• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Notice that I said "major Mario Titles" in which I was referring to The main Mario series, or the platformers, not the spin-offs. Dry Bowser is NOT a main focal point of the game, nor is he necessary to complete Bowser as a character.
Can we PLEASE change the subject now?
I DID notice you said major titles, that's why I pointed out that you were maybe unaware of Super Mario 3D Land & New Super Mario Bros. 2 (your point?)

Yes we can change the subject, but I disagree ENTIRELY that Game & Watch and R.O.B. are random choices at all.
unexpected does not equal random.

ALSO PIKMIN & OLIMAR CONFIRMED!!!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
With no Rock and Flying Pikmin, I think the possibility of a new Pikmin character is a lot more realistic.

To be truly honest though, I wouldn't expect a second Pikmin character until after we got a Pikmin 4. Maybe then we'd have enough Pikmin-types to use on a second character in SSB5.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
With no Rock and Flying Pikmin, I think the possibility of a new Pikmin character is a lot more realistic.

To be truly honest though, I wouldn't expect a second Pikmin character until after we got a Pikmin 4. Maybe then we'd have enough Pikmin-types to use on a second character in SSB5.
Just because they didn't show Rock Pikmin and Flying Pikmin doesn't mean they aren't there. Sakurai could jsut be waiting to show them to surprise us. Don't rule them out of being under Olimar jsut yet now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't know, but I feel confident Pikmin will get a second rep.
Maybe Alph, who can hold only Red, Blue, Yellow, Rock, and Pink Pikmin, but uses his moves in a different fashion.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we did get one of the captains from Pikmin 3 as a newcomer and they would in turn use the Red, Blue, Yellow, Rock and Flying Pikmin.

Of course assuming Olimar doesn't use the Rock and Flying Pikmin...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I use to think Louie was a good idea, splitting the Pikmin between the 2. But, It's not. Just give them all to Olimar.

Need this answered as soon as possible!

IS THE NEW MEWTWO FORM REAL OR FAKE????

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just throwing it out there, is it really such a crime if every single variety of Pikmin isn't represented through a Smash moveset? Are the rock and flying Pikmin really that great that they warrant a whole new character off of whom to piggyback?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... Golden, why are you so concerned about Mewtwo's forms getting in the way of other pokemon. I mean, it could just be a FS.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just throwing it out there, is it really such a crime if every single variety of Pikmin isn't represented through a Smash moveset? Are the rock and flying Pikmin really that great that they warrant a whole new character off of whom to piggyback?
Yeah Pikmin has decent popularity, and I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3 will be a great game (Possibly better than the rest), that it can warrant a second rep.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah Pikmin has decent popularity, and I'm pretty sure Pikmin 3 will be a great game (Possibly better than the rest), that it can warrant a second rep.
No one's been speculating about a second Pikmin character (lol reps) because of the series' popularity or quality, or that of its characters. For months, virtually all discussion of Olimar revolved around, one, whether he'd be outright replaced by a new character wielding the rock and flying Pikmin, or two, whether he'd wield them himself. Only now that the former has been disconfirmed and the latter has become ambiguous are people justifying the inclusion of a new character, which makes me wonder why so much of the discussion revolves around these new Pikmin. It's not as though you see people suggesting that characters be added to other series just to account for new power-ups, with the occasional exception of Dark Pit.

D

Deleted member

So... Golden, why are you so concerned about Mewtwo's forms getting in the way of other pokemon. I mean, it could just be a FS.
Mewtwo has two new forms.
Likely, that means all three are playable, as none of them are "super" compared to what Mewtwo is supposed to be already. All we've seen of the one form is that it is much faster.

Aside from that, it opens up ideas for a new gimmick, something we know Sakurai will look at.
That being said, it is no guarantee. Though should Mewtwo's new forms be used as playable states, then something's got to give.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I don't want to say this but...

Olimar not having Pink and Rock pikmin does give more weight to a second pikmin rep... It's not what I want it doesn't SEEM likely but with Sakurais track record... The man likes to give us PAINFULLY similar characters, athetically or moveset wise he might not do "clones" but brawl had Lucas/Wolf/Toon Link/ Falco and Ganondorf, although not "clones", still felt a lot like Fox and CaptainFalcon, Toon Zelda and Dr. Mario were also planned... How ever you feel about these characters the fact remains aesthetically speaking the roster has a lot of similar looking/feeling characters and isn't exactly as diverse as it could be.

I'm not saying it will happen, im hoping it won't happen, but this time around I will not be surprised if we lose spots that could be Ridley, K Rool, Palutena, Isaac etc... to characters like Alph and Tom Nook.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't want to say this but...

Olimar not having Pink and Rock pikmin does give more weight to a second pikmin rep... It's not what I want it doesn't SEEM likely but with Sakurais track record... The man likes to give us PAINFULLY similar characters, athetically or moveset wise he might not do "clones" but brawl had Lucas/Wolf/Toon Link/ Falco and Ganondorf, although not "clones", still felt a lot like Fox and CaptainFalcon, Toon Zelda and Dr. Mario were also planned... How ever you feel about these characters the fact remains aesthetically speaking the roster has a lot of similar looking/feeling characters and isn't exactly as diverse as it could be.

I'm not saying it will happen, im hoping it won't happen, but this time around I will not be surprised if we lose spots that could be Ridley, K Rool, Palutena, Isaac etc... to characters like Alph and Tom Nook.
Wolf is nothing like Fox and plays completly differnetly. Falco also plays differntly from Fox. Same goes for Lucas and Ness. Just ugh... have you ever played these characters you claim to be clones? Toon Link is meant to be a faster version of Link as he is child Link. You only plausible argument when it comes to Brawl clones is Ganondorf. e_e

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
8/11 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - Luigi
October 2013 - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - WW (Toon) Link
November 2013 - Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze - Diddy Kong
November 2013 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Zelda?
December 2013 - Super Mario 3D World - Peach/(Blue/Yellow) Toad
Holiday 2013 - Sonic Lost World - Sonic
Spring 2014 - Mario Kart 8 - Wario/Waluigi/Daisy?
2014 - Yoshi's New Island - Yoshi
I think Sonic is more likely to be revealed either when Mario & Sonic at the Soichi Winter Games or the rumored Sonic & Sega All Stars game (next year) gets released.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Probably unrealistic, but I'll post it anyways.
1. Dark Pit is a huge NO. Characters that can just be costumes like Daisy, Dark Link, Blood Falcon or Starly should NOT be separate characters. It's a waste. Regardless of weather he has different moves we have Pit and a color that makes him Dark Pit. It's a huge waste of a slot that could be taken by someone else. Also Palutena should be are only KI rep. The only other person I see is Medusa as a Semi-Clone of her, and that's already unlikely.

2. Why OOT Ganondorf, but nobody else????????????? Why OOT Ganondorf at all???

3. Prof. Layton???? No. Nintendo uses Third-Party Characters that have been around for a long time and have good (emphasis on good) move move set potential. and too many third parties.

4. Alph is unnecessary if Olimar is confirmed. Just give all the Pikmin to him. Olimar has 5 Pikmin. Why would Alph have only 2. I can assure you those 2 Pikmin will appear alongside Olimar.

5. If you want a fourth or female FE rep I think it should be Lyn or Roy.

6. Get rid of Tom Nook for the same obvious reasons and replace Dixie with King K. Rool.

7. I'd pick Tingle as the 5th rep if not Skull Kid.

Your Old Roster Was Much Better....

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Wolf is nothing like Fox and plays completly differnetly. Falco also plays differntly from Fox. Same goes for Lucas and Ness. Just ugh... have you ever played these characters you claim to be clones? Toon Link is meant to be a faster version of Link as he is child Link. You only plausible argument when it comes to Brawl clones is Ganondorf. e_e
Your missing the point.

I know these aren't clones, we all know that. I'm not arguing that sakurai gave us clones. He didn't. but he certainly gave us characters out of a "who could be a clone" barrel of choices for reps and then made them not clones.

Think about it, your developing Brawl and you don't have those characters (wolf lucas etc..) in smash yet and you sit down to choose the roster sakurai PICKED a lot of SIMILAR characters to get spots. he TENDS to do this.

Are you ASSUMING I'm saying Alph and Nook would be clones or something? No. they wouldn't. They'd be like Wolf and Lucas to Ness and Fox... technically play different but aesthetically... it's another pikmin using spaceman and another animal crossing items using guy! If the rosters 55-60 spots, sure why not. BUT If we end up with 40-45 spots, these characters should NOT be the choices to fill those spots. Thats what happened with Brawl.

Personally, and what I seem to see everyone else asking for, is DIVERSITY in the roster. This was the same thing in Brawl, it's why we were all shocked we got Wolf with a Landmaster over Krystal, a female staff weilder rep, and not another guy with a gun, a shield, a dash move etc... yes he PLAYS different but he also is PAINFULLY similar to 2 other characters on a very tight roster. we could have had ridley OR K Rool OR Ashley OR... point is, Sakurai picks characters that we basically already have and gives them a spot and instead of DEFENDING them as not clones, we need to recognize how they take up space and shouldn't be on there... not that it will change anything but I just don't like being O.K. with "could-a-been" clones because they "play" different. So would ANY other character! what we get is the BARE minimum of playing different with these kind of choices.

So just be prepared to brace for Alph, Nook, Dixie, Toon Zelda etc... yeah they'll play different but will we be very happy with that roster? probably not.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have played Ness and Lucas and although their moves have different power, speeds, etc. They are still very similar

Ness up b is a yo-yo while Lucas does the flare magic. Both hit the character upward but Lucas is more powerful.

I would say they are at least semi-clones.

The Star Fox characters are a little more different. Falco moves a lot different than his clone-mode in Melee but they do have some similarities. They are less of clones than Ness or Lucas but I can see how people would say they play similar.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I would call Toon Link and Link clones. For more than 2 reasons.

Others can be called clones due to similar B moves. Wolf plays differently yes. All his A moves are different from Fox/Falco. But when you're recovering you feel as if you're using Fox/Falco/Wolf at that point in time. Therefor, there are clones, half clones, and Pseudo-clones imo.

D

Deleted member

Last I checked, Wolf was actually more expected and requested in the long run.
The 'shock' was from the very loud Krystal fanbase.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I consider Ness/Lucas to be clones. Lucas just has altered moves that are buffed. For examble his side b freeze move is more powerful than Ness. His FS is a little stronger. His stick is more powerful than the bat (not sure why) and his up smash is more powerful than the up yo-yo smash of Ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom