• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Couldn't you argue that Hylia is just as important? Not that I'm looking to get into any specifics...

On an entirely unrelated note, if Wario did warrant having a second representative in Smash Bros., who would seem ideal? Jimmy for seniority? Ashley out of popularity? Syrup out of representing a different side of the series?
Waluigi.
Moron.

Syrup, obviously.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Couldn't you argue that Hylia is just as important? Not that I'm looking to get into any specifics...

On an entirely unrelated note, if Wario did warrant having a second representative in Smash Bros., who would seem ideal? Jimmy for seniority? Ashley out of popularity? Syrup out of representing a different side of the series?
Ashley. After all, I made her support thread and all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Would love to see Captain Syrup. If they really want to represent Wario, Warioland desperately needs to be shown some love.
It is Wario's first stand alone franchise, unless we count the one-off Wario's Woods.

Plus Syrup had a revival! And Sakurai LOVES revivals, right? .... RIGHT?

volbound1700

Smash Master
The list isn't totally complete, but:

[collapse="Zelda characters and their appearances"]
List of major story-related Zelda characters that have appeared in more than one Zelda game:
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf (OoT, WW, TP)
  • Ganon
  • Young Link (OoT, MM)
  • Impa (going by name: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OoT, OoS, OoA, SS)
  • Twinrova (OoT, MM, OoS, OoA)
  • Vaati (FS, FSA, MC)
  • Toon Link (WW, PH, ST)
  • Tetra (WW, PH, FSA)
  • Toon Zelda (WW, ST)
  • Linebeck (going by name: PH, ST)
  • ALttP Link (ALttP, LA, OoS, OoA, possibly ALttP2)

List of major story-related Zelda characters that have only appeared in one Zelda game:
  • Agahnim (ALttP)
  • Navi (OoT)
  • Sheik (OoT)
  • (Majora) Skull Kid (MM)
  • The King of Red Lions (WW)
  • Midna (TP)
  • Zant (TP)
  • Byrne (ST)
  • Groose (SS)
  • Fi (SS)
  • Ghirahim (SS)
List of recurring Zelda characters:

• Epona
  • Deku Tree
  • Kaepora Gaebora
  • Happy Mask Salesman
  • Beedle
  • Biggoron
  • Maple
  • (Regular) Skull Kid
  • The Postman
List of characters named Tingle:

• Tingle (MM, OoA, WW, MC, SS as an easter egg, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Love Balloon Fight)
[/collapse]

The characters in green are characters that have been in Smash Bros. either in the form as a playable character or an Assist Trophy. Take note that the only playable characters so far have been the major story-related ones. The only exception to this is Sheik, who is already Zelda in the first place as well as that OoT has been re-released a multitude of times, as well as that it has gotten a recent remake. None of the other one-off characters have the advantage of familiarity and veteranship that Sheik has.

That being said, it's realistic to say that it's unlikely that Majora Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim will ever be in Smash Bros. unless they're involved in a future Zelda game, none of which appears to be likely considering Majora was destroyed in a parallel universe to Hyrule (having no effects of consequence on the main timeline), Midna has gone back to her realm never to see Link again, and Ghirahim was abolished away by the end of Skyward Sword.

So can we stop trying to beg for one-offs when they're unlikely to happen based on what evidence we have from 3 Smash Bros. games?

Technically they could always find a way to bring them back.

Midna - Was only involved in one timeline, it is safe to assume that the mirror and perhaps fused shadows are in the other two timelines. You could always make her appear in some other way or find her way back as well.

Majora- Same logic as Midna. Majora has only been destroyed in one of the timelines.

Ghirahim - He could always be revived with dark magic.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Technically they could always find a way to bring them back.

Midna - Was only involved in one timeline, it is safe to assume that the mirror and perhaps fused shadows are in the other two timelines. You could always make her appear in some other way or find her way back as well.

Majora- Same logic as Midna. Majora has only been destroyed in one of the timelines.

Ghirahim - He could always be revived with dark magic.
They all have ways, but the question is... Will this actually happen?

Probably not.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People saying that those Zelda villains could reappear remind me of people saying that Waluigi could have been the antagonist of Dark Moon or the next 3D Mario game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People saying that those Zelda villains could reappear remind me of people saying that Waluigi could have been the antagonist of Dark Moon or the next 3D Mario game.
True. As much as I'd like to see those characters return, I don't find it likely. And I also agree with God Robert's Cousin. The only one-off character that has made an appearance as a playable character is Sheik, but that's only because she IS Zelda (I hope Diddy doesn't see this :p). The characters at the top list and in the "Tingle category" have the best shot.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Would love to see Captain Syrup. If they really want to represent Wario, Warioland desperately needs to be shown some love.
It is Wario's first stand alone franchise, unless we count the one-off Wario's Woods.

Plus Syrup had a revival! And Sakurai LOVES revivals, right? .... RIGHT?

I love Captain Syrup and her candied crew. I hope she makes a return... she feasibly could get involved with the WariorWare crew without it being too weird. Candy Pirate mini-games would fit in just fine.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I love Captain Syrup and her candied crew. I hope she makes a return... she feasibly could get involved with the WariorWare crew without it being too weird. Candy Pirate mini-games would fit in just fine.
Yeah, I love Captain Syrup. She should get in if Wario deserves another rep. Though I'm fine with Ashley.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to take a third option. Waluigi.

"But Waluigi isn't in Wario Land or WarioWare!"
Honestly, I doubt that would matter at all to Sakurai. It seems more up his alley to make a WarioWare styled Waluigi just to keep him tied to Wario.

He made a monstrous version of Bowser.
He possibly planned to make a Wind Waker version of Sheik.
He made a character that previously didn't exist just to represent the Game & Watch franchise.

So what difference would making a WarioWare styled Waluigi be? It's not like Sakurai is innocent in making original designs for characters either (i.e. Star Fox crew, Pit, etc.).

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

personally im on Mona's side

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm going to take a third option. Waluigi.

"But Waluigi isn't in Wario Land or WarioWare!"
Honestly, I doubt that would matter at all to Sakurai. It seems more up his alley to make a WarioWare styled Waluigi just to keep him tied to Wario.

He made a monstrous version of Bowser.
He possibly planned to make a Wind Waker version of Sheik.
He made a character that previously didn't exist just to represent the Game & Watch franchise.

So what difference would making a WarioWare styled Waluigi be? It's not like Sakurai is innocent in making original designs for characters either (i.e. Star Fox crew, Pit, etc.).
The difference is one is changing a character to fit a role (boss, clone, and amalgamation - even though G&W did exist prior to Melee, just not the Mr. G&W identity) and one is arbitrarily shoving a character into a series they've never been in for the sake of a second rep. If Sakurai wanted to include Waluigi, he'd include him under Mario, what logic would there be in putting him under Wario, he's never been in a Wario game? If it didn't matter to Sakurai, he wouldn't have categorized him under Mario in Brawl, and there's really nothing since then that would seemingly make him change his mind.

He's made odd decisions before, but there's very little reasoning behind thinking he'd do this. Because he's made unpredictable, strange choices before? Not this kind of choice, and really that's just an excuse for people to justify things that normally would have no weight behind them. "Well it could happen, Sakurai is unpredictable." Sure it could happen... but it almost definitely won't. Sakurai doesn't seem to care that much about series equality to misrepresent the series and include a character that never actually appeared in said series (your examples are just different versions of a character already in their series).

Not to say he wouldn't include Waluigi at all, just until he makes an overdue appearance in a Wario game, he'd be a Mario character.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The difference is one is changing a character to fit a role (boss, clone, and amalgamation - even though G&W did exist prior to Melee, just not the Mr. G&W identity) and one is arbitrarily shoving a character into a series they've never been in for the sake of a second rep. If Sakurai wanted to include Waluigi, he'd include him under Mario, what logic would there be in putting him under Wario, he's never been in a Wario game? If it didn't matter to Sakurai, he wouldn't have categorized him under Mario in Brawl, and there's really nothing since then that would seemingly make him change his mind.

He's made odd decisions before, but there's very little reasoning behind thinking he'd do this. Because he's made unpredictable, strange choices before? Not this kind of choice, and really that's just an excuse for people to justify things that normally would have no weight behind them. "Well it could happen, Sakurai is unpredictable." Sure it could happen... but it almost definitely won't. Sakurai doesn't seem to care that much about series equality to misrepresent the series and include a character that never actually appeared in said series (your examples are just different versions of a character already in their series).

Not to say he wouldn't include Waluigi at all, just until he makes an overdue appearance in a Wario game, he'd be a Mario character.
I always thought that he would be a Mario spin-off character like DK, Yoshi, and Wario are but representing the sports, kart, and party games.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I missed something in the last few pages, but how is Jigglypuff low priority?
The Starfox character designs are all based on their Command style with a few differences, mostly in wolf's case, and making Waluigi wouldn't fit because, as you said, he's never been in a Wario game before unlike the characters you mentioned who have all, technically, been in their respected games. Overall, I'm just saying if Waluigi WAS in, he'd be counted as a Mario character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I always thought that he would be a Mario spin-off character like DK, Yoshi, and Wario are but representing the sports, kart, and party games.
As long as Sakurai categorizes the Mario spin-offs along with the rest of the Mario series as one big entity (for the most part, there are a few places they are separated) I don't see this happening, but if it changes there's always the possibility, Waluigi would be more than qualified.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
As long as Sakurai categorizes the Mario spin-offs along with the rest of the Mario series as one big entity (for the most part, there are a few places they are separated) I don't see this happening, but if it changes there's always the possibility, Waluigi would be more than qualified.

Waluigi and maybe even Daisy could be considered Mario Party characters. With the die as the logo. I Mean Yoshi, and Wario, are pretty much Mario characters, but Sakurai classified them as Yoshi and Wario characters respectively. If you look back at the very first game Mario was in, it was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(video_game). So technically all of the "Mario" characters are actually DK characters.

D

Deleted member

What logic would there be in putting him under Wario?

I don't know, probably the fact that Waluigi is typically associated with Wario?
Bear in mind, that I didn't say in terms of arbitrarily shoving Waluigi as a Wario character for the sole purpose of giving the franchise another character. If it were all about giving the series another character, then arbitrarily shoving in someone like Captain Syrup, Mona, Jimmy T., Ashley, or even Shake King would be the way to go.
It's for keeping Waluigi with Wario for the sake of keeping Waluigi with Wario. Other than the whole "he isn't part of Wario's games" excuse, what logic is there to keep Mario, Luigi, and Waluigi all tied together while Wario is not even associated with any of them? It would make more sense to have Waluigi with Wario, even if it has to break "canon".
We've already got a case where the two are connected in Smash when they "shouldn't" be; the Waluigi Pinball music in Brawl. It contains a sample of Wario's victory theme within it. Said victory theme is from later released game Wario Land: Shake It!, in which Waluigi was not present, and was used for the victory theme for the WarioWare franchise in Brawl, a series Waluigi is also not present in.

Giga Bowser is a "Smash Bros." character. Not a "Mario" character. So no, there's an example of a different version of a character not within their series.
And as I said, Mr. Game & Watch never existed prior to Melee. So that's another case that isn't "just different version of a character already in their series".
The only example I gave that fits is Toon Sheik. And last I checked, 1 out of 3 is not a majority. :/

I also never brought up series equality, so at that point, you're arguing a strawman. And if you think in terms of putting the Wa Bros. together, that actually holds more weight than you realize.
At this point, making definitive statements such as this is honestly laughable. We really don't know for sure; all we can go by is possibility for either case. I'm not saying it will happen to where Waluigi is added to be part of Wario's crew in Smash. All I'm saying is that it's possible and reasonable despite being a bit of a head-scratcher.
Especially if you consider that Nintendo R&D1 hates using characters they didn't create (which is part of the reason Wario was created in the first place, to be a parody of Mario to express that hatred), making an actual appearance in Wario games by Waluigi to be a pipe dream, as sad as it is.

Maybe I missed something in the last few pages, but how is Jigglypuff low priority?
I keep explaining this.
Jigglypuff was towards the end of character data after R.O.B. along with other veterans Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario, as well as Newcomers Toon Link, Wolf, Toon Zelda/"Toon Sheik", and theoretically, "pra_mai". If she was not low priority, she would be inbetween Ness and Bowser in the data instead.
This meant that she was among the expendable characters if time would not allow for everyone planned.
And no, being "easy to make" is not an excuse. Mr. Game & Watch was pretty much the easiest character to make in the series, and he was still among the higher-priority veterans rather than with Jigglypuff and co.

The Starfox character designs are all based on their Command style with a few differences, mostly in wolf's case, and making Waluigi wouldn't fit because, as you said, he's never been in a Wario game before unlike the characters you mentioned who have all, technically, been in their respected games. Overall, I'm just saying if Waluigi WAS in, he'd be counted as a Mario character.
Other than face structure, the SF characters are pretty much original design. There's more differences than similarities to Command style.
And that doesn't change my example of Pit, who was given a completely different design to what he had before for the sake of "modernization" (and no, Uprising wasn't even considered at that point). In a semi-related example, he was also given a style not seen within his series, having a new bow that could be used as a dual-sided blade that splits into two.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
People sure are talking about this as if these categories mean more than simply what icon they use...

As far as what icon Waluigi should get, the only things that make sense are a giant W or a giant Γ.

I mean, I'm personally in favor of all the characters just getting their own icon. How freakin' hard would that be?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
if theres another Wario rep i'd want Ashley or Syrup.

Still can't understand why people want the Baby Mario Bros in Smash though........

volbound1700

Smash Master
People sure are talking about this as if these categories mean more than simply what icon they use...

As far as what icon Waluigi should get, the only things that make sense are a giant W or a giant Γ.

I mean, I'm personally in favor of all the characters just getting their own icon. How freakin' hard would that be?
I actually like the series but I am in favor of sticking Yoshi and Wario with the Mario series icon. They have spin-off games but they are really Mario series characters. DK and Diddy arguably could be as well but I say keep them seperate because they have more indepedence in their game design.

D

Deleted member

why not just give Waluigi a tennis racquet icon it'd make sense
Actually, that would make a lot of sense.
Waluigi is pretty much the main Mario Tennis representative, being created in that series. :laugh:

And maybe his victory music would be from this:

....though it probably wouldn't happen.
Shame, though. That would make him separate from Mario and Luigi while not being "arbitrarily" being included with Wario.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Waluigi is also in Mario Kart, Mario Baseball, Mario Golf, Mario Soccer, Mario Party, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Game series so he could have all those icons as well.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Sorry guys. When I post it dpesnt't show me that it posted, so I keep clicking the damn thing and it posts twice

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Finally somebody explains the Waluigi belongs with Wario situation like I couldn't. Thank you sir.
For a Wario representative. I would want either Waluigi, Jimmy T. Or 9-Volt.
No man. Yoshi's island. His own series. Warioware. His own series. Donkey Kong Country. His own series.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Waluigi is as unlikely as Skull Kid and Midna from the previous discussions. I would be shocked if he made it into the game. I believe we will get Toad, Bowser Jr. and Daisy before Waluigi.

Reznor

work in progress
Waluigi is as unlikely as Skull Kid and Midna from the previous discussions. I would be shocked if he made it into the game. I believe we will get Toad, Bowser Jr. and Daisy before Waluigi.
just saying Waluigi is a assist trophy in Smash while skull kid and Midna aren't so ya hes more important

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wut? he's far more likely than Midna or Skull Kid.

Toad and Bowser Jr.deserve to get in before him, yes, but Daisy? I don't think so.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Mario Charatcers Rankings
1Paper Mario
2Toad
3Bowser Jr.
4THE WAA
5Dr. Mario Returns
6Rosalina
7Daisy
999999999999999999.7 Geno

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Alrighty there padre. If Classic Link was a replacement for Toon Link, I severely doubt it would be solely because he is in the newest game. Besides, WWHD comes out after ALBW anyways. If it happens it'll be because he wants to represent a different, older, and lesser known area of the LoZ Series. The Fact that it's getting a reboot does help matters though.
Next, you say these opinions of yours as if they are fact, like you are declaring something. Maybe you don't realize it, so I'm letting you know. Classic Link actually has a much different moveset potential than normal link, even compared to toon link. They are about even, but if ALBW has the same items and such as OOS, OOA and ALTTP, he will actually have MORE of an opportunity to have a unique moveset.
Smaller with different clothes...and a different face and hairdo. So just like Toony? SO illogical omg im urked
Also...OOA and OOS can be used...because they are games with Classic Link.
And you used the correct structure for your last sentence, in ACTUALLY declaring a fact when being declarative, but you should leave the last part out. Because frankly, you have no idea. You are a normal human being and cannot tell the future.
I disagree with the face part, and the Hair isn't THAT different. Also where did you get the future telling part. I never said Classic Link isn't going to be in it. I said that I don't think for a second that he would be in over Toon Link. And how does he have MORE of an opportunity of being unique? Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass can have just as many items. He has more of an oppurtinity of uniqueness because he can have that AND look more unique.

Also for the record I never concealed nor acted as if my new named account was someone else's (though I made it for my brother mostly). I simply posted what I posted, I didn't HAVE to say who I was. Posting the roster showed I was so much as affiliated with that person's account. I prefer the title of that account.

Also I would never spam a report button just because somebody didn't agree with me. That's not what the report button is for.

Watch Waluigi get revealed tomorrow. I'll lol

No but seriously. 9-volt man.
Pretty sure, 9-Volt is the only other Wario rep that would get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom