• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Here are my choices for third party fighters

Sega: Sonic
Capcom: Mega Man Volnutt
Konami: Simon Belmont
Square: Chrono, Geno, Mallow
Namco: Pac Man
Rare: Banjo-Kazooie
Sony: Sir Daniel Fortesque
iD: Doom Guy
LucasArts: Darth Vader
Disney: Donald Duck
Marvel: Spiderman
DC: Batman
Wasn't expecting Sony there, but I like you for picking Sir Dan. Those non-video game characters though. :urg: Banjo is depressing and so is Simon over Snake.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Whoever has been correcting my posts, thank you, I am on my phone so its sometimes hard to group the quotes

Stork or kamek that's it.
Kamek is my number one hopeful newcomer for SSB4!
no Spike from Sony. i am dissapointed

p.s Lucasarts is closed
LucasFilms then, I need a mock company to include Vader. Sir Dan is better than everyone from Sony

Wasn't expecting Sony there, but I like you for picking Sir Dan. Those non-video game characters though. :urg: Banjo is depressing and so is Simon over Snake.
That's just me dreaming lmao. Do you prefer Simon? Banjo... I know that feel :(

Last edited:

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Most likely yes if we just look at Pokémon popularity, Jigglypuff's seniority however may have that be a bit more debatable. Honestly though, as much as I hate to admit it, PT (or at least Charizard) probably would have the best chance of staying if it came to trimming down the cast as Lucario, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff don't have as much prominence as him and his Pokemon and Charizard himself is easily a more popular Pokémon then them.

As for the rest, I agree with SuperNintendoDisney's list minus maybe Falco/Wolf.
Why does everyone think Falco and Wolf aren't essential? StarFox characters are among the most iconic and memorable out of all of Nintendo's stables

?????????????

Smash Master
Pokemon characters?

Jigglypuff is so traditional, I highly doubt it's leaving, though I don't care either way.

I wasn't a huge fan of Pokemon Trainer, but I think it's a unique enough idea, supports an important aspect of the game, and if it took priority in Brawl over Mewtwo, I don't see why it wouldn't again. As far as development time goes, I'm not really worried. SSB4 started with a much larger development team than Brawl did (if I'm remembering quotes correctly), plus they don't have to worry about Subspace. They should have enough time to add whatever they want to add.

Lucario doesn't have much reason to leave. Mewtwo is the one I'd want to see the most. Anything else looks excessive to me, though I am a Meowth fan.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Pokemon characters?

Jigglypuff is so traditional, I highly doubt it's leaving, though I don't care either way.

I wasn't a huge fan of Pokemon Trainer, but I think it's a unique enough idea, supports an important aspect of the game, and if it took priority in Brawl over Mewtwo, I don't see why it wouldn't again. As far as development time goes, I'm not really worried. SSB4 started with a much larger development team than Brawl did (if I'm remembering quotes correctly), plus they don't have to worry about Subspace. They should have enough time to add whatever they want to add.

Lucario doesn't have much reason to leave. Mewtwo is the one I'd want to see the most. Anything else looks excessive to me, though I am a Meowth fan.
i like the idea of Meowth myself. but i feel at this point he isnt gonna make it. if this was Melee than sure but now the series is so large i just dont see him makin it.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
I love any pokemon rep either way but why do people care if pkmn trainer is excluded cause the concept is important to the franchise. He/she isn't playable and stand in the background doing squat and is easily forgotten in smash's frantic matches. the pokemon are the ones we love to have and play as. So take out trainer there shouldn't be a problem.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I said:
You play Pokemon for the Pokemon, not the trainer. It's why is the game called "Pokemon" not "Pokemon Trainer" or "Gotta catch em all"

You said:
So?

So i said:
So the Triforce should be playable because it's important in Zelda? (sarcasm)

As in important things from the series don't necessarily need to be playable, such as Pokemon Trainer, while the Pokemon by themselves work as a concept.
  1. Who was talking about the Pokemon Trainer himslef being actually playable?
  2. Why are you comparing an important CHARACTER to an important OBJECT?
Why...even...for what?...just forget it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I like the PKMN Trainer as a character and concept, I would agree with the notion that it should be the first to be picked apart or cut if necessary. You can still keep Charizard because he's iconic and the most popularist.

But I'm still hoping for no cuts to be honest.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I love any pokemon rep either way but why do people care if pkmn trainer is excluded cause the concept is important to the franchise. He/she isn't playable and stand in the background doing squat and is easily forgotten in smash's frantic matches. the pokemon are the ones we love to have and play as. So take out trainer there shouldn't be a problem.
personally i like the option of switching characters mid battle. Charizards easily my least liked of the 3 tho. idc about the trainer myself its just the option to switch it up

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Why does everyone think Falco and Wolf aren't essential? StarFox characters are among the most iconic and memorable out of all of Nintendo's stables
They're notable, but they're not to the level of say, the Mario quartet or Triforce of Zelda. You don't necessarily need both to complete the franchise's representation, one or the other can do it on their own as either can serve as the representation of the rival aspect of the series.

Are we basing the seniority off of Smash, or Pokémon? If it's the latter, then it's terrible reasoning.
Regardless, I'm going based off of say "If Smash started with 4, who would be "essential"?" Lucario isn't really essential, but he's much more essential than Jiggly in this case scenario.
I can't say I completely disagree with you on that, Lucario does have more prominence in his series then Jigglypuff and he's much more a staple in it. Jigglypuff though is a very liked character hailing from the series' first and because of that has a special place with the fans of the series. So due to that, I can see her still have some sort of case to be made.

Reznor

work in progress
I never understood why people like a ****ty pokemon like Charzard
he looks like a generic dragon (the other starters were way more original)
he sucks in battle (has sucked since 1st gen)

Venusaur was and still is the best starter for battling
Blastoise looks the coolest

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I strongly believe there's going to be a Yoshi character. Its probably going to be kamek but you never know with sakuri.
I don't know about that.
Yoshi only needs Yoshi: It's one of those series that is fine with solely its main character.
Hody hody hold it.
I love Charizard. Yes, Venusaur is amazing. But Charizard is not useless, and he looks awesome.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Okay, so I have made a new roster, let me know what you guys think

View attachment 7370

Reasoning:
  • Charizard - I know what you're thinking, why cut Pokemon Trainer and put in Charizard? It boils down to allocating development time, and priorities. Is it worth pouring so much time and effort to design a character? My reasoning is no it isn't. Pokemon Trainer would take the time of several characters to make again, due to the balance. I will explain in further detail if I must, but it takes a while to explain. Also, Charizard being the most popular of the three, his return makes sense in the light of Pokemon Trainer being cut.
  • Shulk - I previously had Isaac on here, but I am constantly jumping between them for the most part. Isaac has more games, but Shulk has the Muhrecency.
  • Robin - Uniqueness, i feel, is key this time around. Robin fits the bill perfectly, especially from a game where most of the reps have all been a "Lord with the Sword." It's getting redundant and would be a nice switchup.
  • Vaati - He's one of the few recurring characters in Zelda games, other than Impa. He's got plenty to draw from for a moveset, so it won't be difficult to make him unique.

There's my roster guys, what do you think? :awesome:
(+) are good, (-) are bad, (0) are neutral

Characers:
Palutena as I have stated waaaaay too many times by now is super likely because Sakurai developed the new Kid Ikarus (+)

Mewtwo is the only sensible pokemon addition IMO from gen 6 due too 1. popularity 2. being a vet 3. having two mega evos 4. being the most powerful pokemon in the game (+)

K. Rool is the most logical choice for a DK rep being the main antagonist (+)

Vaati is kind of pushing it. Both toon Zelda and Impa have a higher chance of getting in due to amount of games they were in, importance, being more recent and likability. I can see why you would want him though :) (-)

Shulk's game Xenoblade Chronicles sold very well and got a 9/10 on IGN (+)

After looking more into Robin in FE Awakening, the character seems more likely than I thought being one of two main protagonists. Still I would assume Chrom has a better chance being a descendant of Marth so (0)

Ridley as stated before is up in the air ever since the stage announcement, I believe in him, but logically that would be (0)

Takamaru I believe to be the likely retro rep (+)

Mii doesn't fit into brawl. It is a person. Miis are barely video game characters are NOT a Nintendo all star they are the gamer. While I can see Sakurai adding it in, it is just too strange to agree with (-)

The Decision:
All together you scored an great +3 congrats! I would be happy with your character choices although I don't agree with Miis being in smash. I would like to see Vaati, but it won't happen in Smash 4.

Format:
This is a very new and refreshing layout. I could see each players character spot going in one of the four corners (+)

Separating the Retros is very strange IMO (-)

Mii shouldn't be with the 3rd Party cast (-), but the 3rd party cast is together (+) so that's (0)

Separating the solo reps is strange also (-)

The Decision:
All together you scored a paper cut of a -1 The layout is very refreshing to see, but you place a lot of individual characters strangely.

The Result: Your character list looks pretty solid, but your formatting can use some work.
You scored a +2 congrats it's positive!

D

Deleted member

Here are my choices for third party fighters

Sega: Sonic
Capcom: Mega Man Volnutt
Konami: Simon Belmont
Square: Chrono, Geno, Mallow
Namco: Pac Man
Rare: Banjo-Kazooie
Sony: Sir Daniel Fortesque
iD: Doom Guy
LucasArts: Darth Vader
Disney: Donald Duck
Marvel: Spiderman

DC: Batman
You can only have one Disney.
Pick between Vader, Donald, and Spidey.

Reznor

work in progress
I don't know about that.
Yoshi only needs Yoshi: It's one of those series that is fine with solely its main character.
your opinion is wrong Yoshi can have more than 1 rep
Hody hody hold it.
I love Charizard. Yes, Venusaur is amazing. But Charizard is not useless, and he looks awesome.
Stealth Rocks :awesome:
hell even before stealth rocks he sucked has one of the worst typing ever
he looks unoriginal hes just a red dragon :glare:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I think it's hard to talk about transforming characters right now. In Brawl the amount of time it takes to transform is too variable and too long; it becomes somewhat unreliable. I could see some limitations on the 3DS's ability to hold that many models off hand in memory being a limiting factor. I could see something similar happening to Zelda/Sheik as well, which makes me find Impa slightly more likely.

If the 3DS can manage transforming characters than I'll believe Pokemon Trainer and Sheik; otherwise I'll stick to Charizard and Impa. I have no idea whether or not it can though, and we have no evidence in either direction currently given how simple the models for the pikmin and Luma are. I think we need more data to talk about either objectively.

In other news I was playing Mach Rider a few minutes ago and it reminded me of how much I want him in Smash. I really hope he gets in! His theme music is so cool and I think he could have a really neat moveset. I feel like I'm convincing myself of his chances when they are not actually all that good though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
No.
Yoshi doesn't need a character because Yoshi is arguably the only notable character in the franchise.
Metroid has Ridley.
I'm on the good side of this argument. Kamek is plenty notable. Arguably more than dare I say it Ridley.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think we should just drop the Pokémon topic anyways, it's almost as bad as FE.
Nothing can be as bad as FE...

I'm on the good side of this argument. Kamek is plenty notable. Arguably more than dare I say it Ridley.
Not really, Kamek is just another higher level minion in Mario, Ridley's the arch-nemesis and rival of the main character. Ridley's more like Bowser then he is Kamek and due to that, has more relative importance and nobility then Kamek would.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
your opinion is wrong Yoshi can have more than 1 rep

Stealth Rocks :awesome:
hell even before stealth rocks he sucked has one of the worst typing ever
he looks unoriginal hes just a red dragon :glare:
Yes Yoshi could have more than one rep, but who would it really be?

I can think of Kamek and the Baby Bros both are just a little unreasonable. While the babies could be a cool unique tag team, mario and luigi are already in the game and if you use the Toon Link arguement, Mario and Luigi are semi-clones as well. Also paper mario would get more priority for a new mario. Kamek I'm just not really sure about.

Reznor

work in progress
Yes Yoshi could have more than one rep, but who would it really be?

I can think of Kamek and the Baby Bros both are just a little unreasonable. While the babies could be a cool unique tag team, mario and luigi are already in the game and if you use the Toon Link arguement, Mario and Luigi are semi-clones as well. Also paper mario would get more priority for a new mario. Kamek I'm just not really sure about.
Baby Bowser could be an awesome rep

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
Anna is the most logical and true-to-the-series Fire Emblem newcomer

I think the people are merely accusing them of being clones. The thing to keep in mind, however, is that Falco is Fox's best Arwing pilot and good friend, while Wolf is Fox's main rival. Overall, they're both quite important.
I whole heartedly agree. StarFox was an extremely popular series and is just one of those series with characters so iconic and essential. Falco and Wolf are to Fox what Meta Knight and Dedede are to Kirby

they are memorable because they are always top tier hell most people I know that use them have never played Starfox
You could say the same about half the Smash Bros. cast

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the people are merely accusing them of being clones. The thing to keep in mind, however, is that Falco is Fox's best Arwing pilot and good friend, while Wolf is Fox's main rival. Overall, they're both quite important.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Kamek is (dare I say it) a generic enemy, even though I love the guy (and his incredible them song from Paper Mario Sticker Star).
Ridley and Metroid have had a bigger impact on Nintendo and are more iconic and recognizable than Kamek or Yoshi (as a series), as Kamek is usually called "Magikoopa" and the Yoshi series is oftentimes considered part of the Mario franchise.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

You're a prophet. Charizard is the most overrated Pokémon, hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom