a veteran would be the next announced. To tell you the truth, I should have seen it coming. I mean, wasn't Olimar one of the first revealed on the Brawl Dojo? Plus, its a different franchise. I expected someone like Peah or Wario though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I knew a veteran would be the next announced. To tell you the truth, I should have seen it coming. I mean, wasn't Olimar one of the first revealed on the Brawl Dojo? Plus, its a different franchise. I expected someone like Peah or Wario though.
As Jaytalks mentioned, we may see updates in correlation with upcoming games. I myself expected Yoshi, Peach or Wario, but Olimar was in there as well.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That wouldn't make sense though. Considering we only know thirteen characters thus far, and only 10 of them returning, "no cuts" wouldn't make sense if it were the finalized roster. He could say he cut Ike for example, and say the finalized roster is set. But there WOULD be a cut from Brawl, which is what most people don't want. This is why I feel he is referring to the Brawl roster.

Sakurai has been asked about cuts from previous games, and he apologized in advance for "possible cuts". I mean really, the cuts from Brawl are the ones that everyone cares about. Sakurai could have added Chrom and dropped him already, and nobody would know about it.

I did not forget what he said about finalizing. He could have cut Snake out of the roster before the "finalized roster" but that would still be a cut. That's why I am saying I doubt he means the finalized roster.
Yet there is no sure way of knowing that. I'm not saying thats what he is or isn't saying because I simply don't know what he means by it. But cmon this is Sakurai we are talking about and his logic differs from ours sometimes and he gets vauge on purpos. I have no problem with people calling that a theory and thinking that their theory is true, like I think that he is talking about the "finalized" roster. What gets under my skin is when people seem to use this as an excuse/argument to keep X character from Brawl because Sakurai said "no cuts yet" and take it as fact that he is talking about no cuts from Brawl when he could just as easily mean something else. And jsut because Sakurai doesn't like cuts doesn't mean they aren't gonna happen, when it comes to these types of games some kind of cut is going to happen in each new installment it can't be helped.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Talk about over exxagerating. If SSB4 gets released during the Summer of next year it will only be 10-11 months from now to then. No where near 50 months. Sheesh.
We can't say for sure. Remember how many times Brawl got delayed? We all know the reasons why but it still can happen again.

The website could still update even after the game is released. I'm not exaggerating.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
As Jaytalks mentioned, we may see updates in correlation with upcoming games. I myself expected Yoshi, Peach or Wario, but Olimar was in there as well.
I'm guessing we wont see Peach for at least a little while, probably by the end of the year. We already have two Mario characters, give the others a chance. If its not a newcomer next, I could see Yoshi or Zelda making an appearance.

Hey, 100th post. Yay for me.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
We can't say for sure. Remember how many times Brawl got delayed? We all know the reasons why but it still can happen again.

The website could still update even after the game is released. I'm not exaggerating.
yea you are, even if it gets delayed to 2015 it would only move up to 20-21 months, no where near 50 months. e_e

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think there have been any cuts made yet because they are not at the stage of development. There will be a roster finalization, and that when the cuts will come.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
yea you are, even if it gets delayed to 2015 it would only move up to 20-21 months, no where near 50 months. e_e
Agreed. 50 months would be 4 years. That's a long time.

Also, mimgrim, believe me, I am not denying there could still be cuts. I mean, they may even have to cut somebody down the road if things get hectic. I'm just saying I think they are trying to include everyone the best they can right now, and will cut some out if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom