• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I still think that if Toon Link stays Toon Zelda&Tetra are going to be the most likely new Zelda rep, if Zelda gets a new rep. Then in the next Smash game If the Toons remains then we will see Toon Ganaondorf and thus have 2 complete sets from the Zelda games. :L

volbound1700

Smash Master
Eh, this isn't really a point. I have an account on Wikipedia, and I can just as easily make a page on Ghirahim or Vaati.

EDIT: I think we've come to an agreement though. :)
Actually you cannot just edit the main Zelda page and pages do exist for characters.

@ Noah - What makes Midna a dumb idea? Every poll indicates she been more popular than any of the advice companions in Zelda (over Navi, Tatl, Fi, and King of Red Lions).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What about Operation Moonfall & Majora's Mask in Animal Crossing New Leaf?

So, what you're saying is that we should pad out the varies series with incredibly minor characters?
He has a point. I think :link2: :zelda: :ganondorf: :toonlink: is ALL we need. The 4 necessary Zelda characters.

I don't think it should be anybody, but this.

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually you cannot just edit the main Zelda page and pages do exist for characters.

@ Noah - What makes Midna a dumb idea? Every poll indicates she been more popular than any of the advice companions in Zelda (over Navi, Tatl, Fi, and King of Red Lions).
Well Midna is the most popular because she isn't annoying. LOL. Just saying. I actually liked King of Red Lions more. Mostly because he doesn't grind poor animals... :awesome:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, Noah, please back up your claims instead of spewing garbage. It's one thing to say something is true, and another thing when it's actually proven.

If you're disguising a lie as a truth, that will hurt your credibility.

volbound1700

Smash Master
So, what you're saying is that we should pad out the varies series with incredibly minor characters?
Sakurai likes characters that add unique playstyles.

A list of Nintendo characters I think will be well received and add value/playstyle wise to the game:

Bowser Jr.
Midna/Wolf Link
Skull Kid
Prince Fluff/Yarn Kirby
Krystal
Ridley (could be similar to Charizard)
Any sorceror character from Fire Emblem series
Saki
Little Mac
Duck Hunt Dog
Takamaru

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Several Stupid Characters Are Requested.

Morbi

Scavenger
or we could add Vaati as a villian for the toon series and not another Toon version of a character we already have.
I actually agree with this. Toon Zelda seems more likely because she is one of the 7. However, I would actually prefer Vaati... by far.

The hell?
Mostly a joke... but Midna does bump and grind on Links back. It is canon, bro.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Any link in that art style is Toon Link. Toon Link is a generalization of Cel shaded link. This is fact. And Toon Link is part of a stage. Maybe he's planned a replacement, like Young Link or Classic Link. But I doubt any of you could convince me that toon link has not been removed, or is not likely to go.
Maybe he'll return if they call him Wind Waker link
Nope. If you readed the Toon Link trophy, you will see it refers to him specifically as the Link from Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass which is the same. There is no evidence that this also refers to the Links from Four Swords Adventures, Four Swords, Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks (which came out AFTER Brawl.)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
My theory is Toon Zelda was removed from Brawl because it was excessive an unnecessary.
It's like having Paper Mario and then adding Paper Peach. You made your point with one Toon Character.

Besides I thought smash fans hated Semi-Clones :p

So Skull Kid is in your most recent roster because.....? :confused:
The mere possibility that Toon Link may be removed.

D

Deleted member

Low priority =/= definate cut. The reason Jigs is low priority is because it is eseay to create but just because it is low priority doesn't mean it doesn't have one heck of a chance to get into the new game.
a) Never argued that it was a definite cut. Just that she isn't a definite stay.
b) Until you have a source to back up the "easy to create" case, do not use it. We have Mr. Game & Watch as pretty much the easiest character to make, and Mr. Game & Watch was not among the low-priority characters. Jigglypuff was.

I think she would have higher priority this time around. I don't have any proof, but I feel that since she managed to survive the axe in Brawl, her position on Smash Bros. is kind of cemented.
Not a really good way to think, to be honest.

One major reason is because the implied reasoning she was low-priority in the first place is still in effect; no longer heavily promoted, which is something Sakurai said is what he looks at when it comes to Pokémon.
And no, being one of many Pokémon to gain the new Fairy Type doesn't mean much.

Gune

Smash Lord
My theory is Toon Zelda was removed from Brawl because it was excessive an unnecessary.
It's like having Paper Mario and then adding Paper Peach. You made your point with one Toon Character.

Besides I thought smash fans hated Semi-Clones :p

The mere possibility that Toon Link may be removed.
We hate clones that dont make sense aka Falcondorf. Toon link and Toon zelda make sense as clones.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
We hate clones that dont make sense aka Falcondorf toon link and toon zelda make sense as clones.
Of course they are, but that's not what I hear most of the time if you ask me.

However Toon Link & Lucas should have their own PSI & Items.

I like semi-clones though. Adding a character like Wolf and putting a unique twist on Fox's moves is cool :p

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
The list isn't totally complete, but:

[collapse="Zelda characters and their appearances"]
List of major story-related Zelda characters that have appeared in more than one Zelda game:
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf (OoT, WW, TP)
  • Ganon
  • Young Link (OoT, MM)
  • Impa (going by name: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OoT, OoS, OoA, SS)
  • Twinrova (OoT, MM, OoS, OoA)
  • Vaati (FS, FSA, MC)
  • Toon Link (WW, PH, ST)
  • Tetra (WW, PH, FSA)
  • Toon Zelda (WW, ST)
  • Linebeck (going by name: PH, ST)
  • ALttP Link (ALttP, LA, OoS, OoA, possibly ALttP2)

List of major story-related Zelda characters that have only appeared in one Zelda game:
  • Agahnim (ALttP)
  • Navi (OoT)
  • Sheik (OoT)
  • (Majora) Skull Kid (MM)
  • The King of Red Lions (WW)
  • Midna (TP)
  • Zant (TP)
  • Byrne (ST)
  • Groose (SS)
  • Fi (SS)
  • Ghirahim (SS)
List of recurring Zelda characters:
  • Epona
  • Deku Tree
  • Kaepora Gaebora
  • Happy Mask Salesman
  • Beedle
  • Biggoron
  • Maple
  • (Regular) Skull Kid
  • The Postman
List of characters named Tingle:
  • Tingle (MM, OoA, WW, MC, SS as an easter egg, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Love Balloon Fight)
[/collapse]
The characters in green are characters that have been in Smash Bros. either in the form as a playable character or an Assist Trophy. Take note that the only playable characters so far have been the major story-related ones. The only exception to this is Sheik, who is already Zelda in the first place as well as that OoT has been re-released a multitude of times, as well as that it has gotten a recent remake. None of the other one-off characters have the advantage of familiarity and veteranship that Sheik has.

That being said, it's realistic to say that it's unlikely that Majora Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim will ever be in Smash Bros. unless they're involved in a future Zelda game, none of which appears to be likely considering Majora was destroyed in a parallel universe to Hyrule (having no effects of consequence on the main timeline), Midna has gone back to her realm never to see Link again, and Ghirahim was abolished away by the end of Skyward Sword.

So can we stop trying to beg for one-offs when they're unlikely to happen based on what evidence we have from 3 Smash Bros. games?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The list isn't totally complete, but:

[collapse="Zelda characters and their appearances"]
List of major story-related Zelda characters that have appeared in more than one Zelda game:
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf (OoT, WW, TP)
  • Ganon
  • Young Link (OoT, MM)
  • Impa (going by name: Zelda 1, Zelda 2, OoT, OoS, OoA, SS)
  • Twinrova (OoT, MM, OoS, OoA)
  • Vaati (FS, FSA, MC)
  • Toon Link (WW, PH, ST)
  • Tetra (WW, PH, FSA)
  • Toon Zelda (WW, ST)
  • Linebeck (going by name: PH, ST)
  • ALttP Link (ALttP, LA, OoS, OoA, possibly ALttP2)

List of major story-related Zelda characters that have only appeared in one Zelda game:
  • Agahnim (ALttP)
  • Navi (OoT)
  • Sheik (OoT)
  • (Majora) Skull Kid (MM)
  • The King of Red Lions (WW)
  • Midna (TP)
  • Zant (TP)
  • Byrne (ST)
  • Groose (SS)
  • Fi (SS)
  • Ghirahim (SS)
List of recurring Zelda characters:

• Epona
  • Deku Tree
  • Kaepora Gaebora
  • Happy Mask Salesman
  • Beedle
  • Biggoron
  • Maple
  • (Regular) Skull Kid
  • The Postman
List of characters named Tingle:

• Tingle (MM, OoA, WW, MC, SS as an easter egg, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Love Balloon Fight)
[/collapse]

The characters in green are characters that have been in Smash Bros. either in the form as a playable character or an Assist Trophy. Take note that the only playable characters so far have been the major story-related ones. The only exception to this is Sheik, who is already Zelda in the first place as well as that OoT has been re-released a multitude of times, as well as that it has gotten a recent remake. None of the other one-off characters have the advantage of familiarity and veteranship that Sheik has.

That being said, it's realistic to say that it's unlikely that Majora Skull Kid, Midna, or Ghirahim will ever be in Smash Bros. unless they're involved in a future Zelda game, none of which appears to be likely considering Majora was destroyed in a parallel universe to Hyrule (having no effects of consequence on the main timeline), Midna has gone back to her realm never to see Link again, and Ghirahim was abolished away by the end of Skyward Sword.

So can we stop trying to beg for one-offs when they're unlikely to happen based on what evidence we have from 3 Smash Bros. games?
That's why we should support Vaati! :awesome:

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
  • Toon Link (WW, PH, ST)

Hey hey hey, the Link from Spirit Tracks is not the same Link as WW and PH, sir. Buy if you're reffering to the use of the model of Toon Link, you should include Four Swords Adventures, Four Swords, Minish Cap.

Also, no Ezlo in major story-related characters?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, I don't really get Ghirahim either. He's like a much less popular Midna, and Midna didn't get in either.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, let's not forget Toon Link comes from a different game than Adult Link. Therefore, if they do get around on changing his movepool, they'd give him items and skills that only appear/appear more commonly in games were the "toon" artstyle is used (ex. Grappling Hook, Mole Mitts, Bombchus, Hurricane Spin, etc.)

Speaking of Zelda characters that need to be more than just a clone... wouldn't it be cool if Ganondorf used a trident or something?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think any of the villains in the series other than Ganon (and by extension Ganondorf) outrank Toon Link (WW) in terms of importance to the series. So I don't see any of the replacing Toon Link's spot. If Zelda got a fifth slot, then we can talk about these other characters, but all that really comes down to preference, especially the villains. Most of Zelda games have been really critically received well, so it's hard to compare them in that aspect. The villains don't really sell or add to the game critically, as they all have been great bosses (aside from Skull Kid). Being a reoccurring character hasn't helped other Zelda characters before, other than Tingle, who has his own game anyway. But Tingle is also a character so hated, that they decided to not include him in TP. So it's all just debate about who you lioke more when it comes down to it.

I think when it comes down to it, the best person to replace Toon Link is a new Young Link (Classic Link) (ALTTP). But there really isn't a need as he would be just another "clone." Which doesn't make sense with Toon Link or any Link for that matter. If you designed any Link and he was the only Link you had in the game, you would give him bombs, arrows, a boomerang, a hookshot, and a swordspin. Why should Toon Link or any other Link be needlessly differentiated to make him use less of the Zelda series iconic weapons? All that matters is that the play different, and all you need to look at is a tier list to know that they do.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Hey hey hey, the Link from Spirit Tracks is not the same Link as WW and PH, sir. Buy if you're reffering to the use of the model of Toon Link, you should include Four Swords Adventures, Four Swords, Minish Cap.

Also, no Ezlo in major story-related characters?
Like I said, it wasn't a complete list, but it got the point out. Toon Link is plenty recurring and important. You and I both know that.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Everyone's throwing out these characters like Ghirahim, Toon Zelda, Vaati and Skull Kid, and while I respect all of them, we all know who the REAL next Zelda rep is going to be:

:troll:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
or we could add Vaati as a villian for the toon series and not another Toon version of a character we already have.
I guess you just don't get the reasoning I have state multiple times of hainv Toon Zelda&Tetra. I ONLY say Toon Zelda&Tetra IF we keep Toon Link and Get Toon Ganondorf in the next Smash after Smash 4. That way we can have 2 complete sets from the LoZ games. e_e

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess you just don't get the reasoning I have state multiple times of hainv Toon Zelda&Tetra. I ONLY say Toon Zelda&Tetra IF we keep Toon Link and Get Toon Ganondorf in the next Smash after Smash 4. That way we can have 2 complete sets from the LoZ games. e_e
Eh, do we really need Toon Ganondorf for the 2nd set? I'd say Vaati fits in nicely.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't see why we should have Toon Ganon in ssb5 if he's only appeared in one game

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Three pairs of clones. Delightful. :ohwell:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Nah, pretty sure Tetra and Toon Ganondorf won't be clones.
I meant "clone" as in "incarnation". Tetra is clearly not a ninja and Toon Ganondorf is easily different. We don't need multiple Toon characters. We only need one. It'll get stale if we overdo it. That was what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom